As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Little Rock Arkansas?

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Heading down there in a couple of weeks for a week long course. Basically looking for recomendations on places to eat or check out during the evening. Will be staying at the Peabody and likely won't have a car.

camo_sig.png
mts on

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Peabody puts you right near the Riverwalk/bar district. I'd recommend Ernie Bigg's, piano bar downstairs with either live dj upstairs or canned music and a relaxed atmosphere. All of the best restaurants are right nearby too. During the day check out the River Market, tons of great seafood options. Definitely hit up the Flying Fish, across the street from the Market itself. Other great locals include Gusano's pizza and the Flying Burrito.

For non food/alcohol stuff you're also right near the Old State House museum for some local Arkansas history, and of course the Clinton Presidential Library is easily taxiable.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mts wrote: »
    Heading down there in a couple of weeks for a week long course. Basically looking for recomendations on places to eat or check out during the evening. Will be staying at the Peabody and likely won't have a car.

The Peabody is the best place to stay if you're in town for business or whatever and won't have a car. Like most of this part of the country you need a car if you're going to live here, but if you're just in town for a week it won't be an issue.

The Peabody is right downtown against the river, and on that same street, within blocks, there are tons of bars, restaurants, and what have you. There is also a Trolly system that covers downtown little rock and crosses over to downtown north little rock (note: south of the river is little rock, north of the river is technically a separate city, north little rock).

I like Boscos and The Flying Fish, but there are plenty of other good places to eat, even more if you were able to travel out of downtown a bit.

Hit up www.littlerock.com it's great for dining and entertainment, you can select the area you want to limit your search to (downtown) and read descriptions and reviews. They also have a calendar of events with shows and music, etc.

The Clinton Presidential Library is right next to downtown and they have shuttles over to it. It's kind of boring, but right now one of the exhibits is "The Secret of Dr. Suess" which while I haven't been to it yet, sounds pretty interesting to me, it's here until sometime in May.

There are a couple dueling piano bars down by the peabody as well, I prefer Willy D's, I know they have dueling pianos on Fri & Sat, but not sure if they do it during the week at all.

The rivermarket is right next to the peabody and has some great booths inside with difference cultural foods. The fresh produce market that happens twice a week doesn't start until May though, and my favorite breakfast joint in the market closed recently due to not paying sales taxes.

Flying Saucer has a good selection of beers

Best BBQ in town is Whole Hog Cafe, but there isn't one right downtown within walking distance so that may be out.

Let me know when exactly you'll be in town and maybe something cool will be going on. You can also shoot me a PM if you want and we might be able to meet up one night and I can show you around a bit if you like.

LR isn't the most exciting place to be stuck for a week, but it could be worse.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yea, I will be busy most of the day, I haven't seen what the schedule is going to be like but if its anything like a conference I will have evenings free. Planning on bringing my camera and trying to photo some stuff

exact dates are the 17th to the 22 so will likely miss any festive weekend things.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the basics have been covered. I live in Little Rock also, just so you know you have another ready-made "friend" in case of emergency or something.

Edit: Now is a good time of year weather-wise to try to get a table out on the terrace at Brave New Restaurant. It would be a short cab ride from downtown.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello