As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggest a haircut!

ArrathArrath Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Over the past few years I've grown my hair out, its now down to the small of my back and I'm ready for a change. (Also tired of dealing with it) I honestly have no idea what I should do with it, so I shall ask the internet!
LarDk.jpg

In regards to the beard, its been shaped up and cleaned from that picture, but I don't have anything more recent at the moment.

Arrath on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honestly? I'd suggest just going to a stylist (not your $15 super cuts special) and letting them, well, style it. That's their job, and they've been trained to do it. It's hard to look at a picture and say "make me look like this" since chances are your hair won't do that, your face shape will make it look weird, or any number of other things.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Honestly? I'd suggest just going to a stylist (not your $15 super cuts special) and letting them, well, style it. That's their job, and they've been trained to do it. It's hard to look at a picture and say "make me look like this" since chances are your hair won't do that, your face shape will make it look weird, or any number of other things.

Beaten to the punch.

Last time I checked, there weren't any hair stylists in here (and this thread comes up fairly frequently). We're not professionals and you should put yourself into the hands of one. I think I'm the closest that anyone in here comes to it and that's because I was a receptionist at a salon for a couple of years.

But definitely chop it off. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to keep it or ponytail it. That much advice I can offer you. I'd probably lose the beard and mustache too.

Esh on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm a fan of buzzcuts, but I'd recommend the stylist as well.

I'd say keep the beard if you like it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My general advice to most guys- stop going to Supercuts or other cheapo places. There's a reason they're $15 a cut- you get what you pay for. For $40 or so every month, you can get yourself a much better haircut that will make you look more attractive and professional. Go in and talk to the stylist and tell them what you're generally looking for, depending on your job and lifestyle. They know better than you do what cut will be the most flattering.

And I'd suggest shaving the beard, if you're working a white collar job.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    if you are going for a trim supercuts is fine, if you are going for some fancy stuff or wacking your hair off going for a new look go to a stylist.

As a beard man myself I say keep the beard, but clean it up.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    darkmayo wrote: »
    if you are going for a trim supercuts is fine, if you are going for some fancy stuff or wacking your hair off going for a new look go to a stylist.

A lot of the people at Supercuts can even fuck up trims. Don't go there or anywhere like it.

Esh on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And honestly, once you've built up a relationship with your stylist, they don't charge you the full-cut price for a trim/touch up.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    From the look of your head, I think you could go hipster

hipster_161393.jpg

does your hair have the strength to go up?

Ryna on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No. Just... No.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Ryna wrote: »
    From the look of your head, I think you could go hipster

/cut picture

does your hair have the strength to go up?

1. No. Don't even think about this.

2. That's not a "hipster" no matter what the URL says.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ignore the glasses, shirt, pose and background...

'tis cool

Ryna on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

'tis cool

And this is why you should talk to a professional and not us.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Esh wrote: »

'tis cool

And this is why you should talk to a professional and not us.

relax man, no need to be like that. It was just a suggestion.. geez

Ryna on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

A lot of the people at Supercuts can even fuck up trims. Don't go there or anywhere like it.

Guess it really depends on the location, the one near me has always been fine.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Guess it really depends on the location, the one near me has always been fine.

I'm on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. You don't even want to know what I spend on a haircut. It grows out PERFECTLY though and I can let it go for up to two months if I want (though at that point it's a little shaggy/long for me). It's like once you've had the best, it's impossible to settle for anything less. Don't go down my dark path. Find a nice middle ground of $35-$45 a cut.

And remember to tip!

Esh on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dread-hawk it.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Find a barber shop, urban ones really know their stuff.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dread-hawk it.

now you're talkin'...

Ryna on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have no styling advice, but if your hair is down to the small of your back and you're going to cut it fairly short then your hair should be long enough to qualify for donation to a charity like Locks of Love or Childhood Leukemia Foundation. They make wigs for kids who've lost their hair due to various medical conditions or treatments.

It's an awesome thing to do if you're getting rid of a lot of hair.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just one small suggestion.

If you are going to cut 10 inches or more off the top - I would reccomend donating the pony tail to Locks of Love which makes wigs for cancer patients. If you want to do that, talk to the receptionist about it and make sure that they will do that for you. (EDIT - BEATEN TO THE PUNCH BY Asiina)

Whether you do that or not, I would definitely spend a little money and let the stylist do their thing, but make sure you let them know what kind of daily maintenance you are willing to do. Don't let the sylist saddle you with a hair style that necessitates an hour of styling every day in conjunction with $100 in hair products unless you really want that. If you want it simple, tell them so.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

If you are going to cut 10 inches or more off the top - I would reccomend donating the pony tail to Locks of Love which makes wigs for cancer patients. If you want to do that, talk to the receptionist about it and make sure that they will do that for you. (EDIT - BEATEN TO THE PUNCH BY Asiina)

Yea, not so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_love

Barely any of the hair sent to them gets made into wigs.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Yea, not so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_love

Barely any of the hair sent to them gets made into wigs.

This is not the only organization that accepts donations of hair, if you would prefer another. Look into each charity beforehand and decide if they're using your donation in a way you'd find acceptable, just as with any other charity.

The thing is, the hair you donate MUST be of a certain length and largely untreated for them to do much with it in any kind of cost-effective manner, and it takes many more ponytails' worth of hair to make a realistic-looking wig than you naturally grow on your head. People tend to forget that last part, and ignore the former because charities doing anything with donations other than what the donators thought they would doesn't jive well, even if it's just a cost-covering measure.

If your ponytail is less than 10-12 inches past your neckline, this entire discussion is pretty much moot for the purposes of this thread.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I recommend seeing a professional if you're doing a new style.

There's nothing wrong with a cheap haircut, but you get what you pay for. If you're trying a new style, someone who actually knows how to cut hair well will give you a much better final product, and may have some ideas of advice for you if you're indecisive.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    George Clooney has some pretty classy hairstyles.

If you've ever been told that you look like a famous person, find pictures of that famous person! They have professional stylists that cost ungodly amounts of money making them look that way, so reap the rewards! Also, most stylists from my understanding want you to give them some idea of what you're looking for.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well then, to a pro I go. I hadn't considered the idea of donating my hair, I'll look into that, thanks guys.

Arrath on