As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Arcane- Above ground!

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Ha, I like your attitude Fyden!" Nkbarros' respect for certain team members was constantly going up. "Nevertheless, if we can avoid them we probably should do so."

Nkbarros begins quickly packing his things, but keeping an eye out through his peripheral vision toward the edge of the clearing.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alise starts as there is suddenly a flurry of commotion in the clearing. "What's all the excitement about?" After taking some time to wake up and get filled in on the situation, she adds, "Riishi, was it? Can you tell how long this mark has been there? We need to know how much time they've had to prepare themselves."

Alise follows the others and packs her things, keeping her tome within quick reach.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hibiki groaned as he pulled himself out of his sleeping roll. His eyes were gummy and he fumbled around for his equipment, barely registering that his sword had, for once, not made any unusual moves during the night, like setting itself point down in the dirt like a cross or unsheathed itself across his feet.

He was just not a morning person. "Fine, let's move, alreeeawn.dy..."

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    “Not very long,” Riishi responds sheepishly to Alise. “But still, too long. We should move on.”

Riishi is embarrassed that she dozed on watch. Yesterday’s battle must have taken a greater toll than she realized. She must be more self aware. More worrying though, is why Cherka allowed someone to enter their clearing…
    Ready! to roll out.

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "It may not have been the elf. There could have been more like her at the meeting. Let's go then... no need to give them any more of a head start."
    !ready

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As the others gather their gear, Riishi and Cherka scout the camp perimeter. If the Nk’barra knows they’re here, they may already be waiting in ambush. It’d be best to avoid that, if possible...
    Nature: 1d20+9 10 looking for signs of recent passage and/or likely ambush positions near camp.

durf

...though her mind still feels fuzzy from a long day and short night.

Bhow on
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tired and hungry after a restless night and a rude awakening, the party gathers its packs and continues on its way.

Riishi scouts ahead with her companion silently stalking by her side. The rest of the party stumbles through the underbrush. The rolling hills give way to more rocky crests covered in chaparral. As the sun reaches its zenith, it becomes obvious that you are headed east still and the land is changing. You seem to be farther away from the river and the land is starting to get that high desert feel. You all take a rest under the shade of a juniper tree and consider your options.

If you think you've been this far east before, either make up a really good story explaining why you would have traveled around out here or roll an excellent history/nature check. Most people haven't been out thisaway and don't know what to expect.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Riishi stood on a small rock outcropping, surveying the foothills before her. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath of the dry air and listened.

She’d never been this far east. The air tasted different. The rustling leaves sang in a different timbre. Small animals scurried through scrub instead of grass. But it was still nature, open to her senses.

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Riishi:
    Straight ahead of you, you smell mountains, and the daunting threat of dark forces. To the north, the river cuts through a pass, and you hear small animals whisper about the waterfall that cascades over the looming rock. You have heard of the Eastern Reaches, and you know that they are treacherous, wild, and unpredictable.

Your choices are to go straight up to the mountain and find the pass by traveling north, or to travel northeast and hit the river and the pass that way.

daniant on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "I lived in these areas as a tyke. One of the encampments.... dangers abound, and there isn't an easy answer," Fyden says, shaking his head. "If the Nk'Barros aren't hunting you, wild beasts are. There is a path through the mountains, but I never saw it myself. Hopefully you or your companion can help us get past them. I'd shudder to imagine scaling them like this."

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    “Hi!” Riishi chirped smilingly, as the first of the others pulled themselves from the bracken and clinging undergrowth of the forest. “Isn’t it grand?” her sweeping spear-arm indicating the vista before them. “I’ve never been here before!”

As the others found seats or leaned against the few remaining tree trunks, she illustrated with her spear, pointing north. “Those two peaks? Somewhere among them is a pass that will take us through the mountains, to the fabled Eladrin lands where Thoro the Good Goblin rescued the Vulture Princess. Or,” swinging her pointer to the northeast, “from that misty cleft you can smell a cataract, which also cuts a path through the mountain range. Both choices offer danger at this season, though one may be drier than the other.”

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Either path presents dangers. The mountains seem less likely to have Nk'Barros, but other dangers certainly will be there..."

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "The mountains will give us a good point to try and spot our destination. I can't say that I look forward to all the hiking though."

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "I too would lend support for travelling through the mountains, the danger from creatures would be greater, but less from Nk'barra."

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    FinkleFinkle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "I would agree with the majority of the group," Dietrich confirms. "The less that we need to deal with the nk'barra, the better."
    Ready to keep moving

Finkle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hibiki nods to Dietrich's assessment. "You only need to deal with a monster once. The more we fight nk'barra, they'll just get pissed and send more later."

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    With the mountains ahead, the group relaxes in the shade for a few more minutes, sharing a waterskin and some trail rations. There are a few birds in the sky above you, but for the moment, the day seems pretty peaceful. You start your treck eastward again, knowing that from the distance, it looks to be several more days before you reach the mountains...

Make me some perception checks

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Riishi smiled as she stretched her short legs in the sun. Hiking through the woods was not new to her, but she had never before been pursued, nor had such a daunting journey ahead of her. She walked next to Alise, and watched Cherka. The cat, now small enough to not intimidate anything larger than a rabbit, was playing with a flying insect, pouncing and pawing at it. Raising her eyes to the mountains ahead of them, Riishi asked Alise wistfully, “What’s out there?”
    Perception: 1d20+9 24

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fyden moves carefully, picking his way along and keeping his body close to the foliage.

At the very least, he'd get a chance to strike first if they were attacked.
    Stealth, nature, perception: 1d20+5 24 1d20+5 8+4 (using Knack for Success), encounter power, so it will be unavailable until some time has passed 1d20+5 10
    Stealth 24 to move concealed
    Nature 12 to see anything unusual
    Perception 10 to spot anything

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Your guess is as good as mine. In all the books I've read, they never get farther than 'It's dangerous'. It can't be that bad though, right? Maybe there's just more magic around here, and that's what scares everyone away." Alise took a look around the clearing, but didn't notice much besides more trees and mountains.
    Perception: 1d20+4 = 14

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nkbarros observed the mountains. He'd been this far east before, but only to hide from patrols when the Nk'bara were actively looking for him. He'd never explored the mountains in any capacity, but he felt comfortable enough, they represented to him the furthest reaches of Nk'baran control. "You know, I've often wondered why I never just kept moving east. I've had plenty of opportunity to in the past . . ."
    Perception Roll: 1d20=12

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dietrich's forehead creased as he noticed how quickly Riishi was becoming familiar with their companions. He must not let himself forget who he was travelling with and why they could not be trusted, despite the air of normality that Alise and Fyden in particular weave about themselves.

Dietrich squinted at the birds flying above. After the message in the clearing, he remained uneasy.

Finkle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Perception 20:
    The birds in the distance appear to be wheeling closer. There is a large flock and a few smaller birds.

Perception 25:
    The birds in the distance appear to be coming your direction, as if they are coming straight for you. They appear to be some kind of bird of prey...

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Peering above him, Dietrich slowly draws his sword, unsure of what action is appropriate in this situation. "Eyes to the sky, people - something about those birds is making me uneasy. Does anyone know which flight forms Nk'barra druids normally take?"

Finkle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "The birds?"

Riishi paused on the narrow trail, her fingers drumming lightly along her spear shaft as she watched the sky.

"The birds."
    Anything...unnatural...about them? Nature: Birds: 1d20+9 17

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fyden continues to move stealthy, hidden beneath his cloak. "We should get under some cover," he says quietly. "If they are going to attack us, better they can't use their flight to their advantage."
    anything we can use to get under? trees/etc?

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "What about the birds? I've never heard anything about the nk'barra druids, but I try not to be on the business end, so to speak. If they are watching us, it's probably too late to do anything about it now..."
    History on druid flight forms: 1d20+9 = 14

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You know that druids do occasionally take flight forms. If these were druids, however, there would have to be an awful lot of them.

Riishi:
    The birds appear to be flesh-rippers and some large flocks of little birds. you can't quite make out You have heard of flesh-rippers before: they are one of the reasons why people don't go into the desert much; they drink blood.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fyden:
    I assume you are stealthing under a juniper shrub.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Um, yeah. We should find cover," she says as she looks around at the dry, scrubby environment with growing unease. "I'm pretty sure those larger birds are called 'flesh-rippers'. Wanna guess why?"
    Is there cover around? Any defensible positions nearby? Would you like a roll?

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    daniant wrote: »
    Fyden:
    I assume you are stealthing under a juniper shrub.
    Fyden has camouflaged clothing (+1 stealth to hide) and he is trying to keep himself low to the ground and blend in with the shrubbery and bushes. Ideally, he'd find some trees, but if none are available, he's just moving very slowly and trying to blend in with the surroundings--the same way a hare hides from a hawk in a field.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    As the birds draw nearer, it is clear they have one thing on their mind: blood.

Roll initiative!

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    r: 1d20+2 8 Let me know if I'm hidden/get a surprise attack! Thanks Dani

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "... You know, of all the frigging things I thought I'd see out in this place... Out of all the neat shit, new places, and Goddamned monsters... BIRDS?"

He looks at the others, annoyed as he brings his sword up in front of him. "Really?"

Init: 1d20 11

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Riishi, standing exposed on the path, looking up at the approaching birds, doesn't notice her companions diving for cover.

Init: 1d20+1 6

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "It could be worse, you know. It could be bugs. Big, bloodthirsty bugs." Alise takes her time getting up from the grass, and by the time she's standing, the birds are practically on top of them.
    Init:1d20+2 = 3
    I have such good luck with rolls =(.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Should've rolled Luckmancer. They have a Utility power that turns 1s into 20s.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The witchhunter gritted his teeth and waited to receive the attack.

Finkle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nkbarros takes out his Arcane Rod and the power from his infernal patron flows through his body in anticipation of the fight.
    Initiative: 1d20=9

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay! Fyden is hidden but does not get a surprise attack. Brown jagged things are rocks, and are difficult terrain. Green fluffy things are juniper trees and provide some cover.

Map:
    pub?id=14GhPT4wWa1xHWr5C2kTCQUqtVsTDYnB5oiMhFjO1jdc&w=1127&h=1142

Initiative:
    Up first: Dietrich, Hibiki
    On deck: Birds (Higher init. modifier than nk'barros)
    Then: Nk'barros, Fyden, Riishi, Alise

Stats:
    Blood Flock 1: 35/35 HP, AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 14
    Blood Flock 2: 35/35 HP, AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 14
    Flesh Ripper 1: 27/27 HP, AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 12
    Flesh Ripper 2: 27/27 HP, AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 12
    Flesh Ripper 3: 27/27 HP, AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 12

Blood Flock Aura 1: Any enemy that starts its turn within the aura takes 4 damage and is slowed until the start of its next turn.

The flock can occupy the same space as another creature, and an enemy can enter its space, which is difficult terrain. The swarm cannot be pulled, pushed, or slid by melee or range attacks. It can squeeze through any opening that is large enough for at least one of the creatures it comprises. Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks

Riishi: 24/24 HP, AC 15, Fort 12, Reflex 13, Will 15, 1 AP
    Fyden: 27/27 HP, AC 17, Fort 12, Reflex 14, Will 15, 1 AP
    Hibiki: 25/25 HP, AC 18, Fort 13, Reflex 16, Will 13, 1 AP
    Alise: 23/23 HP, AC 14, Fort 12, Reflex 15, Will 15, 1 AP
    Nk'barros: 28/28 HP, AC 14, Fort 12, Reflex 13, Will 13, 1 AP
    Dietrich: 25/25 HP, AC 16, Fort 12, Reflex 15, Will 16, 1 AP

daniant on