As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Classic Megaman Appreciation Thread

• Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think I might be a fan.

I need that damn Game Gear game. The saturn games and psp games aren't pictured due to forgetfulness.

Also ZX was good but Powered Up was the better game last year. Half of me wanted them to continue with the remakes and the other half didn't. Mainly because the remakes were redoing the X series storyline completely.

No Marvel v. Capcom 1 and 2? I used to tool my friend at that with Megaman cause he couldn't figure out how to attack me if I sat on one side of the screen and kept tapping the shoot button.

....we both sucked at fighting games back then.

Yea I have them as well as other cameo games like Boktai 2 and Cannon Spike, but they aren't Mega Man titles so they are not pictured.
    Also MegaMan 5 for the gameboy sure as hell should have been rereleased on GBA, what was Capcom thinking?

Do you mean the cancelled GBA collection of the 5 GB titles or just the game itself? If you meant just the game then I think Capcom was thinking "Hey its 1994 The Super Gameboy rocks!"

edit: hmm... I misread that... I think that means its time for sleep

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

I need that damn Game Gear game. The saturn games and psp games aren't pictured due to forgetfulness.

Also ZX was good but Powered Up was the better game last year. Half of me wanted them to continue with the remakes and the other half didn't. Mainly because the remakes were redoing the X series storyline completely.

No Marvel v. Capcom 1 and 2? I used to tool my friend at that with Megaman cause he couldn't figure out how to attack me if I sat on one side of the screen and kept tapping the shoot button.

Yea I have them as well as other cameo games like Boktai 2 and Cannon Spike, but they aren't Mega Man titles so they are not pictured.

Is isn't the "Gaming Gone Too Far" thread.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Is isn't the "Gaming Gone Too Far" thread.

I haven't reached my goal of having every US release yet though. Clearly it hasn't gone far enough!

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Since someone brought it up, just want to voice my love for Cannon Spike, which I might not have tried were it not for Mega Man's as a playable character in it.

Incredibly idiotic screw-up in the booklet, tho, showing a pic of MegaMan Volnutt...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thread needs more

f_rushm_79f9bdf.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I appreciate Megaman, and all that he's done. *applause*

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Balefuego wrote:
    Thread needs more

f_rushm_79f9bdf.jpg
    That reminds me of my favorite Megaman moment. I was playing MM7 at my friends house with him watching. I got to the final Bass fight, where proceeds to go into hyper mode or whatnot and fuse with Treble.

Me: "What the fu... Why can't my dog do that?!"
    Friend: "He can."
    Me "!"

Cue me activating Rush armor and fighting him on level ground. I still giggle when I think of that moment.

I'm kinda bummed that they won't do any more Powered up/Maverick hunter games. While I was opposed to the blatant money whoring stench that came off them, they actually added enough new stuff that I was curious what they would add for later games. Playing as the bosses in PU was great, and anybody will tell you that every game deserves a Vile mode, whether or not he was even in said game. Ah well...

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm kinda bummed that they won't do any more Powered up/Maverick hunter games. While I was opposed to the blatant money whoring stench that came off them, they actually added enough new stuff that I was curious what they would add for later games. Playing as the bosses in PU was great, and anybody will tell you that every game deserves a Vile mode, whether or not he was even in said game. Ah well...

I wholeheartedly agree. I still think that the whole thing would've paid off better for Capcom if they'd just taken a page from Rockstar's book and ported their PSP games to the PS2 down the line...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Favorite bosses from games.

1. Fire Man because you can just stand there, only pressing the fire button and still beat him.
    2. Wood Man. MM2 was the first MM game I was introduced to as a wee lad, and this guy always stuck in mind.
    3. Sssnnnnnake Man. I fucking hearted me the cartoon.
    4. Toad Man. He was the only one I could beat as a kid.
    5. Charge Man. He is train transformer.
    6. Plant Man. This is boss is like a reward because he is so easy and his stage is so olol fucking hard.
    7. Shade Man. He bites you.
    8. Grenade Man. I was surprised when he blew his own stage up. That's crazy.

Man I want more Mega Man. I am still sad I couldn't get into Megaman ZX.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am in the assasins guild at my uni, this is my weapon of choice -
    b00020lym601a3t7dp7ij54rk2.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wouldn't it be sweet to play a MetroidVania style Megaman? It remains my dream to do so in the next 5 years.

They're getting closer to being MetroidVanias but they aren't quite there, right?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aaaaahh...Megaman. So many hours spent in gaming bliss. My first experience was MM2, and one of the memories I remember most was how awesome the graphics were on my NES...so shiny and colourful. That damn robot dragon near the end always frazzled my nerves as a boy. :P I got it for my birthday and remember staying up all night playing it with some buddies...we just couldn't turn it off. :D

Dragon.PNG

So many pitfalls and traps....
    CastilloWilly.png

Scotty on
  • Options
    UberdushUberdush Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    ###

Uberdush on
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    b00020lym601a3t7dp7ij54rk2.jpg
    Ha, I have one of those, but it's the X arm. It just shoots these crappy little darts, but I got it for like 5 bucks and it's super cool.

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    d_b wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    SNIP
    Ha, I have one of those, but it's the X arm. It just shoots these crappy little darts, but I got it for like 5 bucks and it's super cool.

Thats what mine is, the sabre twists off, and then it has 2 darts. Indeed they are crappy, but I look badass whilst assasinating

LewieP on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd have to say that MM3 is probably the best classic game followed closely behind by MM2. The Robot Masters, and kickass music tracks will always be remembered in my mind.

MM2 Favorites:

bigquick.gif
    bigheat.gif
    bigmetal.gif
    flash-re.gif

MM3 Favorites:

bigmagnet.gif
    My favorite Robot master in the entire series. Great music, Hard but fun level compared to the rest of 3, and one helluvan awesome Weapon Get! I just wish there was a non-NT Figure of him out there somewhere.

shadow-re.gif
    Second favorite goes to Shadowman. I mean comon, he's a damn Ninja! And his stage is so nice you get to play it twice!

I also have the first set of the Retro Rotos that came out. I honestly wish Jazwares would distribute there stuff a little better, as I didn't even know these existed until about a month ago, and then I find out that they discontinued the line. Bastards.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just wonderin', which stage music is your favorite? Bubble Man's, Metal Man's, and Ring Man's stage music are the most memorable among them, IMO, but the classic NES series has plenty of gems trapped in 8 bit glory.

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I'll answer anyway. :D

I love Wood Man and Flash Man's music from the NES games. Spark Mandrill and Storm Eagle are my favorites from the SNES.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Overclocked Remix has some kickass MegaMan tunes.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    motivator3081244.jpg

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Best part of megaman 2 is killing the final boss with gun that blows bubbles.

Gino on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like me some Mega Man, but I have never, ever, ever beaten one. Today, he reminds me how much I suck at video games. Tight music though.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Chen wrote:
    I like me some Mega Man, but I have never, ever, ever beaten one. Today, he reminds me how much I suck at video games. Tight music though.

you should beat atleast 1 and 2. They are hard, but they arn't mega man X hard.

Gino on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Gino wrote:
    Chen wrote:

Mega Man X is easy.

I can beat that with my eyes closed.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pata wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    Chen wrote:

Mega Man X is easy.

I can beat that with my eyes closed.

I never beat the last string of bosses but maybe it was X3 that was retarded hard.

Gino on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, I was pretty young of course, but there were always some stages that were impossible to beat, like Quick Man's lasers of death or the end of Top Man or those reappearing blocks in Magnet Man's stage. If I made it to the boss, they had lasers and shit that were near impossible to dodge.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Indeed, MMX is a very easy game..

But if you have to beat a Megaman Classic, try Megaman 5. That's the easiest one of all. MM2 is a close second, though -- protip, use Flash Man's power to stop those beams in Quick Man's stage.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MMX1 and 2 were easy. 3 made the bosses too much of a guessing game. They'd all have this unstoppable attack that, unless you had their weakness with you, would ruin your shit. The bosses in the two previous games could all be taken out with the X Buster easily enough.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    slash000 wrote:

But if you have to beat a Megaman Classic, try Megaman 5. That's the easiest one of all. MM2 is a close second, though -- protip, use Flash Man's power to stop those beams in Quick Man's stage.

I'm pretty sure I beat MM5 in one go.

That's the only Mega Man game I've ever done that with. :P

Pata on
  • Options
    skyfireskyfire Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    Wouldn't it be sweet to play a MetroidVania style Megaman? It remains my dream to do so in the next 5 years.

They're getting closer to being MetroidVanias but they aren't quite there, right?

Please stfu. Metroid and Castlevania are NOTHING alike.

A MegaMan done like a Metorid OR a Castlevania...hmm you might be onto somthing there?

skyfire on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    skyfire wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:

A MegaMan done like a Metorid OR a Castlevania...hmm you might be onto somthing there?

You...You know what the metroidvanias are, right? The castlevania games with the exploration stylings of Metroid? That's what he's referring to. You know, SotN, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS and PoR?

yalborap on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    I can totally feel you with the fanboy thing.

I remember being no older than 5 and renting megaman from the local video store. I was so angry because i could not for the life of me beat one of the bosses ( I cannot quite remember which one.) Then, in First grade, i got to talking with my then friend now best friend, and we were exchanging video games. I got megaman 2 and have been addicted since.

I got the megaman collection for gamecube, but it just isnt the same. I am glad i still got my top loading NES i bought at a yard sale, and all the megaman games besides 5.

On somewhat of a side note, anyone listen to the megas? The most amazing megaman band ever? (Closely followed by the protomen)

...Dammit, now I need to get their music too. Thanks a lot!

Oh yea dude, they use the actual music from the game to create songs with lyrics about the bosses. It is a saga all about megaman 2. With all the music from megaman 2.

It is fucking Epic.

I'm not usually a fan of videogame rock covers, but I really like what they did there with the lyrics and such. Very cool.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have the goofy Mega Man collection for the Gamecube sitting around somewhere.

Mega Man Soccer made me giggle. I love the blue bomber. I want to hug him every day. I even have a little toy of him in my room; I'd post a picture, but I'm in class. alas

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    slash000 wrote:

A better tip is to get through the beams without the Flash Stopper. It's much easier than it seems once you get down which ones come out from which direction.

This way when you actually get to Quick Man, you can use the Flash Stopper. It saps away half of his energy. After that a Crash Bomb will finish him.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    skyfire wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:

You...You know what the metroidvanias are, right? The castlevania games with the exploration stylings of Metroid? That's what he's referring to. You know, SotN, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS and PoR?

Wasn't Megaman ZX basically a Megavania? I recall it being so. Free roaming areas connected to each other forming a large map, backtracking, teleporters to more distant areas of the map, Bosses in little boss rooms you could go back and visit if you want... A sword...

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    skyfire wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:

Wasn't Megaman ZX basically a Megavania? I recall it being so.

More like Metroid Man. :P

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ZERO IS MY HERO!

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a personal rule that I must beat the bosses with the megabuster alone the first time around. Using weapons they are weak to is saved for the final stages when you fight them all again.

I beat the MMX2 final boss on the first go. I was shocked. I spent a solid two weeks of trying against MM7's final boss.

Edit: MMZX is Castlevania/Metroid-like with all the levels being connected. I couldn't really get into to it. I want to choose my stage and boss when I'm playing Megaman.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    GimpyBoy wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    skyfire wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:

Wasn't Megaman ZX basically a Megavania? I recall it being so.

More like Metroid Man. :P

Megatroid? "Heavens to megatroid!"

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I have a personal rule that I must beat the bosses with the megabuster alone the first time around. Using weapons they are weak to is saved for the final stages when you fight them all again.

I beat the MMX2 final boss on the first go. I was shocked. I spent a solid two weeks of trying against MM7's final boss.

The last boss of Mega Man 7 is the devil. Wily must have been really pissed off that he was sent to jail in Mega Man 6.

People complain about the last boss of X3 all the time and I found him to be incredibly easy. Just keep running under then behind him and fire just slightly over his head. His missles are easy to dodge and the laser shows you where its going to fire.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone who owns the Buster Arms:

Any way you can change the springs and such? if not, I might get one of these:
    4277415_tp.jpg

And turn it into a gun? Those things should be giant balls that it shoots, damnit!

Zen Vulgarity on