As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SCHOOL THREAD - Avoiding group projects at all costs

1545556575860»

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    Zonugal lives the life the rest of us wish we lived

no I enjoy having self respect

A heavy sacrifice, but I regret nothing.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    math_image.aspx?p=SMB02ASMB03integral,-1,-1,eSMB02ESMB03-2xSMB02eSMB03,xSMB02aSMB03?p=82?p=44

who can solve this for me

Franko on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wolfram alpha can

e: presumably you need to show how you integrated it, there's a "show steps" button on this page

unintentional on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i don't know how to add the line points though in wolfram

Franko on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    nvm i understand now

Franko on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what the fuck you're saying there is a significant effect when p = .112?

who the shit ran these tests because i'm gonna slap the shit out of them

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Darth AardvarkDarth Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Franko wrote: »
    math_image.aspx?p=SMB02ASMB03integral,-1,-1,eSMB02ESMB03-2xSMB02eSMB03,xSMB02aSMB03?p=82?p=44

who can solve this for me

integrating from a to a is always just zero for elementary functions

Darth Aardvark on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh and I typed that wrong, it was -1,1

Franko on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    when you differentiate e^ax, you get a*e^ax, so when you integrate it you have to undo that so you get (1/a)e^ax

(it's -.5e^-2x read a fuckin book)

L|ama on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    aaaaaah

why do I almost understand that

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    do you mean why do you understand so much, or why do you not understand more

integration and differentiation are inverse operations, one has to undo the other

L|ama on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CptKemzik wrote: »

yeah. unfortunately that's a large reason why i want to get a master's in the first place: my feeling of squandering my undergrad time and not doing research and not focusing on things and learning them. recommendation letters will also be tricky as well.

i wanna use da maths in my jerbs!

Oh yeah I totally forgot about letters of recommendation and your personal statement. Developing a rapport with professors gives you a HUGE resource both for looking at graduate programs, and getting recommendations from them when you apply. Honestly, if you can't get a couple of professors to talk about you beyond just saying "this guy took one of my classes and did well," it's going to be really difficult to get into a grad program.

If you are at all in touch with professors from undergrad, contact them and get the ball rolling with just talking about grad school; jumping the gun right to recommendations is going to be a tricky proposition. You'll be able to learn what to look for in programs, the realities of being a grad student, and eventually get a letter written for you once they actually have a feeling that you're doing this for the real deal and not just cause you want to get out of the workforce for a couple of years.

In case you can't tell i've been doing this exact thing the past couple of years! I'm graduating this may, but im taking a gap year to really visit schools and decide on where to apply with substantial evidence beyond just researching their websites/talking to my profs.

yeah, thanks for the advice. i wish i had kind of had foresight during undergrad years to do that, but i wasn't thinking about grad school (or even anything beyond graduation) until school was almost over. i even started research once but was too lazy to follow through with it and finish it. terrible.

i'm trying to think of who could possibly write me recommendation letters. i was very foolish.

no foresight!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    when you differentiate e^ax, you get a*e^ax, so when you integrate it you have to undo that so you get (1/a)e^ax

that's not the answer at all you sack

Franko on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    hmm this is weird i almost forget how to integrate
    i've only been out of school since may
    and i was an applied math major! i did integration like all the time!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    man leave that weirdo math at home

If it ain't engineering I don't wanna hear about it

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I integrated myself with your mother last night, and let me assure you I did not forget how to do it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    5138b72185154cb14d34447146f018e3.png

heat equation with a fourier transform yayyy

that fucking dick professor, because of a single negative sign i misplaced on the midterm he took off like half the fucking points for the whole damn test

i remember that
    i was unhappy

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Ask A Korean guy talks a little bit about deciding to go to Law school or not
    AskAKorean wrote:
    Thinking About Going to Law School? Read this First.

It's that season of the year -- when many college graduates resign themselves to going to law school, and finalize their choices about which school to attend. And true to form, this is the time of the year when the Korean's actual email account starts swelling up with emails from all kinds of people -- younger alumni, distant relatives, friend of a friend of a friend -- who ask for law school advice. Over the years, the Korean distilled his advice down to three concise answers, and he will share them here for everyone who is potentially thinking about law school.

(What does this have to do with Korea? Nothing. It's the Korean's blog, and he will write about whatever the hell he damn well pleases. Quit whining.)

1. The only reason to go to law school is to become an attorney.

Sounds really obvious, right? But here are the reasons not to go to law school: to become a politician; to become a businessperson; to become an activist; to become an environmentalist; to become a public policy person. And the absolute worst reason to go to law school: because you ran out of ideas.

The greatest lie sold by law schools to college graduates is this: law degree is a versatile degree. That is totally false. The only skill you learn after three years and over $200,000 worth of law school is being a lawyer. And regardless of what your dream was before you got into law school, the only way to pay off the $200,000 in student loan is ... being a lawyer! (Easier at a large law firm.)

To be sure, a desire to become an environmental lawyer (for example) is a good reason to go to law school. But even in that case, the Korean recommends spending a year or two being an environmentalist first, so that you can have a better sense of what to earn out of the law school experience. Again, law school does not teach you to be a politician, businessperson or activist. Spending those three years and $200,000 in politics, business or activism will make you a much better politician, businessperson or activist than spending them in a law school. Even at this stage when you are choosing law schools, it is not too late. Don't commit three precious years of your life earning a license you will not use.

2. Go to a law school near a city you want to live for at least five years after graduation.

This is absolutely crucial advice that the Korean wishes someone had told him. The Korean decided on an East Coast law school, thinking that law school might be the last chance to live in some other part of the country, and he will be able to return his beloved, sunny California as soon as he graduated. BIG mistake. It has been four years since the Korean graduated from law school, and the move back to California does not appear to be in the cards for the foreseeable future. Instead, the Korean mutters curses of the damned East Coast weather 8 months out of the year.

Remember this point: easily 90 percent of law school graduates end up working at the large city near the law school. Important thing to note is this result is almost totally independent from the law school's rankings. Law is a local business. Except for the absolute top tier schools (no more than top 15, and more likely top 5,) law firms rarely hire outside of the region.

This point is worth reiterating: do NOT be fooled by the law school's rankings. Unless you are attending one of Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, NYU and Chicago, and maybe Michigan, Berkeley, U Penn, Virginia and Duke (and maaaaaaaybe Texas, Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown and UCLA,) law school rankings do not matter. The Korean's former law firm in New York is a top-of-the-line place, and every year it hires a few people from lower ranked New York-area law schools like Seton Hall (ranked 61 in the most recent U.S. News & World Report), Brooklyn Law School (67) and Rutgers (84). In the three years that the Korean has been with the firm, he has never seen anyone getting hired from out-of-region (but undoubtedly excellent) law schools like Vanderbilt (16), USC (18) and Indiana (23).

Even if you end up at one of the top ranked law schools, don't think you can move to a place you want that easily. Life intervenes in the three years of law school. You develop friendships, and often dating relationships. Sometimes the dating relationship is such that if you moved away, you might end up losing someone dear. So you bite your tongue and deal with the shitty weather, desperately telling yourself that the loveless life in the sun is not nearly as good as a beloved life in the slushy, nasty snow... oh hi honey. Welcome home. What was I writing? Nothing. Just writing about how happy I am to be with you. Nothing about how I should have transferred to UCLA after my first year to hang out with aspiring Hollywood actresses in Beverly Hills. Nope, not at all.

3. Once in law school, study hard.

Another advice that someone should have told the Korean. Hopefully this advice is more obvious now that the economy has gone to hell, but it is still worth telling. Obviously, your law school grades play a huge part in getting your first job after graduation. But even after that, your law school grades will follow you for a very long time. Don't relax in your second or third year just because you have a job already. You never know when you want to change jobs -- and a new employer will ask for your law school transcript for a good decade. You are in law school to study, and law schools usually have a lot of fun courses to offer. Don't slack off in your last year, and definitely don't start a blog that you can't quit in a few years even though you work 80 hours a week, just because you couldn't figure out what to do with your spare time in your third year of law school!

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Franko wrote: »

that's not the answer at all you sack

that was an indefinite integration

now take -.5e^-2x from -1 to 1

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    maybe i should have left out how i was drinking beer and sitting way up in the fucking nosebleeds for that paper i wrote at the very end, but i despise that class with a passion.

SOCIOLOGY IS MORE BULLSHIT THAN PSYCHOLOGY

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So in order to graduate on the distinguished plan you have to have 4 advanced measures. AP courses count as that, so I'd have enough easily, but another option is an original research project.

I'm thinking about doing that over the summer since it would be interesting to do and would look good on college applications.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    maybe i should have left out how i was drinking beer and sitting way up in the fucking nosebleeds for that paper i wrote at the very end, but i despise that class with a passion.

SOCIOLOGY IS MORE BULLSHIT THAN PSYCHOLOGY

I don't get what you're saying at first but I know what class you're talking about. I was considering taking that before I decided on a history minor. How is it?

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    edited April 2011

1) that's literally high school level maths
    2) if you don't think that integrating e^-ax could maybe have applications in engineering possibly then uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

derp

L|ama on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sociology turns into crap science when it gets tangled up in the teacher's personal views. Same as any science, but I see it happen a more in Sociology more than anywhere else. History's (not a science) a close second.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    Sociology turns into crap science when it gets tangled up in the teacher's personal views. Same as any science, but I see it happen a more in Sociology more than anywhere else. History's (not a science) a close second.

yerp

republican civics teacher who believed that obama hated america and fox news was fair and balanced my sophomore year, fun fun

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it's not fun with any damned ideology

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited April 2011

1) that's literally high school level maths
    2) if you don't think that integrating e^-ax could maybe have applications in engineering possibly then uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

derp

what the fuck is all this limit shit

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Math is worthless no one do math anymore

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    burn the math textbooks for clean energy

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    two plus three is whatever the hell I say it is fuck you

unintentional on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm 2 years ahead of you Vann.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Isoldae wrote: »
    I'm 2 years ahead of you Vann.

That's what you think! I stopped taking math classes after first semester senior year!

Then I went to art school! Two years and counting now

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my last math class was my junior year of high school

i didn't really have strong feelings on it one way or the other, but i placed out of all math in college and i certainly wasn't taking math electives

satansfingers on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm just waiting for the TI100 to come out so it can just do all of my maths for me.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my last math class was my junior year of high school

i didn't really have strong feelings on it one way or the other, but i placed out of all math in college and i certainly wasn't taking math electives

This is me

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wasted so many hours playing that Phoenix game on my calculator in high school. I had that shit down cold.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would someone like to come over and punch me in the face?

It would be less painful than this paper I'm writing...

Sassori on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Only if you punch me back when I write mine.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck yes A- on a paper I was so worried about

Feeling good about this semester!

GreasyKidsStuff on
This discussion has been closed.