Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Been playing more Ghost Recon. Still really awesome. I like the little skirmish maps too.

Yeah, the engineer / lighthouse one is great, and I also really liked the 3 recon unit scenario. I really haven't played anything else on the 3DS aside from Ghost Recon. It's really great.
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    On a brighter note, I've had 14 street passes in my shitty little city. More than I'd thought I'd get in a few months.

And I still haven't gotten any in Boston. I think I need to walk around more with it.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    And now it happened again.:? This time I started the 3D calibration instead of restarting the system, but if this keeps happening, there's something wrong.

Funny, I was just coming to post this same thing. I was going to try to get three stars on some of the platinum missions in Pilotwings, but the 3D was simply showing two full images side by side. I could still play fine in 2D mode, but I couldn't get the 3D to work at all. :(

It's always fun to buy a new game or device and discover you paid for the privilege to beta test it.

CrewMember169 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's always fun to buy a new game or device and discover you paid for the privilege to beta test it.

Or in other words, every device ever made, from launch to retirement?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really enjoy the system, but can't wait for more games. RE looks particularly promising.

I wonder if they could get RE4 running on the DS?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't regret buying any of the three games I got. SSFIV has tons of replay value, Shadow Wars is awesome, and Rayman is a port good enough to satisfy my platforming needs. It may not be the best launch line-up ever, but there's enough to keep you entertained until the good stuff comes out.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's not a bad launch lineup. I bought a PS3 at launch, and settled for Resistance. I don't even like FPS games.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Finally got a game on 3DS : Splinter Cell 3D

Noooo why did you do it? :(

There have been a few reviews out for a while telling everyone to steer clear.
    I'm thinking this is the case due to lack of RAM (96mb for games, 32mb reserved for the OS and menus).

The XBOX only had 64 meg of RAM.

The version on 3DS is most likely a port from PS2 and Cube, which had 32 and 40 megs of RAM, respectively.

Judging by screenshots, I think it was a PSP game that was swtiched to the 3DS when PSP started to completely tank in the US.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Right now I'm mostly playing Pokemon White on it, but I could always use friends. ;-) :

0216-0794-7287

Trion on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And now it happened again.:? This time I started the 3D calibration instead of restarting the system, but if this keeps happening, there's something wrong.

Funny, I was just coming to post this same thing. I was going to try to get three stars on some of the platinum missions in Pilotwings, but the 3D was simply showing two full images side by side. I could still play fine in 2D mode, but I couldn't get the 3D to work at all. :(

I'd be more concerned if running the 3D calibration in the settings hadn't fixed the issue.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I really enjoy the system, but can't wait for more games. RE looks particularly promising.

I wonder if they could get RE4 running on the DS?

Mercenaries 3D is mainly (entirely?) characters and levels straight out of RE4 and 5. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that it could run RE4.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So which of you guys bought Samurai Warriors?

I only have DS games and I'm not sure I want to wait for the first batch of new releases before I buy a 3D game. Is it good?

If you're a fan of the Koei "Warriors" series, then it's pretty good.

Subjectively, on its own merits...nah, it ain't great.

Fixed for you.

I enjoy it more than SSF4.

It's got quite a bit of replayability, which is pretty important with the current dearth of games.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No matter what I do, I can NOT get my 3DS online. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works. I'm beginning to think there might be something wrong with the system itself. My laptop, Wii, PS3, and even my DSiXL work just fine. I even reset my router to factory, thinking maybe it didn't save my settings correctly.

I might go to McDonalds later to see if I can get on their unsecured network. This is really bumming me. :?

I mean, if my XL works the 3DS sure the hell should, right? I even compared the config screens side by side.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The config screens probably won't look the same.

Are you trying to get the 3DS itself online but you're in the DS settings somehow? Or vice versa, do you need to get a DS game online and you're messing with the 3DS's settings? In all cases, are you sure the physical wireless switch on the side is turned on and blinking?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just curious, are there any Ocarina of Time naysayers who picked up a 3DS? Seems like most everyone is going to pick that one up, but I think an argument can be made that it's "just another remake." Seems like we're going to have pretty close to a 1-to-1 attachment rate once it comes out, though.

Personally, I love Ocarina of Time, and cannot wait for the 3DS version. Anybody feel strongly otherwise?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think my favorite game is the one where you take your 3DS everywhere you go trying to get some StreetPasses haha.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      I think an argument can be made that it's "just another remake."

It wouldn't be a very good one. Not just in reference to OoT, but in general I think most gamers would support a remake of a game they like. They could remake Modern Warfare or Gears or Mario Sunshine with some extra content right now and I bet a lot of people would buy any of them. Different people would buy them, but they'd all be justified.

OoT's been re-released but not remade, and it's never been portable or 3D either. It has a lot going for it. I think a ton of people would be justified in buying it even if it was for the Wii with the same sort of graphical upgrade, but this is even better.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Just curious, are there any Ocarina of Time naysayers who picked up a 3DS? Seems like most everyone is going to pick that one up, but I think an argument can be made that it's "just another remake." Seems like we're going to have pretty close to a 1-to-1 attachment rate once it comes out, though.

Personally, I love Ocarina of Time, and cannot wait for the 3DS version. Anybody feel strongly otherwise?

I can see why people would buy it, but i'm OOT'd out from playing it once, and with the rate great games come out I have trouble fitting in all the completely new ones I want to play in. so remakes just don't make the cut.

taliosfalcon on
      steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    • Options
      Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      The config screens probably won't look the same.

Are you trying to get the 3DS itself online but you're in the DS settings somehow? Or vice versa, do you need to get a DS game online and you're messing with the 3DS's settings? In all cases, are you sure the physical wireless switch on the side is turned on and blinking?

I touch the wrench icon on the main menu, then choose internet settings. I then make a new connection and input what it asks for. I'm only going to use the online for 3DS games, I'll use my XL for DS games. You actually can't even get into the internet setting if the switch is off, it tells you to turn it on to proceed.

It finds my router fine. On the test screen it seems to connect to my router (the router turns blue and my icon says connected), then when it tries to get from my router to the internet it fails every time.

I'm using WPA Personal (AES) for security, but that can't be the problem beacuse my XL works great on it.

Yellow Ranger on
      sigcx.jpg
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      Then yeah you really should try other wireless connections around town just to see.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      edited April 2011

It wouldn't be a very good one. Not just in reference to OoT, but in general I think most gamers would support a remake of a game they like. They could remake Modern Warfare or Gears or Mario Sunshine with some extra content right now and I bet a lot of people would buy any of them. Different people would buy them, but they'd all be justified.

OoT's been re-released but not remade, and it's never been portable or 3D either. It has a lot going for it. I think a ton of people would be justified in buying it even if it was for the Wii with the same sort of graphical upgrade, but this is even better.

Could you really remake Modern Warfare? I mean, no one gives a shit about the campaign. So what is there to remake? Just buy Black Ops or whatever the newest version is, since it's exactly the same + whatever new features they've added since the original (and better graphics, etc etc).

IMO for a remake to make sense, the game at least has to have some "uniqueness" to it that hasn't been duplicated by more recent games. In most cases, story covers this. But not really in this one, since no one cares about story.

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      edited April 2011

Could you really remake Modern Warfare? I mean, no one gives a shit about the campaign. So what is there to remake? Just buy Black Ops or whatever the newest version is, since it's exactly the same + whatever new features they've added since the original (and better graphics, etc etc).

IMO for a remake to make sense, the game at least has to have some "uniqueness" to it that hasn't been duplicated by more recent games. In most cases, story covers this. But not really in this one, since no one cares about story.

I remember a ton of people talking about how emotional and awesome the campaign was. I never played it myself. But if nothing else they could do some better graphics by now, rebalance multi a bit and put in some new maps and yes, a ton of people would buy it.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      My favorite thing to do ever since I got my 3DS -- and hasn't gotten old -- is pointing the 3DS at a QR Code and having a Mii popout automatically. It's one of the functionalities that has been so easy to use on the 3DS that it's almost complusive. When I see a Code, I just gotta scan it.

However, then I look at the Friend List implementation and long for a better way to make me enjoy it. Putting in the codes and names is a breeze, but having to scroll ALLLLLL the way back to the first entry in a huge list of friends to input a new one everytime is so frustrating. Even if they had just programmed the Left and Right shoulder buttons to jump from the Beginning to End it would've been a better solution. Of course, a sort function and separation between Online/Offline friends would also be great, but maybe that's asking too much right now. All I can say is that when the huge 3DS update comes in May I hope they bring some changes to the Friend List as well.

V Faction on
      Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
      Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
      "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    • Options
      SeolSeol Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      I'm a huge fan of OoT, but I'm not hugely excited by the re-release. I can play it any time on the Wii, I'm not a graphics snob, it's not the sort of game that's inherently replayable, and it's not particularly well suited to short burst play. Probably won't buy it.

Starfox, however, is a different matter. It'll gain more from 3D, too.

Seol on
    • Options
      edited April 2011

I remember a ton of people talking about how emotional and awesome the campaign was. I never played it myself. But if nothing else they could do some better graphics by now, rebalance multi a bit and put in some new maps and yes, a ton of people would buy it.

Yeah but my point is, all of those changes for multi already exist in the form of newer CoD games. I mean, it makes more sense to just do another sequel than a remake.

That being said, people are dumb so I'm sure it *would* still sell really well. Though I question whether it would sell more than an actual sequel would.

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      slash000slash000 Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Seol wrote: »
      I'm a huge fan of OoT, but I'm not hugely excited by the re-release. I can play it any time on the Wii, I'm not a graphics snob, it's not the sort of game that's inherently replayable, and it's not particularly well suited to short burst play. Probably won't buy it.

Starfox, however, is a different matter. It'll gain more from 3D, too.

I feel the same way, and I can't wait to see how cool Starfox is to play in 3D....

... but I still want Nintendo to remake StarFox (SNES).....

slash000 on
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      slash000 wrote: »

So, like, you want StarFox 64? :)

Warlock82 on
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      V Faction wrote: »
      My favorite thing to do ever since I got my 3DS -- and hasn't gotten old -- is pointing the 3DS at a QR Code and having a Mii popout automatically. It's one of the functionalities that has been so easy to use on the 3DS that it's almost complusive. When I see a Code, I just gotta scan it.

Wait, does it generate Miis from any QR code or do you have some place where a lot of Mii codes are posted?

I've tried scanning a few Mii codes I got on a different website and the 3DS seemed to pick them up much faster than my phone did whenever I tried scanning QR codes on that.

Peewi on
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      slash000 wrote: »

So, like, you want StarFox 64? :)

I know, right? But seriously, we have SF64 on the VC for Wii at least. But to be honest, even in its original incarnation, SF64 is not an ugly game and it runs smooth. Getting this 3DS remake is going to be even more awesome. The original, though, was also incredibly awesome. It was more challenging and had more elusive secrets, and it wasn't bogged down by all range mode or those damn submarine levels. It could also use a graphical overhaul (although I do actually kind of like the sleek geometric angular look of it for some reason), but it could definitely use a full screen and framerate upgrade if nothing else.

slash000 on
    • Options
      SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      I'm definitely picking up OoT. I got onto a Zelda kick not to long ago and started replaying Link to the Past so I have the urge for some Ocarina. But I figure by this point I may as well just wait for the 3DS release.

SirUltimos on
    • Options
      edited April 2011

Wait, does it generate Miis from any QR code or do you have some place where a lot of Mii codes are posted?

I've tried scanning a few Mii codes I got on a different website and the 3DS seemed to pick them up much faster than my phone did whenever I tried scanning QR codes on that.

The QR code can be from anything: A website, your phone, or even another 3DS browsing your Mii's saved code.

Of course, it's only the Nintendo Mii specific QR code that works, but that's expected. Not sure what the system would do if it tried to look at a BBC QR code or something.

I've been to threads on different websites (even here) that have people post their own Mii's QR code, Mii's they created to look like characters, and even Mii's that resemble real-life people. All it takes is a convergence of codes in one place.

V Faction on
      Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
      "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      I'd still like to see them release the original Star Fox 2 sometime. It makes me sad that it was essentially done and they just cancelled it because "oh, we have a 3d console coming out, no more 3d-looking SNES games!!"

Star Fox (SNES) would probably be a good candidate for the 3d Classics (or whatever they are calling it) thing on 3DS though. With all the mode 7 and super fx chip stuff, it might be possible to port it to 3d and have it look nice without a lot of extra effort.

Warlock82 on
    • Options
      jothkijothki Registered User regular
      edited April 2011

Are you holding the screen too close or too far away?

jothki on
    • Options
      JaveJave Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      I was on the fence on OoT3D (still own my cart with original Fire Temple music and red blood) but I was sold when they said it was going to include Master Quest. I've never played that.

Jave on
      My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
      (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
      3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
    • Options
      mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Star Fox for the SNES would be a good candidate for a lot of improvements on the 3DS. The game actually uses polygons and 3D space, so converting it to 3D (or at least, doing a good job of it) would be easier than 2D games. Expanding the viewport to the full widescreen aspect ratio would be simpler than doing it on 2D games, too.

And in addition to visual enhancements, it would also be an opportunity to fix the original game's frame rate issues, and improve the controls by adding analog support. Personally, if it weren't for the digital controls and often-single-digit frame rate, I think the original Star Fox would be a much better game than Star Fox 64, so fixing those things would be huge.

Star Fox is begging to be made into a 3DS game.

mntorankusu on
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      Star Fox (SNES) would probably be a good candidate for the 3d Classics (or whatever they are calling it) thing on 3DS though. With all the mode 7 and super fx chip stuff, it might be possible to port it to 3d and have it look nice without a lot of extra effort.

Ah man, that would be so awesome. Pipe dreams thouigh.

slash000 on
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      jothki wrote: »

Are you holding the screen too close or too far away?

I don't know about that guy, but I was holding it the exact same way as I usually do. Normally, when I have the 3D on and close one eye, I just see one of the images. When the 3D didn't work I saw two images on top of each other, even when only looking with one eye, regardless of angle.

It returned to normal behavior after running the 3D calibration found in the system settings.

Peewi on
    • Options
      LunkerLunker Registered User regular
      edited April 2011

However, then I look at the Friend List implementation and long for a better way to make me enjoy it. Putting in the codes and names is a breeze, but having to scroll ALLLLLL the way back to the first entry in a huge list of friends to input a new one everytime is so frustrating. Even if they had just programmed the Left and Right shoulder buttons to jump from the Beginning to End it would've been a better solution. Of course, a sort function and separation between Online/Offline friends would also be great, but maybe that's asking too much right now. All I can say is that when the huge 3DS update comes in May I hope they bring some changes to the Friend List as well.

It's really not "too much to ask" for more usabilty and common-sense functionality, like having your list sorted to prioritize who's online, or even using the QR codes to make swapping Friend Codes infinitely easier. It might just be "more than what we pessimistically expect Nintendo to bother with," and sadly the pessimism isn't unwarranted. :( My frustration over a lack of messaging or game invites in SSFIV is palpable.

Lunker on
      Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      That's exactly what I mean when I say too much to ask for.

I've put up with a lot of the weird Nintendo-y decisions in the past. The 3DS is a chance at a fresh start and they're already starting with one foot in the paint bucket (or something) with these tiny details that make even I, a stalwart believer, crack a little.

I know deep down it's going to be a step-by-step process here.

V Faction on
    • Options
      KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Friend code: 1805-2199-0165

Khavall on
    • Options
      edited April 2011

Where/how do you do the 3D calibration?

slash000 on
    • Options
      LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
      edited April 2011
      So far I've only see the double (side-by-side) images when using the 3D camera function - I thought it was just a fluke with the two separate camera lenses. Weird that it can happen in games, too.

LCDXX on
      XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX