As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hawken] Open Beta is now live

1171819202123»

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I main the Berseker. I just broke down last night and bout the Air Compressor with MC I had lying around instead of waiting to Pilot Lvl 21 to unlock it.

Wish I had bought it earlier, cause it makes a world of difference. Flying up from behind cover, launching a TOW and then air dodging behind another wall is civilization.

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    I just started to play this game. Is there a PA group I can join up with?

• Options
    No real group, but if you look back at page 18 of this thread starting 2/3 the way down people were posting their in-game names to add as friends.

I'm Evernothing in game, feel free to add me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »
    No real group, but if you look back at page 18 of this thread starting 2/3 the way down people were posting their in-game names to add as friends.

I'm Evernothing in game, feel free to add me.

Thank you. I added a good chunk of people. The game is a ton more fun playing with people who have your back.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Pretty big patch landed the other day.
    aff7e6484d7bcf4132f2a668be151324.jpg

https://community.playhawken.com/news/_/game-info/april-update-patch-notes-r368
    Greetings pilots!

Soon we'll be releasing our April Update for HAWKEN. Aside from adding new camouflages, player emblems and cockpit customizations, we've also made significant economy adjustments. We increased the Meteor Credit cost for a few of our less expensive mechs while reducing the MC cost for all of our items. We adjusted the cost of all of our camouflages as well.

We also adjusted mech, weapon and ability balance in this patch. All changes will be discussed in their respective sections in the patch notes.

Below are the detailed patch notes for our April update. Enjoy!

Special Notices
    Trying to buy emblems in the "Market > Feature" tabs gives a "No Compatible Mechs" error. This is a known issue and we will fix it in an upcoming patch.
    Economy and Pilot/Mech Progression Changes
    We made some significant changes in regards to the time spent leveling up your pilot. The total XP required to reach pilot level 30 has been cut in half. This change will cause many players to be granted pilot level 30 automatically, assuming they have met the new XP requirements.
    Mech progression has also seen about an 8% XP reduction.
    Price adjustments have been made to items, camos and certain mechs.
    Features
    Camouflages
    All camouflages are now global. This means that if you purchase a camouflage, it will be unlocked for use on every mech you own. This also applies to camos you've already purchased.
    Camouflages can now be applied to individual mech parts. This gives the player the ability to make each mech look interesting and unique.
    The prices of all camos have been adjusted. Most camos have had their cost reduced, but a few have had a minor increase.

Developer's Note: We understand that these changes may not be ideal for certain players who have purchased the same camo on multiple mechs. Our intention is not to cheapen your purchase, but to enable our current customization options to be more flexible, fun and attractive to players. If you feel you have been negatively affected by this change, please reach out to ZamboniChaos via private message or email and we'll work with you to sort out your issue.
    Weekly Mech Bundles
    Bundles for each weekly test drive mech are now available. Like a mech that's on test drive? Now you can purchase it fully equipped with items, internals and the alternate primary weapon unlocked.
    Mech Bundles can be purchased two different ways:
    On the Main Menu, on the Market > Deals page
    On the post-match results screen, under "Test Drive" mechs
    Co-Op Team Deathmatch
    Co-Op Team Deathmatch has been added as a new game mode. Team up with 5 other players and battle bots with difficulty that scales to your group’s fitness score. XP and HC earnings are slightly reduced.
    Co-Op TDM is a great mode for practicing new mechs, refining your skills and partying up with your friends to just relax and have fun.
    Currently supported maps for Co-Op TDM include:
    Wreckage
    Facility
    Bunker
    Prosk
    Mechs

Overall, Heavy Mechs are under performing. The ratios of speed and armor were not enough to overcome other disadvantages. In general, all Heavy mechs got a run speed increase and slight armor buff.
    Brawler
    Increased armor from 785 to 800
    Increased run speed from 14.5 to 15 meters/sec
    Increased MC price from 432 to 504
    Reaper
    Berserker
    Decreased armor from 365 to 355

Developer's Note: The Berserker had a bit too much armor for a Light Mech. We wanted to reduce its ability to soak up damage since it already has high damage output.
    Predator
    Decreased boost speed from 32.24 to 30.8 meters/sec
    Increased run speed from 18.5 to 19.5 meters/sec

Developer's Note: The Predator was slightly underpowered. We wanted to give him a bit more mobility while in Stalker Mode to allow him to find prey easier.
    Assault
    Decreased armor from 575 to 565

Developer's Note: We felt the Assault's armor was a little high, so we toned it down slightly.
    Incinerator
    Increased armor from 735 to 750
    Increased run speed from 16.75 to 17.25 meters/sec
    Grenadier
    Increased armor from 725 to 740
    Increased run speed from 16.5 to 17 meters/sec
    Rocketeer
    Increased armor from 710 to 730
    Increased run speed from 15.5 to 16 meters/sec
    Vanguard
    Increased armor from 670 to 685
    Increased run speed from 17 to 17.5 meters/sec
    Weapons
    EOC Predator
    Decreased amount of active mines available from 10 to 8
    Increased mine damage from 50 to 60

Developer's Note: These adjustments allows the Predator to set up traps faster and gives a slight increase in damage output.
    Sub Machine Cannon
    Decreased damage from 12.45 to 12

Developer's Note: We reduced the damage of the SMC slightly in order to bring it more in line with other weapons.
    Corsair-KLA
    Decreased refire rate from 3.75 to 2.75
    Decreased MIRV projectile damage from 21 to 18
    Decreased KLA projectile damage from 132 to 125

Developer's Note: The damage output is still there, but this reduces the burst potential of the Raider in exchange for a faster refire rate.
    Items
    HE Charge
    Decreased MC price of MK-II from 288 to 252
    Decreased MC price of MK-III from 432 to 360
    Hologram
    Repair Charge
    Decreased MC price of MK-I from 432 to 360
    Decreased MC price of MK-II from 576 to 468
    Decreased MC price of MK-III from 720 to 576
    Detonator
    Decreased MC price of MK-I from 288 to 252
    Decreased MC price of MK-II from 432 to 360
    Decreased MC price of MK-III from 576 to 468
    EMP
    MG Turret
    Rocket Turret
    Shield
    Portable Scanner
    Radar Scrambler
    Blockade
    ISM Disruptor
    Heat Charge
    Abilities
    Turret Mode (All)
    You can now exit turret mode in the air. This should fix players getting stuck in turret mode in certain circumstances.
    Mobile Turret(Vanguard)
    Decreased extra damage received from behind from 50% to 20%
    Fortified Turret (Brawler)
    Targeting Turret (Rocketeer)
    Artillery Turret (Grenadier)
    Decreased extra damage received from behind from 30% to 20%

Developer's Note: Turret modes suffer a bit too much with the loss of mobility while in use. The increased damage from behind was also bit too excessive, but we also wanted to keep the element of strategy to flank and attack them from behind.
    Stalker (Predator)
    Increased run speed by 2 meters/sec when ability is active

Developer's Note: Added a slight run speed increase while Stalker is active to give the Predator more mobility while stalking his prey.
    Game Modes
    Co-Op
    Co-Op Bot Destruction matches will no longer affect a pilot's global statistics.
    Customizations
    NEW Cockpit Decorations
    Monkey Bobblehead

Skeleton Bobblehead

NEW Pilot Emblems

NEW Custom Reticles
    Driver X

Dual Boxes

Added blank reticle options
    NEW Camouflages
    Fatigue-Desert

Fatigue-Jungle

GRPL-SWRL

General Improvements
    Added in-game bonus XP notifications for kills and assists. This can be turned off in the options menu.
    When firing your own trace weapons, the tracer FX will play instantly on clients instead of waiting to be triggered by server.
    Server status ticker added to menus and login window.
    Added match length to post-match statistics.
    Added a numerical scale for weapon statistics to the weapon statistic display.
    On the garage/cosmetic screens, healing drones and taunts can be viewed by pressing their respective hotkeys.
    Bugs Fixed
    We implemented a potential fix for players getting stuck in the hangar post-death. Please let us know if you still experience this issue
    Players will no longer join a server as the 7th player on a team with everyone flagged as enemies
    Dying with the Composite Armor internal and respawning with a different mech no longer applies Composite Armor’s bonus
    Fixed a bug where the Charge Beacon consumable wouldn't activate after dying in the middle of reviving another player
    During combat training in VR Training, the player will respawn on death instead of being locked in the staging garage
    Improved spawn collision detection for Co-Op Bot Destruction bosses
    Spamming the ESC key while loading the post-match carousel will no longer cause the post-match UI to disappear
    Fixed a bug with MMR not changing properly if player joined game in progress
    Fixed a mech selection failure with Test Drive mechs in Co-Op Bot Destruction
    Fixed collision issues on a number of maps that were causing Heavy mechs to become stuck while in turret mode
    On Origin, fixed a spot where the floor would pop in and out of view on Low settings
    Fixed a spot on Last Eco where players could get out of the map
    Fixed a small hole on Last Eco where projectiles could be shot through
    Fixed spots on Origin, Uptown and Wreckage that were allowing players to get out of the maps
    Holograms will no longer produce a broken mech part instead of a mech image
    Siege music no longer overlaps end game music
    When switching Light mech arms in the garage, parts will do a blue grid wipe like other mech parts
    Fixed a bug where alt-tabbing on full screen resulted in frame rate drop
    Fixed a bug where pilots still connecting to a server triggered team switching
    Fixed a bug where talking players wouldn’t be kicked for idling
    Matches will now start as intended if there are pilots still connecting
    Fixed a mech launch failure that occurred in Offline Team Deathmatch
    Offline Team Deathmatch no longer shows a 4th mech on the player team with broken parts
    The Bruiser's special ability no longer causes armor regeneration when being shot by enemy AI
    If several pilots connecting fail to join and their spots are cleared, auto balancer now becomes active immediately

Overall, Heavy C Class mechs got a bit of a boost in terms of speed and in general to make them a bit more viable. Some A class mechs got slight nerf such as slightly less armor on the Berserker.
    After playing last night I like the changes so far, and I play Berserker and Scout primarily. Makes its not such an A Class zerg fest.

Got the Vulcan cannon unlocked for my Berserker which is just nuts combined with Air Compressor. Being able to hold down on primary fire allows you to pretty much just paint the target with primary fire and TOW rockets way more accurately than when you have to tap fire to reduce heat with the Assault Rifle for example, at least in my experience. And I love the Assault Rifle!

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Man, I gotta say I initially didn't expect the HC grind to be so arduous. I finally just dropped $80 on MC just for that sale and I gotta say, it's a much better experience when you can just outfit what you want on the mechs you want to pilot. Slug Sharpshooter is a goddamn monster.

Finally picked up a couple of A classes and boy are those fun. Flak scout is super fun, though I have trouble hitting things with the flak cannon. It might be the crosshairs. I'll play around with those some more.

I can't figure out what I want to do with the infiltrator, though. I like the grenade launcher and I'm used to the Assault Rifle from my experience with the C-RT and Assault, but it seems like I'd be better off just piloting a Berserker with that weapon. However, I just don't like the Heat Cannon. It feels weird. Haven't unlocked the EOC thing yet but looking at some guides it looks even weirder than the Heat Cannon.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Ooh, interesting update. So now if I want all my mechs to be pink, I only have to buy it once?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Man, I gotta say I initially didn't expect the HC grind to be so arduous. I finally just dropped $80 on MC just for that sale and I gotta say, it's a much better experience when you can just outfit what you want on the mechs you want to pilot.

Using your MC to give yourself a HC boost is the most efficient use of HC, I believe. It makes the grind not nearly as bad. Also, I try to win at least 1 of TDM, Missile Assault, and Co-op DM every day I play for the Daily Win Bonus (HC). Siege and DM are harder to guarantee a win on, but give higher HC I think.

Yesterday I used a 1 day boost on HC, and previously I have done the 3 day. Very nice if you plan to play a lot over a weekend for example.
    Finally picked up a couple of A classes and boy are those fun. Flak scout is super fun, though I have trouble hitting things with the flak cannon. It might be the crosshairs. I'll play around with those some more.

I can't figure out what I want to do with the infiltrator, though. I like the grenade launcher and I'm used to the Assault Rifle from my experience with the C-RT and Assault, but it seems like I'd be better off just piloting a Berserker with that weapon. However, I just don't like the Heat Cannon. It feels weird. Haven't unlocked the EOC thing yet but looking at some guides it looks even weirder than the Heat Cannon.

With Scout, are you using Mini Flak or the regular Flak?
    • With Mini Flak try not to hold down fire, shoot 1, 2, 3, Tow Rocket, 1, 2, 3 Tow Rocket. Or lead with the TOW then flak, you will chew guys really really fast. I went 13-0 last night on a Facility map on TDM.
    • Regular Flak you need to be much more sure of each shot because of the longer reload, but it can be devestating
    • With the most recent patch there is some consensus that the Mini Flak may be the better option right now of the two

Infiltrator
    • I find the most use for the Infiltrator when people are turtle-ing on the AA in Siege games, or in closed in missile silos on maps like Wreckage in MA games. Being able to flank them with the stealth, and then lob grenades into the tight spots can really confuse them.
    • I don't have a ton of games in this mech, so you might find it more versatile than me so far

Berserker
    • I prefer the Assault Rifle to the SMC because it give great range where you can pick at guys when you are closing in, or get those last couple taps for an assist. Best is to fire it in short bursts at any kind of range, and if you are right in CQC you can pretty much full-auto it like you would the SMC. Definitely the Zerker's most well balanced primary.
    • The Vulcan cannon can shred guys in short mid-range to CQC combat, but since it stops spinning immediately after you release the trigger, it relies on you going non-stop with the full-auto, and if the enemy dives behind a piece of cover even for a second it can cost you the fight. A fun gun, but not as versatile as the AR. I definitely recommend you have an Air Compressor if you use this gun.

Due to the recent patch lowering some A-class armour, and boosting some C-class mechs, the A-class are less all out murder machines and fit more into their intended roles as peek-a-boo burst damage, and flanking confusion/disruption. Don't expect to be the top scorer with something like the Infiltrator, but you can certainly turn the tide for your team in any of the mechs I just discussed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Last night I had the pleasure of playing in a TDM match against Xacius, the top ranked Hawken player in the world. He absolutely destroyed us, although I got one Revenge kill on him!

His twitch stream if anyone is interested: twitch.tv/mrxacius

Excision on
    steam_sig.png