As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SPACE MARINE - In the grim darkness of the future, there are only BIG MEN

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    wait I got it! sweet

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Thanks for posting the Honour Guard demo. Works on UK Steam even though the game still isn't shown on the store.

This game is seven different kinds of delicious winsauce. They took my childhood fantasies of a 40k computer game and made it real.

Many hours shall be spent grinning like an idiot/madman/zealot whilst I cut swathes through xenos and heretics alike!

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Somebody in the comments section on the latest Slotaku article for Space Marine said the demo was so awful and repetitive that they promptly canceled their pre-order.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The demo was a fucking blast. Once I got my controls down. There is a combo system it seems. Minimal but it exist. Especially with the stuns. Tons and tons of fun. Shame the ps3 one comes out when I fly off to PAX so no comparison till get home.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    At first I was really hating it, then the controls clicked and I started enjoying it. Then I figured out that reload detonated the grenades and started having a blast.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Somebody in the comments section on the latest Slotaku article for Space Marine said the demo was so awful and repetitive that they promptly canceled their pre-order.

5 bucks says that they got their assholes ripped open by the first nob they ran into and promptly ragequit.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

No shortage of bad opinions on the internet it seems :P

@TOGSolid: No doubt.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    At first I was really hating it, then the controls clicked and I started enjoying it. Then I figured out that reload detonated the grenades and started having a blast.

Also if you kill an Ork that has a grenade on him that's not gone off yet, it'll explode when he does. I found that out face first.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    SJ wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

Also if you kill an Ork that has a grenade on him that's not gone off yet, it'll explode when he does. I found that out face first.

This happened to me with the first nob, I realized mid execution.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Someone either completely forgot to do any executions or they didn't bother going for the attack combos.

Also, some people are just lame.
    Morkath wrote:

That could have been more obvious, I think, but yeah now I have fire/slash/alt-slash/execute/reload bound to mouse buttons I think everything will become a lot smoother.

P.S. Miracle of miracles the game plays at usable size/detail/frame-rate on my old-ass C2D! So happy I can now go pre-order on steam with confi..oh, wait, still not in the UK Steam store. o_O

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    The one question I have about the demo (other than the standard "how long is the full game", "will there be more than one jump pack section" and "why isn't this game out now") is that there doesn't seem to be any reason to use the bolt pistol compared to the bolter.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    SJ wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

I can top that, I fired 6 grenades into the first group of orks you encounter, then couldn't figure out how to explode them before they got to me, so I started melee'ing. I did the 3 hit wave combo that killed 3 of them, which set of their grenades which set off the other 3 which proceeded to kill me. =/

lawn: It has infinite ammo. I ran out of bolter ammo several times in the first level, since I was focusing on ranged.

Morkath on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    SJ wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

I can top that, I fired 6 grenades into the first group of orks you encounter, then couldn't figure out how to explode them before they got to me, so I started melee'ing. I did the 3 hit wave combo that killed 3 of them, which set of their grenades which set off the other 3 which proceeded to kill me. =/

lawn: It has infinite ammo. I ran out of bolter ammo several times in the first level, since I was focusing on ranged.

Yeah, I figured that was the intended advantage, to make up for the smaller clip, but I've yet to run out of ammo for the bolter yet.

Two reasons for this may be that I'm not playing on hard and I'm usually focused on melee except when I'm sniping.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    I'm debating waiting up till midnight to get the 360 demo.

Assuming it comes out midnight, EST. *crosses fingers*

Anyone have any ideas there? When do demo's usually hit XBL?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    The one question I have about the demo (other than the standard "how long is the full game", "will there be more than one jump pack section" and "why isn't this game out now") is that there doesn't seem to be any reason to use the bolt pistol compared to the bolter.

Style. Also maybe the full version will make it so you can't magically switch between bolter and melee.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Game feels pretty amazing on PC (Just runs super smooth and such) though I'm still using a 360 controller with it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Also, just ran through the first demo level on hard. Man that last fight. You have to play dance the nob when the two of them come out. Things take you down in 3 hits. Also accidentally found the power ax there. Its kills make the chain sword look like a nerf bat. Seriously, one of them you stick it in the orks head kick them in the stomach as you rip it out, ork head included.

God that last fight on hard was nuts. I used a good 100+ rounds of bolter ammo, all my grenade launcher ammo and even a few shots of the sniper to finish off a few shooters. Also all my grenades and was constantly killing things with 0 down time.

This game is made of awesome.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Total biscuit just released a WTF is for space marine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb50aAFiOpM&feature=youtu.be

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    I'll admit, I had all but written this game off.

Then I played the demo.

Holy shit, it's a good game. I neeeeeeeds it.

• Options
    You know a game is good when the reviewer dies after the first hard enemy and upon respawning says 'God, this combat is brilliant!'

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    My god the combat is glorious.

Absolutely glorious.

Sold a hundred times over.

-Hell, I died horribly several times in a row on that first bit and I was absolutely delighted because it just felt so right.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Man, the first part when I was figuring out the controls I died a lot. Then got it going and was fun. The fights on normal and hard were omg. They were fucking amazing. I am seriously thinking of playing the battles again. For the 3rd time through both. Jesus, damn it Relic being awesome.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:

5 bucks says that they got their assholes ripped open by the first nob they ran into and promptly ragequit.

I agree.

Also I won't name names, but I remember recently I was drinking with some devs and we were talking about Space Marine. A former THQ guy with some undefined connection to the project tried to tell us that it wasn't very good. Having played the game at E3 I respectfully disagreed with him. The guy was really nice, so I won't say anything bad about him, but it was probably just something not in line with his tastes.

Oh on an unrelated is anybody else slightly saddened by the removal of the upgrade system for your weapons?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    There's going to be a horde mode. They will be good.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Can't seem to click the download demo button on steam.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    'Course you can't, Steamworks plebs can't download the demo.

http://www.spacemarine.com/Demo

Register, login, then hit the link again for your unique key.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    We talked about this on the last page, you have to get it via the honor guard thing

• Options
    The last page is Heresy. This page is the future.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    The future is heresy, heretic

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote:

I agree.

Also I won't name names, but I remember recently I was drinking with some devs and we were talking about Space Marine. A former THQ guy with some undefined connection to the project tried to tell us that it wasn't very good. Having played the game at E3 I respectfully disagreed with him. The guy was really nice, so I won't say anything bad about him, but it was probably just something not in line with his tastes.

Oh on an unrelated is anybody else slightly saddened by the removal of the upgrade system for your weapons?

...the guy was shit talking a game he had worked on before it released? And he is still employed even if not at THQ?

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I'm glad they made this game difficult, it emphasize that the 40k universe hates you and wants to kill you, and that your powers as a Space Marine are absolutely necessary.

Kinda wish they chose another chapter, though. I like Blood Ravens for the 40k video games. They actually have a good background and are more than 'that video game chapter' they started off as.

• Options
    Morkath wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:

I agree.

...the guy was shit talking a game he had worked on before it released? And he is still employed even if not at THQ?
    The extent of what he said was, "It isn't very good." and further more it was not like he was saying it to the public, this was a bunch of industry folks drinking. Though if I see him again I'll make a point to ask him if he did not mean Kill Team cause I could imagine him mishearing what we were talking about, and mentioning that game because it is notably "less good" than Space Marine.

• Options
    Do those single-player skins work with the demo?
    Wait, what am I saying? That's all anyone outside Relic has right now.
    Gonna go get me some proppa kit and go back in.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    Total biscuit just released a WTF is for space marine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb50aAFiOpM&feature=youtu.be

best review ever. his glee is infectious.

• Options
    Man, shame we can't put a link to said skins in the op. Since the guy is banned.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Man, shame we can't put a link to said skins in the op. Since the guy is banned.

PM Echo and get him to do it, he's from Europe I believe, and I am pretty sure they are required by law to help Warhammer in any way needed.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Man. Their webpage did not care for Chrome. Had to register with IE, then I had to hit the demo link like 3 times before it gave me a code. Perhaps it was still processing my account.

• Options
    So.
    Is this the greatest game or the greatestestest game?

Went and DL'd the Space Wolf skin, and decided to try Space Wolf tactics (ie charge in and smash faces) entirely eschewing the grenade launcher. Fucking epic! Especially once I got the power axe (a more space wolfy weapon is hard to imagine, unless it was a power chainaxe) and started in on the spins and axe-head-boot executions.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wait, you have a bolter? I've just been Blood Clawing it through everything.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Oh goddamn I hate the new forums.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.