As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest On] - Aberrant: Necessary Evil

ahcobrasahcobras Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Critical Failures
Imagine the Arkham Asylum or the Vault, filled with all your favorite villains – Venom and Sinestro, Bullseye and Scarecrow, Mystique and Catwoman. Well, not them exactly - but characters like them - that's you. You're all bad guys. And you start out stuck there, because you've been bad, and you got captured by Bruce Wayne, or Clark Kent, or Peter Parker.

And then one day the lights flicker and the guards vanish and you don't know what happened. And then Doctor Doom comes in - you know, Doctor Doom, he's not just a criminal; he's the real deal, the total super-villain mastermind. He is the Microsoft of bad guys. And he offers you a deal - your freedom, if you join the resistance.

You see, it seems that some aliens have invaded the Earth and taken over. Peter and Clark and Bruce and those other guys - they're either dead or in an underground prison somewhere. While you've been festering in the Arkham Vault, the world has gone to hell in a hand basket. Things are so bad out there that they make you look like the good guys.

All you have to do is save the world. And after that? Well, one thing at a time.

The year is 2011.

The world needs heroes, even if the bad guys.

This isn't a call for recruiting; I'd rather get a sense of if people are interested in this idea. If there are 5 or so people willing to do it, then I'll invest some time into turning it into a real game...

Game system would be Aberrant, the OWoD-inspired version, as that’s what I’m familar with. Starting PL would be the standard 30 Nova Points and up to 7 points in Flaws. Characters can be flavored however you want to recreate non-mutants (Iron Man, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, etc). One major change is that Mega Strength will be dialed down to either only allowing 3 dots or making each dot worth 3 instead of 5 successes.

Obviously, this will take liberties with established characters, so if you are planning to recreate your favorite bad guy, you may not be able to make Rhino dot for dot, but a super-strong tough guy who looks like Rhino would be fine.

One side note: villians /= psychopath. Your villian may want to murder his teammates, but he’d probably want to wait until AFTER the Earth is saved. For now, he'll try to keep his raping and pillaging impulses in check.

Any questions are welcome; like I said, this is to drum up interest, not actively start recruiting just yet.

ahcobras on