Options

Sticks carrying dogs thread (also cat [chat])

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Goddamn I'm really hating the news coverage of the Fukushima plant. First my gf's mom (who's borderline hypochondriac and doesn't speak English) has been pestering her to leave, now my mom's doing the same.

Fuck the media right now. Fuck them up their sensationalizing asses.

um

the coverage I Japan seems to be different than in the west

it's pretty clearly a big deal

It's a big deal, but not the biggest deal. If the earthquake and tsumani weren't enough to make you leave (and shit, I would seriously consider leaving if you could), the nuclear thing is a relatively small potato.

It's not going to be Chernobyl.

TL DR on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, Choco.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it's also, in my experience, wicked painful

Well, yeah. Your body isn't going to give you a plan b without making it abundantly clear that this is the plan it uses when things go terribly wrong.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    also being a warrior is okay but I totes should have listened to nerd and chosen a mage
    warrior is awesome

reaver and vanguard trees are fucking ridiculous

I amm working up the two handed and reaver trees

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am in a poor mood

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    so reporting that a nuclear plant that could melt down is sensationalism?

I swear to god you people have the biggest hardons for nuclear energy

eliding containment issues with an actual meltdown is sensationalism, yes

the last report I heard from the sensationist news organization npr said that they were having trouble getting sea water over the rods, which if exposed could cause a meltdown

that sounds like

'could cause a meltdown'

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

it's complete fear-mongering

but yes you had better believe I have a hardon for an energy source that doesn't cause acid rain, dump millions of tons of carbon into the air or require us to be cozy with religious dictators

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    I am in a poor mood

hi-five, me too

let's form a folk band and call ourselves the sisters of sorrow and play to 30-50 hipsters obsessed with our absolute lack of melody at a time

@will: don't really know.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    also being a warrior is okay but I totes should have listened to nerd and chosen a mage
    warrior is awesome

reaver and vanguard trees are fucking ridiculous

I amm working up the two handed and reaver trees
    good

you want sacrificial frenzy and fervor

then might and cleave from vanguard

any crit boosts you can get will go a long way too

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Goddamn I'm really hating the news coverage of the Fukushima plant. First my gf's mom (who's borderline hypochondriac and doesn't speak English) has been pestering her to leave, now my mom's doing the same.

um

It's a big deal, but not the biggest deal. If the earthquake and tsumani weren't enough to make you leave (and shit, I would seriously consider leaving if you could), the nuclear thing is a relatively small potato.

yeah I dunno dude

no explosion but there could be tons of contamination and it sounds like they're grasping at straws for how to cool it down

I agree it's not as bad as the natural disaster but it's still ongoing and I think that's part of why we're all following so closely

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I am in a poor mood

:(

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

eliding containment issues with an actual meltdown is sensationalism, yes

the last report I heard from the sensationist news organization npr said that they were having trouble getting sea water over the rods, which if exposed could cause a meltdown

that sounds like

'could cause a meltdown'

Yeah but 'meltdown' is like 'auto accident'.

Could be inconvenient and a hassle; could be a gigantic catastrophe

TL DR on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    no more nuclear plants

what if that plant in omaha gets hit by a giant earthquake and tsunami

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

I don't understand this

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    but yes you had better believe I have a hardon for an energy source that doesn't cause acid rain, dump millions of tons of carbon into the air or require us to be cozy with religious dictators

Don't forget about dumping millions of cubic feet of waste product on whatever happens to be downriver of Appalachia every time the substandard containment structures fail.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It is ludicrous

ludicrous

You know what?

Fine. There's radiation out there

It's everywhere

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't know man, potentially leaking radioactive material in the face of a disaster is probably something that should be reported on

admittedly this was a huge disaster but yelling SENSATIONALISM at a genuine downside of nuclear power isn't productive

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am in a poor mood

Anything we can do to help?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't understand this
    A nation on the brink, Japan is coping with three disasters at the same time: a major earthquake, a sweeping tsunami and a deepening nuclear crisis. Any one of these would bring a country to its knees.

TO ITS KNEES

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

um

yeah I dunno dude

no explosion but there could be tons of contamination and it sounds like they're grasping at straws for how to cool it down

I agree it's not as bad as the natural disaster but it's still ongoing and I think that's part of why we're all following so closely

MIT's Nuclear Science and Engineering Department has really informative coverage. (Link goes to the original overview post).

TL DR on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I don't know man, potentially leaking radioactive material in the face of a disaster is probably something that should be reported on

admittedly this was a huge disaster but yelling SENSATIONALISM at a genuine downside of nuclear power isn't productive

It's sensationalism when you look at the potential danger verses the actual harm of the Chiba refinery that's on fire and the level of reporting on that. The smoke and environmental harm is going to be much worse from that and the other refinery fires then the nuclear power plants.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It is sensationalism

Because no matter what happens it will not be as bad as the output of a coal plant in a year as far as radiation released, let alone any other form of potential toxicity.

There could very well be more radioactive material in your house.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't understand this
    A nation on the brink, Japan is coping with three disasters at the same time: a major earthquake, a sweeping tsunami and a deepening nuclear crisis. Any one of these would bring a country to its knees.

TO ITS KNEES

so to be clear you are upset that they're putting it on par with the other two?

I mean, the us is saying people shouldn't be closer than 50 miles, they had worryingly high spikes, they have no way to keep the rods cool right now, there have been compromises to containment

it won't destroy the country but it's a pretty big deal

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

The focus is on the nuclear event, which is the 3rd or 4th most significant connected with these recent events. The risk is generally being covered in a hyperbolic way by people who should take the time to check their facts.

This isn't different from any other news coverage though. It's the sexier issue.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    News is the devil

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011

it is about as genuine as listing "a plane could fall on me" as a downside of stepping outside your house

if there were a runaway fire at a chemical plant in another country, do you think the American media would be there breathlessly reporting, asking themselves about the carcinogenic doom cloud sure to rise up from the wreckage?

people hear the word "radiation" and it registers in their brain like "evil magic"

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the catgirl in this sci-fi comic has a butt cape :(

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I tried on the boots my sister got me. I put them on for 10 seconds and I've been out of them for about 3 minutes now.

My feet still hurt.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    News is the devil

:^:

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    what is a butt cape, Cass?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

it is about as genuine as listing "a plane could fall on me" as a downside of stepping outside your house

if there were a runaway fire at a chemical plant in another country, do you think the American media would be there breathlessly reporting, asking themselves about the carcinogenic doom cloud sure to rise up from the wreckage?

people hear the word "radiation" and it registers in their brain like "evil magic"

jacob i could kiss you

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    I tried on the boots my sister got me. I put them on for 10 seconds and I've been out of them for about 3 minutes now.

My feet still hurt.

:(

<3

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

My feet still hurt.

That is how yo know they are stylish, Mim. For 10 seconds you were hotter than Fukushima.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    well, you seem to have much more of an opinion on this than me

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It is sensationalism

Because no matter what happens it will not be as bad as the output of a coal plant in a year as far as radiation released, let alone any other form of potential toxicity.

There could very well be more radioactive material in your house.
    The NRC’s Jaczko said radiation at the Japanese site is fluctuating and at peak levels “would be lethal within a fairly short period of time.”

truly

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

My feet still hurt.

That is how yo know they are stylish, Mim. For 10 seconds you were hotter than Fukushima.

That is a terrible joke. You should feel bad about yourself for having made it.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sometimes

i come out of my bedroom, bleary-eyed and tired

i turn the corner and
    NickelDime-01.jpg

Pony on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

My feet still hurt.

I'll stick to less than or just about average, thanks.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    what is a butt cape, Cass?

it is a cape

on her butt

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    sometimes

i come out of my bedroom, bleary-eyed and tired

i turn the corner and
    NickelDime-01.jpg

aww

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.