As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP IC] Vanguard Tower

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Helwig howls as he strikes the visible scout in front of him, "Get your cowardly friend to come out of hiding and your life might be spared."

Stat/Init
    Helwig 21
    HP 40/50, ; Bloodied 25
    AC 17, Fortitude 20, Reflex 14, Will 13 PP +11 PI +11

Duergar Scout
    HP 7; Bloodied 24 BLOODIED
    AC 18, Fortitude 18, Reflex 16, Will 16 Perception +9

Duergar Scout1
    HP 40/48; Bloodied 24 INVISIBLE

Tavaros 17
    HP: 45; Bloodied: 22
    AC: 19, Fort 15, Ref 17, Will 18, PP +17, PI +17
    Resist 7 Fire

Owein 11
    HP 24(I think?)/38 Bloodied 19
    AC 17 Fortitude 13 Reflex 18 Will 18 PP 13 PI 13

Crylin 11
    HP 53; Bloodied 26
    AC 21, Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 5 PP 12 PI 12

Eison 7
    HP: 28/32; Bloodied: 16
    AC: 20, Fort 17, Ref 13, Will 18, PP 15, PI 20

Scouts turns

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Scout1 is invisible but adjacent to Crylin. He is going to shift away - will you use Blurred step, Crylin?

Squints on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If he's shifting out of K8, I'll shift into it.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The invisible Scout takes a few quiet steps - but he cannot hide his thoughts from the battlemind, who steps into the spot he just vacated. A bolt flies from the space towards the barbarian, digging into his flesh. The Scout appears soon after. The other scout circles around Crylin, trying to attack him from behind - but misses!
    Scout1
    Move: Shift to J9 - Crylin shifts into K8.
    Standard: Xbow vs Helwig: 1d20+9+2 22 - 2 for being marked = 20 vs AC. Hit for : 1d8+5 8 plus Shadow Attack bonus damage: 4d6 16. 24 total damage to Helwig.
    Scout 1 appears in J9.

Scout
    Standard: MBA vs Crylin: 1d20+9+2 19 Miss!

Map:
    2S6XAze7PiD3DvoR_KfQf1kxG0upm1WgicYE3Z_xL1Rzz19ExG1hW3u2UJ0Qsdp6Cqif5gxGcchX8fMzlq8_-G8Zzg=s512

Init:
    Helwig 21
    HP 16/50, ; Bloodied 25 BLOODIED
    AC 17, Fortitude 20, Reflex 14, Will 13 PP +11 PI +11

Duergar Scout
    HP 7; Bloodied 24 BLOODIED

Duergar Scout1
    HP 40/48; Bloodied 24

Tavaros 17
    HP: 45; Bloodied: 22
    AC: 19, Fort 15, Ref 17, Will 18, PP +17, PI +17
    Resist 7 Fire

Owein 11
    HP 24(I think?)/38 Bloodied 19
    AC 17 Fortitude 13 Reflex 18 Will 18 PP 13 PI 13

Crylin 11
    HP 53; Bloodied 26
    AC 21, Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 5 PP 12 PI 12

Eison 7
    HP: 28/32; Bloodied: 16
    AC: 20, Fort 17, Ref 13, Will 18, PP 15, PI 20

And no I realize the Scout is gonna get Mind Spike-d. Fuuuuuu

Tavaros
    Owein
    Crylin

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ignored by the scout as he attacks Helwig, Crylin focuses on the Duergar whose eyes seem to blacken as he clutches his head screaming!
    Immediate Reaction: Mind Spike on Scout 1. He takes 24 damage to 16 (Bloodied).

Oops. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tavaros' eyes gleamed when the scout reappeared. "Ah, there you are, you cowardly worm. Now, watch as I disappear!" Tavaros sent tendrils of thought into the scout, searching for the right sense to disrupt. Seeing a lead, he quickly focused, and...

The scout continued to glare at him. Tavaros moved a few feet to the right. The scout's eyes moved to the right. Tavaros moved in the other direction. The duregar's gaze tracked him to the left as well. Tavaros sighed. So much for that plan. He quickly tried another tactic, fine-tuned from years of dealing with mobs of unhappy audiences. "I will have you know that that was a fluke, sir. However, I promise you that if you attempt to harm me, you will see a true manifestation of my power. Step back, sir, and save yourself." Normally, this would be where a particularly enterprising peasant mob would believe him to be bluffing. He hoped the Duregar were as easy to trick.
    Standard: Memory Hole on Scout 1: 1d20+7: 9 MISS
    Move: to J8

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Owein peeked around the corner and saw his opening. He swept around the corner and launched himself off the pile of rubble, swinging his staff around with a flourish at the scout.
    Move to L6
    Sly Flourish on Scout, flanking with Hedwig
    Sly Flourish vs AC (CA): 1d20+13 30 1d8+9+2d8 16 HIT! DEAD! ...despite rolling some 1s on the damage dice.

The staff came down and cracked the duergar's head open. As the scout fell, Owein's gaze settled on the last one, death reflected in his black eyes.

NEXT
    Crylin
    Eison

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    With the death of one scout, Crylin turns his attention to the final remaining one. Moving closer to the stairs to cut off the scouts escape, he prepares to finish him off but stumbles into the stairs and falls to his knees, completely missing the Duergar.
    Move: Shift to J8
    Standard: Shade Strike vs AC: 1d20+12 13 1d8+6 14 - Crit Miss

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Eison will use Healing Word on Helwig, letting him use a surge a get a : 1d6 4 bonus.

((Sorry, don't have tons of time right now!))

Helwig
    Scout

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Pressing Strike shift to K10 Helwig misses with his attack and curses Kord.

((Same))

Scout

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2011
    The scout, surrounded by enemies and without a path out, surrenders. He drops his warhammer down on the floor next to his crossbow. "I yield," he grumbles, disappointed in himself.

Squints on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Owein draws himself up slowly, looking down at the dwarf through cold, black eyes. He grips his staff with both taloned hands, and he just glares.
    Aid Tavaros with Intimidation:
    Aid Tavaros Intimidate: 1d20+6 20
    Success! Tavaros gets a +3 bonus to his Intimidate check.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Helwig began digging the crossbow bolts out of his flesh, staring at the scout and growling, seemingly ready to pick his axe back up and find out what he needs to know on his own.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Seeing the Duregar drop his weapon, Tavaros grinned. Finally, they could get information. Information that was sorely lacking at this point. Let's see, they mentioned "it," which could be treasure, maybe he should ask about that. On the other hand, he should find out where the Beholder was. Plus, he wanted to find out exactly when the miners had made camp in the tower. Seeing the creature cowering before the glaring Kenku, Tavaros stepped up.
    "I assure you, you have made the right decision, sir. Your companions, well, they were not so wise." He grinned, though there was no reassurance in his features. "I trust you will continue to exercise good judgement; I assure you my companions and I," he drew his sickle, "will show an equal amount of restraint in return." Tavaros considered what he should ask first. He figured he'd start with the easiest and most pressing. "Now, if you would be so kind as to inform us as to the location and number of the rest of your, ah, group?"
    Intimidate Check: 1d20+10+3: 27
    EDIT: With the +2 from Helwig, it becomes 29

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The scout raises a brow at those staring him down and not talking to him. Finally, the Tiefling approaches. He tilts his head curiously at the question, "My group is on the floor and dead, if that's what you mean. If you were referring to the rest of 'em in this tower, we have nothing to do with them."

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Seeing the fight go out of the remaining creature, Crylin peers up the stairs searching for any other dangers. Over his shoulder he asks, puzzled, "Nothing? Why are you here then? And who are "they"?"

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "The thieves took from us. The Beholder promised to allow us to find our treasures if we stayed on the first floor while they went further up. I don't know anything else."

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crylin turns around quickly, "Treasures?"

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As the Revenant continued to question the Duregar, Tavaros stared at the stairway, watching for any enemies who might investigate the commotion. "How far up do you suppose they went?"

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Duregar squints his eyes at Crylin, "Yes. We were told thieves that stole from us used this tower as their headquarters. There is a chance our things are still here."

((DrDinosaur, you can roll a dungeoneering check if you wish))

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crylin eyes the remains of the miner's activity, "And you think they... buried it? Under their tower? What was it?"

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dungeoneering: 1d20+4:7

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "What happened to the thieves? Is there any concern they may return, or have they been dealt with?" Helwig puts the axe head on the ground and leans on the haft. "I'm ready to spill more blood. Tell me who's further up the tower or you'll be the only donor available."

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Tavaros thinks the tower is around 20 stories tall.

The scout considers Crylin's question, "They told us a stinking Dwarf built this tower, and this was his floor. He was a master of elemental magic, or so they said. Apparently he kept his valuables under rock."

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crylin eyes the progress the miners had made but it doesn't look like there is any rhyme or reason to it, "Well did you find anything?"
    Dungeoneering: 1d20+2 7

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crylin also thinks the tower is 20 stories tall.

"I'm sure we would have, if we weren't interrupted," he says with a sneer.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crylin loses interest in the scout and walks over to where one of the miners was digging and pokes around the area.
    Ready to proceed if everyone is done with the scout.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yup, let me know when you guys are ready to move to the next floor.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Looks like Kord decided to let you out of this one alive. Leave your weapon and consider your life a blessing."

Owein makes sure the guy isn't going to do something stupid, then is ready to go.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tavaros looked back at his group, and the dejected Duregar. "Well, by my estimate, we've got quite a lot of tower to climb." He bowed to the prisoner. "Thank you for your help. I trust you will not do anything foolish."
    I'm ready to continue.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Helwig sneered at the scout and lifted his axe, pointing the head, "You're lucky my blade only thirsts for the blood of warriors, not weaklings, or I'd have your tongue for that stinking Dwarf comment." He turned and looked at the stairs, "I hope the next floor of this tower has a better challenge."
    Ready

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Short Rest:
    Declare any spent surges and new HP values

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The party heads up the stairs, leaving behind numerous riches and a Duergar. Numerous hisses echo though the halls of this level of the tower. Sunrods placed along the western and eastern walls illuminate the hall.

Map:
    p_q6FYMv-UmAHJTrsY9bS7GcxmQhpPG0xaKJYduGbshOFZ56DWgDmp1VqH3sPNmkbKuI-tJEXWaHlTwLdizfy7F_YQ=s512

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Owein spends 1 surge, leaving him at 33/38 with 4 surges remaining.

After being ambushed by invisible scouts on the last floor, Owein is more than happy to let his companions enter the room while he watches their backs.

Stealth: 1d20+13 33

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tavaros climbed the stairs, emerging into a well-lit room. He moved forward, peeking around one corner, then the other.
    Move to B6, then to B3
    Stealth: 1d20+5: 23

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crylin quietly slips into the shadow of the right wall.
    Move to B3
    Stealth: 1d20+3 20

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spend three surges to get to 50/50. 8 remain.
    Move to A3 Stealth check of 17

Helwig moves into the room surprisingly silently for him, and stands to the side of his Superdudes, wanting extra space in case he needs to get a running start at someone.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Eison will use a out-of-combat heal on Owein, giving him an extra : 1d6 4 health - 37/38.

A cobra tries to slip by you, but fails (: 1d20 12).

A quick glance downward shows several large snakes writhing on the floor. They crawl over broken stone, cracked glass, and other broken belongings of those who once lived here.

Roll initiative.

Map:
    JxWaT8N3URtz-WKZiOTfmiJCJcE2fDooOJwQkd1R5n2Cd3HGozOBjzP76wyEyEMdp0B8G6wDMvKYfT7dJxBfsleJ7A=s512

Squints on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Initiative: 1d20+6 9

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?