As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ordering an Internet package - Help with Mumbo Jumbo

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I live on the east coast, and I'm looking at this ISP: http://productsandservice.bellaliant.net/PS/en/shop/internet/highspeed.jsp?prov=ns

for internet only, no bundle. I like playing my 360 online, streaming tv shows and downloading albums and movies from iTunes and other legal download sources. Also, long walks on the beach.

I don't know what I realistically need to do these things. The online gaming is the only one I'm really worried about, I like playing sports games and don't want to be lag-y. Maybe you guys can help me by recommending what package you'd go with.

Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can, get the 7mb version. 1.5 is probably going to have problems if you're doing more than 1 of those things at a time.

I'm guessing it's DSL, and since they're both listed as the same starting price, I suspect it may just depend on how far from the hub you are. If you're fairly close to one they'll sell it to you as the "7mb" package, but if you're farther away they'll sell it to you as the "1.5mb" package.

Daenris on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you're not considering Bell-Aliant's 15Mbps connection, you may want to check out DSL resellers in your area. I'm with TekSavvy and have been quite pleased with their prices (particularly how much bandwidth you get, and what they charge for it) and service. Bell's introductory prices are lower, but once you're outside the introductory window it nearly doubles, and you have to watch out for their contracts. Depending on how long you're going to be there, a reseller might save you a bunch in the long run, especially if you're not getting bundle savings.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ended up going with the 7MBPS one, and just went with month to month at 50 bucks a month. It's actually cheaper in the long run than signing a 1 year contract, and I bundled my cell phone with it to save 5 bucks on my bill.

Is 50 bucks a month for internet a good deal? It's hard to tell, everyone is offering something slightly different.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm paying $35 for a 3Mbps connection - that's before fees, etc. - it's UVerse, so pretty much DSL.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok, cool. The 50 is everything in except taxes, so around 57 or so total.

It'd be nice if these sites told you what you could reasonably expect to get MBPS wise, and explain it a little better rather than just being like MORE IS BETTER.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, moar is better! :)

If they actually provided that info, it might be implied you could expect to receive those speeds more than 1hr out of a month. Really though, anything 3 and above should be fine to support two activities at a time.

Here's a chart by AT&T - note I should be unable to email or watch videos.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    50 dollars is... ok for that. But yeah as someone else said, you might have wanted to look into resellers in your area. Bell has shitty caps (60 gigs/month), and a lot of resellers offer more bandwidth per month for about the same price.

That said, 7mbps will be more than enough for what you want to do, and with DSL you'll have a relatively stable connection, and see near those speeds fairly often since you dont have to worry as much about congestion, as youve got a dedicated line back to the switch. Ping times will be about 40ms on average with Bell, which is more than decent.

*edit*

MichaelLC wrote: »
    Well, moar is better! :)

If they actually provided that info, it might be implied you could expect to receive those speeds more than 1hr out of a month. Really though, anything 3 and above should be fine to support two activities at a time.

Here's a chart by AT&T - note I should be unable to email or watch videos.

That chart is the most misleading piece of bullshit ive ever seen in my life. I had 5mbps DSL up until mid last year, and i could do any of those things. An 18mbps connection to do streaming video? I dont think theres anywhere out there that streams at anymore than about 4mbps, even for HD.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's great, isn't it?

I'm surprised they didn't just go all the way and put everything in the top tier.

"Want to read some text?" "That'll be our FUCKIN EXTREEEMEEEE Package!!!"

MichaelLC on