As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4e DnD] (OOC) Temple of Elemental Evil

1222324252628»

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    Yup, I'll go back and edit that...just got crossed up

• Options
    3seed3seed Registered User regular
    I really hate to do this, but I think I'm going to need to pull out of the game. Between various commitments, I have about 2-3 hours of free time a day, and I need to prioritize family for that chunk of time. The game is a lot of fun, and I appreciate the story and characters. I'm sorry that I don't get to participate in what happens next, but I'll keep up with developments as best I can.

My only request is that you don't have Faergus eaten by an ogre. I've grown somewhat fond of the lizard...

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Sorry to see you go, but it's understandable.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Sorry to see you go 3seed. I understand completely.

We'll write Faergus out of the story once you guys get back to Hommlet, and he won't get eaten :D

So we have a Leader, Striker, Striker, and Controller. Likely going to need a defender, but I'll leave it up to the group. Should I open up recruiting to see if we can grab a Defender?

I will say that there are several NPC's in Hommlet that can be recruited.

• Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    My sub defenderness is not great.

3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    We might as well see if anyone else is interested, sure.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I'm down for a defender.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Sounds good. I'll drum up the associated post and open it up here tonight and see who's lurking out there that wants to defend you guys :D

In the interim we'll move right along, and I'll have that update out tonight also.

• Options
    Hey guys. Know I said I'd have something up tonight, but I'm wiped out after helping my mom move the last two days, so I'll work something up tomorrow and post it for sure. Sorry for the delay.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Recruiting - The Temple of Elemental Evil: A DnD 4th Edition Campaign

Hey everyone out there, looking for a Defender to take the place of our Dragonborn Paladin that was forced to step away for RL reasons. Hope there's some interest in joining our game out there!

Will have recruiting open for a week or so and the group will vote on which application they would like to absorb into the party; then we'll write in the character at the first opportunity.

About the Game:
    This is the original T1-4 modules, adapted for 4th Edition. We're running at 2nd level right now, having just about wrapped up the initial module.

IC thread is here: [4E D&D] (IC) Temple of Elemental Evil

A map of Greyhawk can be found here: Map

Character Creation Information

Character Info:
    • 22 point buy (Current PC's have stat bonuses that are part of their backgrounds, but for initial design it's 22 point buy)
    • Any race/class combination from supplement books is allowed
    • No background options (backgrounds are specific to the story, and will be handed out to character that is selected)
    • Go ahead and pick a theme. If it's a Dark Sun theme we'll have to take a look and make sure it adapts correctly.
    • Pantheon is from the Player's Handbook
    • Alignment: Unaligned or Good
    • For starting gear, choose whatever mundane equipment you want, and then one 3rd level magic item and one 1st level magic item (or one 2nd and one 1st level). I know that's a little short, but we're running a little light on magic.
    • Please submit a link to the sheet and a few paragraphs of back story on the character concept for the other members of the group to review

Info On Races
    Tieflings and Shardminds/Psionics
    Warforged
    Eladrin
    Dragonborn

Information on the World in General
    History of the Temple
    Important Characters

Illianthar on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Posting interest in this.

By the way Illianthar, I'm currently reading the IC thread for this game, and since your almost done with the current module of the campaign, will any knowledge of the IC thread be required for any applicants?

Edit: here's my submission. A little bit rough in terms of background, so I'll modify it more if the DM allows it.

Presenting: Merric the Farsighted, Halfling Battlemind and Agent of the Scarlet Brotherhood

"Who am I? Why, don’t mind me dear fellow. Think of me as nothing more than the wind: gentle and quiet when calm, and a squall when angered. Still, which do you prefer?"

Picture:
    PC-Lem.jpg

Appearance:
    Merric is quite tall... for a Halfling. Standing at an impressive height of... 4 feet, many would think twice that this small humanoid to be a ferocious and brutal warrior. Indeed, for Merric is an odd, living amalgamation of contrasting emotions that most people would go mad when faced with such a fate. Outside of battle, Merric is calm and collective, acting as a simple and gentle voice of reason for any group he finds himself in. In battle though, he is a completely different person. He becomes an arrogant, haughty and fierce fighter, bringing down fury upon his foes with merely a thought… and enjoying every vicious swipe at his foes. Merric has been brought up to know that a mind is far more superior a weapon than a mere blade (though he does admit that the blade is at least a means to an end, since even he himself can’t defeat his opponents with a mere thought as his masters at the Brotherhood can do).

Merric has thick, ginger hair, dark-brown eyes, and is quite lithe. Though not physically imposing, he is nonetheless remarkably hardy and diligent for a man of his size, being able to withstand the brunt of any attack, whether it is physical or not. Merric is quite civil, quiet and diplomatic to others, and even enjoys a humorous joke or two. It’s only in battle that he suddenly changes. His emotions run wild, often ranging from brashness to even outright cruelty, often insulting or belittling foes. Many groups who had Merric with them would attest that they were glad he was on their side.

As an outside agent to the Brotherhood, Merric knows very little of the shady and unethical activities they conduct back in their homeland. However, he naively believes the blind obedience and authority they embody to be the way any lawful organization in the world SHOULD follow.

Profile:
    Having been born and raised in the seedier side of Verbobonc, Merric had a miserable childhood experience. Merric lived a life of carelessness and survival, living only what he could scrounge and steal from the citizens and unfortunate beggars of the cities alleyways. Such was his fate in life that his own career as a thief might have ended in tragedy had he not one day decided to pickpocket a man clad in scarlet robes. Merric’s own skills as a thief was quite terrible, so it came as no surprise that the man caught him by his arm when the Halfling tried to steal the man’s pouch of gold. Merric thought it would have been the end of him that day. But fate of course, had other plans for the would-be thief, for you see… the man was an agent of the Scarlet Brotherhood, and a recruiter to boot. The man, being a psychic himself, sensed he psionic potential of this thief, and decided to take him under his wing instead. The man offered the Halfling training, a home, food, and most importantly, a meaning out of this hellhole of an existence. In exchange, all he had to do was offer his his life and freedom. Even Merric wasn’t as foolish as to decline such an offer, to be a servant than a dying beggar.

Since that day, Merric has been mercilessly trained under the man’s watch, honing his skills and mind. Mockingly referred to as 'farsighted' by his peers for his shortsighted fighting style, Merric has nonetheless proudly taken the insult as his title, hoping to spite the others. His master, however, was suitably impressed at Merric’s strength in battle, for though the Halfling was weak in strength, he made up for it in endurance and determination. Merric could shrug off any assault that came his way, whether it was physical or otherwise. In addition, Merric has been trained thoroughly in the arts of negotiation and etiquette, ensuring that Merric would pass as a mere scholar under any commoners’ scrutiny than an Agent of the Scarlet Brotherhood. Given enough free will to think for himself (and having an amazing grasp of battle), the man was confident that raising and grooming this mere halfling into one of his most skilled Agents for the Brotherhood would pay off. Merric in turn, was grateful for all of this, believing that this new life was far superior than the one he was living in back at Verbobonc. Of course, being the reckless person that he still was deep inside, a part of him longed to set out and apply all that he had learned under his master's tutelage.

That all changed a few weeks ago…

A few weeks ago, Merric’s master has received word on strange disturbances in his area, most notably near the town of Hommlet. He has tasked a number of agents (including Merric, whom the master believes might succeed in this task) to investigate Hommlet, as well as the surrounding areas. As of the moment, only Merric has arrived at the village first, ahead of the others. Little does he know that his master is merely using the disturbance as a front, secretly testing the waters of the budding slave ring that exists in Flaeness before deciding on setting up partnerships with the local crime lords and slave traffickers, hoping to win some recognition within the Brotherhood.

Additional Notes:
    - I’ve taken the Harper Agent from the Neverwinter Night Campaign Setting for my Theme, though I’ve reflavored it to be more like a Scarlet Brotherhood Agent than Harper. As such, the Pin is actually depicted as a crimson shield with a black four pointed star (though only the most knowledgeable or well travelled would easily identify it as that of the Brotherhood’s).

Though the Order itself is considered Lawful Evil, the Agents themselves tend to be mostly Unaligned and rarely good (since even outside Agents don’t know the true nature of the Brotherhood, what with all the exploration and reconnaissance they do in the world of Grey Hawk)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    I don't think IC knowledge is necessary. This will actually be the perfect jumping on point for a new character, since the party will be taking on a new challenge once they finish up in the Moathouse.

• Options
    imafrogimafrog Registered User regular
    I would like to throw my helmet in.

At work, but I will have a build out today. Currently thinking a Warden or a Paladin.

And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite.
  • Options
    imafrogimafrog Registered User regular
    Nvm, looks like I won't have the time to commit to this. Have fun guys!

And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm definitely interested. I'll work something up in the next day.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Hmm I have a few ideas, do you mind if I toss several in? I don't want to seem like I'm smothering the competition or anything, just offering options as they all sound equally interesting to me.

• Options
    Let's try and keep it to 1 or 2 concepts for submissions per person, since we're only going after a Defender and there are only so many builds out there.

• Options
    Totally fair, I'll drop the battlemind option since Tiamat already posted one of those and just post the fighter and warden then. :)

• Options
    Since backgrounds are being "given" to these characters I don't want to write too much story for them (and admittedly I don't know a lot about Greyhawk or TOEE to draw from either), but here's what I've got.

Gaia, Goliath Warden
    War. The image that the earthmother seared into my dreams was clear. The demons were on the move, and they intended to rise up when the time was right, razing all in their path. The earthmother called on me in my dreams to put an end to it. I, Gaia of the Corusk Mountains, with the blessing of the earthmother Haramathur, will protect those who value and respect life, and will cleanse this place of the evils which threaten to snuff it out.

Gaia is a towering (but slender, for a Goliath) figure, with slate grey skin and flowing black hair. She has a gentle demeanor, but is emotionally unmovable; closest approximation I can think of would be Teal'c from Stargate SG-1. She carries a polearm with a thick haft that she is quite adept at using to parry blows. The layered hides that she armors herself with are crafted with care, and it seems clear somehow that they were assembled with a deep respect for the creatures which gave their lives to assemble the piece.

Pretty straightforward Warden setup, mechanically speaking; designed to be able to take a beating and make it damned hard for enemies to get where they want to go once she engages.

Graz, Longtooth Shifter Fighter
    Heheheheh I hear there's trouble brewing in these parts. Trouble means fun for me. And maybe I can make an even bigger name for myself here than I did back in Dyvers...hehehehehe-okok breathe Graz, breathe. Remember your training...find center. Keep calm. Strength in tranquility.

Graz is a jittery sort of fellow, with disheveled hair/fur and eyes that always look a little bit crazed. He's socially adjusted, partially thanks to his time spent in one of the northern monasteries, but is easily agitated and...well, he wasn't called the "Dervish of Dyvers" for nothing. Made a big name for himself as the champion of the mercenary arena over that way a while back.

I wanted to go a different route than the standard sword/board or giant axe battlerager fighter; mechanically, the idea here is that he's quite adept at multi-marking, in part thanks to the monk training, and his mark punishment hurts like a sonofabitch. He's less of a block of HP than many defenders but if DM is amicable to a single item request in the coming levels then I feel I can significantly mitigate the issue via an Iron Body Ki Focus. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't get the item though.

• Options
    Thank you for the submissions @Nullzone. We'll leave it open for a few more days then put the submissions up to the group and work in the new player.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Where do drow fit in?

Nevermind, going with a half-orc hybrid instead.

Grog on
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Mrai Kafbur, Paladin/Warden of the Kar-Jel

slv4n.jpg

Background:
    Nestled between the Barrens and the Icy Sea, the Kar-Jel tribe of orcs ekes out an existence behind high walls of wood and stone. Having been freed from underneath Iuz' heel by a human paladin, the tribe follows the man's teachings of common sense and justice- albeit from an orcish perspective. Despite frequent misinterpretations they follow the teachings of 'Sain Kafbur' with religious zeal, punishing evil and promoting order within their small community.

As a granddaughter of Sain, it has fallen to Mrai to spread his word beyond the walls of her home. Her travels have lead her from one den of villainy to the next, while her teachings have often left people with a sense of deja vu.

Appearance & Personality:
    For a second generation half-orc, Mrai's features are deceptively human. This is offset by her massive frame and yellowish skin which, combined with her bulky garb of wolf and bear skins, give away her orcish heritage. The only hint of civility is the tarnished shield she carries, an heirloom that carries the mark of Sain himself.

Contrary to such first impressions, the young paladin is as disarmingly earnest in her dealings with strangers as she is naive to their customs. Unable to lie, she has nevertheless avoided being taken advantage of thanks to her teachings of common sense ("Hit them hard enough, they won't hit back") and an inborn wariness of those that talk faster than her.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    For Your Consideration:

Heir.jpg

Gorstag Granitebottom

Background:
    Gorstag Granitebottom hails from the Kron Hills, from the Granitebottom Clan holdfast. As a wee dwarf, Gorstag grew up as the fourth son of the brother to the King of a small clan that mined iron and copper and lived out thier lives. All of which meant that Gorstag grew up swinging a pickaxe like every other dwarf in the clan. Gorstag is a dwarf like many others, he loves a good drink and a good fight. He covets riches and feels comfortable with the Earth. He is dour and stubborn and gives great stink face. He throws himself into situations with his head down and his axe up high.

Eventually he found his calling when a raiding party of Orcs set upon his village. Gorstag picked up the waraxe of a fallen cousin twice removed and charged into the fray. Hewing this way and that, killing as he went. Gorstag accepted hit after hit as well, taking the punishment and seeming to thrive on it. His eagerness to engage in battle overrode any pain. The feeling was amazing! Gorstag was born Battlerager! The rush of battle drives him now. Clan life seemed pale in comparison and Gorstag said his goodbyes to his clan and set out to see the world and live the adventuring life

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Alright! 5 submissions for a Defender so far :)

I'll leave it open until midnight PDT (GMT -7) tomorrow (Wednesday, June 20th), then we'll have the current party members cast their votes.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Malvan Sunsworn- Paladin of Pelor

Background:
    Malvan has served in Pelor's light since he was but twelve years old. When a fever took both parents one winter, he was sent to live and work at a local temple of Pelor. A decade of true faith and service has finally paid off and he has been given the opportunity to elevate to the ranks of the Sunsworn Knights.

Appearance and Personality:
    Malvan is prone to recklessness. He wants so badly to prove himself worthy that he sometimes overextends and gets himself in a bind. The death of his parents convinced him to focus his studies on the healing arts. This gives him a compassionate core beneath the reckless exterior.

He stands just over six foot tall, is broad shouldered and keeps his blonde hair cropped close. While no one would call him handsome, there is a strength of personality that comes through all the same.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Alright, most of a day late but…

Recruiting is over!

Thank you to everyone that submitted a character! It's nice to see some love for Defenders is still out there!

Here's the final list of submissions:

Paladin:
    Malvan Sunsworn - Paladin of Pelor (Nealneal)

Fighter:
    Gorstag Granitebottom (Steelhawk)
    Graz, Longtooth Shifter Fighter (Nullzone)

BattleMind:
    Merric the Farsighted, Halfling Battlemind and Agent of the Scarlet Brotherhood (Tiamatz)

Warden:
    Gaia, Goliath Warden (Nullzone)

Hybrid:
    Mrai Kafbur, Paladin/Warden of the Kar-Jel (Grog)

The current list of players will make the final decision. In the case of a tie I'll cast the deciding vote. Please PM me your vote @Litejedi, @Reynolds, @Alfonse_Palanso, and @Lord Palington

• Options
    Sorry for the delay folks...still waiting on a vote or two. Going to circle back and see what's going on. Thank you everyone for your patience.

For those in the party we can move along in the IC thread also while we're figuring out who the Defender is going to be in here.

• Options
    Well, that was quite the extended delay on my part. I apologize to everyone, especially to those that were waiting around to see who got picked as the defender.

After the votes were tallied we had a two-way tie, so it was up to me to throw in the deciding vote. I'd like to thank everyone again for posting their submissions. It was great to get so many people in such a short time for a Defender.

Without further ado, the chosen submission is:

Merric the Farsighted, Halfling Battlemind and Agent of the Scarlet Brotherhood (Tiamatz)

Congratulations TiamatZ. I shot you a PM to discuss some of the finer details and we'll work you in as quickly as possible.

IC post should also be coming up here soon. Thanks again to everyone for your patience.

• Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    Thanks for having me aboard, Illianthar.

Looking forward to stabbing uncontrollably having tea with some dudes (whom I will ultimately stab to death.... with my MIND!).

• Options
    Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User regular
    Maybe we should create some sort of organization to help with the displacement of evil NPCs turned good. Someone would end up picking fights while they are going back to homes, or trying to find work(End up with discrimination) since there's no EOE for monsters.

• Options
    Should call the orginazation DORM: Department of Relocating Monsters.

• Options
    Hey everyone, I know we've been a little scattered the past few weeks...and most of that is my fault. To add to that, I'm going to be out of town this week attending a family funeral. I have my laptop, but I don't really know yet what kind of time or frame of mind I'll have...so let's just go ahead and say that we'll pick it back up this coming weekend and at that point I'll be much more available and ready to go.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    It's all good. I've got jury duty at least tomorrow, maybe longer, so that might not be a bad idea.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    it's been a month since anyone's posted here...

• Options
    I figured Illianthar was just busy. We'll get back to it eventually.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been dealing with a ton of stuff lately. I've been checking back, but I don't mind this little lull. I'm ready to go when everyone else is, but I don't mind waiting a little while longer, either.

SrUxdlb.jpg