As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer build help / component questions!

spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° )Puyallup WA Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
I put the "!" in the title to make it seem exciting.

I keep seeing motherboards with onboard video and sound, and some of them look to be pretty good, so that you might not need a graphics card at all. So, first off, I wanted to make sure that I understood that if I got a mobo with onboard graphics and sound, that I wouldn't need those cards, and second, can I get some advice on companies that make mobos with decent onboard stuff?

The reason I ask is, I'm finally in a position to put a PC in the living room. I have a nice 61" HDLA TV with a monitor (DVI?) input, and I want to make use of it. I'm mainly going to be making this rig to play video and music files, and do some light gaming. When I say light, I mean it. I'm not going to be playing WoW on it, or Doom 3, or anything close to that. I'm not going to be needing a very powerful graphics card at all.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
spookymuffin on

• Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I keep seeing motherboards with onboard video and sound, and some of them look to be pretty good, so that you might not need a graphics card at all. So, first off, I wanted to make sure that I understood that if I got a mobo with onboard graphics and sound, that I wouldn't need those cards, and second, can I get some advice on companies that make mobos with decent onboard stuff?

The reason I ask is, I'm finally in a position to put a PC in the living room. I have a nice 61" HDLA TV with a monitor (DVI?) input, and I want to make use of it. I'm mainly going to be making this rig to play video and music files, and do some light gaming. When I say light, I mean it. I'm not going to be playing WoW on it, or Doom 3, or anything close to that. I'm not going to be needing a very powerful graphics card at all.

Onboard graphics pretty much suck, you won't be able to use Aero on Vista for example. Since you won't be needing it much, I would advice to get something like the 7300GT from nVidia for example. But it really all depends on your budget. So if you could give us the goals the pc will be used for and the budget. You can get a clearer advice.

Link with a guide to components for a htpc.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=710828

EDIT: Fixed link ?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    gneGne wrote:

Onboard graphics pretty much suck, you won't be able to use Aero on Vista for example. Since you won't be needing it much, I would advice to get something like the 7300GT from nVidia for example. But it really all depends on your budget. So if you could give us the goals the pc will be used for and the budget. You can get a clearer advice.

Link with a guide to components for a htpc.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Intel's 950GMA does Aero Glass and lite gaming (I think it runs WoW ok at low settings too).

Depending on what form factor you want to go for, shuttle does a very nice minipc, although you might be paying a bit of a premium the minute size and low noise would more than make up for it.

Rook on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goals: Play movies and music, and mostly old games.

Budget: No budget, but I want to do it as cheaply as possible. I'm not going to put Vista on it, XP is fine.

Form Factor: I'm putting it all into this case, as long as it fits, I'm ok.

I'm browsing the AVS forums now, I keep forgetting how knowledgable and helpful those guys can be. Thanks for reminding me. =]

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goals: Play movies and music, and mostly old games.

Budget: No budget, but I want to do it as cheaply as possible. I'm not going to put Vista on it, XP is fine.

Form Factor: I'm putting it all into this case, as long as it fits, I'm ok.

I'm browsing the AVS forums now, I keep forgetting how knowledgable and helpful those guys can be. Thanks for reminding me. =]

That's an ATX case, so any standard motherboard should fit.

A motherboard with onboard video will run your desktop, basically. It will play movies. I'm not sure how "old" you're talking about here, but I know firsthand that an Intel GMA will struggle to run anything newer than Starcraft. Onboard nVidia 6100 will be a bit better if you go the AMD route. (it will run old Unreal 1 engine games just fine) But if you don't care about games, there's no point in spending the money on a discrete graphics card.

Whatever you do, make sure that the board you get has a PCI Express x16 slot so you can upgrade to a good graphics card if you want later.

Oh, and by the way. Most (99%) of the motherboards with onboard graphics will be the micro-ATX form factor. It will fit in an ATX case just fine, but it will also fit in a smaller micro-ATX case if you want to save room or whatever.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The title description for that computer case linked says "Clear acrylic case with side window"... :D:D

Centipeed on