As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to move my stuff

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey,

I'm moving from Alabama to DC this fall (late August), and I'm trying to figure out the smartest way to move my stuff. So far, I've looked at shipping (expensive), flying (restrictive), and Uhaul-ing (surprisingly expensive). I don't have my own car, and if I don't end up being able to borrow one for the trip, what are some of my least expensive options?

Toldo on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We used a UPack cube when we moved from Boston to Atlanta. I can't remember the total cost but it was less than Pods by a lot. You can hire movers to pack and unpack it or do it yourself.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Big fan of the PODS/PackRat/presumably UPack cubes mentioned above. It also gives you a chunk of time to pack on your own time rather than forcing you to do it in 4 hours.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    UHaul is surprisingly expensive for interstate moves, but their competitors aren't. I moved 900 miles in a bigger truck (compared to UHaul) for $1100 -- the comparable UHaul rate was $1500 (and the truck was smaller). I used Penske. Some other friends of mine rented a Penske too because it was a lot cheaper than UHaul for one-ways. UHaul really focuses on the same-location moves.

But yeah, the POD-style things are a good option -- the advantage of renting a Penske is that you can transport yourself there.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the real big question is how much stuff you need moved

if you're talking beds and furniture, a big truck will be needed. If it's a bunch of boxes, you may be able to rent a pick-up truck or something from somewhere like Enterprise

Xaquin on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It'll be helpful if you can further define your "stuff." Are you solo? An apartment dweller with a meager assortment of IKEA furniture and knickknacks or a high tower condo man with sleek black objects purported to be the finest in tablery?

What I'm saying is, what do you NEED to ship. What do you WANT to ship?

When I've moved in the last 15 years, it's been long haul, so we garage saled our life and packed the rest in boxes, which went delayed UPS ground to our destination. The rest got jammed into the back of our car(s).

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also found Budget trucks to be significantly less expensive then Uhaul.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, UHaul is generally crap equipment, crap customer service, and crap prices.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are you moving for a job? I know my company either gives an allowance or reimburses some of the moving costs a person has if it's for a job. If that's the case you may want to check into that.

Also, are your big items like beds, tables, etc. worth moving? Depending on the age and the various wear and tear it may be better to sell it and start fresh. I've moved plenty of times in my life and it sucks when you get to a new place and realize your stuff is not going to fit comfortably.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We used a UPack cube when we moved from Boston to Atlanta. I can't remember the total cost but it was less than Pods by a lot. You can hire movers to pack and unpack it or do it yourself.

I moved my entire worldly goods from Connecticut to Washington state in two UPack cubes for just under $2500, I cannot recommend them highly enough both based on price and the amazing customer service I got during what was a pretty stressful time.

Also the UPack cubes are really nice and easy to find space to land them as they're a lot smaller than the long-distance move sized PODS. Also less than half the price of PODS.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    All of these guys are in direct competition with each other. So a couple extra phone calls and a, "Hey, PackRats is offering me a similar size for three hundred less" could net you a discount.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I probably should have been a little more specific. I'm currently an undergrad moving to the DC area to attend an MA program. I've been living in the dorms, so I don't have any furniture of my own. The 'stuff' I'd be moving basically boils down to lots of clothes and... well, 'stuff'--books, a TV, various gizmos, etc.

Toldo on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If that's the case I would rent a pick up truck or a large SUV and drive.

Edit: Do you have any friends or family in your area that maybe willing to help out? Make it a road trip and cover gas/food expenses. Going from Alabama to DC doesn't sound too long, so I don't think it would inconvience anyone too much.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thee only problem with a storage cube/pod thing is that they need to find a place to drop it at your location. Parking lots, drive ways, these can generally work. Street parking only? Not sure they can do it.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Toldo wrote: »
    I probably should have been a little more specific. I'm currently an undergrad moving to the DC area to attend an MA program. I've been living in the dorms, so I don't have any furniture of my own. The 'stuff' I'd be moving basically boils down to lots of clothes and... well, 'stuff'--books, a TV, various gizmos, etc.

Hell, you've got it easy. Either pack it all up and UPS it (if you have an address already or somewhere local you can leave it to be picked up by UPS) or rent an SUV when you make the trip from any basic agency and jam it all in there. Unless you're some kind of epic clotheshorse and your TV is an IMAX, you should be able to do this very cheaply.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Thee only problem with a storage cube/pod thing is that they need to find a place to drop it at your location. Parking lots, drive ways, these can generally work. Street parking only? Not sure they can do it.

Sure they can, you just get a permit from the city.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Toldo wrote: »

Hell, you've got it easy. Either pack it all up and UPS it (if you have an address already or somewhere local you can leave it to be picked up by UPS) or rent an SUV when you make the trip from any basic agency and jam it all in there. Unless you're some kind of epic clotheshorse and your TV is an IMAX, you should be able to do this very cheaply.

This. If you don't own a car and aren't driving, trim down to a few boxes and UPS it all to yourself, minus whatever you can fit in the suitcase you're flying with.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are you at least 25? If you are younger, it will be crazy expensive to rent a car.

Is the tv newish or just some old tube tv? If its old you should just craigslist it and either get a new one when you get to DC or make due with whatever computer monitor I'm assuming you have - between Netflix and Hulu you should be reasonably well entertained. For the books, if you don't need them for school, store them at your parents' house or sell them. If your clothing still overloads a car at this point, you have too much clothes.

MushroomStick on