As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Thread 2. Yep, we're still at it.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdwETDQXCw

Just avoid crossfit speed. Those folks are crazy and dangerous.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So many future fucked up knees and backs up in that video.

Holy shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Huh, I just find this thread, maybe i should head out of [chat] more often.

What to say, I started working out and changed my eating habits around... January, i think? i don't remember. Got an elliptical trainer, started doing sessions on it.

Now several months later, i'm 30 pounds leaner, do 35 minutes of elliptical every evening or so (I keep 1 night a week to rest.. i'm kinda lazy) and i stabilized to about 3.5 pounds in weight loss every week. Things are going great.

If i can lose 30 pounds, anyone can, you just need a bit of motivation and you're set. :)

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I'm going by Convict Conditioning, which is about 5 seconds per rep, and not an insane amount of reps. Maybe up to 50 on the beginning steps, with the reps going down to 20 or fewer reps as the forms gets more complicated/complete, and only 1-3 sets.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Holy shit.

You have to skip to second 13 to see the actual form lesson.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I have to say, I get very suspicious when any source starts talking about "superfoods" or "nutrient dense" foods and does not include some form of liver in the list. Charts are originally from freetheanimal.

nutrition.png

Obviously, 1400 calories of liver is an insane amount. I remember reading that eating the entire liver of some type of bear (polar?) can actually kill you from vitamin overdose (Vit A specifically). 4oz will get you to about 50-80% of RDA for most of those values.

Dracil on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Holy shit.

You have to skip to second 13 to see the actual form lesson.

Yeah, and lots of those people are rotating their knees out... makes the motion easier on the muscles but less than ideal for the joints.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I've been adding in liver. I cook it in a generous amount of butter for about a minute a side and throw some salt on it. Not bad at all. When I first started eating it I would mash it up and try to hide it in a bunch of eggs bacon and potato. This did not work well.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Yeah, and lots of those people are rotating their knees out... makes the motion easier on the muscles but less than ideal for the joints.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by rotating the knees out. Are you talking about a more sumo like position?

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Dropped another pound for today's group weigh-in, though honestly it's been fluctuating thereabouts around 1-2 pounds every day so not sure how important it is.

Dracil on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    day 2 of PT complete!

Same routine as last time, only with new things added in!

Like holding onto a 5kg weight while doing the squats (20), and then not only holding the weight, but lifting it above my head as well (20).
    Or stepping over the step like last time, but this time pausing in the middle to do the Karate Kid arm lift with 2kgs in each hand.
    And lowering the bar another level to make the pushups that much harder.

And the worst thing. The absolute worst thing, getting down onto the floor on my chest/back and then getting back up again. that is seriously a full body workout for somebody like me.

But man, I felt good.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    For all intents and purposes, hit the progression standard for Full Pushups. Tried to do Close Pushups after. Body said uh-uh. Guess I'll try again later. If I still can't I guess I'll work on going even lower on the Full Pushups first.

Dracil on
  • Options
    I like the idea of convict conditioning. I'll think I'll buy the book once I hit the full squat, pullup and pushup progressions. How often do you train?

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am nowhere near as sore today as I was on friday. Nowhere close!

Which is good considering I'm going back to the gym tonight to do some cardio. 35 minutes! Probably treadmill and bike.

• Options
    I felt the same with squats. Feel much better. No delayed onset muscle soreness this time around. I still don't have the stamina/strength to sprint very far though. I can make it about 60 yards before my legs get rubbery.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    I am so not quite ready to start running yet.

And yet, at the same time, I feel anxious to do so. Especially when i'm plugging away on the treadmill. I have this urge to just start running. But I tried and holy fuck that hurt. My knees, my lower back, not to mention the boobs bouncing everywhere. I had on a good sports bra too. Just not that good, apparently. need like duct tape or something.

so no running yet. But I am hoping to start mentally preparing myself for some rock climbing. The friends/guys all do it, and I think I want to at least try. if I can get over my fear of heights/falling.

By the way, stairs are fucking evil. evil evil evil i hate stairs I am living in a single floored house forever.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    salmon is way more filling than bread though

• Options
    and liver is gross!

• Options
    and liver is gross!

Liver ain't bad if you get good liver and cook it properly. It helps to keep telling yourself how healthy it is. Liver should always be very, very rare.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Combined with not getting to the gym, and some horribly unhealthy eating, Ive gained a crapton of weight. Im up to 215, which is the highest ive been in about 5 years. Last time I weighed this much, I dropped over 30 pounds in about 3 months. Totally about to do it again, as this is super frustrating.

• Options
    and liver is gross!

Foie Gras is fucking delicious.

I am sure it is terrible for me, because it is less liver and more tasty delicacy.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AzariusAzarius Registered User regular
    248.6lbs... Back on the weightloss path. Losing weight is 80% nutrition 20% exercise... I'd gotten away from that 80% hoping the other part would make up for it.

330andfalling.com

• Options
    Azarius wrote: »
    248.6lbs... Back on the weightloss path. Losing weight is 80% nutrition 20% exercise... I'd gotten away from that 80% hoping the other part would make up for it.

330andfalling.com

I lost 35 pounds since Christmas doing pretty much nothing but walking (and I only started that in February when the weather got a bit nicer). It is so true that abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. That said, exercise is so incredibly healthy in so many ways it is crazy not to do it.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Azarius wrote: »

330andfalling.com

I lost 35 pounds since Christmas doing pretty much nothing but walking (and I only started that in February when the weather got a bit nicer). It is so true that abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. That said, exercise is so incredibly healthy in so many ways it is crazy not to do it.

Weight loss is largely diet.

Looking and feeling good with the lost weight is where the exercise comes in. You won't reduce your standing heart rate, increase your endurance, or have well defined muscles by eating below budget alone.

In fact, depending on the exercise, your weight may stay the same or even go up, as your waist shrinks and your clothes fit better.

Always good to do a fair amount of lifting to increase your lean muscle mass and spike your metabolism.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I like the idea of convict conditioning. I'll think I'll buy the book once I hit the full squat, pullup and pushup progressions. How often do you train?

Generally it's just MWF for pullups or pushups in the morning. Squats/leg raises now either the same day at night or on Tuesday/Thursday. I also walk about 2 hours a day to/from work and also during lunch, about 1/3 of that up a hill (I walk up the equivalent of "50 floors" a day on average I think).

Dracil on
  • Options
    I think the only way I can keep weight off is just to be a hardass about eating the rest of my life

which is lame but that's life when you have a mediocre metabolism I suppose

• Options
    I think the only way I can keep weight off is just to be a hardass about eating the rest of my life

It's always good to treat yourself every now and again, so that you don't feel like you are depriving yourself; once a week doing a fun meal that ignores the math is fine.

I find I need to mix up my diet a little more - I am getting bored of my routine in the kitchen right now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

That's the boat I think I'm in. I choose my battles though. If you eat healthy five days a week you've got some room to spare on the other two days.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    I eat pretty well on weekdays I think. On weekends I tend to eat relatively more shittily from waking up really late in the day and being lazy. I need to find my way to the farmer's market again.

• Options
    Okay, I am going to go to the store in a few minutes, and try to buy some different stuff for me to eat so that my diet doesn't get to "samey" on me.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I've noticed that now that I'm working on seriously changing up my diet and my exercise, i feel better.

not only that, but I look better. as in my skin looks better. I haven't seen myself with this clear a complexion since before high school.

which is awesome.

Also, keeping a food diary is a frightening thing.

• Options
    I've noticed that now that I'm working on seriously changing up my diet and my exercise, i feel better.

not only that, but I look better. as in my skin looks better. I haven't seen myself with this clear a complexion since before high school.

which is awesome.

Also, keeping a food diary is a frightening thing.

I'm using an app called MyNetDiary on my iPhone/iPad that makes it crazy easy to make a food plan with target weight goals and other cool tools. By Mid Summer I want to be 185 pounds, and with this tool and some dedication I know I can get there.

Yeah, everything starts to look better once you get your diet in order. My local store had italian sausages for 1.88/lb, and two small links with diced green and red peppers and onions will be a meal ~300 calories, and plenty of food if I bulk with the low calorie vegetables, which will take on the flavors of the sausage they cook with.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    yeah. I don't have one of those fancy phone/pad things. I've got me and my excel spreadsheet.

Just looking at the last 2 days (since I started keeping it) and seeing what I've eaten... I don't eat enough food. I didn't think that it was possible I'd ever say that, but I don't. I need to eat more food. all throughout the day, little meals every 2 or 3 hours. not a little breakfast, bigger lunch, and then dinner.

I need to change the entire way I feed myself, because it's not working.

It's tough though, because I can't eat as soon as I wake up. I have to wait at least an hour, hour and half, before eating otherwise i get nauseous to the point of almost vomiting. Which I really don't understand in the slightest. if I eat, even a small thing, first thing when I get up, I will almost inevitably feel sick. So even getting up at 9, I don't get breakfast into my system until at the earliest 10 or 1030. Which then sets lunch back until like 1 or so. Throws the whole thing off.

Gotta work on that. Ohwell! Housework today!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Why do you need to eat so much/many times a day? Are you actually feeling hungry? It's natural to not feel hungry right after waking as it's supposed to the effect of elevated cortisol on waking. http://www.gnolls.org/2181/the-breakfast-myth-part-2-the-art-and-science-of-not-eating-breakfast/

Dracil on
  • Options
    I don't get hungry because that's pretty much the whole point of low carb. My biggest problem is stress, sleep, and anxiety. I have a very anxious demeanor so all it takes is some stressful event to really put a strain on my sleep and diet. My new goal is to eat more seafood.

Presently in a holding pattern at 205 which is 5 pounds over 25BMI so I expect things will slow down from here.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Food today:

Cup a Joe
    1/2 potato and 3 egg scramble in 1 oz butter with cumin
    4oz beef liver barely cooked in butter

Apple
    Handful of blueberries

8oz scallops in garlic hot pepper butter sauce with 1 cup of rice

Cup of meat spaghetti sauce with onions and zuchini.

Cup of lettuce/mixed greens salad

3 2oz vodka 1 lime soda water drinks (Some stress in my life right now so I'm being bad with the booze).

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    mainly because i think that's the diet that the PT is going to be putting me on. Small meals throughout the day.

Also, because it worked well for me when i was doing Jenny Craig x-many years ago. I lost 30lbs that summer and did hardly any exercise.

• Options
    mainly because i think that's the diet that the PT is going to be putting me on. Small meals throughout the day.

Also, because it worked well for me when i was doing Jenny Craig x-many years ago. I lost 30lbs that summer and did hardly any exercise.

Anything that works has to work forever. In my view you need to find a diet you can live with and then let the weight meet up with the diet. It comes back to my walking philosophy. You are going from point A to point B and you aren't an elite athlete. You can jog a bit and sprint a bit but mostly you will be walking. Same with diet. You can fast for a couple of days, bio hack for a week here and there, but mostly you need stick to things you can stick to.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I agree, as long as it's something you plan to do *for the rest of your life* and it works, that's fine. If it's just a temporary thing, the results will be temporary as well.

Though if the reason the PT gave that you're supposed to eat many small meals a day is because it'll "raise your metabolic rate" I'm just gonna facepalm and leave it at that.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Dracil wrote: »
    I agree, as long as it's something you plan to do *for the rest of your life* and it works, that's fine. If it's just a temporary thing, the results will be temporary as well.

Though if the reason the PT gave that you're supposed to eat many small meals a day is because it'll "raise your metabolic rate" I'm just gonna facepalm and leave it at that.

A lot of PTs like the eat often approach because it's old weight training lore. They fear going catabolic. I prefer the old school Art Devany approach which is "I lose some muscle at noon so what. I'll gain it back at midnight." Plus for me I'm mostly worried about body comp and insulin resistance since I have type 2 diabetes in my family. If I'm below 15% bodyfat I'll worry about losing muscle but until then it's all about dropping fat.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius