As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Want to Cut... Videos!

DourinDourin Registered User regular
I'm looking at doing some video creation, and need a program to edit the videos and all that. They would consist of both FRAPS'd gameplay, as well as video shot from my digital camcorder. I'm coming into this pretty much fresh, and with a tight budget, but I need something better than simply cutting with Windows Movie Maker. What would be some affordable (read: <$100) software options for me. User-friendly is definitely a plus, since this will be my first foray into video editing.

The couple I've looked at are Cyberlink's PowerDirector 9 Deluxe, and Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, but frankly, I'm not sure what is best/necessary.

Oh, and a bonus if anyone could recommend a good wired, handheld mic that would do well with a lot of ambient noise. Also as affordable as possible, please!

Dourin on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been down this road very recently, even made a thread about it! While I have yet to buy any software, at this point I would buy Vegas. Not only did that get suggested in my thread, but a friend of mine who makes short films suggested it, a sound designer friend suggested it, and a friend who edits for his sketch group suggested it.
    I'd get Vegas.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    VirtualDub works pretty well. And it's free.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lightworks is free and open sourced

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You should consider something that also has a good audio editor. The Vegas you linked does not come with Sound Forge.
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, yeah, for the measly ~$20 difference between the one I linked and the one with Sound Forge, I may as well go with the one with Sound Forge.

I also noticed that there is no mic-in on my camcorder. What would be my best option for audio recording from a handheld mic?

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Line in's don't seem to exist on good consumer cameras under the $500 mark or so. There is a Kodak flip type camera out there with a line in that I've seen, that was a little weird.
    Grab a separate, dedicated piece of audio recording equipment.

If you're recording any voice, pretty much all audio on TV and in movies is done in post. Is this something you can record through your computer?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would second the Vegas, I like it, it's pretty easy to learn, and it does a pretty good job.

I'm going to say skip Virtualdub, since it's awkward as anything but an avisynth preview or video capture.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Game BoyGame Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dude, if you wanna make videos I would go with you Ulead. The interface is superb, and adding subtitles, credits, and music is as simple as uploading fraps avi, drag, drop, and clip.

Game Boy on