As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Archive - Still open for business!

• Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    Another thing, while I don't actually do LPs, I do regularly entertain passerbys / visitors / friends when playing a game for the first time, just because of my way of playing. It's pretty much what Helloween does (playing around with the physics engine for no reason while making silly comments, trying to break the game by leaving the actual game area (or attempting it), comitting suicide in the silliest ways etc.)
    So basically, instead of concentrating on playing the game as best you can, you could also try and just have fun.
    (Different people consider different things fun, mind, so if you're the type of person who considers grinding your character for 2 hours is fun, don't :P)

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    just make a thread

you can also do it like me and be a super effective German killing machine.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    Meaning you are super effective, German and a killing machine? Or you super effectively machine-kill Germans? :P
    I don't plan to do a super-efficient playthru of the game, because a lot of fun can be taken from senseless deaths, stupid choices and other nonsense. One thing I do like to do in games I play, especially of this genre, is manipulate the physics to do absolutely absurd shit that you would never think possible. There's been quite a few times where I'll be playing something with a friend, and they will just bug out and be like "How the FUCK did you do that?" Lol, I love that shit.

• Options
    MalachaiMalachai Registered User new member
    In my opinion, dubbing it after-the-fact takes a lot of the entertainment value of it. It would be like listening to someone commentate a Starcraft/Street Fighter/Football/whatever game that they had already watched. A lot of the emotion and surprise is gone. You'll also have to stop yourself from saying things like "Here I'm about to die from doing something stupid... yep there I go." You also lose that "raw" feel that live LP's have.

To me, Let's Plays are like being there while the person actually plays the game. When you dub over pre-recorded video it becomes Director's Commentary. Exceptions would be if you are doing something very difficult like speed runs, 100%/S Rank runs, etc.

I agree with doing Afro Samurai. I'd wager there aren't many out there and I personally would love to see it. Look forward to hearing updates, regardless of how you decide to do it.

• Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    Meaning you are super effective, German and a killing machine? Or you super effectively machine-kill Germans? :P
    I don't plan to do a super-efficient playthru of the game, because a lot of fun can be taken from senseless deaths, stupid choices and other nonsense. One thing I do like to do in games I play, especially of this genre, is manipulate the physics to do absolutely absurd shit that you would never think possible. There's been quite a few times where I'll be playing something with a friend, and they will just bug out and be like "How the FUCK did you do that?" Lol, I love that shit.

Yes, that'd definitely make for an LP that I'd like to watch :D
    But what's even better is when the LPer (that'd be you) himself goes "What the FUCK just happened?!" due to game glitches etc.
    I have this really weird bug in Just Cause 2 for example, where I'll be going to a certain air base to steal a G9 Eclipse, and upon entering the plane (which Rico does by grappling onto the cockpit and swinging himself into it) Rico is flung roughly 2 km eastward (not sure about the direction) and dies. The first time that happened I sat there for a few minutes just going WTF and laughing my ass off.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Malachai wrote:
    In my opinion, dubbing it after-the-fact takes a lot of the entertainment value of it. It would be like listening to someone commentate a Starcraft/Street Fighter/Football/whatever game that they had already watched. A lot of the emotion and surprise is gone. You'll also have to stop yourself from saying things like "Here I'm about to die from doing something stupid... yep there I go." You also lose that "raw" feel that live LP's have.

To me, Let's Plays are like being there while the person actually plays the game. When you dub over pre-recorded video it becomes Director's Commentary. Exceptions would be if you are doing something very difficult like speed runs, 100%/S Rank runs, etc.

I agree with doing Afro Samurai. I'd wager there aren't many out there and I personally would love to see it. Look forward to hearing updates, regardless of how you decide to do it.

I actually agree with you, that I prefer "live" commentary over post commentary, but the problem is very few people can pull it off well unless they have other people with them to handle part of the conversation. Additionally if they're LPing a game they've played before then that element of surprise is already gone, anyway. It's just not as easy to talk and play games as it sounds, especially if you're trying to play a game skillfully.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The way you handled the GTA LPs with us was pretty cool Adus, I thought that worked very well.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    I dunno. Ideally I would have streamed it to the commentators so I could play for them live, but getting something like that running smoothly is sometimes more trouble than it's worth. If I ever do another LP it'll be that way because I'd like the commentators to have some input in what I do.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    So I just saw this thread for the first time, and now I feel like I hijacked josh's QFG LP. My bad, man. Should have asked explicitly first.

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I will be doing Afro Samurai for my first Lp. It is decided. Also, thanks for all the input guys. I will create the thread when I have determined the actual start-date of recording..(should be relatively soon). Be on the lookout.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote:
    So I just saw this thread for the first time, and now I feel like I hijacked josh's QFG LP. My bad, man. Should have asked explicitly first.

I'd been asking for somebody to do a Wizard since the beginning man. No worries! Plus, it really doesn't have to be all about me. I promise. In fact, it's better if it's not.

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    plus in your defense josh is a horrible horrible LPer so you're distracting his audience from the visual trainwrecks that are his LPs

• Options
    edited August 2011
    also have you guys seen that erotic fanfic about SA LPers it is literally The Worst Thing

ed: or best, i am split
    Proteus then signed out of Ventrilo, and Diabetus felt a strong sense of pride in having recorded a Retsupurae. Knowing he had been a part of making something so popular filled him with pride and honour. He smiled to his Retsupurae partner Slowbeef, who he knew would be feeling the same feelings that he was feeling.

COOL STORY BRO

Rent on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    WHY?! Why does that awful thing keep showing up literally everywhere LPs are involved?!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Being an "LP Superstar" probably sucks because you basically get all the negatives of being a movie star (attention from a lot of really weird people) but without the benefits of being paid loads of money or being respected for your abilities.

• Options
    Adus wrote:
    Being an "LP Superstar" probably sucks because you basically get all the negatives of being a movie star (attention from a lot of really weird people) but without the benefits of being paid loads of money or being respected for your abilities.

lps are getting to the point where i think they're this close to being a successfully monetizable thing- retsupurae's yt account has like 32k subs with 14 mil channel views... that's gotta be close to 'youtube partner' status

and do the T40s have like...actual jobs? because as far as i can tell those dudes just spend every day doing LPs (at least im pretty sure their lbp2 vids are posted the same day theyre recorded) and getting donations/ad revenue from blip and such

eventually some game dev is gonna wake up and realize that having an lp of their game would be a really great and easy to produce bonus feature of special editions of their games and start contracting to the "big names" in lp

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Tipping 40's have jobs and they record a full week's worth of videos in one day, usually on the weekend. As far as ad revenue and donations go, I doubt they make very much at all. I don't think their videos get more than a few thousand views. People who mostly stick to SA usually have fewer fans and such compared to some people on Youtube who just aim to please the masses by multiple videos a day of crappy mario romhacks. Even if you do find a way to get paid for it the money would probably be shit. I'll be pretty shocked the day someone can live on making LPs and even more shocked if the content they produce isn't awful.

Also why the fuck do you have MoJ in your av/sig?

Adus on
  • Options
    Moon over june is high art and a brilliant work of entertainment, much like any deceased crab lp

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I want more of that fanfic, personally.

So, Fallout. It's a game I haven't played yet. I may be recording my exploits through the post-apoc world.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Is this a good or a bad thing that having dipped my toe into the LP pool co-LPing the Quest for Glory series with josh, I've already got my mind on a second game I want to LP.

I guess what I'm trying to ask, have I started a decent into madness?

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    I want more of that fanfic, personally.

So, Fallout. It's a game I haven't played yet. I may be recording my exploits through the post-apoc world.

have fun ya fuckin weirdo (contains erotica and slash, probs NSFW)

ed: do you want to do SSLPing again or vlping syphyre

• Options
    Screenshot. I don't think I'm funny enough or interesting enough just talking about a game off the top of my head, so a video LP is out.

Plus, the game I want to do is Legend of Mana. RPGs tend to do better with SSLPs (at least in my opinion looking at various LPs here and around the web.)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Screenshot LPs have a charm to them.

• Options
    Do you want your lp to be funny, informative, or both

Are you aware that making your own lp means you will have very few views (Josh is kind of an exception because he's p popular here, he isn't really the norm)

Are you aware of the amount of work and effort that goes into lping RPGs; talk to adus about it sometimes, it is one of the most aggravating things he has to do ( keeping his ffvii lp updated)

Not trying to scare you off but piggybacking on someone elses lp and making your own are two completely different things

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I don't think there's anyone who could pull off a complete VLP of an RPG going solo, and even with a group that's a tricky thing to pull off. Probably the best way is to screenshot the majority and then maybe make videos of important stuff like boss battles, cutscenes, or other interesting things.

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    Are you aware that making your own lp means you will have very few views (Josh is kind of an exception because he's p popular here, he isn't really the norm)

What the fuck, Rent.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Screenshot LPs have a charm to them.
    I think it's the only way I could do it.
    Schide wrote:
    I don't think there's anyone who could pull off a complete VLP of an RPG going solo, and even with a group that's a tricky thing to pull off. Probably the best way is to screenshot the majority and then maybe make videos of important stuff like boss battles, cutscenes, or other interesting things.
    Exactly.
    Rent wrote:
    Do you want your lp to be funny, informative, or both
    Informative foremost, but with my best attempt at humor, or at least entertainment.
    Rent wrote:
    Quite possible. And I completely realize that SSLPs aren't as looked at as VLPs because people have to actually read the crap.
    Rent wrote:
    Are you aware of the amount of work and effort that goes into lping RPGs; talk to adus about it sometimes, it is one of the most aggravating things he has to do ( keeping his ffvii lp updated)

Not trying to scare you off but piggybacking on someone elses lp and making your own are two completely different things
    Yeah...I may be piggy backing off josh's QFG LP, and I was certainly doing so the first game, but I would have to say I've produced almost as much material as he has for the second (Piotyr too, not leaving him out). It's a LOT of work I know, and I wouldn't kill myself trying to do daily or anything more than probably weekly updates.

Maybe there's another question I should ask about LPs in general. Do people watch LPs of any old game? Or do they watch LPs of games they know and love and want to see someone else's take on it? I'm going to guess at the answers and assume that it's mostly the latter, but the former if it's a truely interesting read/watch.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    Rent wrote:

What the fuck, Rent.

oh noes i said something that was true!!!!

what a dick i am

ed: you realize i include myself in that assessment right? its like...i dont want people to start lping because they think theyll become INTERNET SUPER STARS and quit due to lack of interest (which happens ALL THE FUCKING TIME on this forum)

Rent on
  • Options
    It's discouraging dude. Jesus Christ, what am I gonna fucking do with you being in this thread?

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Syphyre wrote:
    Maybe there's another question I should ask about LPs in general. Do people watch LPs of any old game? Or do they watch LPs of games they know and love and want to see someone else's take on it? I'm going to guess at the answers and assume that it's mostly the latter, but the former if it's a truely interesting read/watch.

it depends. personally im the former, and i would agree that most people who watch lps are the same way- sort of. most people have "fave lpers" that they follow regardless of what they're lping (in my case it's Chip and ironicus and pokecapn and crew), but after their "fave lper" they usually just follow whatever interests them

because this forum doesnt really have "super stars" except for helloween, klyka, and josh (kinda), you should probably pick a game that a lot of people like/love if youre going after pageviews (see: aduss, FFVII)
    Henroid wrote:
    It's discouraging dude. Jesus Christ, what am I gonna fucking do with you being in this thread?

there's a difference between being discouraging and being realistic. you are objectively wrong here, people should know full well going in that they're not gonna get famous doing LP on PA, they should be doing it because they love to LP, not for e-cred (however meaningless that is)

i mean at this point you seem to be flipping out about me being honest.

Rent on
  • Options
    Syphyre wrote:
    Yeah...I may be piggy backing off josh's QFG LP, and I was certainly doing so the first game, but I would have to say I've produced almost as much material as he has for the second (Piotyr too, not leaving him out). It's a LOT of work I know, and I wouldn't kill myself trying to do daily or anything more than probably weekly updates.

fair enough i havent read the thread in forever so my mistake

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Syphyre has done just as much work as I have on the QFG LP, and I can vouch that people will read a SoM LP if he chooses to do so. Enough folks know who he is now, and SoM is a pretty well-known game. I had less recognition than that going into IWBTG (the overplayed status of which I was woefully unaware of prior to my LP) so I don't think it would be ignored.

Not to disparage my own work, because I like what I do or I wouldn't do it, but it's all for fun. If I ever found out nobody wants to read/watch anything I do, I'd probably still swear at my computer screen in the privacy of my own home. So if you wanna go for it, Syphyre, just jump in with both feet.

And accept Rent's voice for what it is: the most critical voice on these boards re: LPs, yes, but he's doing it so that A) you don't get your hopes up and B) to improve the quality of the work. If you'll permit me a nerdy reference, he's like the Davos to our Stannis (in Game of Thrones). He's brutally honest, which we should value over people saying our shitty shit smells sweet.

Sometimes it is nice for people to compliment you on the smell of your shit, though.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I smell like shit

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Rent wrote:
    Syphyre wrote:

fair enough i havent read the thread in forever so my mistake

Which certainly answers the question of "what LPs do you watch" :P

I think what I may do is spit out a set or two, set them up, see how long it takes me to do all that crap, and then see if I enjoy it. Because I'm not kidding myself, I know a lot of people are following the QFG LP because of the memories of when they played it, rather than "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread" Hell, that's why I joined it. "OOO I love QFG, I'll chip in!" I doubt this game has that kind of following.

That being said, I'm still in the "I'm pondering it" phase. Even though you've dashed my hopes and dreams of becoming an overnight internet celebrity. Ok, Not really I appreciate the healthy dose of reality though, seriously. It IS a lot of damn work, for perhaps not much payback at all. Ya do it because ya want to. And I'll see :D

That being said, another reason I like SS LPs better is that the majority of Video LPs make me want to gouge out my eardrums. random profuse swearing isn't funny, or is cackling maniacally at the screen. Nor is "So yeah, here's the boss *inhale* Yeah so you have to avoid him like this. Yeah." entertaining.

Haha that really should be a litmus question too for people doing LPs. "Think of LPs you've watched/read. Now think how many of them sucked. You're probably one of them. Do you love the game you're playing enough to do it just because you enjoy it?"

Rambling off.

Edit: Thanks josh, I appreciate that really! I should PROBABLY finish up the QFG one first though before attempting something else. ;-)

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Question on a completely different subject

What are the ethics of linking to crap on YouTube for LPs that you didn't post yourself? i.e. Songs from the soundtrack, opening/closing videos, etc, things like that?

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:

What are the ethics of linking to crap on YouTube for LPs that you didn't post yourself? i.e. Songs from the soundtrack, opening/closing videos, etc, things like that?
    Linking to stuff on YouTube you don't own doesn't seem so much of an ethics issue so much as a "you have no control over how long that video/song/etc will stay up there" issue.

• Options
    That's....a good point.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Man.

I still hate not getting further with that SotN LP. I fully realize it wasn't any good, I just hate leaving it unfinished.

Although with my hours getting cut at work now maybe I have the time to actually try to do something with it. Ugh, if only I could get certain of my friends to do commentary with me...at the very least it would be a hell of a lot of fun to do, even if the end result was still lacking.

• Options
    Piotyr wrote:
    Syphyre wrote:

Linking to stuff on YouTube you don't own doesn't seem so much of an ethics issue so much as a "you have no control over how long that video/song/etc will stay up there" issue.

I took the chance anyhow in my SF2 LP, for the music stuffs.

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    because this forum doesnt really have "super stars" except for helloween, klyka, and josh (kinda), you should probably pick a game that a lot of people like/love if youre going after pageviews (see: aduss, FFVII)

Pretty sure this isn't what you're implying but that's not why I chose it. I chose it because it was one of the few games I knew well enough to LP. Though in the end that didn't matter much since I wasn't going for informative anyway. I guess it mattered enough to where I wasn't bumbling around in a game I didn't know how to play.

Anyway what Rent was saying is pretty much right. Uploading tons of screenshots is a lot of work and it's annoying as hell if they stop working for some reason. If you pick a good enough host you shouldn't have to worry too much about it.

Obviously self-hosting would be ideal, but costly. Imgur is popular and solid, though there are times when I worry that because it's so popular it'll just up and die someday due to overload, but maybe that's overly cynical. Imageshack is mostly stable but has issues with images randomly being deleted. Just don't use Photobucket, because unless only 2 people are watching your LP then it's going to exceed the bandwidth.