As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CAD] racist joke?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sentry wrote: »
    Wait... did I say Chris Rock was a hack? There's a difference between making a joke about stereotypes and having the stereotype be the joke.

Did I really need to explain that?

Exactly. This isn't a racist joke, it's just racist. Because it's nothing but a restatement of a racist idea as if that in and of itself it funny.
    "Hey guys, you know who loves watermelon?!? Black People! :lol::lol::lol:"
    I mean, it's not funny, it's just racist.

You can use racial stereotypes and the like in humor, you just have to actually create a joke around them too. But since this is CAD, actual humor is anathema so..

shryke on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "At least I know he won't steal my popcorn." would have been funnier.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's like... Buckley looked at something like Scrubs and thought they were just making actual racist jokes, so he decided to jump in and do that. When in actuality Scrubs (and those sort of jokes, of which there are many) make jokes about racism, most of the time emphasizing how ridiculous racist stereotypes are. Apparently that's too high-concept for Buckley; shooting for the moon, he landed not among the stars but just in good ol' Racistville.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not a huge fan of scrubs or race based jokes, but I lost my shit when I heard this exchange.

J.D.: Mmm, mulattos.
    Carla: They're Milanos, you idiot.
    J.D.: I always thought that was a little racist for a cookie

Deebaser on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    Wow. I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked, but it wasn't anything as blatantly racist as that. He might as well follow up with a comic about how Asian people can't drive straight because of their slanty eyes. HILARIOUS COMEDY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6y9VjTR6kI&feature=youtu.be

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of scrubs or race based jokes, but I lost my shit when I heard this exchange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH47r58X2lA

Sterling Archer: What? You're black... ish.
    Agent Lana Kane: Ish?
    Sterling Archer: Well, what's the word for it, Lana? You freaked out when I said 'Quadroon.'
    Agent Lana Kane: Imagine that!

Apparently, you guys are unable to watch any funny shows, pity.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    YOU imagine it!

Ahem. I think even Scrubs did a cut-away of the exact stereotype - the black family yelling at the movie screen. They did it over-the-top and then Turk said something like "You went to the black family yelling at the movie screen, didn't you?" JD imagining all these racial stereotypes was a running gag.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Quadroon is more of a weird historical reference than anything. And in that case, it's certainly not the joke.

The joke is that Archer is racist and doesn't see it as a problem.

It's very different from the comic just passing off a racial stereotype as an attempt at humor.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm not sure why you'd think that, unless you just skipped all the conversation.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That joke is too played out/old to be either funny or offensive, imo, even if it were well-done. /2c

Druk on
  • Options
    Jacks_ColonJacks_Colon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The way you guys are talking I thought he made some kind of slave or lynching joke. I didn't think it was funny not because of the racial line but Bukley's writing is clumsy. I also think you guys are throwing the racist label far too easily. Making a joke about race doesn't make you racist. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate CAD this isn't really one

Jacks_Colon on
    yIsJU.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shouldn't the comic end with *ZING!* and then two panels of them looking around before they leave?

Anyway, yep, bad joke.

Bad joke done many times in all forms of media.

Nothing to see here.

Move along, move along.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »
    That being said, that's comedy and you gotta find the line. You can at least give credit to Buckley for quickly pulling it and saying "I thought about this one in advance, gave it a shot and as it turned out, it didn't work at all. Really sorry, here's an alternate."

I'm not going to give credit to someone for pulling something that really offended people. That's insane. It's a normal, human response to backtrack. Now on the other hand, if Buckley were a Dickwolf things would be different.

True. But given two people, one of which who tests out a joke and then pulls it when things get dicey, the other who keeps it up and says "I don't see what's wrong with it.", I'd be inclined to be less judgmental of the former.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah here's the Brian Posehn bit I wanted to post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pynxkGO73Xs

Note how unlike Buckley's work this draws humor from subverting expectations and isn't clunky as fuck.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The way you guys are talking I thought he made some kind of slave or lynching joke. I didn't think it was funny not because of the racial line but Bukley's writing is clumsy. I also think you guys are throwing the racist label far too easily. Making a joke about race doesn't make you racist. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate CAD this isn't really one

Yeah, there's degrees. And this isn't just a joke about race, it's a racist comment portrayed as a joke. Just because it's not saying 'kill the darkies' doesn't mean it's not racist. If it had been a joke about blacks having bigger dicks, that would also have been racist.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah, there's degrees. And this isn't just a joke about race, it's a racist comment portrayed as a joke. Just because it's not saying 'kill the darkies' doesn't mean it's not racist. If it had been a joke about blacks having bigger dicks, that would also have been racist.

Basically, the big problem isn't that it was a joke about race, it's that the joke only makes a lick of sense if you actually think all black people talk at movies.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The real offense here is that Buckley is "incorporating" a minority character into his comic by have an already-existing character do blackface.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH47r58X2lA

Sterling Archer: What? You're black... ish.
    Agent Lana Kane: Ish?
    Sterling Archer: Well, what's the word for it, Lana? You freaked out when I said 'Quadroon.'
    Agent Lana Kane: Imagine that!

Man, I would've went with the "Mulatto Butts" ring tone.
    Man, I gotta get that ring tone...

Mim on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mim wrote: »

Which can now be downloaded for free from the FX site.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm possibly more offended that he had a planned back up ready to go at the drop of the hat. If you don't stand by your work, then you clearly don't care about it and you certainly don't give a shit about your audience. For fucks sake, try to create something.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    I used to go to the movie theater in DC's union station on capitol hill

It was not a quiet theater

This doesn't strike me as an especially pernicious observation. The controversy mostly seems to be that Tim Buckley doesn't really have the standing to make racial observations or humor.

He should stick with miscarriages IMO

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    I'm possibly more offended that he had a planned back up ready to go at the drop of the hat. If you don't stand by your work, then you clearly don't care about it and you certainly don't give a shit about your audience. For fucks sake, try to create something.

You are offended at the lack of quality and pride-in-work for CAD

It's like being upset that a particular Family Circus panel just phoned it in.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I used to go to the movie theater in DC's union station on capitol hill

It was not a quiet theater

This doesn't strike me as an especially pernicious observation. The controversy mostly seems to be that Tim Buckley doesn't really have the standing to make racial observations or humor.

He should stick with miscarriages IMO

I'm not going to pile on the Buckley hate any more, I think the thread's about to capsize from the quantity anyway, but I will say this.

The joke itself just feels forced. It's almost too terribly written to be offensive. I kind of feel bad for the guy who wrote it because he seems to be either trying too hard or the "but black people talk in theatres" thing was the first line that came into his head.

He really needs some kind of sounding board during his writing process because as it is his words comes across as a bizarre stream-of-consciousness thing where he runs for the joke that pops into his head immediately not allowing for any sort of gestation period where it might grow into something funny.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »

Which can now be downloaded for free from the FX site.

I love that when his mom calls later, it plays the lyric "White-ass momma!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »

You are offended at the lack of quality and pride-in-work for CAD

It's like being upset that a particular Family Circus panel just phoned it in.

Offended and surprised are two different things. I am very much one and not the other.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It was racist, but so what? Not one of the three versions was worth the effort of the electrons in my monitor to draw them.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    It was racist, but so what? Not one of the three versions was worth the effort of the electrons in my monitor to draw them.

This is how I feel. Even though I'm not Drez.

Shit. I'm just glad that there's a well-drawn black-person in a web-comic that some people read.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    Shit. I'm just glad that there's a well-drawn black-person in a web-comic that some people read.

CAD isn't well-drawn, and a robot with a black person face on it is not a black person.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

CAD isn't well-drawn, and a robot with a black person face on it is not a black person.

See, if someone wanted to make their own web comic mocking this CAD strip by featuring C3PO in black face, that might somehow manage to be funny.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SammyF wrote: »

See, if someone wanted to make their own web comic mocking this CAD strip by featuring C3PO in black face, that might somehow manage to be funny.
    Does that mean that black face is ok if the person wearing it is gay?

So many rules.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

So many rules.

Only if some of his best friends are black.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

So many rules.

Only if some of his best friends are black.

So that dude who rode shotgun in the Millenium Falcon during the Battle of Endor could wear blackface.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

This struck me as pretty pathetic too. "Oh, somebody doesn't like my joke, I'll just change it then." Fuck that, have some integrity. Did Mike and Jerry take down their dickwolf comic? Fuck no. They defended themselves despite a huge amount of backlash and stuck to their guns.

I know we shouldn't expect things like integrity from Buckley but for chrissakes, it's just pathetic.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just think it is an awful, awful joke, in both content and delivery. The racism is clear, evident, and not at all funny because, as said before, it's being delivered by a white man who writes a comic which is centered mostly on gaming. It's also not subtle in the slightest.

A well done segment on race, as written by white nerd for a predominantly white audience, would be the "Porch Monkeys" segment of Clerks 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2DxyAGzGxM
    It discusses racial stereotypes from the standpoint of a man who slowly realizes just how racist he was unintentionally being, and pisses off a few black people in the meantime. Clerks 2 is funny because it does all the things Ctrl+Alt+Delete didn't. It made a racist joke, but through a well done script, being racist wasn't the punchline, but rather, racism itself became the joke.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A long time ago I buried any expectations I would've ever had for CAD.

I suppose it's telling that the only way the comic can get any exposure is when it does hamfisted crap like this. Hell, Buckley's probably one of the people in this thread, I know he likes making dupes to create the illusion of a committed audience.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The most jarring part of that comic is that the main character's built a robot. Having read a few strips following the miscarriage arc (because people kept saying it was awful and, after reading it, I tend to agree) it is so totally baffling that that guy could build a robot.

And then I guess there's the fact that the only believable face he could find for the emotionless, silent, and obedient robot was a black face is another thing.

Those two things bothered me more than the theater remark.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2011
    I guess it is wrong to say that as a culture, the black community in America is more likely to make vocal coments in pulic gatherings, as it is something very prevalent in the black churches here and is instilled into many at a young age as something appropriate to do.

And this isn't racism, just cultural conditioning.

But yeah, the comic was stupid and unfunny.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Someone like Buckley really can't make a comic about a white guy who builds a black robot servant. That just... that is just a minefield.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    I guess it is wrong to say that as a culture, the black community in America is more likely to make vocal coments in pulic gatherings, as it is something very prevalent in the black churches here and is instilled into many at a young age as something appropriate to do.

That's not the problem. The problem is that the only way the joke is actually there is if one assumed that talking during movies is a universal trait for black people. I can't seem to think of any other way the comic could be said to contain a joke.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fluffy, I don't know what you're talking about (and to be honest, I don't think you do, either). I take it you haven't been following the comic.

Druk on