As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PVP, where to start?

815165815165 Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I really like Scott Kurtz and a lot of the stuff he's done like the D&D podcasts, morning after, webcomics weekly, blams, etc. but I've never actually read his comic.

So PVP has been around forever and starting right at the beginning seems like a crazy idea, is it? Where would be a good place to start with PVP?

815165 on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would start at the beginning, honestly. This may be the haze of memory, but I think his earlier PVP was a lot funnier than his more recent stuff.

admanb on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The beginning is a pretty logical and good way to start. Tht's the way i did it, altough i jumped in a few years earlier.

edit: he used to have a "new readers" section, but i can't seem to find it anymore...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just jump in.

Start with the most recent stuff, then work on penetrating the labyrinth that is the PVP archives.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    RedjarRedjar Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Edit: Post removed by user.

Redjar on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    His comics are pretty short. It won't take you that long to go through everything. Just start from the beginning. It definitely has its ups and downs though.

Esh on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd almost call this a plant thread just for the single fact that Kurtz just released a "Best of" pvp book, as stated above. (Kidding about the plant thread thing)

Seriously though, the best of book is only $15.00 and it will be a great way to start reading. The only other option is to just start wading through the archives. If you go that route I'd recommend starting around 2000. That's about when he went full time with the comic and really changed the character styles, branched off from video game humor, and shifted to a more slice of life type comic with a few wacky adventures thrown in for fun.

Also, if you decide to just buy the books (which I support, because pVp is great and worth the money) shell out for the awesomeology. It's expensive, but it collects (I think) the first six volumes of the earlier books. His first books were a mashup of old and new comics and weren't printed in chronological order. He didn't start doing proper annual collections until book six or seven, so the first books, with all due respect to Scott, kind of suck.

So there you go. Start with the best of, fall in love with the comic, then get the awesomeology and then get the books that follow.

Also if you get a chance to go to PAX buy them from him in person. He personalizes them with a sketch and he's a pretty cool guy to talk to.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Its interesting to see the progression of Scott's art, from the brutal beginnings (albeit better than alot of webcomics I see to this day) to his "copy paste" talking heads phase, to the great looking style he has now.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Indeed... and not to derail the thread, but a lot of people give Scott crap for pVp when they should be thanking him because he is probably the main reason that Mike no longer draws banana hands.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Indeed... and not to derail the thread, but a lot of people give Scott crap for pVp when they should be thanking him because he is probably the main reason that Mike no longer draws banana hands.

Hey man. If you read the regular new comic threads, you'll see that a lot of people really miss those banana hands. Actually, Mike's hand-drawing seems to be kind of a fixation in general.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Start at the beginning and stop the second you see the word 'Shecky'

you will have had everything good and almost nothing bad from PvP

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Something in this thread looks familiar....

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth