As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help a photoshop newb with resolution and size

TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so I'm in an introductory Digital Art class and we're working on our first project using Photoshop. We have to print our montage, so the image is required to be 11" by 17" and have 300 dpi resolution. So I make a new file, setting it to those specifications.

I'm using images from the web, but when I copy and paste them, I can only bring them in as tiny images, and I can't enlarge them to the appropriate scale without them becoming incredibly pixellated. Basically what I'm asking is, how can I make this image:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AyIV9Flw6Jg/TVxE9kvqGuI/AAAAAAAABgY/-OPsfXaMPI4/s1600/DSC_0443.JPG

into the background and put this guy:

http://peopleimeetonprincestreet.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/img_33581.jpg

into the foreground while still maintaining the required dimensions and resolution? Am I missing something or can it not be done? I had already finished my project but accidentally did the whole thing at 72 dpi and was told to do it over at 300 dpi, but now I'm completely lost on how to get started. I'm using CS4 if that makes a difference.

Tobaggan on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When you scale an image up, its going to get pixellated. The only way around that is to find a higher resolution image, or stitch together several smaller images. On tv/movies, when they press a few buttons and the fuzzy image gets all clear, that's fake.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As an aside, unless you specifically look for fairly massive images, you're not going to find much on the web that will work very well at 300dpi. Google Image Search lets you search by image size, so crank that sucker up if you want print quality resolutions.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can you find pictures in a magazine or something and scan them yourself?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, the image you want to use is 10x smaller than the image you want to make. That means for every pixel that is in the image, the software is having to do it's best guess on 9 other ones, which leads to a pixelated mess. You can scale down very easily, scaling up is hard.

For things like logos and whatnot (simpler images, not so much real life photographs) you can look for vector images. Vectors aren't a pixel map, they're a series of relative measurements. If you can find one of those you can scale it up to what you need and then convert it to raster (pixel map) to work with in PS.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When you scale an image up, its going to get pixellated. The only way around that is to find a higher resolution image, or stitch together several smaller images. On tv/movies, when they press a few buttons and the fuzzy image gets all clear, that's fake.

Yeah, I know you can't really say "enhance" and it all comes out clear or whatever. With the ridiculous amount of tools that Photoshop has, I thought there might some way to at least lessen the effect or something.

Thanks for the input, all. I was not prepared to have to search out ginormous pictures though. And no access to a scanner will make that all the more fun. I don't even own Photoshop, I'm just using what's on the school computers.

On an unrelated educational matter, why is it that when I try to switch my old image from 72 dpi to 300 dpi, it changes the dimensions on the image? There is something fundamental here that I'm not understanding.

Tobaggan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tobaggan wrote: »

Yeah, I know you can't really say "enhance" and it all comes out clear or whatever. With the ridiculous amount of tools that Photoshop has, I thought there might some way to at least lessen the effect or something.

Thanks for the input, all. I was not prepared to have to search out ginormous pictures though. And no access to a scanner will make that all the more fun. I don't even own Photoshop, I'm just using what's on the school computers.

On an unrelated educational matter, why is it that when I try to switch my old image from 72 dpi to 300 dpi, it changes the dimensions on the image? There is something fundamental here that I'm not understanding.

A digital art class without scanners? You should take the class somewhere else.

When you change the image from 72 to 300 dpi, the dimensions change because you changing the density of the pixels.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Image I have a chess board with 5 squares per inch. Now imagine I change things so that I can fit 50 squares per inch. I'm going to have to scale my chessboard down, right? The original squares are way too big! So when you increased the DPI, your original image got scaled way down in comparison to the overall image.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you started your project at 72dpi and it needed to be done at 300dpi, you should start it over at the correct resolution. Upscaling so much will give you a bad output.

MagicToaster on