As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Thread: Let's get the League back together

DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
280px-English_PokC3A9mon_logosvg.png
THIS OP HAS A RICH HERITAGE I'M NOTING IT HERE SO NOBODY SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT ME CONTINUALLY REUSING IT.

What is this place?
Welcome to the headquarters for the SE++ Pokemon League. Here, you will find our resident Gym Leaders, ample opportunity for trades and battles, and general discussion of pokemon opinions.

But wait, I don't know anything about pokemon!
You disgust me. But if you wish to learn, there are three sources:
Bulbapedia, which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: a pokemon wikipedia. Craploads of information, and fairly user-friendly. Has been somewhat slower in the wake of the release of Black/White, and each article contains a great deal of information not relevant to battling.
Serebii is another option, and probably a faster one for quick browsing of pokemon, but the guy who runs it seems really kinda weird and I don't think I like him. Serebii is generally the quickest way to look up movesets, egg moves, stats, and the like.
Finally, Smogon.. This is a bad place. It is all about competitiveness and no fun, but in the interests of giving everyone access to information, I have included it. Just let it be known that if you make use of the dark secrets and cookie cutter strategies contained within, I will disapprove.

Why would you disapprove?
Because pokemon is not about winning, or about mastery. It is about FIGHTING SPIRIT, a true bond that does not in any way resemble some kind of horrific violent slavery. Strong pokemon, weak pokemon- these are the flimsy perceptions of people. True pokemon masters try to win with their favorites.

What are our other resources?
Got the animated sprites here.
Also, high quality artwork, complete with pokedex number and both english and japanese names. Handy.
Squall wrote: »
we should probably throw together a list of dw pokemon our group has available for trade in the OP

Here's the full list of the ones released in japan

These are the DW pokemon we have:
Nidoran
Tangela
Bidoof
Vulpix
Natu
Murkrow
Gligar
Swablu
Drifloon
Omanyte
Carvanha
Dratini
Lileep
Poochyena
Anorith
Lickitung
Poliwag
Sentret
Caterpie
Stantler
Poochyena
Mareep
Hoppip
Miltank
Lotad
Ledyba
Yanma
Starly
Lickitung
Igglybuff
Ponyta
Surskit
Delibird
Doduo
Pidgey
Taillow
Carvanha
Skitty
Psyduck
Wooper
Marill
Wailmer
Relicanth
Tropius
Aerodactyl
Sunkern
Spearow
Oddish
Goldeen
Chatot
Barboach
Corsola
Pachirisu
Shinx
Slowpoke
Wooper
Lapras

Warning: Dream World pokemon may not be available from all people. Many may be in the hands of individuals who do not always check the pokemon thread regularly. Access to Dream World pokemon not guaranteed.
Note: this list is somewhat outdated, as the Dream World is available in the rest of the world now. I'm still keeping it around though, because there are some dudes on here that haven't been released in English yet I think.
EV Hotspots
attack: route one. Patrat and Lillipup both give one attack EV

sp atk: celestial tower. Litwick and Elgyem both give one sp atk EV

Speed: Surfing in a ton of different places. Route one works, it ONLY has Basculin. Basculin gives 2 speed EVs

Sp Def: Surfing in route 4 (the desert). Only Frillish. Frillish gives one Sp Def EV

def: The best option I can find it Wellspring Cave, which is 50% Roggenrolas. Roggenrola gives 1 Def EV. There might be a better place somewhere?

hp: Icirrus City, surfing, 100% Stunfisk, 2 HP EVs per Stunfisk
PqqF6.png

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE SE++ POKEMON LEAGUE?

So, with the introduction of B/W, the competitive battling community received a horrible shock: standard wi-fi battling was gone. The reasons for Gamefreak making this decision are likely unknowable and maddening, but we gotta make what do with what we got. And what we got are Flat Battles.
The hell is a flat battle?
It works like this:
- All pokemon are leveled down to level 50. They aren't leveled up, so if you have a dude at level 45 he will stay at level 45 and everyone else will be at level 50 and your pants will fall down and everyone will see your tiny penis. If your dude evolves or learns moves above 50 he keeps everything, he just gets reduced in level.
- Species Clause is in effect. The game physically will not allow two of the same species number.
- Item Clause is in effect. The game physically will not allow two of the same held item.
- Singles battles are bring 6, pick 3. Then you battle with those three. Just the three. The other three don't do fucking anything, they just watch and hop up and down and get mad that they weren't picked.
- There is a built-in banlist. See:
#150 Mewtwo
#151 Mew
#249 Lugia
#250 Ho-Oh
#251 Celebi
#382 Kyogre
#383 Groudon
#384 Rayquaza
#385 Jirachi
#386 Deoxys
#483 Dialga
#484 Palkia
#487 Giratina
#489 Phione
#490 Manaphy
#491 Darkrai
#492 Shaymin
#493 Arceus
#494 Victini
#643 Reshiram
#644 Zekrom
#646 Kyurem
#647 Keldeo
#648 Meloetta
#649 Genesect

So, how do we deal? This is how we deal:

- Until further notice, SE++ Pokemon League battles are to be Best-2-of-3 Flat Battles, with each participant having to use all six of his pokemon between games. Yes, this is not ideal. But it is better than not battling at all.

There is also the option for a Wonder Launcher, which is some kind of weird-ass way to say "You can use items in online battles". It's actually a pretty neat system, earning a point every turn, and those points being able to be spent on items like potions, heals, stat-up items, and at the very end of the scale, revives.

- Use of the Wonder Launcher is not mandatory. If you want to use it, and I recommend doing so, go ahead. If you don't, you don't have to. People who do want to use the Wonder Launcher are overruled if their opponent doesn't.

There is one more official rule:
- Don't be a dick. This is, bar none, the most important rule. View every action you take through the lens of wondering if you are a dick. Are you a dick? Cut that shit out. This is a big league. We do not need you. If nobody wants to battle with you, nobody will battle with you.
Don't be a dick.

How does the League work?
More or less exactly the way it does in the games: you beat gym leaders, acquire eight badges, and face the Champion.

- Challengers may face the League with two teams of six pokemon. Note that this does not say "a pool of twelve pokemon"- two teams of six. They can share any number of pokemon between them, and you can use just one team if you want to. These two teams are all the pokemon you can use to win your eight badges. If you want to change up your team, you'll have to earn your badges again. The limiting of teams is an attempt to make things fair for the Gym Leaders, so you can't construct a team to take out each type individually. Now, we aren't going to bother registering all the challenger teams- that's too big a hassle- so this will be on the honor system. Just know, we see all six of your pokemon before a match, and gym leaders will be discussing battles and swapping notes. I do hope you're not so pathetic that you'll cheat at an internet pokemon league to win a meaningless title, but if you abuse the leniency of the system, we probably won't want to battle with you anymore.
- While a gym leader's profile contains six pokemon, these are not the six pokemon they are limited to. Gym leaders can, without warning, change up their team however they wish, so long as they remain within their type. Yes, this is unfair. But they're also working within one type, so dammit cut them some slack.
- Gym leaders can earn badges too, if they feel like it. They can use their gym team, or another team, or do whatever the hell they want within the rules. But know this: a person cannot simultaneously be a Gym Leader and a Champion. Should you gather eight badges, you'll have to pick one or the other.
- You can earn badges of whatever type and in whatever order you wish. It's urged that you not earn doubles- like two Dark type badges- because that's kinda lame, but whatever.
- The first person to earn eight badges automatically becomes the Champion and has their preferred team enshrined in the OP.
- Any subsequent individuals to earn eight badges must challenge the Champion. The rules of Champion battles are entirely a collaborative effort between the two individuals involved, and there will be no input from the Pokemon League on how to settle the score. Best 2-of-3 flat battle? Best 3-of-5? Unrestricted 6v6, leveled to 100? It's up to you. If the two of you can't come to an agreement, the best 2-of-3 flat battle system is the default. Champion challenges must be answered. Should the challenger win, they become champion much as you'd expect they would. Should the Champion win, the challenger may not challenge them again for at least three days. Gotta let the Champion have some time at the top.
- Don't be a dick.
Don't be a dick.

GYM LEADERS

DICHOTOMY
POISON
454-1.gifth_034.gifth_049.gifth_literallydichotomythetrainer1.pngth_073.gifth_545-1.gifth_094.gif
venombadge.png
VENOMBADGE
BATTLE READY

KURIBO'S SHOE
ELECTRIC
082.gif479-c.gif523.gifdptr064.png596.gif604.gif618.gif
TECHNOBADGE

UNINTENTIONAL
FIGHTING
pQfMY.gif?3571gFR72.gif?9205Fl0IN.gif?3266Blue1.pngWzqNn.gif?5582z21Ch.gif?5651RGinN.gif?2848
pokemonbadgegarymangritPIPETEST2Trans.gif
MANGRITBADGE

SPEED RACER
NORMAL
424.gif217.gif233.gifgymleader2.gif474.gif143-1.gif626.gif
badgeh.gif
PROTOTYPEBADGE
BATTLE READY

SQUALL
ROCK
63xGV.gifAaYwD.gifpbNjW.gifWETc7.gifofxM1.gifH0UKT.gifiIyPN.gif
twrzo.png
QUARTZBADGE

GOOSE!
DARK
S3Q83.gifYOP1B.gifJ5N68.gifUQEK7.gifuHzit.gifRq6vw.gifbDDRf.gif
tKv8X.png
DARKSIDEBADGE
BATTLE READY

FRIEND CODES

Dichotomy: 4255 2831 6836
Kuribo's Shoe: 4555 9233 8336
Nirya: 2537 3094 8592
Speed Racer: 1291 7565 5533
drp527: 1978 9812 2493
Goose: 0303 9357 8384
silence1186: 2021 9037 2198
Halos Nach Tariff: 4512 9821 6730
Spoit: 2365 5081 5807
Langly: 5243 2130 3742

0BnD8l3.gif
Dichotomy on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, DW takes a long time when it doesn't error you out after every other minigame.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was gonna make a post proclaiming that I'd be doing a lot of pokemon battling this weekend because I'll be at my parents' house away from more demanding distractions

butt

I forgot that the router at my parents' house is WPA and I do not have a DSi

that is my [strike]excuse[/strike] story

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gotta tuck em all (in)

Goose! on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what does it take to make a gym, and would i even want to (i have my water gym from school)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think all you need to do is PM dich. Actually doing stuff like battling or even training one seems to be optional

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh ok, I have a trained team but no trainer/badge

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just go to bulba and copy a sprite you like

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    totes be misty

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I need to get off my ass and do some breeding. Only done ONE 'mon from Gen5 so far. :(

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've now got a fully trained fighting team done. It's not very good but that's hardly the point. Maybe I should draw up a sprite and be a gym leader?

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    maybe I could do a gym

fire would be interesting

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, the Elite 4 are all 70+ now. Where do I go to get ready for that? I guess complete the lap towards Black City?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yes

the sports domes are also good

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    cybrid81cybrid81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are also trainers in the sports domes with level 60+ Pokemon you can fight daily.

cybrid81 on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I heard the sports domes were good for training.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm hearing Sports domes over here?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Same situation re: endgame but not strong enough for the Elite 4.

If I'm not worried about trashing my money supply, is it reasonably fast to just break pokemon on the Elite 4 over and over again, assuming I can kill some before cashing in the one or two dudes who can put up a fight against them?

CowShark on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i gave kyurem ice beam and shadow ball and made him sweep them for me
    first couple times it took a ton of items
    now it takes none for cloyster/volcarona

unintentional on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just found the Kanto Team Rocket guy from Gold/Silver in Icirrus City. Had a good laugh at him settling down.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think all you need to do is PM dich. Actually doing stuff like battling or even training one seems to be optional

(ΘεΘ;)

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    does anyone want to battle

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    god fuck the elite four in this game. is there any good place to level past 50 that ISN'T victory road and the sports domes? because i can only do sports stuff so many times per day and it's really fucking hard to level anything that isn't super effective against durants in victory road

Snork on
  • Options
    cybrid81cybrid81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Audinos in the Giant Chasm, Black City if you're on Black, and the Riches and Cynthia in Undella town if you haven't fought them yet.

cybrid81 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    have you done all of the post game routes, starting from the east gate of opelucid?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I found Heatmor on the outside areas of Victory Road to be easier than anything on the inside

Being pure Fire, they're not particularly hard to beat, and they give over 1k exp each I believe

Of course, this is assuming you're talking about before the first time beating the E4, if you mean for the rematches then fighting high level Audino or anything on the routes in the eastern portions of the region (east of Opelucid and so on) are much better options

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    catch volcarona
    sweep the entire elite 4 and alder

get paid

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    hmm

would rock head or sturdy be better for a rock polish aggron

probably sturdy

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Galvantula does that for me

it's nice that pretty much everything dies to thunder in one hit

got bug buzz for that krookodile

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    have you done all of the post game routes, starting from the east gate of opelucid?

i haven't beaten the elite four yet. that would be why i'm trying to level past 50 in the first place

Snork on
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    just started on black so i can do matches against my cousin. should i be worrying early on (lvl 30-40) about which moves i forget and which moves I keep? I am always getting rid of moves that don't damage, such as leer, tail-whip, etc.

Reginald on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    nah, you can always get some heart scales and remember stuff later in the game

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    leer and tail whip aren't really worth it. moves that harshly lower stats (screech, metal sound) can be somewhat useful against npcs, but they only last as long as the opponent lives, and against a human opponent who is smart enough to switch out their pokemon, all they can really do is encourage switching

self-boosting moves, on the other hand, are generally more useful (although setting up for a sweep isn't as effective when your opponent is an NPC with two pokemon). again, though, you generally want to go for sharp boosts or moves that raise two or more stats. swords dance > howl

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    does anyone want to battle

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    sure, but you might not be available anymore

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'll see you on

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ok
    it's show 6 choose 3 right?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yes

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ok i'm in the wifi club room if that is the place to go

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    it's the middle attendant

did you add my code

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yeah, i'll try leave and reenter

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
This discussion has been closed.