As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gothic stories for ESL students

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, basically I need a hand finding some good gothic stories for ESL students.

They need to be as short as possibly, and reasonably easy, without being childish in nature.

They can be any flavour of gothic, so basically gothic-ish is fine, as long as they can be related to the gothic genre.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
Grislo on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can you define "gothic"? Do you mean like southern gothic? O'Connor, Faulkner, Williams?

Esh on
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can't go wrong with Poe. The Raven might even be a good place to start as it is not too long. His stuff might be a little complex for ESL though, depending on the ability level.

finral on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hound of the Baskervilles

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Esh: Any gothic would do, really. My starting point is going to be Dracula/Frankenstein/The Blood Fetish, so I'll want to look a bit at things continuing along those lines, but I'm also looking at exploring other things considered "gothic", and newer stuff would be great too, for some added perspective.

I had considered Southern Gothic, but some of it might be on the more difficult side. Would probably want to go with Flannery O'Connor if I went that way, though.

Finral: Yeah, gonna walk them through The Raven and have them look at Tell-Tale heart. Tell-Tale Heart is pretty accessible, I think, if I provide a good glossary. Probably gonna show them the Simpsons Halloween Raven bit while we're doing that stuff.

Comahawk: Good idea, hadn't thought of that. Might do some excerpts from that, or something.

Grislo on
  • Options
    TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HP Lovecraft short stories. But that might be too complex.

Taterskin on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    John Bellairs' stuff is targeted at young kids, but I don't think it's too childish.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lovecraft might be tricky, from a vocabulary standpoint, but I'll look into it. Haven't heard of John Bellair, so I'll have to look at him.

Grislo on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    while not exactly gothic, english was my SL (or third..) and i have some very fond memories of seeing Roald Dahl short stories in my class.
    Specifically the one about the lighter and the finger-cutting. We got that when we were about 16 iirc...

edit: i mentioned this story because they're all pretty macabre. Not sure if they fit in your setting, but they certainly can get creepy...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The gothic literature wiki page has a good list of examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_literature#Post-Victorian_legacy

Though it doesn't state the length of the stories. If you get desperate, you could always look through each author's work.

Taterskin on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The really tricky thing right now is finding decent, not too difficult, stuff that's really short. Like, 3 pages-ish short.

People get tired of reading too many things in excerpts.

Grislo on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know, it's not HP Lovecraft, but Lovecraft related, but Robert W. Chambers King in Yellow is a book of short stories that Lovecraft used as a basis for his Hastur character. Basically, it's a bunch of short stories all tied together by a character in the story reading a play (The King in Yellow) which is some sort of maddening blasphemy, of course.

The link is from Gutenberg.org, so you can look over it and see if some are appropriate for the class.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That looks interesting, if not for them then for me, so thanks.

Grislo on