As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    Paintingses. Left to right, WIP of a portrait of a friend of mine, painting of a Tai Chi dude from photoref that I got bored with before getting to the figure, update of a self-portrait that I posted of myself awhile back (basically the same as it was, except I threw some glazing in there to make my face shinier).
    2-5-2012Paintings.jpg

EDIT: Do browsers force a certain color profile on jpegs? I'm looking at this picture side by side in Chrome and Firefox and the FF one is way more contrasty and gross for reasons I don't understand. :?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    EDIT: Do browsers force a certain color profile on jpegs? I'm looking at this picture side by side in Chrome and Firefox and the FF one is way more contrasty and gross for reasons I don't understand. :?

I don't know if it helps, but out of curiousity I opened the picture in Firefox and Chrome and I can't see a difference. Maybe it's a setting on your version of Firefox or perhaps an add-on?

My versions:
    Firefox 9.0.1
    Chrome 16.0.912.77

MuddyParasol on
  • Options
    I'm on the same versions.
    I suspect something's wrong with my FF install because all the menu fonts are all jacked up, but I don't know if that's a related issue or not.

• Options
    FuserFuser Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Haven't posted in a while...

Here's a quick mock-up of a movie poster I'm making. Plenty of spelling mistakes.

6829522549_71cb104d11_z.jpg

Thoughts?

Fuser on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Bacon - Is your friends name Peter? I love the lighting in your self portrait, you really nailed it!
    ----
    New character!
    specninja.jpg

• Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    bah, damn you wakkawa, that first painting looks just like the only painting i've ever wanted to do.

I'm not giving up though, you make me want to work harder so that I can make that

• Options
    F87 wrote:
    Bacon - Is your friends name Peter? I love the lighting in your self portrait, you really nailed it!

Thanks! Also no, he's not named Peter...does he look like somebody I should be aware of or something?

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    great looking character F87!

figure study!
    prac.jpg

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    1zzjbx2.png

2ahv4g7.png
    Sketch of a female pilot I started last week...

24mb2nm.png
    Started trying to come up with her aircraft as well... Inspired a bit by the P-38... I'm liking the bottom one better :)

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    MYNT! Man, it's been a minute! good stuff, yeah I'm liking the silhouette of the bottom one a bit better. The fuselage underneath seems a bit more balanced visually imo

• Options
    ninjai wrote:
    MYNT! Man, it's been a minute! good stuff, yeah I'm liking the silhouette of the bottom one a bit better. The fuselage underneath seems a bit more balanced visually imo

Thanks!... I been kinda lazy on the art front... :P I wanna try to start being more active again, and shake off this winter hibernation...

(surprised anyone even remembers me here... It's not like I posted a whole bunch... hehehe)

• Options
    Nope, but what you posted was AWESOME. I went back to look at it a minute ago :P

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bored so I did what I do when I'm bored and I don't feel like thinking too hard. I doodled robots.

BROBOTS0206.jpg

BROBOTSTWO0206.jpg

Fugitive on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Robots are quite possibly the best doodling subjects

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    :( I can't draw Wobots, are there any rules to follow?

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I usually start out making thumbnails with a hard square brush. Like around the 40 mark in this vid (except he doesn't use a square brush, to me it makes it easier when working digital)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6GMWbBhp9k&feature=player_embedded

m3nace on
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    moar figures, moar studies.
    prac3.jpgprac4.jpg
    prac22.jpg

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Moved to photo thread. I forgot we had one!

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    @Siegfried - You should throw those in the photo thread! I like the first shot for sure.

---

Can I get some feedback on my new environment? It's certainly not breaking away from my comfort zone, but I want to finish it nonetheless.

envy.jpg

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    I like it, Frank, but I can't get a fix on the rightmost edge of the primary mass with the city on it. Is it really rounded and receded or is it the sharper, inner edge and the outer arc there is something else or just a shadow of rough painting, or....?

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    f87, I love that so far, If I could make any suggestion It would be to move the horizon line from the dead center of the painting, and show off a little more sky! Skies are cool!

Super quick photo paintover to show you what I mean. I also changed the values a little bit.

envy.jpg

I also worked on these yesterday and today.

nanyard.jpg

alien5.jpg

• Options
    squid - It's really rounded and not very defined. I should clean it up and make the shape more clear.

Obilex - That's an awesome crit! It looks much better with more sky, thank you!

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Man, I havn't doodled anything at home in a while. My hand fucking hurts using this intuos now. I need to get a cintiq at home too

Sort of a high fashion red carpet alternate world lady
    bup1c.jpg

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    When you get one, I recommend this arm to turn it into the greatest thing ever. I used the default wacom stand crap for years and this new arm mount has improved the experience so much.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Yes! I want one of those badly. I should ask for one at work

I worked on it more when I should have been cleaning instead
    mEJag.jpg

• Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    wasser, that looks like ruto all dressed up.

JeckalHyde on
  • Options
    Wasser that's fantastic so far. Great color choices as always.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Nice, Wass.

Update on my environment:
    envy2.jpg
    I'm moving forward with the feedback I received yesterday. I also decided to pump up the mountain some, trying to make the city more majestic.

My main question right now: Do you guys think the composition would benefit from either moving the character closer to the camera, or removing the big rock in front of him?

• Options
    Moving the rock couldn't hurt. He's kind of trapped inside it at the moment.

• Options
    That's looking pretty boss, Frank. Agree with Fug about moving the rock. Maybe off to the left edge to create a visual valley so we look at the guy? I dunno.

Sorry to cross-post this from my thread wherein I go batshit insane over one sketch but what the hey.

hunter_library_v900.png

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Squid, I think that looks much more natural than the previous iteration.

Can you guys help me identify the basic shapes at this angle? I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong:

constr.gif

• Options
    Not convinced that circle on the right is lining up, nor am I really convinced that it's useful to have the sphere there in the first place.

If you want to identify the planes, you might try taking a picture with less subtle lighting. Maybe put your face under a desk lamp or something that will cast some deeper shadows.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Well, I'm actually trying to grasp the basic shape of the head at this point, hence the sphere. How would one go about drawing a head from imagination if not with a sphere for the cranium? (genuine question).
    I tried a more dramatic lighting but it didn't change anything in terms of the shape, sadly.
    Basically doing some practice with planes on the simpler positions and the shape in the more difficult ones.

headpractice.jpg

• Options
    I guess it's more that it seems to be confusing where it is, in that it doesn't look like it's lining up with the actual position/shape of the cranium. I'm wondering if you're also running into a problem in trying to draw a bald head from a reference that has hair.

• Options
    Screen%20shot%202012-02-09%20at%202.00.38%20PM.png

"I'm supposed to be doing storyboards, but instead I think I'm gonna just animate a guy trying to get away from a giant robot."

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Run, little guy, run!

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Heartlash wrote:
    Run, little guy, run!

He just wants to love yoooou! (with lazers!)

• Options
    Another update (maybe I should just make a thread)

envy3.jpg

I think it looks better without the rock, the guy was "trapped" in it like Fug said.

• Options
    Maybe you didn't have to get rid of it all together, but perhaps move it or throw something else in the mid-ground, giving the image different points of depth for the viewer's eye to follow.

• Options
    Obilex wrote:

alien5.jpg

Napoleon?
    Why not Zoidberg?

This discussion has been closed.