As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

KambingKambing Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
hydra.jpg

(Artwork provided by forum member Wakkawa. Visit his site and buy some amazing work at inexpensive prices. Commissions available!)

The Starcraft II discussion thread
(Channel PA on NA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVmbUbVfBXA

The SC2 thread proudly presents!

1. Weekly Forum Challenge #4

(Organizer: MNC Dover)
-What the hell is the Weekly Forum Challenge (WFC)?

The WFC is a new idea I came up with that will pit one forum member against everyone else in the forum. Basically, you apply to be in the WFC and when your name is called, you take on everyone else in the forum.

-Huh? Why would I want to do that?

Because it's fun, keeps the forum more interactive, and allows you to improve your game by playing a lot of different playstyles.

-OK, who do I play against?

Everyone. It doesn't matter if your Bronze or Master, these games are no ranks barred. Yeah, if you're a Bronze level player you'll probably get splattered, but you will be learning something and have a set of replays from which to study. You could use this opportunity to practice a single build and see how it fares against several other types of builds. Either way, it will be a good learning experience and fun!

-Sounds interesting....what are the rules?

If your name is called, you will take all invites from Sunday to Saturday that week. Opponents can challenge you via forum posts, PM's, or on B.Net. You must try your best to take on every challenge, so be prepared to spend a few hours on b.net during your week.

-I'm only a Bronze leaguer. I'll get squashed so I don't want to enter.

Hold on there a minute, I'm not done yet. Any WFC entrant can request a live-coach regardless of their rank. Yes, any rank. The coach may only give advice during play in ally chat to you and you cannot ask questions. The coach also cannot tell you what the enemy is doing or steer your build to screw over the enemy. Only tips like, watching your supply counts, build more structures, drone up, scout, expo, spend money, etc. The coach can be anyone the WFC wants and can change from game to game. You can talk with your coach before and after games to discuss strats, build orders, and the like.

-Awesome! I think I want to participate. How do I enter?

PM a message to me with "WFC" as the title and the following information:

-Forum name
-B.Net ID with 3 digit code
-Race played (please only use one to reduce headaches)
-Rank
-Do you want a coach?
-Timezone (easy conversions for us lazy Americans please)
-At least three different weeks you want to apply for with your most favorable choice first (example: 03/20-03/26, 03/27- 04/05, and 04/13-04/19)
-Your choice of how you want to play matches, either bo1 or bo3

-Great, I sent out the information and got accepted. Now what?

Now you have to openly accept challenges from the forum. Post the time or times you will make yourself available for matches. Other people can set-up appointments for matches or play however you choose. If you only want to accept appointments great, if not, you can do a first come, first pwned set-up.

-What maps do we play on?

For bo1's, the WFC player gets to choose the map. Sorry folks, that's the advantage of manning up and taking on all comers. For bo3's, the first game is on Shakura's Plateau with the loser choosing the next map from the official Blizzard Ladder pool. Yes this means the maps may change over time. We'll manage.

-What happens when my week is over?

You gather up all your replays, name them "WFC vs (insert enemy name), add them to gamereplays.org (info found in the OP), and then post EVERY SINGLE GAME into a single spoilered post. The thread creator will add your games into the OP and they'll stay there until the next person's turn is over.

-When does all this begin?

How does this Sunday sound? I'm taking applications now!

-I had an emergency mid-week! What do I do?

No biggie, we all understand that real life stuff happens. Let everyone know and I'll do my best to find someone to fill in the spot. No problem at all.

-Anything else?

Glad you asked. I really think this can be fun, especially if we have some of our more charismatic people bring some light-hearted, jaw-jacking to the table. I'd also really like it if some of the lower ranked players step up and give this a go. In reality, it's no different then playing against PA people anyway, but now it will have more of a focus. You can have a target on your back which might change the way you play by adding or removing pressure.

ABOVE ALL, I just want everyone to have fun and play more SC2. :D

So, who's in?

Our third WFC player will be Nazacra! Here's his info:

Forum name: Capfalcon
B.Net ID with 3 digit code: Laharal.765
Race played: Terran
Do you want a coach?: Er, yes please.
Timezone: Central Time.
bo1 format

Challenge Capfalcon sending him a PM, post, or b.net message to set up times!

2. PA showmatch series #1

(Organizer: Enigma435)
When you step on this deck, you be ready to fight, or you dishonor the reason why we're here. Now remember this: When you fight a man, he's not your friend.

Watch PAers engage in friendly (most of the time) combat for your entertainment!

3. Replay(s) of the day! (4/11)

(Organizer: whoever created this thread)

A random replay of the play donated by our forum-goers. Make sure to upload your replay submissions to submit your replay using gamereplays.org. And be a pal and mark your replay as ROTD material in your post so they're easier to find.

repimg-33-202502.jpg

repimg-33-202501.jpg

repimg-33-202503.jpg

(Vari shows how scrappy he is in three close games.)

Start here to better craft some stars.
The SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff (usually brought to you by the letter S and the number 86). In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:
  • General
    • Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.
    • Wellplayed.org. Starcraft 2 aggregation site from the SCReddit group.
  • Talk shows
    • State of the Game podcast. The pillars of the starcraft 2 community --- JP, EGIncontrol, Liquid`Tyler, and Day[9] --- talk (mostly) about current events in the starcraft community every Tuesday.
  • Educational

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastetosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
Kambing on

• SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Andddd Kambing ninjas the thread.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's a shame how many good games we're missing right now.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, in how long are we getting more games?

I mean, I could find somewhere to convert amurricah time to EU, but that qould require work. So I'd rather just ask you dudes.

Frozenzen on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haha nice Zerg Rush Kambling.

Edit: What race was TLO playing against Idra?

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
    edited April 2011
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    So, in how long are we getting more games?

I mean, I could find somewhere to convert amurricah time to EU, but that qould require work. So I'd rather just ask you dudes.

I think in about 7 minutes.

kedinik on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haha nice Zerg Rush Kambling.

Edit: What race was TLO playing against Idra?

TLO is terran this tourney

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    nice steal

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't believe we didn't get to see the TLO vs Idra game.

BertezBertez on
    ...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dannnnggg

You know I should probably ladder one of these years :3

Kami on
    edited April 2011
    Will tweet updates, this is literally david vs goliath Inc is 3x TLOs size

hahaha

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    edited April 2011
    Will tweet updates, this is literally david vs goliath Inc is 3x TLOs size

hahaha

Heh.

kedinik on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so are they going to show idra vs tlo or not

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lol BigT messaged inc and he closed it without even looking

Bahahahahaha

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    edited April 2011
    musanman wrote: »
    so are they going to show idra vs tlo or not

already over, tlo won 2-0

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    lol, forfeit because of lag? What.

Wow, so disappointing...

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "In game 1, Idra tried to counter and left the game the instant TLOs first Thor came out."

"In game two, TLO did a proxy rax + bunker rush, there was some lag and the game was paused, and Idra immediately forfeit the game."

-Day9

fadingathedges on
    edited April 2011
    So IdrA gave up when a single thor popped in game 1 and then opted out of the tournament when game 2 lagged?

Heart of a champion in that kid.

kedinik on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Whooooooah, Giovanni with the fucking 2nd button unbuttoned on a dress shirt? This isn't a titty bar.

JAEF on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    IdrA was going to lose the game anyway, so he forfeited.

Sundance now giving a serious apology. Dude looks harried and exhausted. Poor man.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    so iNcontrol vs TLO is in progress right now

and yet here we are watching ______.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, his name *is* Italian. ...and his first name is Sundance.

I'm just surprised that it's not buttoned down further with a little gold chain action.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, I thought after beating Huk that IdrA would get his shit together and play a good tournament. Instead, he does that. Worst attitude in gaming. Just shameful.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait what is Idra already out of the tournament?

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JAEF on
    edited April 2011
    Wait what is Idra already out of the tournament?

TLO knocked him out in the span of, like, 12 minutes.

kedinik on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man Naniwa v SeleCT.

This is going to be so rad.

Dignitas players are so goddamn good.

3cl1ps3 on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God can we just watch a stupid game.

YodaTuna on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Evangir wrote: »
    Damn, I thought after beating Huk that IdrA would get his shit together and play a good tournament. Instead, he does that. Worst attitude in gaming. Just shameful.
    Pretty much.

MikeMan on
    edited April 2011
    IdrA was pretty clearly losing both games, it sounds like. Like, drones and army all dead. There's no reason to play that out.

TLO did a rush in both games, and rushes have always been IdrA's weak point.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So we are hearing them chit chat instead of watching games why?

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Day and Wheat are dropping Truth about USB connections.

Solid, bright lime truth.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited April 2011
    TLO wins game 1 series at 2-1 Inc in lead, next map metalopolis

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    edited April 2011
    DON'T WORRY THAT'S HALO

Oh man. Nostalgia.

3cl1ps3 on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HAHA, Day9s baneling bust gentleman voice just made me spill my coffee.

and I'm not drinking coffee!

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    another thread where i wont win replay of the day

conspiracy is an understatement

I hate you all

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So boring they should just cast from replays like TSL. It seems like I have been watching Naniwa trying to get his mouse setting right for 3 hours today.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • TelexTelex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kedinik wrote:
    So IdrA gave up when a single thor popped in game 1 and then opted out of the tournament when game 2 lagged?

Heart of a champion in that kid.
    Game 2 Idra forfeited because before the lag hit TLO had clearly already won. Seems to be the gentlemanly think to do, but since it's Idra it must mean he's just a whiny quitter

Telex on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    love how djwheat is hyping this

no drama, just the best

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2011
    Naniwa going nexus first.

Hm.

3cl1ps3 on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this is incredible

that's the best sentence I have ever read

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch