As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Worth my time?

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
I never used to be a big FPS fan, but over the years I've gradually warmed up to them. Dark Forces on my friend's PC was probably the first one I ever played, and since then I've tried out a few here and there.

I'm nearing the end of my first ever run of Half-Life 2, and I'm really enjoying it. I really don't have any desire to play the realistic military FPS games, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, et al. However, I have found that I tend to enjoy the more sci-fi oriented entries in the genre. I took advantage of the free game offer for signing up for a year of Live, and Halo Reach will be arriving in the mail at some unknown time in the future. Having never played any of the entries in the series, I've been wondering if it's worth it to go back and play the older entries.

Which entry should I start with, and which ones are better off being left alone?

langfor6 on

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    nope.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Halo 1 hasn't aged well, and the art design's a little goofy at times. (giant anime-face Cortana and her inconsistent British speech). Likewise for 2, although this is the point where, as they say, "the plot thickens."

Halo 3's a good game in its own right, and if you find the Collector's Edition (pretty cheap these days, as they manufactures eleventy billion of them) it comes with some DVDs containing all the cutscenes of H1 and H2, plus fun developer commentary.

ODST uses the H3 engine, but takes place during the events of Halo 2. The game's a little darker in tone than the others, but it's still explody and shooty and drive-y and has all the good stuff, plus it's got the leads from Firefly as the principal VAs.

I wouldn't know about Halo Wars, because I don't pay much attention to RTS games. Someone will be along shortly to fill you in, I'm sure.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd say yes, but i'm on my phone and can't go into detail right at the moment.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    halo is good dude
    but
    shoulda post this in the halo thread. you know, the one on the front page.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you've got Reach I'd say you're pretty much set. The others are mostly good for nostalgia.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure if you can play the original Halo on the 360, but it's not a bad game! Worth playing I think, kind of a groundbreaking game at the time

I have never played either sequel so I couldn't tell you anything about them

Reach is pretty self-contained though, so you can play that one and see if you like the style of gameplay Halo presents. It's basically the same across all the games and you can't get it anywhere else!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If you're just looking for quality sci-fi shooters though, you can't go wrong with

Republic%20Commando.jpg

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    While Halo: Combat Evolved certainly isn't a masterpiece in terms of story-telling, and the combat isn't that refined by today's standards (but a decade-ish ago? Fantastic stuff), if you like sci-fi the story's enough to suck you in. Gameplay-wise it's solid, although the last half of the game might piss you off up until the last two levels. Agreeing with Bursar - it hasn't aged well graphically.

Halo 3 I enjoyed with regards to the campaign mode, and the terminals they add in to provide some more backstory really enriched the experience. The combat's frantic and a lot better, too - the transition from Halo 3 to Halo: Reach, barring a few weapon system changes, should feel very organic.

I didn't have the pleasure of trying Halo 2, and I'm not very attracted to ODST or Halo Wars so someone else would have to fill those in, but you can pick up Halo 3 pretty cheap these days and Halo: CE is worth a run-through or two.

/2 pence.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Halo 1 bored me to tears and I couldn't even be assed to complete 2 when I took a go at it. But the other hand, the multiplayer were pretty fun. I would assume that Reach obsoletes all the other games on that front, though.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At least play the Silent Cartographer from 1.

Library's not worth it, but the Cartographer's a playground level in the best sense.

And ODST darker?

It's great fun, if short, but it's got the most upbeat ending in the whole series. Just this once Rose, everyone lives.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nalouto wrote: »
    nope.

What he said.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The first half of Halo 1 is pretty cool guy

then the level design team seemed to quit so they just copy and paste it

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I'm still sort of surprised Halo caught on with how half-assed and awful the Library section was

The rest of the game was fine enough but man

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

One level /= half a game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The design does sound intentional, like they made the areas repetitive and grueling so that intruders would get bored and leave. In fact, the only thing more boring then playing Halo is discussing it, and thus I'm ready to leave this thread now and suggest that you all come with me.

Lets go pound some nails through our dicks.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    The design does sound intentional, like they made the areas repetitive and grueling so that intruders would get bored and leave. In fact, the only thing more boring then playing Halo is discussing it, and thus I'm ready to leave this thread now and suggest that you all come with me.

Lets go pound some nails through our dicks.

You go do that.

I'll be shooting Grunts in the leg to watch them limp.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Library and the following level, Two Betrayals, man... Just... Eugh.

Good thing the last two are brilliant, and 343 Guilty Spark is a blast.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

The Truth and Reconciliation is the exact same level layout as the level Keyes
    Two Betrayals is the exact same level as Assault on the Control room but backwards
    Library goes without saying

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I liked the multiplayer in Halo 1 for the PC!

The shotgun/pistol combo in that game is one of my favorite weapon combos in any FPS

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

The Truth and Reconciliation is the exact same level layout as the level Keyes
    Two Betrayals is the exact same level as Assault on the Control room but backwards
    Library goes without saying

Despite that I have to say Keyes and Two Betrayals are two of my favorite levels in the game. Library though...ughh.

I'd say give Halo 1 a go. If you enjoy it you'll probably like to play through the campaigns of 2 and 3.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really liked Halo 1 (Combat Evolved), personally.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was in a similar position, only recently warmed back up to FPS. I played through Halo: Reach without playing the other entries and loved it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Halo Reach is fantastic, Halo 1 might not be as impressive as it was back in the day, but it's still worth playing to a degree. The A.I is still pretty damn good.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    nope.

What he said.

Thirded. All of the times I've tried Halo, I've found it to be fairly disappointing compared to the other FPS gaming I've played.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Halo 1 is worth playing on Legendary, where the AI is at its best and the gameplay is challenging. That's really the only aspect of the game that's still noteworthy, so if you don't want to beat your head against a wall for a while, and are only interested in the plot/graphics, well, those parts aren't so good now.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I replayed halo 1 through recently, and with the exception of the library, loved it. That said, I spent pretty much a year playing coop with my brother every night. So maybe a little bit biased.

Halo 1 is significant because I don't think any other game has really done big levels as well, including the later entries to the series. Also legendary is awesome in this one, and has less irritating bits you have to cheese than later entries.

2 I dislike because it has bosses and is more restricted, but it's still pretty good in its own right.

3 is a lot of fun, probably one of the best in terms of just pure fun.

ODST hit a lot of things I really liked, although it feels like it's missing something. I like it a lot though.

Reach is just damn good all round. It had a few tons of polish worked into it, and it really shows. Gives a fantastic impression of scale too, though the levels are oddly confined compared to 1.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Halo: Combat Evolved is still great. I honestly love the atmosphere of the last half which adequately mitigates the repetition.

Halo 2, Halo 3 and all the other crap is throwaway for me. Good first impression, but very watered down. And too high on their own bullshit with regards to story. Dear Bungie, it's not as deep a narrative as you seem to think it is.

So really, if you want to sample the Halo experience, get the first one and ignore everything else. It is genuinely a landmark title in FPS gaming and in video gaming in general, has aged very well, certainly better than 2 and 3.

And it's great to play it and see where all the FPS staples of today came from. From control scheme onward. It's not genesis, not by a long way, but it has had tremendous influence on design going forward.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played through all the Halo games (except Halo Wars) last year for the first time.

I got really bored with Halo 1 at some point. It was before the infamous library too. But I persevered and made it through.

I jumped right into Halo 2, which felt like a significant improvement.

Halo 3 was pretty good!

My cousin visited and brought his copy of Reach a few months later. We played through the entire campaign in co-op, which was cool. I had never played any of the Halo games in co-op before.

I ended my Halo marathon with ODST, which definitely has a different atmosphere to it. I enjoyed it and really liked the neon-like night vision.

SteevL on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    nope.

What he said.
    Don't listen to the people who are wrong.

Listen to the people who are right.

Is Halo overhyped? Yes.
    Do lots of annoying people play Halo? Yes.
    Do these things change the fact that they're awesome games? No.
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    Halo 1 is worth playing on Legendary, where the AI is at its best and the gameplay is challenging. That's really the only aspect of the game that's still noteworthy, so if you don't want to beat your head against a wall for a while, and are only interested in the plot/graphics, well, those parts aren't so good now.
    I can understand graphics not being so good now, but plot? Plots get bad as they get older? What?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can, find a friend to play through one of the games with co-op. The games get a lot more fun when you have 1-3 friends playing with you. Except maybe some parts of ODST.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't get people saying that halo 1 hasn't aged well. The graphics blew away everything but the top pc games of the time. The controls are rock solid, weapons satisfying, and it has a pretty neat sci-fi plot. Of course the 2 or 3 all flood levels are terrible, but I really liked "assault on the control room" and "two betrayels". Having two fights across the same terrain made it feel real.

Oh and forget everything you know about driving when your in a warthog.

Play halo 1 first, if you like it, play 2 and 3 too. If you don't, just play Reach, then maybe Halo 3/odst if you liked reach.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Halo 1 is the best of the series in my opinion. Especially if you can find a buddy to local co-op it with. Halo 3 and Reach are also very worth playing, though 3 may be totally incomprehensible if you didn't play 2.

I found ODST a bit dull myself, but the voice acting from the entire male cast of Firefly makes it worth at least one run-through. Just ignore Tricia Helfer... she's terrible.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Leonius wrote: »

Oh and forget everything you know about driving when your in a warthog.

Not quite everything about driving. Look where you want to go.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything"

Halo is pretty awesome though, and worth your time.
    You're better off playing the multiplayer with cool people (like TBK on these forums)
    to save yourself much frustration from randoms and 12 year olds.

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or just don't plug in your headset.

anoffday on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Halo 1 has one of the top 5 video game shotguns, so it has that going for it. I'd play the older ones first, as going back from Reach they feel their age. Back when Halo 1 came out? It was incredible.

It does seem to be a very polarizing series though.

Arrath on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd say it is. The first game had, surprisingly, a soundtrack that blew 90% of FPS across any platform away, and fun local/system-link multiplayer.

2 and 3 are also quite good. Two's singleplayer is a bit weaker, but the multiplayer builds on that. The third has a fun singleplayer, four player co-op for that (good luck finding that in any game, it's exceedingly rare), and the best multiplayer, I would argue.

All three games, for their merits and weaknesses, have far better vehicle integration than most console or PC FPSs. Every time I get into a vehicle section in Half-Life 2, my eyes roll back into my head as to how bad they control (versus the rest of the high-quality game) by comparison. Very strange.

Story's interesting, though not the most interesting ever by any means--perhaps more memorable characters than most shooters, but that's in large part because they've had a lot of time to work on them. Vastly more interesting than Call of Duty, obviously, but given it's science fiction fantasy setting, they have a lot more to work with than "Angry Evil Russian #1" and "Angry Evil Russian #2".

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I actually like 3's multiplayer most (fuck the new beatdown system and armor lock), but everyone plays Reach now so whatever.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I actually like 3's multiplayer most (fuck the new beatdown system and armor lock), but everyone plays Reach now so whatever.
    2 was my favorite. 3 was actually probably my least favorite. I really like Reach too, though. The new beatdowns can be avoided if you don't want to do them. It's a matter of holding the button down or just hitting it. And the new perks can be annoying, but there's a strategy for and against every one of them.

anoffday on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm mostly in them for the single-player, and ODST was the only one that held my attention long enough to actually finish it.

It might have been due to the awesome night-vision mode the helmet had, though. Kept on thinking I was in a TRON game. :winky:

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch