As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ahhh! Why computer no turn on?!

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Halp! I'm typing this from my phone so I won't type too much but:
- I have a computer that I built in August. I've had 0 problems with it so far. 0! (win7btw)
- Last night before I went to sleep, as I often do, I put my computer to sleep. Normally this would turn off the fans and whatever lights and whatnot on the case, but it didn't. And I couldn't wake it up, which was weird. So I turned it off with the button.
- I try to turn it on this morning, it makes a few computery sounds (no beeps I think...) and basically it's in a state like before with the fans and lights on, but no computering (no lights on KBAM either).

So.... what do I do?
And what the heck could have happened that putting my computer to sleep did that?!

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Check and make sure the switch on your power supply is in the on position and that the computer is plugged in.
    And please make sure your drivers are up to date.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did you try unplugging and plugging it back in? It sounds silly but it's worked for me before. Check both ends, too, the one into the wall and the one in the back of the case.

Just give it a shot. If you're comfortable with it, open the thing up as well and make sure things are properly seated and plugged in.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did you try unplugging and plugging it back in? It sounds silly but it's worked for me before. Check both ends, too, the one into the wall and the one in the back of the case.

Just give it a shot. If you're comfortable with it, open the thing up as well and make sure things are properly seated and plugged in.

Ya, do all of this and get back to us. Can start troubleshooting from there.

skettios on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I did what choco said, and flicked the PSU switch on and off a few times.... what the hell, it turned on...

But for a while when it turned on, after the BIOS screen and stuff it was a black screen with just my mouse on the screen and the blue Windows processing circle alternatively

And then it restored to the state of my computer before I put it to sleep, and was slow for a while after, but now it seems to work...

But I would still like to know what the problem might have been, and if that might indicate anything wrong that I need to take care of. Ideas?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My computer started having issues relating to starting up and shutting down last year. Seemed random and I couldn't figure out what it was. Then the PSU died completely, and I replaced it and everything worked fine.

Raern on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, could be the PSU from what you said. I've also occasionally had something keep my own laptop from going into sleep mode (I suspect it's something specific I have open at the time, but I'm not really sure since it's so rare), and when it fails it sits there "on" but unresponsive instead of sleeping, and I have to do a hard shutdown with it. I don't think there's anything wrong with my machine aside from maybe having a poor reaction to a particular type of sleep mode, so maybe you'll get lucky?

You sure it went into sleep mode, not hibernate? If you unplugged it and it was in ONLY in regular sleep mode (not hibernate or "hybrid" sleep, which is sort of both from what I understand) at the time, I don't THINK it would've restored your session. Hibernate uses a bunch of hard drive space to save your machine's current state, and I believe it even restores it if you've turned off/disconnected the PSU-- it might even power off the machine itself, I forget. In my opinion, hibernating is unreliable, wastes hard drive space, and generally sucks. I only ever use sleep mode on my laptop, turned off hibernate and (since Win7 likes to keep space for hibernating reserved even if it's disabled) found out how to delete the hibernation file. Works just fine for me, since I don't really care if there's a power outage (or, more likely, it runs out of battery while in sleep mode), which I think is the only benefit to hibernation. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

Essee on