As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HeyU! WhoMii? YesU, WillU WiiU?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have been away from the Internet

I feel shamed

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also that video is funny. I just Googled Kung Pow - need to go watch that, methinks.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Also that video is funny. I just Googled Kung Pow - need to go watch that, methinks.

Kung Pow is deceptively hilarious. I avoided it on principle when it first hit theaters, but then caught it on a free cable weekend, and loved everything except the matrix cow.

It's the only movie where I'll still pop in the DVD every couple of months.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    Okay, now that's an "achievement"-system I could get behind. Instead of pointless points you get something that can unlock stuff in games.

Ubisoft actually does that with their Uplay system.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Okay, now that's an "achievement"-system I could get behind. Instead of pointless points you get something that can unlock stuff in games.

Ubisoft actually does that with their Uplay system.

Yeah and that works across different titles too.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some more speculation on the hardware (very misleading title)

Wii U GPU Capable of Graphics for More Than One Controller

To follow this up: Wii U To Utilize Only One Controller Due To High Cost.
    Nintendo’s new Wii U controller offers gamers an innovative new way to play games by offering them a controller with a built-in touch screen and motion control. However, the company says it will only be supporting games that use one controller because requiring consumers to purchase another would cost too much dough.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told Japanese business website Diamond Online “there’s a cost” problem in requiring consumers to buy an extra controller. That’s why the console and its games will only support the one of new flashy pieces of technology.

"Technically, it is possible for the Wii U to support multiple Wii U Controllers," said Iwata. The president also explains that Nintendo is “not planning on asking [its] customers to buy multiple Wii U Controllers."

When I got my hands on the Wii U after Nintendo’s E3 2011 press conference, my mind was reeling from the gameplay possibilities two of these zany controllers could offer together. It’s a shame the company won’t be exploring the idea further due to consumers' budgets. This raises an interesting question, however: How much would an extra Wii U controller cost?

I won't lie, this is a major buzzkill for me...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They are more interested in not losing money because people won't buy them for being expensive. I don't mind, I always have a tight budget.

RockinX on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Some more speculation on the hardware (very misleading title)

Wii U GPU Capable of Graphics for More Than One Controller

To follow this up: Wii U To Utilize Only One Controller Due To High Cost.
    Nintendo’s new Wii U controller offers gamers an innovative new way to play games by offering them a controller with a built-in touch screen and motion control. However, the company says it will only be supporting games that use one controller because requiring consumers to purchase another would cost too much dough.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told Japanese business website Diamond Online “there’s a cost” problem in requiring consumers to buy an extra controller. That’s why the console and its games will only support the one of new flashy pieces of technology.

"Technically, it is possible for the Wii U to support multiple Wii U Controllers," said Iwata. The president also explains that Nintendo is “not planning on asking [its] customers to buy multiple Wii U Controllers."

When I got my hands on the Wii U after Nintendo’s E3 2011 press conference, my mind was reeling from the gameplay possibilities two of these zany controllers could offer together. It’s a shame the company won’t be exploring the idea further due to consumers' budgets. This raises an interesting question, however: How much would an extra Wii U controller cost?

I won't lie, this is a major buzzkill for me...

I read this as "Nintendo's game design philosophy will be directed towards single-player experiences, and multiplayer experiences that do not require more than one tablet." Given that the only multiplayer Nintendo games I've played in the last few years are... um. Smashbros and Smashbros? It doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

I guess the real concern is that if Nin isn't going to blaze these kinds of trails for its own controller, who will? Unless someone develops a must-buy minigame collection with the controller as a (pricey) pack in, I can't see anyone risking development dollars on games that require more than one.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did they forget that they made Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventures?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's silly that they think people would want or have to buy more than one controller in the first place.

Here's a puzzle: I owned two Gamecube controllers for most of that system's life, but my Gamecube saw tons and tons of four player Smash Bros matches. How did I accomplish this?

Hint: it's the same way you play multiplayer handheld games

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's a pretty dodgy answer. Have the completely locked out the ability to use two controllers or is Nintendo just planning on not releasing games that will use two?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    agoaj wrote: »
    Did they forget that they made Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventures?

Nope, that's why they're saying that they're restricting a hard requirement for two controllers on their own games.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Look Nintendo, I already paid for the chairs and hookers, I can afford the controllers.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Obligatory:

215471989_GKZWD-L-2.jpg

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.next-gen.biz/news/wii-u-dev-kits-underclocked
    A Wii U white paper published by Hit Detection - the consulting company founded by former Edge columnist N'Gai Croal - claims that Wii U developer hardware does not reflect the system's true power. "Developers have underclocked development kits, and worked hard to deliver titles running on hardware to demonstrate live at E3," it reads. "However, due to titles not looking much better than what is currently available on Xbox 360 and the PS3, Nintendo decided late in the game to not show those titles and focus instead on tech demos."

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the thing is, all mutliplayer experiences that require more than one tablet could potentially just be done online. it just sucks that there might night be any local play.

then again, maybe they'll make it so you can take your uPad to a friend's house and connect it that way?

Guek on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well hopefully they just leave it up to publishers to decide if they want to put out a game that requires WiiU owners to have access to more than one wiiupad.

Most will probably just opt to do it online so that two consoles/pads are a given.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just hope they don't disable the capability. It's all well and good for Nintendo to hold off developing anything that would require multiple WiiU Tablets. But I wish the system would still support more than one. Let game developers gear things towards the online play but also say "oh, if your friend brings his tablet over, you can both use them on the same screen".

It's a fine line they'd need to walk to make sure people aren't required to purchase multiples. But still...

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Kung Pow is pretty good, moreso if you turn off the dub, and listen to what the actors were really saying.

"Do you know what my favorite breath mint is?"

*Long fight-break in the fight after a minute or so*

"Tic-tacs"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just hope they don't disable the capability. It's all well and good for Nintendo to hold off developing anything that would require multiple WiiU Tablets. But I wish the system would still support more than one. Let game developers gear things towards the online play but also say "oh, if your friend brings his tablet over, you can both use them on the same screen".

It's a fine line they'd need to walk to make sure people aren't required to purchase multiples. But still...

This is actually the best move. Leave it open. It's not required support, but, hey. Maybe some crazy dev wants to do something with multiple tablet support. Let it be in there. Let them figure out how to make it work, let them test those waters. Could be fucking awesome. Could be one of those things 75% of the market is not ready for. Who knows?

Me, I know there's a pretty strong contingent of gamers who love playing with new tech and trying to push what it can and can't do. The Wii itself got lots of good, free press from the various wizards making the motion tech do improbable things, blurring the boundaries of the system's true potential. The Kinect had that same appeal for a bunch of people, and I'm pretty sure if those gamers hadn't been gung ho about jury-rigging the kinect to a roomba to make a motion-controlled robot or the dozens of other cool ideas, Microsoft wouldn't be enjoying the Kinect success they've gotten.

If someone does something amazing with the tech, say, some addictive WiiUWare (sigh) title that can use multiple tablets and is a stinging critical success, anything could happen with that. People might be ready for multiple tablets, and Nintendo will roll with it if the demand is demonstrated.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nintendo is sending mixed messages here: they're saying on the one hand that the controller will be a little pricey, but on the other, that you won't need more than one?

If you don't need more than one, and one comes with the console, then what need is there for another?

...other than if you break it, or something, anyway. That would seem to fall under more of a repair issue, though.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nah, Nintendo's message is consistent. You don't need a second controller. If we supported two controllers, the cost of the controller would be high enough to dissuade people from getting one: a decent portion of the cost of the machine is the controller. That's one of the reasons why they're not supporting multiple controllers.

It's like Nintendo just unveiled an aquatic car, and people are pissed it doesn't fly too. It does a bunch of new things, just not the specific new things they wanted.

Seol on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    Nah, Nintendo's message is consistent. You don't need a second controller. If we supported two controllers, the cost of the controller would be high enough to dissuade people from getting one: a decent portion of the cost of the machine is the controller. That's one of the reasons why they're not supporting multiple controllers.

It's like Nintendo just unveiled an aquatic car, and people are pissed it doesn't fly too. It does a bunch of new things, just not the specific new things they wanted.

More like Nintendo have released an aquatic car with only one seat.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

One awesome seat and four ordinary seats while everyone else has four ordinary seats or one giant bench.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

One awesome seat and four ordinary seats while everyone else has four ordinary seats or one giant bench.

Dunno, the views out the windows all look the same so I wouldn't say it's particularly awesome until it drives by something interesting.

Wait, what?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

Dunno, the views out the windows all look the same so I wouldn't say it's particularly awesome until it drives by something interesting.

Wait, what?

I'm very pleased that the Wii is intended to use the old wiimotes and such. It will make transitioning to the new machine more painless for consumers. As long as some games are clearly designated as using one or both options, I see no problem. Part of the reason so many Wiis collect dust is because local four player everything is not something people typically do these days.

Play video games with others---NEVER!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought the talk of controller cost was in reference to additional controllers?

Maybe I misread/the site I read it from misinterpreted (it's been picked up by enough of them, I don't remember everywhere I've read about it).

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought the talk of controller cost was in reference to additional controllers?

Maybe I misread/the site I read it from misinterpreted (it's been picked up by enough of them, I don't remember everywhere I've read about it).
    The controller costs X to make, whether it's the initial or additional ones. If additional ones therefore have to cost X+Y at retail, and that looks prohibitive, and there's a large amount of design space using just one controller (asymmetric multiplayer particularly), then it makes sense for Nintendo to say "as far as we're concerned, this platform uses one uPad and Wii Remotes/Classic Controllers for further players".

Seol on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If the Playstation Move and Kinect made it to mass market fine, I'd assume standalone WiiU pads would be okay, too.

The way I'm reading it, the cost to make these controllers (and then have them sit on store shelves) might be prohibitive. Producing, putting together, and packaging a Wiimote or a nunchuk or even a classic controller is probably nothing compared to the construction of the WiiU ones. And what happens if people start buying single controllers expecting them to work on their own? Chaos, mayhem, destruction, etc. etc.

I do believe that reusing old Wiimotes and motion+ remotes is a smart decision. With almost 90 million Wiis out there, and over twice that many peripherals I'm sure, having that extra controller around is handy. And it'll work wonders for the continued sales of all the Wii accessories (no doubt cheap to make at this point).

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    I do believe that reusing old Wiimotes and motion+ remotes is a smart decision.

Totally. Wonder if it has have an impact when greenpeace does those 'have green are you' videogame company lists.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I seem to recall the Wii completely failing one of those power consumption tests because of Connect24.

wii-xbox360-ps3-power-consumption.jpg

Goddamn energy-sucker!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, it sucks that much power all the way from the closet?

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    good thing there was no reason to ever have connect24 on ever

oh hey cool, a community smash bros. map! that i can only play on for... one day?

Snork on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have they release any info about the specs of the WiiU yet?

Magus` on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No and they probably never will. Leaks and the eventual teardown when it is released is the best you'll get.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I do believe that reusing old Wiimotes and motion+ remotes is a smart decision. With almost 90 million Wiis out there, and over twice that many peripherals I'm sure, having that extra controller around is handy. And it'll work wonders for the continued sales of all the Wii accessories (no doubt cheap to make at this point).

Agreed.

Nintendo really need to stop teasing people with the possibility of more than one uMote and straight out say that the new controller is an extension of the Wii U and that there's only going to be one.

I've yet to hear Nintendo talk about how much you will save from being able to use Wiimotes - they really need to make people realize how much they spend on controllers and how just one Umote is a blessing in disguise as it makes Wiimotes relevant next-gen as well.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I do believe that reusing old Wiimotes and motion+ remotes is a smart decision.

Totally. Wonder if it has have an impact when greenpeace does those 'have green are you' videogame company lists.

Agreed.

Nintendo really need to stop teasing people with the possibility of more than one uMote and straight out say that the new controller is an extension of the Wii U and that there's only going to be one.

I've yet to hear Nintendo talk about how much you will save from being able to use Wiimotes - they really need to make people realize how much they spend on controllers and how just one Umote is a blessing in disguise as it makes Wiimotes relevant next-gen as well.

So much money saved switching consoles....

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, Hero of Legend over at NeoGAF has discovered something interesting:
    Just watched the streamed and the off-screen versions, and saw another improvement:

oawzma.jpg

Looks like they added more mapping on the bird and possibly better lighting.
    There's more!

4lletv.jpg

They beefed up the polygon count, look at the tail feathers. It's also a bit noticeable when the bird is up close just before it drops the flower; the wing tips are also smoother.

Plus, I could be wrong, but I think they added some sort of fur-shading, it's also a tad noticeable in the same up-close scene near the head.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well geez, the most noticeable change in the second pic is the branch shadow.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky