As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Education, food, and Idiocracy: How we're not getting dumber

Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4toArlington, VARegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
A friend of mine and her sister got in a conversation with me about how everyone is getting stupider, how we're only being taught to the test, and how in an ideal world we should be testing people for their right to have children.

My points were that there were 2 main ways to make sure that people are smart--
A)That they are fed during development
B)That they are educated

The counterpoint is that education has also gotten worse.

Can someone defend this standpoint? Not the eugenics one, but that people are being dumber and that we were taught better before standardized testing?

We quickly started arguing about standard testing, with me saying that while they're not perfect, standard tests force teachers to focus on actual topics rather than what the teachers biases are.

I'm sorry for the scatterbrained OP, but misanthropy pisses the hell out of me. I'll get on writing a better one when I'm calmer.

Ethan Smith on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I teach, but not for schools, but I don't remember being taught "how to pass a test". I remember being taught content on a test, and sometimes we'd learn how tests were written and how to better read them. I don't recall the bulk of education being rooted in standardised tests.
    Standardised tests are also a necessary evil. Person A from Maine needs to be compared to Person B from Oregon.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Research continually shows that testing is still one of the best ways for memory retention. Be it standardized or localized, testing is one of the best forms of learning we have. Of course there are pitfalls with testing, but you do your best to mitigate the damage.

I find "teaching to the test" a cop-out phrase most often used by University dropouts and media-fed children.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I heard the following at work the other day.
    "If you want to work at a place like this, you'll have to go to college!"
    "That's stupid, I don't need to go to college."

Hearing those words dumbfounded me. For as long as I could remember I was excited about college. Being able to study whatever I want? Choose the field I spend the rest of my life in? Make a lot of money which I can use to buy neat shit? How the fuck is that not exciting?

edit: That same school, minutes before, had a bunch of kids jumping and trying to touch a very old, very fragile, very important, and very expensive piece of technology. Since no chaperones were doing fucking anything, I shouted to the kids, "Don't touch that, its worth more than you are." A teacher later lodged a complaint against me saying that I should've used different phrasing.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Research continually shows that testing is still one of the best ways for memory retention. Be it standardized or localized, testing is one of the best forms of learning we have. Of course there are pitfalls with testing, but you do your best to mitigate the damage.

I find "teaching to the test" a cop-out phrase most often used by University dropouts and media-fed children.

Well the issue would be that many forms of tests improve memory (and knowledge) at the expense of 'higher more important skills'.

Leitner on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If they're going to argue that people are getting dumber, they should define compared to whom? Have we been getting dumber over the past few generations, or is this a trend since the dawn of time?

I think both are demonstrably false.

Your post's focus on standardized testing and "teaching the test", both relatively new concepts in America, makes me understand that your friends think we've been getting dumber over the past few generations. Yet a few generations ago you could have a solid career and a good life straight out of high school. Today, you can't, our educational standards have shifted to an undergraduate degree being the norm to have a professional career. And in fact there's a growing pressure for more; it wouldn't surprise me if the minimum for my children is a Master's degree. It's already the case in the business world, where you can't consider moving up the ladder without an MBA.

If you're referencing Idiocracy (as in your title) and the trend for dumb people to have more kids than intelligent ones and bring human average down, I'd argue that, first of all, intelligence is not a hereditary trait, and second, the intellectual elite has always been smaller (and therefore slower to reproduce) than the average population. In fact it was much more so in the Ancient World, where a mere 5% to 10% (in the best best of times) of the population was even literate. Yet one can easily argue that the average intelligence level of the population is higher now than it was 4000 years ago. The literacy and rudimentary math and science skills of even a "dumb" person today would catapult him to the top of the intellectual scene of the antique world.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    edit: That same school, minutes before, had a bunch of kids jumping and trying to touch a very old, very fragile, very important, and very expensive piece of technology. Since no chaperones were doing fucking anything, I shouted to the kids, "Don't touch that, its worth more than you are." A teacher later lodged a complaint against me saying that I should've used different phrasing.

That teacher's dumb. That was the best phrasing for that warning ever.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I told that story to the equipment's operator. He laughed and said, "That's a good one. I usually tell them its electrified and will kill them if they touch it."

edit: I swear I heard the teacher rush to the group of kids I shouted at (had to shout, lots of noise and only way to be heard, this wasn't yelling) and say something along the lines of, "don't listen to that, you have worth."

Improvolone on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can someone defend this standpoint? Not the eugenics one, but that people are being dumber and that we were taught better before standardized testing?

According to my research, it appears that average IQ scores have been rising by an average of 3 points per decade. This would not lend much creedence to the idea that people are just getting dumber.

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/bul/95/1/29/

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    When it comes to ranking schools, at least in Florida, they keep changing the point system. It has become impossible to legitimately compare one year to another even in the same school because of this.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    ATIRageATIRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree with the sentiments so far. Education is pretty good for the average American citizen (granted there are still pockets of grosse inequity between children which is a different subject). The common counter, as already mentioned, is that standardized testing is a show of how well you can remember or do functions from rote, as opposed to higher order reasoning, argument construction, and logic.

First and foremost, american education is great but could be improved. I think education is amazing in this country considering the options students have, and lack of a nationalized curriculum. I believe that having national requirements for learning would be better for students for example:
    Requirements in Math, Reading, American History, Civics, Physical Education, and arts.

I would argue that these two forms of learning are NOT mutually exclusive and in fact med school and law school use both to make excellent professionals. All of the exams at my schools require us to remember things from rote. But only having that guarantees getting only a moderate score on the exam. To do better the exam also requires a student to apply their rote skills to a situation that was not covered in class, to test a student's ability to apply their knowledge and defend a course of action.

I think when people say "kids are dumber" they are reacting to a more basic feeling that we don't understand what the kids are doing these days, and don't understand their behaviors, therefore they are behaving like idiots. Although this is a far easier conclusion to come to (because it allows alienation and separation from the need to understand a child's behavior), i would not say that the conclusion is correct. For example: When I was young it was considered dumb behavior to play video games when other methods of having fun were available. (I am sure many adults called the younger member of these forums stupid for playing too damn many video games) Today though, as the kids of my generation have gotten older, video games are seen less as a waste of time and are a legitimate source of entertainment (no longer relegated to "dumb kid" behavior).

ATIRage on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wonder if it doesn't seem like we're getting dumber because we have more exposure to the "average person" in media today. Instead of just the official author, announcer, reporter, actor or whatever today we see average, untrained people in the spotlight all of the time: reality television, YouTube videos, comment sections, forums, you name it.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    I wonder if it doesn't seem like we're getting dumber because we have more exposure to the "average person" in media today. Instead of just the official author, announcer, reporter, actor or whatever today we see average, untrained people in the spotlight all of the time: reality television, YouTube videos, comment sections, forums, you name it.

Honestly, the feeling I had was that it was a combination of this, and misanthropy/nostalgia, that says that we've been getting dumber.

@Richy--the argument was that it was in the last 50/100 years. My argument was that even if there is grade inflation, and even if IQ tests are bullshit, that we've been doing better and that we have more widespread education, and more regulations for that education, should speak for itself.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    basinobasino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think we need to define what we mean by "intellect". To me that is just the in born ability and a separate concept from education. Someone that is born with a 150 IQ would still be just as intelligent with an elementary school education as with a Phd.

basino on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe point them to the Flynn Effect? For whatever IQ tests are worth, we've had to make them harder year after year for practically a century now.

enc0re on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lets put it this way:

Do you think the average person 100 years are was more knowledgable about the world than the average person today? Or even 75 years ago? Or even 50? Or even 25?

Because I'm fairly confident in saying that no, no way in hell were they. We have the internet. At all times I have more information at my fingertips then people imagined was possible when I was born. I mean, shit, if there's anything I'm curious about I can look into it with virtually no effort at all, and so can almost everybody else. The problem as I see it is that people don't have the desire to do so *edit* and futher that even if they do far too many people haven't developed the skills necessary to filter and process all the information they'll find.

What I think we need to do is focus our educational systems more towards critical thinking skills, trying to get kids to be interested in the world around them and just learning in general. Complaints about "teaching the test" strike me as kind of missing the mark. Testing is not inherently a bad thing, just depends on what you're testing.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    On eugenics: if anyone tries to scare you about stupid people having children, remember that the idea of a general intelligence factor is not clearly evident, never mind its heritability. This doesn't say that a general intelligence factor doesn't exist, or that it isn't heritable if it exists; it only says that there the evidence either way is shaky at best. We're talking "worse than even very shoddy economics" here. There just isn't enough data.

But suppose that it does exist, that differences are significant, and that heritable intelligence has a substantive impact (which is possible - we just don't know). If anyone tries to scare you about stupid people having children, close your eyes and remember your EC10: comparative advantage! Comparative advantage! You, individually, would not be materially better off if society exterminated the bottom ten percent alive now; why would you be better off if society prevented them from ever existing?

But suppose that your interlocutor disputes the use of static analysis. Look to the long run, s/he says. Well, generations of people are pretty darned long, and in this particular long run, short of cryogenics, we are all dead. But say we care anyway. Then remember that technology advances, and it advances at a far more rapid pace than human evolution; if (for whatever reason) you believe that somatic genetic engineering will never hit prime-time, there is always the fact that technology amplifies the useful effects of intelligence faster than intelligence decreases in even the darkest dreams of Charles Murray.

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest. About this:
    A friend of mine and her sister got in a conversation with me about how everyone is getting stupider, how we're only being taught to the test, and how in an ideal world we should be testing people for their right to have children.

My points were that there were 2 main ways to make sure that people are smart--
    A)That they are fed during development
    B)That they are educated

The counterpoint is that education has also gotten worse.

The counterpoint makes no goddamn sense. If one genuinely believes in the heritability of stupidity, so much so that one enthusiastically proposes to violate the rights of millions of people in order to save humanity from the stupidity apocalypse, then a one-off improvement or deterioration in the quality of education will generally not mitigate this. The stupid people will still breed. You would have to believe that education improves future education so fast that it outweighs the heritable effect, which frankly seems implausible, unless we find a way to imprint understanding into brains directly.

And why tie yourself to the difficult statistical lodestone of trying to separate effects over time when you can compare regions, right now, in the similar periods of time and nutritional wealth and culture, that practice standardized testing (or don't?). This puts a cap on how large the effect can plausibly be in either direction, at least.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Who is saying that people are getting dumber? Old people? Old people are famous for being the originators of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

My grandparents are old people. They think they're brilliant, and that the world is full of young idiots. My grandparents never went to college. My dad's mom never finished high school. My dad's dad didn't even go to high school.

Obviously, they know a little something about stupid young people.

Atomika on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    But suppose that it does exist, that differences are significant, and that heritable intelligence has a substantive impact (which is possible - we just don't know). If anyone tries to scare you about stupid people having children, close your eyes and remember your EC10: comparative advantage! Comparative advantage! You, individually, would not be materially better off if society exterminated the bottom ten percent alive now; why would you be better off if society prevented them from ever existing?

That's quite possibly the best argument I've ever read in D&D.

adytum on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    People were definitely smarter when they were spending their childhoods trying not to die in safety-free factories instead of going to school

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is also an incredible disparity in ideas about what sort of knowledge, and what sort of applications of intelligence, are considered important by different generations. Since it's difficult to assess how intelligent and knowledgeable some one is in areas with which you yourself have no context, it's easy to dismiss people of different generations or backgrounds whose life experience has given them the incentive to apply their intelligence in different ways. As the complexity of society increases and specialization becomes more of a factor, this leads to a smaller and less important common body of knowledge, and so the perception that people are becoming less intelligent.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    People were definitely smarter when they were spending their childhoods trying not to die in safety-free factories instead of going to school
    Don't forget the children working in mines digging up coal. They were the smartest of all.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    People are undoubtedly getting smarter; there's simply no disputing it.

It's worth asking if the world is getting more complicated (especially technologically) faster than we're getting smarter, though. The issues of today aren't tariffs or the gold standard (for the most part) but whether to adopt fission power or whether to fund embryonic stem cell research.

I'm honestly undecided. It would certainly help if we could raise the average a little around here.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I realize this goes broader than the OP intended, but whenever topics like this get brought up I always like to try and break through the myopia of Fortress America.

Global Illiteracy since 1970:
    300px-World_illiteracy_1970-2010.svg.png

Internet Subscription Rates since 1997:
    800px-Internet_users_per_100_inhabitants_1997-2007_ITU.svg.png

Mobile Phone Subscription Rates since 1997:
    674px-Mobile_phone_subscribers_per_100_inhabitants_1997-2007_ITU.png

For the first time in the history of the world a majority of its population live in cities, above the poverty line, with access to information that they are literate in. Not that literacy or formal training alone is proof of intelligence. There are plenty of Phd's who are complete idiots. However it is something that can be measured and shit has been improving like gangbusters.

*edit*
    Gah, transparent charts. They link to the wikipedia page now if you can't quite see the fiddly bits.

moniker on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's only a small majority that live above the world poverty line of $2 / day, FWIW.

adytum on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    On eugenics: if anyone tries to scare you about stupid people having children, remember that the idea of a general intelligence factor is not clearly evident, never mind its heritability. This doesn't say that a general intelligence factor doesn't exist, or that it isn't heritable if it exists; it only says that there the evidence either way is shaky at best. We're talking "worse than even very shoddy economics" here. There just isn't enough data.

Also, remember to ask them where they got the information about 'stupid' people having more kids.
    People are undoubtedly getting smarter; there's simply no disputing it.

It's worth asking if the world is getting more complicated (especially technologically) faster than we're getting smarter, though. The issues of today aren't tariffs or the gold standard (for the most part) but whether to adopt fission power or whether to fund embryonic stem cell research.

I'm honestly undecided. It would certainly help if we could raise the average a little around here.

I think this is a far more interesting question. The extent of knowledge available exceeds the capability of everyone, yet even those who complain about standardized testing being all about just knowing stuff and not 'reasoning' or whatever would still laugh at people who don't have a decent knowledge of a vast amount of different topics.

In fact, I think because we have gotten smarter that we all notice when a few don't have knowledge about certain things.

That said: The idea of "smart people not breeding as fast as dumb people" COUPLED with "people have gotten dumber over a lifetime or two" should be insanely hilarious to anyone with a basic understanding of evolution and genetics and shit like that.

Julius on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's also an issue with epigenetics.

Rats have displayed epigenetic effects to the effect that a rat raised in a stimulus poor environment will have children that solve mazes slower for up to 3 generations. If you weren't looking for epigenetic effects, you would look at this and say that "Therefore intelligence is heritable", ignoring that if you brought up her children in stimulating environments for a few generations the effect would go away. It's uncertain if an exactly analogous effect operates in humans, but we certainly engage in a lot of DNA methylation and so forth.

But if you see estimates for heritability of IQ - of which there are a lot - it's something to bear in mind.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd like see more data about US K-12 education compared to other countries. It's easy to find data showing that the test scores in the US are much lower than any other first would country, in pretty much every category. But then people argue that the US education does well in things like creativity and innovation which are hard to test. Is there any hard data to back that up?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    I'd like see more data about US K-12 education compared to other countries. It's easy to find data showing that the test scores in the US are much lower than any other first would country, in pretty much every category. But then people argue that the US education does well in things like creativity and innovation which are hard to test. Is there any hard data to back that up?

I think even if the data exists, it's hard to put together a viable theory because there are too many cross-cultural factors shaping each situation. Like, does it matter what your PISA score is if your country is a communist state that stifles the economic factors necessary for innovation?

Mainland China scores the highest on the PISA tests, yet mainland China is poverty-ridden and has an overall literacy rate up to 13% less than Western countries. This means two possible conditions could be happening, possibly at the same time:
    - The PISA tests are skewed due to foreign corruption. Asian nations, especially China, are renowned for corrupting data by influencing control groups to achieve better scores. I mean, shit, China rigged it's own Olympics. I simply don't implicitly trust data from mainland China, or many of the Asian nations for that matter.
    - The PISA tests are missing something. A nation that ranks best in the world in the category of reading, 17 spots and 55 test points higher than the US, shouldn't have 87% literacy rates, compared to the West's average of 99%.

The PISA scores list China, South Korea, and Singapore as three of the top five scoring nations, yet the peripheral data doesn't jibe with those numbers. All three nations have significantly lower literacy rates than the West. Mainland China has a PPP ranking of 96th. The US is 5th. As matter of fact, the global PPP rankings are dominated by Western nations, with only three asian nations in the top 30.

So, global scoring comparison studies are important, but they aren't the alpha and omega of achievement rankings.

Atomika on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The whole idea that the uneducated underclasses are outbreeding the educated elite and this means we're getting dumber as a species has been around basically since we developed the dual concepts of underclasses and education. And yet, miraculously, we've continued to advance as a species against that inexorable and mostly fictional wave of oncoming ignorance.

I would argue that our education system isn't failing, it's actually succeeding. It's just trying to do a lot of the wrong things. We're still working on an industrial, "turn out as many worker drones as possible" model, with some left over ideas from the enlightenment about what it means to be "educated" thrown in for flavor. This is not a 21st Century educational system.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The whole idea that the uneducated underclasses are outbreeding the educated elite and this means we're getting dumber as a species has been around basically since we developed the dual concepts of underclasses and education. And yet, miraculously, we've continued to advance as a species against that inexorable and mostly fictional wave of oncoming ignorance.

I would argue that our education system isn't failing, it's actually succeeding. It's just trying to do a lot of the wrong things. We're still working on an industrial, "turn out as many worker drones as possible" model, with some left over ideas from the enlightenment about what it means to be "educated" thrown in for flavor. This is not a 21st Century educational system.

While I agree, I think a lot the older models still apply for the severely underdeveloped nations, like Afghanistan and Pakistan, where literacy rates and PPP are impossibly low. 3 out of 4 people in Afghanistan can't even read.

Atomika on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

While I agree, I think a lot the older models still apply for the severely underdeveloped nations, like Afghanistan and Pakistan, where literacy rates and PPP are impossibly low. 3 out of 4 people in Afghanistan can't even read.
    The industrial models work for countries that are industrialized or industrializing. I don't really know that either Afghanistan or Pakistan really count. Afghanistan is still primarily agricultural, and while Pakistan has some significant industry it's got a lot of very backward places that are decades away from industrializing if they ever do at all.

The real problem with the American model when it comes to comparing test scores internationally is that we try to educate all of our children (via the public education system). This isn't the case in a lot of countries, where students are tracked into apprenticeships or put to work at some point before we would be graduating them from high school. Most of the rest of the industrialized world is still working with the industrial education models too, we just insist on holding practically everyone until they're 18 whereas a lot of places they would be entering the workforce.

This sort of thing is why comparing test scores internationally is a really poor metric for determining the effectiveness of educational systems. there are just too many variables for that kind of testing to have any real value until you've basically controlled for enough things to render it a shapeless goo of data.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The real problem with the American model when it comes to comparing test scores internationally is that we try to educate all of our children (via the public education system). This isn't the case in a lot of countries, where students are tracked into apprenticeships or put to work at some point before we would be graduating them from high school. Most of the rest of the industrialized world is still working with the industrial education models too, we just insist on holding practically everyone until they're 18 whereas a lot of places they would be entering the workforce.

This sort of thing is why comparing test scores internationally is a really poor metric for determining the effectiveness of educational systems. there are just too many variables for that kind of testing to have any real value until you've basically controlled for enough things to render it a shapeless goo of data.

Exactly. But people go apeshit over things like PISA scores and relative poverty scores and healthcare data.

It's really frustrating to constantly be told how badly America is performing, when there's very little meaningful examples of such a thing.

Atomika on