edited May 2011
    Yes

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hmmmm

anybody wanna go halvsies on the soundtrack edition?

probably not tonight

but later

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Later might be good, currently their servers are getting slammed and that can slow games down or cause other issues. Wait a day or two and check the Frozen Synapse thread over in G&T and see if the issues are cleared up.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it is awesome

be prepared to make a lot of mistakes to even begin to understand how the game works

things I had to fuck up to learn:

rockets won't explode on impact with the edges of the map unless there's a wall there

rockets will pass over half walls unless the rocket shooter is crouched

grenades do not destroy walls for some reason

get ready to learn the game by getting your ass handed to you

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so long as there's a tutorial

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    there's a horribly inadequate and poorly sequenced tutorial

do exactly what it says (exactly, or it can get stuck and you can't trigger the next event in the tutorial) and you'll understand how to give orders, but that's it

you won't understand dick about the game types or how to succeed in them

fortunately getting destroyed is a great object lesson

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well as you can see the grenades are fragmentation type so they are meant to clear rooms, and they can ricochet off surfaces, also air burst as the path you set is how long till they explode (I think).

The rockets are high explosive and are meant to destroy parts of the level so you can kill people that are standing near a wall or behind cover, and if my fucking replay would have uploaded to youtube. Could totally see me destroy a wall so one of my assaults could blast the fuck out of em as he tries to hide.

Fuck man really wanted that replay 3 kills with one rocket turn one it was fucking amazing.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah but it wasn't explained at all

I assumed the rocket would explode at the point you indicate if you don't use its full range the way a grenade does because that's what the similar unit did

and I assumed a grenade would destroy walls the same way a rocket would because that's what the similar unit did

there was no explanation of the ways in which they were different and I had to lose (to you, of all people) in order to learn it

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    the thing about Samurai honor in that game is that it's totally fine for them to suddenly decide that despite current relations being quite friendly and continued trade history over the course of like sixty turns they think it's totally fine to suddenly stab you in the back and it's totally fine

but when I do it wooo suddenly it's they're all disappointed in me and think I'm an asshole

what's funner is you actually lose honour or general respect or whatever even if they break a longstanding alliance, because they figure that you probably provoked them into it or something? I dunno
    There has been a lot of discussion in the past few weeks about the "Dishonouring Treaties" diplomacy effect, with many players believing that this feature is bugged. Shogun 2 differs from Empire and Napoleon in showing a symmetric relationship between clans, rather than one clans opinion of another clan. The consequence of this is that dishonourable actions by either party will show up in the relationship between those two clans.

If the "Dishonouring Treaties" factor appears in your relationship with another clan it is not that the player is being blamed for dishonouring treaties, but that the relationship between the two clans has degraded, because one or other of them has dishonoured a treaty.

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dino D-Day is steam's daily deal! $9.99!

http://bit.ly/kJ6h2z

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »

Is it good? the premise sounds awesome but I cant really tell what the game-play is like from the video or any of the screenshots.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »

Is it good? the premise sounds awesome but I cant really tell what the game-play is like from the video or any of the screenshots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxxW39P9af8

short answer: no

long answer: not at all. they don't show you any actual gameplay for a very good reason

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    i got the frozen synapse

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be honest the biggest problem I had with Dino D-Day was the lack of servers / players, I just struggled to have fun because there was so little going on any time I tried to play it, everything else about it seemed at least decent though.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That looks pretty bad

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I posted that before I saw the metascore was 53. Checked the steam forums and it really seems to be a love it or hate it deal. Which is a shame, I was interested because before today I had the impression that it was good.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Here, let me tell you about a good game instead.

Thief: Deadly Shadows is $5 for the midweek madness sale. 46 hours left!

I'm pretty sure I've heard people on the forums mention this being one of the better stealth games out.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if you don't already know its the best stealth game in existence, then get out

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've never played it!

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wren wrote: »
    if you don't already know its the best stealth game in existence, then get out

Sorry nope, the original two are better.

It's definitely part of the best stealth game series in existence, though.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a really good game all by itself with some of the most atmospheric levels of all time, but on the whole just doesn't live up to Thief 1 and 2. Still, you can't buy those on Steam, and don't really need to have played them to enjoy Deadly Shadows.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the thing about Samurai honor in that game is that it's totally fine for them to suddenly decide that despite current relations being quite friendly and continued trade history over the course of like sixty turns they think it's totally fine to suddenly stab you in the back and it's totally fine

but when I do it wooo suddenly it's they're all disappointed in me and think I'm an asshole

what's funner is you actually lose honour or general respect or whatever even if they break a longstanding alliance, because they figure that you probably provoked them into it or something? I dunno
    There has been a lot of discussion in the past few weeks about the "Dishonouring Treaties" diplomacy effect, with many players believing that this feature is bugged. Shogun 2 differs from Empire and Napoleon in showing a symmetric relationship between clans, rather than one clans opinion of another clan. The consequence of this is that dishonourable actions by either party will show up in the relationship between those two clans.

If the "Dishonouring Treaties" factor appears in your relationship with another clan it is not that the player is being blamed for dishonouring treaties, but that the relationship between the two clans has degraded, because one or other of them has dishonoured a treaty.

it's not that I don't understand the diplomacy, it's that decisions like these seem to be made totally randomly and with no regard whatsoever for the current diplomatic state of affairs.

I am fine with a relationship being degraded by me breaking a treaty. That is fine. But I do not expect the game to script in events that will make a faction with a hugely positive relationship rating suddenly decide they're going to stab me in the back. If there are strategic factors at play beyond proximity of borders and territorial expansion (I definitely had both, but not nearly enough to counter the "we've been friends for years" and "we've had a stable trading relationship for years" values) when an AI player makes a decision to declare war, then I want to know about them and I want them to be logical. The guy opened up a second front when he was already fighting a costly war against one of the other "big four" players at that point with me, the guy who had his back the whole fucking time.

I, meanwhile, was cleaning up the dregs at the other end of the map in a war against the last Daimyo who declared war on me while I was being nice to him.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That doesn't really have anything to do with that quote, though. I was just explaining to Llama a counterintuitive aspect of the diplomacy screen.

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011

it's not that I don't understand the diplomacy, it's that decisions like these seem to be made totally randomly and with no regard whatsoever for the current diplomatic state of affairs.

I am fine with a relationship being degraded by me breaking a treaty. That is fine. But I do not expect the game to script in events that will make a faction with a hugely positive relationship rating suddenly decide they're going to stab me in the back. If there are strategic factors at play beyond proximity of borders and territorial expansion (I definitely had both, but not nearly enough to counter the "we've been friends for years" and "we've had a stable trading relationship for years" values) when an AI player makes a decision to declare war, then I want to know about them and I want them to be logical. The guy opened up a second front when he was already fighting a costly war against one of the other "big four" players at that point with me, the guy who had his back the whole fucking time.

I, meanwhile, was cleaning up the dregs at the other end of the map in a war against the last Daimyo who declared war on me while I was being nice to him.

Basically this is just you being pissed off because you're assuming that since the reasons aren't obvious to you, they must just be random and therefore unfair. But when a former ally turns against you, they aren't necessarily going to broadcast why. Especially if it's to their benefit to keep you confused. This should be obvious, but I guess it's not. At least to you.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so frozen synapse is basically laser squad nemesis, right?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Call of Duty black ops is having a free weekend this weekend. I figure I might as well play it for a bit.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Red Faction Guerrilla is $5? Gonna finally be a space asshole.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah that is a great game for $5

Artreus on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    Call of Duty black ops is having a free weekend this weekend. I figure I might as well play it for a bit.

1.5 more days than you actually need.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've played BlOps a lot on XBox, so it'll be interesting to see the differences on PC. Maybe I'll even find my PC FPS skills again.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If I had the money I would buy this

Artreus on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, yeah. Black Ops on PC is not so good.

Why do the netcode and lag issues persist even with dedicated servers?

Also, the game looksa little better, but feels a lot looser.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guys it's not steam, but GOG.com just announced that they acquired 25 games in EA's back catalog, and right now they've got Dungeon Keeper, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, and Wing Commander Privateer

But coming soon? Crusader: No Remorse, and Alpha fucking Centauri

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Those aren't the Ultimas I want.

Crusader is good, though.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I assume the black ops free weekend is just for the multiplayer, yeah?

FrylockHolmes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I assume the black ops free weekend is just for the multiplayer, yeah?

Yes. Otherwise it would be like giving away the campaign because you could easily complete it over the weekend.

Also the "weekend" is technically today until Sunday.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay after playing some more, there are some technical problems that are downright stupid. Definitely not paying $60 for this.

edit: or 40

Artreus on
This discussion has been closed.