Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Eyeballing stock of games at a few stores it seems that SSF4 and Pilotwings are the clear sales leaders. I really want to grab Ghost Recon but I'd rather use the TRU deal and can't come up with a 2nd title I think I would get good play time out of. If I could get Pokemon White with a 3ds game I would be on it in a heart beat.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    vamen wrote: »
    I picked up SF4 and Ghost Recon (which I had no idea had multi!) at TRU. If anyone wants to multi =)

(hope this didn't post like 20 times. Server is crazy today)

Ghost Recon is only local multiplayer, unfortunately.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I picked up SF4 and Ghost Recon (which I had no idea had multi!) at TRU. If anyone wants to multi =)

Ah bummer.

vamen on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the friend code list needs a field for the user's 3DS profile name. I don't remember who some of the people on my list are because they're just using their real names.

And, I don't know how hard this would be to make, but

I think it would be great if you stored information about who you've sent friend requests to, and allow users to edit a list of friends that they have so you can show who's added who, and let users know when someone has removed them, and so on. This way you could also just click on your profile on the roster site to see the friend codes of everyone who's added you, instead of going to the individual e-mails.

By the way, on the 3DS, what happens when someone removes you from their friend list? Is there anything that indicates that on your screen, or is it like on the DS where whenever my list gets full, I have to figure out who to remove without knowing who has already removed me... the roster site could make this a lot easier if it keeps track of everyone's full lists.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Eyeballing stock of games at a few stores it seems that SSF4 and Pilotwings are the clear sales leaders. I really want to grab Ghost Recon but I'd rather use the TRU deal and can't come up with a 2nd title I think I would get good play time out of. If I could get Pokemon White with a 3ds game I would be on it in a heart beat.

Ridge Racer isn't supposed to be too bad in terms of content. Its biggest failing is being mostly a remix of the series' past tracks, but if you're like me and haven't played a lot of Ridge Racer then that won't bother you. It's said to have some of the coolest 3D effects of the whole launch.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    welp. lost my AR Cards. that's hmm... 3 days?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The manual said you are not notified if someone removes you from their friends list. I literally JUST saw this as I was glancing through it.

vamen on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Ridge Racer isn't supposed to be too bad in terms of content. Its biggest failing is being mostly a remix of the series' past tracks, but if you're like me and haven't played a lot of Ridge Racer then that won't bother you. It's said to have some of the coolest 3D effects of the whole launch.

Well unfortunately I've played a ton of the Ridge Racer series particularly Rage Racer which I played countless hours of back on ps1. Also I still can't figure out if I am just not easily excited by 3d or if I can only sort of see it since my reaction to the effect is much less than most people who I have shown the effect(lazy eye/astigmatism can't help here). So I worry RR is something I would play a couple times and never touch.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    I desperately hope some kind of messaging comes in the May update, as I saw a few people playing SSFIV but had no way to nudge them into playing a game. :(

I absolutely agree. I understand Nintendo is trepidatious about their online features, and I'm willing to put up with their friend code nonsense, but when I realized you couldn't even message your friends, I was flabbergasted. To leave such basic functionality out... such a Nintendo move.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the friend code list needs a field for the user's 3DS profile name. I don't remember who some of the people on my list are because they're just using their real names.

And, I don't know how hard this would be to make, but

I think it would be great if you stored information about who you've sent friend requests to, and allow users to edit a list of friends that they have so you can show who's added who, and let users know when someone has removed them, and so on. This way you could also just click on your profile on the roster site to see the friend codes of everyone who's added you, instead of going to the individual e-mails.

By the way, on the 3DS, what happens when someone removes you from their friend list? Is there anything that indicates that on your screen, or is it like on the DS where whenever my list gets full, I have to figure out who to remove without knowing who has already removed me... the roster site could make this a lot easier if it keeps track of everyone's full lists.

I'm planning on adding in a profile name too. I'm gonna make profile pages and have people's Forum name, friend code, 3DS profile name, QR Code, and game list listed on them.

I considered making a friends list, but the way I have it set up right now I don't actually have it tracking who you've sent requests to, so you'd have to add everyone all over again. But if the system tells you when you delete someone then maybe it's unnecessary?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    I desperately hope some kind of messaging comes in the May update, as I saw a few people playing SSFIV but had no way to nudge them into playing a game. :(

I absolutely agree. I understand Nintendo is trepidatious about their online features, and I'm willing to put up with their friend code nonsense, but when I realized you couldn't even message your friends, I was flabbergasted. To leave such basic functionality out... such a Nintendo move.

Nintendo doesn't get internet-functionality.

Film at 11.

(seriously, I love nintendo, but I just outright assume that everything they make is only designed to be used with real life friends and that it's a heaven-sent miracle if you're able to play with someone in another house)

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So the DS works somewhat like Xbox Live now, in that you can pop out of programs to see your friends list and such.

In my pocket. I <3 this thing.

edit: Wait what? You can't message them? Buh?

edit 2: Maybe it's a Japanese telco thing about text messaging or something.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nickle wrote: »
    The camera needs a decent amount of light, in my apartment it looks grainy and dark like a few people have mentioned.

But outside in the daylight, or if I open up the blinds and let natural light in, it looks way better. The same applies to the AR games. It's not the best camera ever, but it does look extra horrible in low light. I was disappointed at first, but after taking a few photos outside the pictures are actually quite nice.

This is what I get for having energy efficient light bulbs.

There is a low-light mode in the camera settings (the little red lever)

I was so happy when I found this out

Green on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I've been playing too much 3DS.

The text on the forum looks like it's popping out of my monitor, especially on the topic list.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Green wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »
    The camera needs a decent amount of light, in my apartment it looks grainy and dark like a few people have mentioned.

But outside in the daylight, or if I open up the blinds and let natural light in, it looks way better. The same applies to the AR games. It's not the best camera ever, but it does look extra horrible in low light. I was disappointed at first, but after taking a few photos outside the pictures are actually quite nice.

This is what I get for having energy efficient light bulbs.

There is a low-light mode in the camera settings (the little red lever)

I was so happy when I found this out

Also, if you turn the brightness up in the manual controls, it actually changes the exposure time, it's not some shitty digital brightness control. But you have to hold it suuuuuuper still.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

The text on the forum looks like it's popping out of my monitor, especially on the topic list.

So I'm not going crazy, it's happening to other people too!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This

It's like my eyes saw the 3D screen and thought "oh, so I guess all screens are like this now"

Green on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If this is something that's seriously happening to people maybe there's a reason they don't want kids under six using the thing.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know about seeing things in 3D, but I can say that after even a few minutes of playing Ridge Racer in 3D, it is difficult to read text on these here forums. Kind of blurry for a few minutes.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All the sig images and avatars are popping out of the screen. It's crazy!

I guess this is what the characters in That 70's Show feel like.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jave wrote: »
    All the sig images and avatars are popping out of the screen. It's crazy!

I guess this is what the characters in That 70's Show feel like.

Oh dude, like, look at your hand in front of the screen

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    People who play Guile online in Lite mode are miserable excuses for human beings. They are held in contempt even by the rest of us Lite mode scrubs. They are worse than people who only use Ryu or Ken. They are the lowest of the low, and should burn in the hottest depths of hell.

And don't even get me started on people who use Autoblock.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    agoaj wrote: »

Me too! But not just the forums pretty much anything else. For a second real world 3D feels like simulated 3D.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And that's how everyone was tricked into the Matrix.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    agoaj wrote: »

Jesus, I thought it was just me. Yeah, it's kinda bizarre. Hope it's not permanent, lol. Maybe I should be taking those 10-minute breaks Capcom told me to... :?

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I also had this yesterday when I still had my system.

Jintor on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This comes out in Aus tomorrow, so I hatched the ingenious plot of walking into an EBGames and asking for one today, so I could have it a whole half-day early.

No dice.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

This

It's like my eyes saw the 3D screen and thought "oh, so I guess all screens are like this now"

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was going crazy earlier.
    The weird thing is I was having the issue like 9 hours after the last time I played my 3DS.
    Even after all day I'm still seeing stuff pop out. Maybe the 3DS unlocked my latent (rather worthless) mutant power.

vamen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Not only that, it's "hotseat" multi, which is another word for "you pass the system back and forth". It's kind of cheap-ass, really. But hey, I guess it's better than nothing, so kudos to the dev for bothering with it.

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haha, wow, reading all this...

Thanks for being guinea pigs guys! For the greater good.
    The greater good.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This

The weird thing is I was having the issue like 9 hours after the last time I played my 3DS.
    Even after all day I'm still seeing stuff pop out. Maybe the 3DS unlocked my latent (rather worthless) mutant power.

The 3DS forces your eyes to focus on a object that is near but converge as though you are looking at an object that is far, completely contradictory to what your eyes are used to doing naturally. This is what causes eye-strain and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that is why you guys are seeing weird shit after playing 3DS.

I hope it doesn't turn out this shit causes any kind of damage to people's vision. But I guess that's what they used to say about TV, isn't it?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

This

I noticed it too. I think this is the clearest indication that this tech is really not good for your eyes, as in my experience I have no belief that this is a misinterpretation - this thing is fucking with my eyes.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I had an eye thing for a minute, but it hardly seems any different from the "Rock Band effect", where things appear to scroll upward for several minutes after playing Rock Band for a while.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just beat a Guile. All hail PikaPuff

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe instead of keeping this away from kids under 6, they should only give it to kids under 6; I don't want you guys driving around with your eyes like that!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haha, wow, reading all this...

Thanks for being guinea pigs guys! For the greater good.
    The greater good.
    greater_good_hot_fuzz.jpg

Jintor on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright friends, I added my code to SirUltimos' list. (Thanks, dude!) Adds me if you have Street Fighter, because while I look forward to getting my ass handed to me online I'd prefer to lose to people on this board over complete randoms. Seriously, I suck at this game.

Actually, does anyone have a link to some kind of "How To Play SF4" primer online? I've played a few fighting games so I'm not a complete fighting game noob, but I'm not really familiar with games in the Capcom style. While I have some idea of the Rock/Paper/Scissors metagame and typical combos in games like Soul Caliber, Guilty Gear, and Smash Bros, I don't have a lot of experience with the SF franchise and I'd like to fix that.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Alright friends, I added my code to SirUltimos' list. (Thanks, dude!) Adds me if you have Street Fighter, because while I look forward to getting my ass handed to me online I'd prefer to lose to people on this board over complete randoms. Seriously, I suck at this game.

Actually, does anyone have a link to some kind of "How To Play SF4" primer online? I've played a few fighting games so I'm not a complete fighting game noob, but I'm not really familiar with games in the Capcom style. While I have some idea of the Rock/Paper/Scissors metagame and typical combos in games like Soul Caliber, Guilty Gear, and Smash Bros, I don't have a lot of experience with the SF franchise and I'd like to fix that.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=133340

The OP has a ton of resources; they're not 3DS exclusive but this seems to be close enough to the console versions that it will still help immensely.

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Motherfucking Amazon just delayed my Hori screen protectors until April 19th.

Fuck you Amazon. Fuck you.

Which is why I promptly canceled and reordered it from hori US.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I needed to borrow a second router from an IT friend of mine so that I can get a wireless signal for my DS games, but not I've got wireless for both the DS and the 3DS!

Woo!

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
This discussion has been closed.