As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trails in the Sky -- Legend of the Heroes VI

CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
the_legend_of_heroes_trails_of_the_sky.jpg?t=1300708474

Story:

The story of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky opens in the quaint and serene town of Rolent in the Liberl Kingdom, a land that, while outmatched by surrounding countries in terms of size and military might, manages to maintain its global presence through world-class engineering, ample septium resources and able diplomacy. Still recovering from a fierce war with the powerful Erebonian Empire just ten years prior, players take the reins as Estelle Bright, a young martial arts expert with an effervescent personality and tenacious spirit, as well as her close friend Joshua, as they take their first steps in joining the legendary Bracer’s Guild. Charged with upholding the peace and safety of the citizens, Bracers must first seek qualification in all the regions of the kingdom, and to that end Estelle and Joshua begin their journey.

As players delve further into the story of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, they will traverse an entire kingdom steeped in detail, navigating everything from ancient towers and deep mines to quaint villages and seaside resorts, and become entangled in the geopolitical landscape as they meet new characters along the way. Sprawling landscapes, perilous encounters and mysterious happenings punctuate every moment of the game’s 50-plus hours of gameplay. Through the course of their journey, Estelle and Joshua will begin to uncover a mutinous conspiracy that threatens to overthrow the Liberlian queen and compromise the kingdom’s peaceful landscape: a sinister plot that they must unravel on their quest to become fully-fledged Bracers.

So what makes this game so great?

1) The Kingdom Of Liberl. Each of the five cities in the kingdom of Liberl has its own history, economy and a full cast of unique NPCs living in it. There are no extra or filler people without names wandering around the streets, even if a character isn't particularly important they have a name and a realized personality. No world-trotting-super-natural-save-the-universe plots here, everything is relatively sane and well explained.

2) Strategic battle system. This is a bit hard to explain, but basically the battle system is a marriage of a typical tactics games and the FFX battle system. On some turns there'll be a bonus (like Str +50 or Critical Hit), so much of the game is trying to manipulate turn orders so that you can get those bonuses. There is a magic system and a skill system. To use skill you need special CP points which are earned by getting hit or hitting an enemy in battle, so sometimes it may make sense to let the enemies smack up one of your characters to build up their CP. If you get 100 CP you can basically use a limit break any time you feel like (this is one way of manipulating turn order).

3) The music.
This is from the same people that made the Ys soundtrack.

Oh god, the music.

Check out http://www.trailsinthesky.com/ for a detailed introduction to the game.

TL;dr
A $30, 50 hour long balls to the walls awesome JRPG is coming to PSP on March 29th.

CygnusZ on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I've actually already played this game. Here's a bit more of an objective view:

First of all, the game is extremely plot heavy. You may be reading for 15 or so minutes during the major plot scenes. Much of the game revolves around working for the Bracer guild. Some of your jobs revolve around going to a dungeon and killing monsters, but other jobs revolve around tasks like conducting an investigation into a theft or helping a chef locate a new ingredient for his cooking. Doing work for the Bracers guild is purely optional, but it's probably the easiest way to make money. If you wish that RPGs were just straight dungeon crawling, TitS probably isn't for you.

The game is easy. If you hate seeing the game over screen this might make you happy, but I was kind of disappointed that the enemies basically never managed to kill me until the end. There is a reason for this however, this is the first game in a trilogy. I'm currently playing the second game, and the difficulty curb picks up exactly where the first game left off. The second game is really difficult, and I'm just barely managing to get past the boss battles by the skin of my teeth. I'm playing the PC version so there's no option, but for the PSP version I think you can select your difficulty level.

The game looks really good. As far as sprite art goes, this Falcom really did a bang up job here. Each of the little sprites has all sorts of tiny little details, and they look absolutely amazing when they're jumping around fighting. What really struck me is how each town has its own distinct look. The costal city of Ruan is designed with architecture that looks completely distinct from the industrial town of Zeiss.

Finally, the game sounds great as well. I'm always hesitant to move on to new areas when playing because I'm going to miss listening to X locations soundtrack.

Trails in The Sky is a gem that is going to be overlooked because it's being released on PSP. Falcom should have let Xseed release it on Steam where it may have become a cult classic. One cute thing to note is that you can actually export your character at the end of this game and then import them into the sequel. If you're a fan of other Falcom games, enjoy RPGs like Dragon Quest and the old FF games, you'll probably like TiTS.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No replies at all so far? For shame, PA. For shame.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it here: had XSEED not announced their loc project, Sora no Kiseki would've been at the very top of Carpe Fulgur's list of licenses to pursue if Recettear proved successful and allowed us to continue as a going Thing. I almost literally did this IRL when XSEED announced the license, in the middle of our Recettear work.

I do agree with the assessment that the PC versions should be on Steam (and hope they will be, as XSEED has expressed interest in making it happen) but even on the PSP I think they'll do okay. Lord knows Steam is starving for this kind of content, though, especially the quality this game provides.

In a lot of ways, I think of these games as basically the Mass Effect of Japan: there's lots of non-combat stuff to do, there's tons of plot, lots of twists, tons of background info available for perusal (some of which becomes extremely relevant as time goes on), and engaging characters who players really bond with. Had the games actually come out here in rough tandem with their Japanese releases, I wouldn't have been surprised to see ME and SnK stacked up against one another. Even with the late arrival, though, they're still so, so worth it and I can't wait for this Tuesday.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to pick this up once I get a bit more money because I want to play it, but part of me is just buying it in the hopes that it improves the chances for an english Ys vs. SnK: Alternative Saga. I mean if Ys has been selling well and then this sells well it's only natural to bring that out, right?

Gilder on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Already have it preordered.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    I'm going to pick this up once I get a bit more money because I want to play it, but part of me is just buying it in the hopes that it improves the chances for an english Ys vs. SnK: Alternative Saga. I mean if Ys has been selling well and then this sells well it's only natural to bring that out, right?

Hmmmmm. Ys vs. Trails is something I'm not so sure on. It's really a question of how well Trails does, I think; the Ys games, particularly Oath (and a lot of Oath characters are in YvsSnK) have apparently done well, and if Trails does well too, I could see them perhaps bringing it over, but it really was a fanservice thing for Japan and I dunno if there are enough big fans in America (yet) to justify it.

Plus, they need to bring Trails SC out at a minimum before considering it. YvsSnK pretty much assumes you're totally familiar with the plots to both primary Trails games, and even the Japanese promotional website is kind of huge spoilers if you haven't played SC yet. So it'll be a while, either way.

EDIT: Also is it sad that I keep using the website to listen to that track from the game? It might be, but somehow I find myself not caring.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Oh, a little something that needs to be said -

BEWARE OF SPOILERS FOR THIS GAME AND ITS IMMEDIATE SUCCESSOR. THEY HAVE BEEN OUT FOR OVER HALF A DECADE IN JAPAN AND MANY SPOILERS FOR CRUCIAL MAIN PLOT EVENTS EXIST ON PLACES LIKE WIKIPEDIA. PART OF THE ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME IS THE PLOT TWISTS AND YOU DO NOT WANT THEM RUINED FOR YOU.

AVOID WIKIPEDIA, THE HARDCORE GAMING 101 ARTICLE, GAMEFAQS AND THE LIKE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED FOR MAJOR PLOT POINTS IN THIS GAME AND SECOND CHAPTER.

Really, I think that might need to be in the OP, because like ME or similar plot-heavy RPGs, a large part of the enjoyment is the twists and it's really easy to have those ruined for you. I've actually got a line out to Kurt Kalata over at HG101 about their Trails article and getting it trimmed up a bit to avoid spoilers, but Wikipedia and GameFAQs are probably a lost cause at this point. Avoid them if you can, you'll run into spoilers otherwise.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think they might bring it out if they intend to continue bringing out Falcom games, because XSeed seems to be the only ones that care enough to give them a good treatment. I've heard Namco's translation of the other Legend of Heroes games on PSP are pretty crappy. However I'm afraid that by the time they get around to it the PSP might be considered too dead to bother with anymore, what with the NGP on the way.

I will say however that XSeed is completely random. They brought out a Wizard of Oz RPG right after saying no to RGC2 because nobody bought the first one, as if they expected WoO to break the bank. So I'm not sure what they want in sales. I think if they did a low print run of Alternative Saga it might work out.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All I ever heard about the Legend of Heroes series was TERRIBAD. Is this game any different?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will buy any jrpg or similar game on the pc because they are so goddamn rare. This hits steam and it's a no-brainer day 1.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    All I ever heard about the Legend of Heroes series was TERRIBAD. Is this game any different?

Incorrect. The Gagharv Trilogy of games was just fine. It was Bandai's localization that was teribad.
    This is the start of a completely different trilogy.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfSK9ZkDhY

Also, yay for gun wielding characters and the existence of technology.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Incorrect. The Gagharv Trilogy of games was just fine. It was Bandai's localization that was teribad.
    This is the start of a completely different trilogy.

So what's the gameplay like? I heard it was no different then super simplistic turn based stuff but if that was true I can't see how it would get to 6 games.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If it is just simplistic turn based stuff then this is exactly what I want. The music in those YouTube links touches me in a special place. I'll probably pre-order this when I go pick up my 3ds.
    Thanks for pointing out a game I most definitely would have overlooked otherwise.
    Does anyone know if they plan on bringing the sequels over too?

LD50 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Almost certainly.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Almost certainly.

That is good enough for me.

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So what's the gameplay like? I heard it was no different then super simplistic turn based stuff but if that was true I can't see how it would get to 6 games.

Ten, actually. Five "Legend of Heroes" games... and now four Trails games with a fifth coming.

Combat-wise, here's a decent spoiler-free video from the first game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVovdu1psW0

Combat takes place on a pseudo-tactical map, with your party versus the enemy party. Positioning does actually matter; in the video above, the boss' fire-based AoE attack could have been avoided to some degree had the player bothered to spread out a little (and yes, there's a separate "move" command). You've got special attacks as well as a magic system a bit similar to FFVII; it's a really complete, fun battle system. It's worth noting that First Chapter (the game we're getting on Tuesday) isn't that hard combatwise; the games don't really start putting your balls in a vice until Second Chapter. Both games feature interestingly-designed fights that can punish you for bad positioning, require a damage race (or not), enemies big enough to literally punt you across the entire field with their basic melee, etc. (EDIT: Oh, I should mention: random encounters work almost exactly like Earthbound. You can see them on the map, you can potentially ambush them, they can potentially ambush you, works pretty much like it did in EB.)

However, it's really comparable to Bioware RPGs, in a way, in that combat takes up perhaps a minority of the experience. There's lots of (actually pretty interesting) plot with tons of optional background material to explore (ala the codex in Mass Effect), lots of sidequests that involve little to no combat at all, fishing, you get the idea. It doesn't have quite the illusion of choice that, say, Mass Effect does, although there are some choices and they carry over between games through saves.

When I call it the Mass Effect of Japan, I'm really not being all that facetious. There are design similarities and they're both really good.

(For the record, the LoH games we've gotten so far were fairly rancid ports that messed with the combat engine and had really uninspired translations. The Trails games were ported by Falcom directly and the PSP versions play 1:1 with the PC versions. And unless something goes catastrophically wrong, the XSEED script in Trails should be really solid.)
    LD50 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they plan on bringing the sequels over too?

Unless FC absolutely fucking flops (and there's indications already that won't happen based on pre-orders alone), they want to bring SC over at a minimum to finish out the "first" story arc. The other games will be dependent on continued sales. The real question is speed; they can, at best, do one game a year which would take them into 2015 by the time they get to Ao no Kiseki. Needless to say the PSP will be long-dead by then, so how exactly the last few games will be released is kind of an open question right now.

We're pretty much certain to get the primary duology that made the series famous in Japan, though.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's different from Mass Effect in that you don't really get to make decisions. I mean, you may be asked questions, but they're the kind of questions where there's a definite right and wrong answer. There is some neat stuff with FC<-->SC interplay when you import, but there's no real point in getting into it quite yet. That said, the amount of time spent into making a consistent world is really high. One of the bosses just made a passing reference to a piece of fictional literature that I read earlier in the game.

One thing about combat is that there's no real way to grind. As you level up, you gain less and less exp from the enemies, so you can usually get away without fighting too compulsively. You'll probably fight a bit to get Sepith, little crystals that can be used to make Quartz that boost your stats. If you're careful about how you move, you can get through most random battles without even getting hit. SC is much more unforgiving with the battles than FC.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So wait. We have a staff chick that actually is a physical staff chick using it as an awesome martial arts weapon (instead of a mage stat stick)? And a girl with a gathering gun?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So wait. We have a staff chick that actually is a physical staff chick using it as an awesome martial arts weapon (instead of a mage stat stick)? And a girl with a gathering gun?

Yes and yes. In fact, Estelle, the aforementioned bo-staff user and protagonist of the game, is pretty much one of the biggest no-nonsense female action heroes of video gaming. She has her cute moments, but she's wholly capable of ruining people.

And Tita's (the machinist girl) weapons start at the mini-gatling level... and get bigger from there. Sometimes it's a wonder the recoil doesn't send her flying off the combat map.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Since I've only played a few hours of the PC version, here's a mechanics question. Can you choose your active party members or do they come and go based on where you are in the story?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Cygnus can better answer that for FC since I'm not 100% on that, although I believe it starts out as "they come and go as plot demands" and then toward the end you get to choose from the entire possible party; I know that with SC and Third, you get to choose from an (ever-increasing) number of party members. If anything Third gets a bit silly with it, but then Third is silly in a number of ways.

(Hilariously, Zero no Kiseki avoids this question by only HAVING four core party members, not counting the occasional guest star.)

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This all sounds really good to me. The difficulty doesn't phase me either way, easy or hard, as long as the story is engaging and the gameplay is fun. I've been itching for a good JRPGs for awhile (since the early 2000s?) Non cookie-cutter characters is a plus too. Nothing mentioned in this thread sounds even remotely bad.
    So glad I have tuesday off; I can hardly wait.

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lets hope Amazon ships to APO fast enough. :(

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Considering preordering this, but still on the fence. There's just so many other games to buy! And then if I choose this, I have to pick between normal or LE! What if it pricedrops like Ys?! I spent 45$ on that, and then it dropped to 30 before I even opened it!

This is difficult.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Considering preordering this, but still on the fence. There's just so many other games to buy! And then if I choose this, I have to pick between normal or LE! What if it pricedrops like Ys?! I spent 45$ on that, and then it dropped to 30 before I even opened it!

This is difficult.

Well, remember that the more money XSEED makes on this, the quicker the other games can come over. I'll admit to feeling a little bad about pushing that idea when there isn't a playable demo for people to kick around so they can judge whether or not they like the game, though.

The normal is only $30 bucks, though, just sayin'. :3 It's easily more game than Dragon Age 2 at half the price, I feel confident in saying that much.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I bought it and then sent an email to Xseed saying that to thank me they have to localize Class of Heroes 3.

100% guaranteed to work.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looking at random youtube battle videos. The music is amazing.
    But more than that there's mecha, and satellite laser beam attacks, and.. and.. god damn I want this game.

Is there a spoiler-light rundown of the characters and their weapons and moves/ability types?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really want to watch more videos for this game, but I don't want to spoil myself either.

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looking at random youtube battle videos. The music is amazing.
    But more than that there's mecha, and satellite laser beam attacks, and.. and.. god damn I want this game.

Is there a spoiler-light rundown of the characters and their weapons and moves/ability types?

Oh god you might've spoiled the fuck out of yourself without even realizing it. :x That's why picking videos for this game is hard, because the best videos can also ruin the shit out of SC in particular (which is sad, 'cause that's where a lot of the really spectacular stuff is; there's one video, which I suspect you watched, that is an absolutely perfect demonstration of the combat engine at its best, why it's so cool and what the bosses and characters can do... but it's full of spoilers people wouldn't even realize at first :(). Be very careful watching anything labeled SC or The 3rd, it is quite likely to have mega-spoilers.

There's not really a useful, FAQ-like listing of the various special moves (called "Crafts" and "S-Crafts") in English, I'm afraid.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    But... I wanted to hype myself. Is that so wrong?
    There's like no videos on these games. :(

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, these games are seriously Japan's best-kept secret. They're absurdly good, but they get no exposure outside of Glorious Nippon.

Feel free to GET HYPE, just be aware that videos of SC or Third are likely to have really monster spoilers.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You should walk into great games with as little knowledge as possible. This way you can be surprised, entertained and have a sense of discovery. Hyping up a game does nothing but ruin it.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, found some spoiler-free info. Yay.
    The Orbment system looks like materia on crack. Active abilities + passive abilities + totaling points unlocking more abilities. On top of having what looks like character specific abilities.

So... monters don't drop any money, only monster-parts. Is money grindable, or only finite from quests?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haven't bought an XSEED game in a while, so I decided to show my support and preorder this.

Is there seriously a full-length novel in this game?

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes, there's a novel in the game but it's pretty short. Maybe around 50 pages of text?
    The script for TiTS itself is 487 pages long.
    Well, found some spoiler-free info. Yay.
    The Orbment system looks like materia on crack. Active abilities + passive abilities + totaling points unlocking more abilities. On top of having what looks like character specific abilities.

So... monters don't drop any money, only monster-parts. Is money grindable, or only finite from quests?

The way it works is that when you beat a monster they leave behind tiny crystals called Seriph. You can either sell the crystals for money or you can fuse the crystals together into a stat enhancing quartz which you can place in your orbment. Monster parts are better used in cooking than for selling.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For those still looking to GET HYPE and for a demonstration of how various game systems work: a longtime fan by the name of "Floofy" did a run-through of the basic mechanics on the Sancuary Crew videocast. The full video can be found here:

http://www.justin.tv/sanctuarycrew/b/282327416

And some of the more pertinent videos are here:

Combat: http://www.justin.tv/omgfloofy/b/282396651?

Bracers and Orbment: http://www.justin.tv/omgfloofy/b/282395610

Fundamentals: http://www.justin.tv/omgfloofy/b/282395203

The game-text shown is still the Japanese version, but all of the mechanics get explained well enough and with basically no spoilers (since everything shown here is in, like, the first hour of the game).

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Trails in the Blue (5th game in this series, where we're only getting the 1st now) became the best selling game (period, all systems) in preorders alone on Japanese Amazon 48 hours after its announcement. o.O
    FFFFFFFF. XSeed, translate and localize faster so I can give you my monies. :(

Also, pure random sample screenshot from this game that makes me laugh:
    2BYDf.jpg

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Game is officially preordered and paid for. I can't wait for tomorrow!

LD50 on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So If I like JRPGS that are fun and have good music (which is probably the biggest factor to me), then I should buy this right?

And yous say I can put it on my PC? Where would I buy the PC version from?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Falcom games always have great music and this is no different.

There are a couple PC versions of the game (I own the Chinese version personally), but no English PC version. If you want to play this game in English, it looks PSP is your only option.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So If I like JRPGS that are fun and have good music (which is probably the biggest factor to me), then I should buy this right?

Yes indeed. The music is goddamn divine.
    And yous say I can put it on my PC? Where would I buy the PC version from?

There's no English PC version yet. (I really lament this, personally.) XSEED has said they want to investigate making it happen, but for now, your only option is the PSP.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg