As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Socom 4

JMT_AOTPJMT_AOTP Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
Anyone interested in this game? lol I don't see a thread about this game and the private beta is ongoing now. If there is a thread already and I over looked it, then please delete.

JMT_AOTP on

• Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Got in this morning with Killzone 3 code. Looks promising. It's nice to see a MP mode with cover system; shame they took it out for Killzone. Sharp Shooter semi/auto selector switch works, which is rather cool. But the camera really does fellate donkeys in close quarters situations. Only had a chance to play for about 40min so far, but I will definitely keep at it.

On a related note, a public service announcement pertaining to silly geese: The internets exist so that, all around the world, people can shoot each other in the face in the spirit of brother/sisterhood, friendship and intercultural warmth and fuzziness. They are not meant as a vehicle for chauvinistic ass-hattery. For instance, banding together with your compatriots to kick someone purely because they speak a different language than you, while at the same time shouting slurs at that person. After all, not everybody necessarily enjoys being screamed at in strangely-accented French as much as I do. The again, maybe I'm just misunderstanding some subtlety of Quebecois humor...

CR

Chainsaw Wabbit on
  • Options
    SteadiestSharkSteadiestShark Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm from the MAG community, I'll be picking this game up for sure.

SteadiestShark on
    GT/PSN: SteadiestShark
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played for about 2 minutes, got shot, then accidentally quit the game. I took this as a subconscious sign and went and did something else.

I intend to buy, but now that I have a new gaming PC I'm finding I just don't give a damn about my consoles right now.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm on PSN grabbing the beta now, will try it when I get home from the gym later. I liked SOCOM 2 so why the hell not?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, I based my last post on videos I had seen, I've yet to actually play it myself.

If it sucks ass, I'll take back my statement. :P

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok, I gave it a go and I think it's pretty uninspiring. Cancelled my pre-order, will get it when it's cheap though.

P.S. The beta crashed after the first match - so bad that I had to actually pull the power cable.

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the beta made me want to stop playing it and put in either uncharted 2 or blops. nothing about it grabbed me in any way. i dunno, maybe the sp/co-op will be cool? i dont have any experience with the socom series, and if this beta is representative at all its going to remain that way.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had the Full Deployment bundle pre-ordered from Amazon, thinking it would be nice to get the move, the sharpshooter and a good game all in one package. Sadly, after being underwhelmed by the beta, knowing no one else personally that was getting it, and the small response here, I'm fairly certain I'm going to cancel it.

Decoy on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I actually cancelled my pre-order for this earlier and used the cash to pick up Marvel vs Capcom 3. Here's a few of my issues with the game:

Absurdly slow turning speed
    No customization for the control schemes
    Having a firemode selection is awesome, still proves to be useless though

Overall, I was severely underwhelmed after investing a ton of time in it. I could never do better than 1:1 per match.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Curious. This game has been out for two days now and the thread is on page 6 and nobody has said one single word since it came out. Did nobody actually buy it? Did it bomb or something?

I personally didn't get it, but I was hoping to read some thready goodness and see other people's impressions. But I guess nobody got it? Or something?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SOCOM4 is like those racing games that came out on the same day earlier this year. Or Alan Wake to Valve/Netherrealm's Red Dead.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm sort of interested in getting the Full Deployment Edition, because Amazon will buy back the game itself for $40, leaving it $110 for a full PS3 Move setup. :P

adytum on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The pre-owned price has already dipped below fifty something if Gamestop's site is to be believed.

It just feels overly generic and sort of slow. Isn't that ADD speed that Call of duty is that can be entertaining nor does it approach the sense of scale MAG left me with. Disappointing, but what else can be said?

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, the fact that you can't do the online portion of the game sort of hurts the shit out of it. That WAS the selling point for the whole damn series after all.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm still shaking my head that this thing launched without a proper group system*. You'd think Zipper never made an online game before.

*Based on my time with the beta and ignoring clan battles.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I'm still shaking my head that this thing launched without a proper group system*. You'd think Zipper never made an online game before.

MAG, wuts dat?! :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This thread has been really tearing up the boards.

I broke down and ordered the Full Deployment edition, since Amazon keeps getting returns and offering them as open-box deals for $25 below retail.

I figure I'll give the campaign a whirl then trade off the game before next week. :)

adytum on
  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rented this over past week to try the singleplayer (MP beta was kinda fun overall) and wasn't very impressed. What initially looks like a powerful and flexible system for giving orders to your teammates turns out to be nearly pointless, because said teammates are dumb as rocks. Almost without fail, they take cover on the wrong side of cover. Bad news for the player who has to revive them all the time, good news for all those concrete barriers: Human shields means less unsightly bullet holes and shrapnel nicks!

The other big selling point, the ability to use the Move Sharp Shooter, is also a let-down. Implementation is way inferior to Killzone 3 (where, with practice, it actually makes you BETTER rather than worse). A big part of the problem is the awful 3rd-person camera. A pity, because presumably a lot of people will buy the SOCOM 4+Sharp Shooter bundle and conclude that the Sharp Shooter sucks...instead of using it to play Killzone 3, and correctly concluding that it is the dog's bollocks.

Chainsaw Wabbit on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wulf wrote: »
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

MAG, wuts dat?! :lol:
    I must have missed this...and now I miss my shotgun again :(

And "dog's bollocks" is a good thing? Am I the only one confused by this? :P
    I still have the itch to try out a sharpshooter but I'm not about to pay for the privilege. I guess having a sharpshooter demo unit may scare parents away from buying Violent Shooter: Extra Realism! for little Johnny.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My bundle came last night.

The game's "okay" but playing with the Sharp Shooter you end up fighting the camera as much as playing the game.

Tried the SS with Dead Space: Extraction and that was a much better experience.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Right, played through this over the weekend.

Move implementation is absolute rubbish. More time is spent fighting the camera than playing the game.

With the DS it's fine.

Overall the game is pretty good. The story is okay, the gameplay is fun. A couple of the battles are pretty epic, particularly the one at the end.

The game mechanics are good, and there are multiple ways to go through some of the areas. The friendly AI system works well, though you really don't need to pay much attention to it. Consider it an extra that can make things easier, but the AI squads are capable enough if you just have them follow you around rather than giving them directions.

The stealth bits vacillate between being fun and being ridiculously frustrating. There's one section where you need to nail 6 precision shots, 3 of them within about a second of one another.

I can't speak for the multiplayer obviously, but overall I'd say the single player campaign is worth a play through.

adytum on