As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Record player/Turntable

SparvySparvy Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I inherited this from my grandpa last year.

I decided I'd try to get a small LP collection going, but unfortunately the turntable lacked a needle. I went to a store to buy a new one but apparently this particular model don't exist anymore. I was told I could bring the whole machine in and they might be able to change the entire pickup for a modern one and the guy in the store said he could have a look on the drive belt as well since they often dry up and break on old players like this. This would cost up to 130$.

The thing is I'm not sure this player will work with my stereo without some kind of amplifier in between. So now I'm starting to wonder if I'm not better served getting a completely new player and considering my stereo system is pretty useless as is I might even be best served getting a completely new system (iphone connectivity would be pretty sweet). But I really don't want spend more money than I have to.

What should I do? Try to get the old one working or buy new, and if so what?

Sparvy on

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does your amp have a "phono" input?

If not you will need a phono preamp, or a new amplifier that has a phono input.

Record players output a very small non flat signal. You need a special circuit to convert it back, hence the preamp or the special input.

See if the bit at the end of the arm, or the arm itself unscrews in some way and if it does, unscrew it and just take that in and see if they have a compatible replacement.

I'd be worried if anyone at a repair place started talking about replacing parts you weren't asking about before they had even looked at (whatever the item was). I've never heard of a belt breaking before but I guess its possible.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, odds are your turntable won't work without some sort of receiver or amplifier. Now, you do NOT need to get your tonearm or cartridge mount replaced. Just buy an adapter online. As far as getting a new stylus/cartridge, you can probably find a suitably cheap one online. Don't go below $40 though -- there's a price cutoff for acceptable quality -- you really do get what you pay for. You can get receivers for dirt cheap if you look hard enough. Flea markets and craigslist listings have served me well in the past. There's never any shortage of cheap stereo equipment, believe me.

Concerning iphone connectivity: If you get an amplifier/receiver that has both a phono AND an aux input, then you're golden. Just get a mini stereo to rca connector (like, $2 -- here's one) and maybe an extension cable (another $2) and you can plug whatever you want into it. It's just like plugging in your headphones, except now the sound is coming out of your awesome speakers.

Getting your system working would be much MUCH cheaper than buying new.

acadia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm ok, after taking a better look at the cartridge it looks like I can order a new needle from here.

Been looking some at amps as well, specifically this one.

Should work right?

EDIT: Or wait confused again, the seller of that amp says it requires a pre-amp if my turntable have moving coil. How do I know if I have a moving coil and what does that mean?

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That will only allow you to put your turntable through the speakers. Also, it's a pre-amp. You want an amp or receiver, something that will do the job of converting the signal, boosting it, AND sending the signal to your speakers. Something more like this: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/2263004572.html

If you want that extra input (computer? tv? ipod/iphone?), you'll want a real amp/receiver. Pre-amps are more for audiophiles who want another step between source and amp.

acadia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    But I have a stereo wit RCA input, but without built in amplifier.

I can't use that?

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yep, that'll do. If it's one of those 'all in one' stereos (like a boombox type thing), the preamp will work for you. Your stereo likely IS it's own amp. The sound quality won't be amazing, but it should work.

I was posting under the assumption that all you had were a turntable, a pair of speakers, and some records. Having a 'stereo' completes the equation with that preamp supplying the signal from the turntable.

acadia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I see, great.

I might have been a bit unclear but yeah I do have 'all in one stereo' (from 10 years ago which means cassette, CD, radio and the previously mentioned RCA input). I sort of decided while googling all this that stuff that getting a new receiver with the iphone connectivity and so on will probably have to be a future project. Should have said so in the thread as well.

But before I completely shut the door on the possibility, from what I can see this thing would require a pre-amp as well right?

Sparvy on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If actually using the turntable you were given is not absolutely necessary for you, I can tell you about my experiences with the turntable I bought over a year ago.

http://www.ionaudio.com/profilelp

This one has line-out (not phono-out, so no need for a pre-amp) and USB-out, which means it can digitize your LPs at CD-quality.

It's not a high-end turntable, but it sounds pretty good. I've recorded some albums which I also had on CD, and after declicking, the two sound about as good, although different (meaning that you get some interesting dynamics from vinyl that often disappear in CD mastering, but the noise floor on vinyl is much higher, so that soft passages sometimes get lost in the background noise, while CDs (especially remasters) rarely have that much noise.)

Ion has other models which you might prefer -- including some that will let you hook up an iPod, or an SD card, and record straight to that.

If you already have a good-sounding audio setup, a turntable with line-out will save you a lot of headaches. For instance, the 2.1 Logitech computer speaker setup I use at my desk sounds great with music, even with the sub turned down to its lowest volume. The only problem I have with it is that it sounds so good that it causes me to not hear the low-volume noise in the vinyl I digitize. That means I'll rip something, de-click it, find that it sounds great on my speakers, but later I'll start hearing low-volume clicks and hiss when listening to the same sound files on my MP3 player, using cheaper nub-type headphones.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sparvy wrote: »
    I see, great.

I might have been a bit unclear but yeah I do have 'all in one stereo' (from 10 years ago which means cassette, CD, radio and the previously mentioned RCA input). I sort of decided while googling all this that stuff that getting a new receiver with the iphone connectivity and so on will probably have to be a future project. Should have said so in the thread as well.

But before I completely shut the door on the possibility, from what I can see this thing would require a pre-amp as well right?

Yes. There is no 'Phono input' that could interpret the signal coming from the turntable. The preamp would take care of that.

acadia on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A few comments and a bit of info.

1. Don't go out and get a new turntable with build in phono amp. A proper turntable with a seperate phono amp (sometimes called a phono stage) or an amp/pre-amp with a phono input is the way to go for better sound quality and flexibility.

2. Pick-ups, the bit that "reads" the records come in two general types. Moving coill(MC) and moving magnet(MM) and they require different amount of amplification. MM is the more common used, and MM pick ups are normally cheaper. Many phono amps have two settings so they can handle both types.

3. Belts on turntables lose tension and break over time. There are online shops specializing in turntable belts and it's not expensive to get a replacement.

4. Great bargains on old but great turn tables are to be found. Many people don't know what they are selling and the risk is actually great turntables gets binned.

5. Old records can be bought be the pound for change. If you're into music from early nineties and before that look for that.

6. Pick-ups get worn and worn pick-ups wear out records quickly. Don't ruin a great record collection by using a worn out pick-up.

Using a turntable as a music source is great but requires more work than digital solutions.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.