As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A+ on Chemistry? 500 points for Gryffindor!

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blargh.

I do not want to work on this presentation for class tomorrow night...Argh.

How many pages of notes do I need for a 10 minute presentation?

Sassori on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck personal statements.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    pooka wrote: »
    i know these threads are filled with advice, but here's my perspective as someone who went to the closest state school because she was too lacking-in-confidence to follow up on the places that had sent information. i lived in that town for 7 years, was actually taking classes for 10 semesters (7 full-time) in that period, and commuted to finish my last semester.
    i didn't know what i wanted to study, because i was stressed out about getting the perfect major for my (unknown) perfect career -- the good thing was, i spent my first year knocking out my gen. ed. requirements, which also allowed me to become familiar with the various departments.

i eventually settled on English / film theory because i met an inspiring teacher who boosted my confidence in my talents, and really made all of us push ourselves. i wouldn't mind being published, but i'm personally unlikely to directly apply that degree to a career (ie, i regularly get paid to write film theory) -- i've figured out that i want to be a librarian, but that's normally a graduate program, anyway. it's also a career that tends to benefit from a diverse background; i know a woman with degrees in history (undergrad), interior design (grad) and library science (grad).

so, i spent all that time stressing about the perfect major to no positive effect, just my own detriment. obviously that isn't universal, but it is completely normal for people to not know their preferred career. college isn't a guarantee or the final word on a career, but it's much cheaper in the long run if you figure out what you'd like to do ahead of time or while you're there. you don't want to feel like you're wasting your time and money.

as far as money goes, do your best to get aid that never has to be repaid, for obvious reasons. but go somewhere that makes you excited to be there or excited about what you're studying, and the money you do have to repay will be worth it to you. i feel like i overpaid for my bachelor's, but i gained a lot of experiences and people which, conversely, made being there worth that investment.

if you're not set on going to university immediately, i would recommend either getting a job with full-time hours and saving money or getting a part-time job and going to community college. it can be extremely difficult for a lot of people to delay school and then go, because they're getting great hours at their job, they start a family, etc. i would say research places that you really want to go and their aid offerings, ensure it would still be available in a year, and if it's worth waiting for, dealing with your family situation, there's your answer.

also, it never hurts to ask -- if you get in good with admissions people and various other administrative types, they can make the earth move. so, if there's a place you want to go, and some deadline has passed, just ask and be informative -- enthusiasm and sincerity goes a long way. don't get too hung up on the requirements and paperwork; the college wants your money, and the nice people want to help you.

as much as getting out from under your parents' thumb is important, i'd hope you feel hopeful, excited and confident with your choice rather than just the need to escape; they chose for you to be alive, and you seem grateful for what they've done for you. don't sell yourself short.

I think I would like another year, but now that I've been accepted places my parents won't have none of that. Community College in California is a minimum of 2 years (you can't transfer after one year unless going to a private or out of state school); I'd rather not do another 2 years here. So I do have to go somewhere this year.

My parents are trying to reassure me but so long as money is concerned I don't place much stock in their advice. They have made several, several really unwise financial decisions. "Worry about it later, just do it," I think that sort of capriciousness would really end up doing me in.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Stay PuftStay Puft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Logic was p easy, then quantifier logic started and I'm all, wellp that's some shit right there.

Come on now, quantifier logic isn't that bad. Except maybe symbolization for identities, and derivations with lots of existential quantifiers.

Okay, maybe quantifier logic is that bad.

Stay Puft on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    lecturer started talkin about cosmology today, and how you can estimate the age of the universe just by taking the inverse of the hubble constant, and looking at ages of things like uranium and meteorites etc to check that it's consistent then started going on about how in one first year class some creationist complained about him "promulgating his contentious religious view" for talking about the uranium decay chain and how it can be used to date the earth

then after he talked a bit about how dumb continuing to believe dogma is when there's obvious physical evidence is there for a minute or two, he goes "oh and if I'm offending anybody please stop me I didn't intend to" and then kept going

it was pretty funny + true though

L|ama on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do I

just now

find someone that attends UCSC?

(seriously they are dragging on my fin. award letter . . .)

Attended I done gradurated

And I thought you knew I went to UCSC

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    Attended I done gradurated

And I thought you knew I went to UCSC
    the same man said.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    lecturer started talkin about cosmology today, and how you can estimate the age of the universe just by taking the inverse of the hubble constant, and looking at ages of things like uranium and meteorites etc to check that it's consistent then started going on about how in one first year class some creationist complained about him "promulgating his contentious religious view" for talking about the uranium decay chain and how it can be used to date the earth

then after he talked a bit about how dumb continuing to believe dogma is when there's obvious physical evidence is there for a minute or two, he goes "oh and if I'm offending anybody please stop me I didn't intend to" and then kept going

it was pretty funny + true though

I had a similar experience in my Astro II class. God I love Astronomy.

Hope I end up with a C in my Physics II class so I can at least take the next level courses without having to repeat this one and actually get my Astro degree before I turn fucking 40.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stay Puft wrote: »
    Come on now, quantifier logic isn't that bad. Except maybe symbolization for identities, and derivations with lots of existential quantifiers.

When in doubt modus ponens... or tollens.

Either way, lift that shit up or place that shit down.

just do something with it.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, did you like your education there?

Because I would really like to be able to have a job at the end of it all.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, did you like your education there?

Because I would really like to be able to have a job at the end of it all.

Oh yeah UCSC was great, wish I had spent my entire college career there

That's not to say that Cabrillo College wasn't great in it's own way though. Also saved me a shit ton of money

And once you graduate you can always just substitute teach, that's what I did

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah man so this thread title reminded me to check my grade for my macroecon class, and BAM!
    A+
    There was some extra credit, so I think I got >100%. One more class (strategic economics) and I'll have my MBA!

MortalToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Callius wrote: »

Yeah. Having to instantiate the same premise to different variables over and over again to get the adjunction you need to use modus ponens sucks, though.

Stay Puft on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah man so this thread title reminded me to check my grade for my macroecon class, and BAM!
    A+
    There was some extra credit, so I think I got >100%. One more class (strategic economics) and I'll have my MBA!
    Congratulations!

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. Having to instantiate the same premise to different variables over and over again to get the adjunction you need to use modus ponens sucks, though.
    What did I just say? Just lay that shit down man... ponens the hell outa' it!

[edit]Sorry... I'm just being a latin nerd here.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man, maybe I should just go to the local CC.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What did I just say? Just lay that shit down man... ponens the hell outa' it!

[edit]Sorry... I'm just being a latin nerd here.

Does...does it mean down? I was under the impression it was short for modus ponendo ponens (or something like that), which meant "the method that asserts by asserting".

This is what I get for not doing Classics.

Stay Puft on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

DE?AD and Mori and Janson all go to one in San Jose

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh that must be nice, I hear San Jose is a cool town.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Does...does it mean down? I was under the impression it was short for modus ponendo ponens (or something like that), which meant "the method that asserts by asserting".

It is short for modus ponendo ponens, which is often translated as "the method that asserts by asserting" but what it really translates to is "the placing method for the thing which will be placed."

Ponens comes from the verb "Ponere" which is "To Place"

While Tollens comes from the verb "Tollere" which is to "lift up" or "destroy" depending on context.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It is short for modus ponendo ponens, which is often translated as "the method that asserts by asserting" but what it really translates to is "the placing method for the thing which will be placed."

Ponens comes from the verb "Ponere" which is "To Place"

While Tollens comes from the verb "Tollere" which is to "lift up" or "destroy" depending on context.

Good to know. It's interesting that they're (if I'm guessing right) turning destroy into deny for MT.

Stay Puft on
  • Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I was doing really well with propositional, and I don't think I'm doing terribly now, but it's crazy how much more complicated it is to say want to say all of the ducks that are admired by mickey are silly geese than everything we did before. Though on the upside, we don't really do much more than translation in this intro course. Luckily, I'm taking Symbolic Logic next year so...short reprieve. (I actually like logic though; it's nice to go from english classes where the answers are at least a little subjective to this is the correct answer, period.)

Alchemist449 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good to know. It's interesting that they're (if I'm guessing right) turning destroy into deny for MT.
    That is really interesting.

The play between Tollere meaning "To raise up" and "To destroy" is incredible. Latin authors use this dichotomy to the fullest.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i too am gay

L|ama on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    i too am gay

I vouch for this.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Every quarter my university puts on a themed dinner in the all-you-can-eat cafeteria. Today's was a Blast From the Past, which features just pure Americana-based food. They had hamburgers, hot dogs, potatoe salad, jello, pie, root beer floats, slushies, and more.

And I gorged like Caligula himself.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm taking my first 2 at a CC. It's definitely going to save money, but you need to make sure that the credits are going to count towards whatever degree you end up pursuing. If you end up going that route, make sure you talk to an advisor to make a plan... rather than find out later you're short credits to graduate.

That or stick with your current plan... go to one of the places that you've been accepted at, and do your general studies... decide what you want to focus on while you're there. Either way, it will all work out.

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Muse, for two threads now people have been saying "it's scary it's expensive it's the harder choice but get out of dodge get out of dodge get out of dodge"

I'm not sure what you want from us given the overwhelming support for getting out of the house and going to a real college

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm just going to keep hitting my head against this desk until I get a concussion and all my problems fade away.

Nice and hazy.

Sassori on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't do it too hard, or else you'll have to clean bloodstains, and that's always a bitch.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What Kinbote said.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    But if I do it here in my office then facilities has to do it because we aren't allowed to touch bodily fluids of any kind here.

Sassori on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    colon winky colon

Squall on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Muse, for two threads now people have been saying "it's scary it's expensive it's the harder choice but get out of dodge get out of dodge get out of dodge"

I'm not sure what you want from us given the overwhelming support for getting out of the house and going to a real college

This right here pretty much sums it up.

You've got a great opportunity here. It's not going to be easy but it gives you the best shot to find out what you want to do with your life and succeed. Don't let fear and insecurity hold you back, you'll do fine as long as you work hard. Heck you almost let it stop you from applying at all!

rhylith on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    did harry potter ever sleep through a class for two months and then go in at 8 AM to write the final

because i'm doing that tomorrow

at least everything is done by saturday I guess

T4CT on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just have your Hermione bring you up to speed.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I bet Hermione took Adderall.

That jerk.

Sassori on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i don't have a hermione for this class

beginning of the term, I'm switching faculties so I only have to take three courses

"I'll do all morning courses! That way I'll be done early!"

works for monday and wednesday when I have two courses

the 8 AM course for tuesday and thursday happened for about two weeks before my body stopped giving a shit

T4CT on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Slip the professor a little love potion.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My social life is such shit. Hopefully when I go to college it'll be better.

Oghulk on
This discussion has been closed.