As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THOR: With Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood...

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heimdal was rad. Like for a guy with maybe two minutes of screen time, he really made an impact.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seriously, I am confused by the negativity. This is pretty much exactly what a Thor movie should be. The cast was ridiculously well suited to their roles and they actually made the near-classic 616 Thor make some damn sense in their Marvel movie line up.

Man the thing I don't get is the guys calling it incoherent. I walked out of the theater praising how well everything fit together and how easily understandable it felt.

Also yes, it does say something about a movie where you root for Loki for half the movie. It says Loki isn't some card carrying evil guy. Everything Loki does is very human. I came out of the film feeling like he didn't have a plan past "get thor banished" until his father fell into the Odin sleep. Then he let his jealousy and bitterness get the best of him.

Oh, and you seriously misread the movie if you thought the Frost Giant King was THE bad guy. It was pretty obvious from the beginning that he was nothing more than a McGuffin for Odin, Loki and Thor to fight about.

What I was trying to get at when I mentioned about Loki, Thank you kind sir. It was really the only film ive seen in a long time that actually gave a lot of purpose to the actions of characters. In particular the scene;
    Where Odin tells Loki his true origin was a favourite of mine

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Regarding Loki:
    I'm not sure what the whole "he's really a Frost Giant" twist had to do with anything. His plan was already in motion before he knew about that, so it's not like there was any need to provide more motivation. Is it just a thing we need to know about Loki for future plots involving him?

Loved the film, nonetheless.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Regarding Loki:
    I'm not sure what the whole "he's really a Frost Giant" twist had to do with anything. His plan was already in motion before he knew about that, so it's not like there was any need to provide more motivation. Is it just a thing we need to know about Loki for future plots involving him?

It's what finally drove him over the brink from mischief maker (which is why he let the first giants in - he just wanted to screw up Thor's coronation) to full blown super-villain. Now he'll do anything to destroy Thor in Odin's eyes, including attacking the world Thor has sworn to protect just to see him fail.

Frankly, I thought the movie paid for itself in the first five minutes - the view of Asgard, the frost giant war, all the fantastic effects, and the journey into Jotunheim... a visual bonanza. Thor vs. the frost giants was everything I'd hoped to see.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Regarding Loki:

Loki being a frost giant is part of Norse mythology, and thus a part of the marvel characters mythology. It wasn't super neccassary towards the plot of the movie, but it does help add to his feeling of never measuring up to his brother in his father's eyes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really dug this movie, I'm a huge fan of Thor and I really enjoy stories about the conflict between Loki and the rest of the Asgardians. I think Loki really stole the show by being basically right all the time, the poor little asshole.

Also, one of the few superhero movies to treat a female lead even remotely like she was worth filming.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Regarding Loki:

Loki being a frost giant is part of Norse mythology, and thus a part of the marvel characters mythology. It wasn't super neccassary towards the plot of the movie, but it does help add to his feeling of never measuring up to his brother in his father's eyes.

That part made me love Odin.
    I mean, he was doing the right thing (trying to raise sons without favortism or bias) AND had a gigantic multiverse-affecting gambit going at the same time. It's exactly the sort of thing an All-Father should be doing. Now, even though it screwed up in the end, it doesn't mean that it wasn't worth a shot: had Loki not been a petulant little fucker and Thor an arrogant jagoff, he could've put both of his sons on the throne of seperate worlds and guaranteed long-lasting peace.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I took my father to see Thor on Saturday, and we both came away feeling it was well worth the money. Personally, I really feel that Marvel did a smart thing in not making it a giant action movie. By making the center of the plot the story of two brothers, Thor and Loki, Marvel gave a very easy, human motivation to allow the movie to revolve around. This, I feel, will make the movie a lot easier for the casual audience to follow. Likewise, it humanized Thor so that people will still be interested in the character when it comes to the Avengers movie and a Thor sequel.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I heard a horrible rumor that enchantress wasn't in this movie.

Is this true?

rockrnger on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As a comic book casual fan, but not really a static reader of anything, and having zero background on Thor (Although didn't they clone an evil one in Civil War or something?)I enjoyed it. I thought the middle dragged on for a while (sort of like the camping in Harry Potter. Watchable, but was eager to have them actually get somewhere) but overall it was enjoyable and the plot was cohesive. Plus they sold me on how Thor would work in the real world. He's just a guy from another dimension and they have fancy dimension bridges.

Definitely would have liked the middle to go faster. Not as good as Iron Man, but solid enough to keep me super excited for the Avengers movie.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Grislo wrote: »
    No, I was expecting a good action flick, or a good superhero flick, but it felt extremely formulaic - which, yeah, is to be expected.

It was everything you'd assume it to be, but nothing more.

Much like Iron Man, it's only good in character moments (of course, Iron Man is often very good in those, and so is Thor at times. Very good cast). The CGI action scenes are just not interesting in any way, and it hardly scores points in exposition scenes.

The lighter character scenes work best, I think, but some of the scenes between Thor and Odin are great too, as is Loki.

I was fairly impressed that they, for the most part, managed to avoid being overly campy, which was a real risk. There were a few moments
    Thor's friends walking through town
    that strayed a little too close to Masters of the Universe territory, but mostly they managed to dodge that bullet.

That campy part had to be intentional. It was just too awesome.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, they probably realized that they had to embrace that part of it.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    area wrote: »
    Last aside - seeing Stringer Bell as a uncorruptable Asgardian god was weird.

Yeah...I had that same feeling the first time I saw him with his deeply accented voice (though, closer to his actual voice than the Stringer Bell character, since he's British) and crazy eyes.

I can't say I understand how people knew what they were getting with this movie and were still disappointed in the end. Compared to just about every other character in comics, even Thor is ridiculous. He's a guy who thinks he's a god (or is one, whatever) and he has to fit in to the real world. His speech patterns alone could ruin the movie with their utter cheesiness if they're left to run wild or aren't part of the humor of the film. They did a great job inserting actual comedy into an action movie that could have been a complete cheesefest if they did it wrong.

My only real complaint was that I wish the fight scene with The Destroyer had been more drawn out and brutal, if only because The Destroyer is a complete beast in the comics and is pretty much indestructible, even by guys like Thor and Hulk. I realize they probably cut it short because they wanted a long fight with Loki and the frost giants at the end, but more would have been nice.

That's really my only complaint though. Great movie. Can't wait for The Avengers next May. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone get the feeling that there were some scenes cut between Thor and Sif? Either that, or they were being remarkably subtle about
    her unrequited love for Thor.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought they were just outright ignoring it for the film.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dunno, I definitely got the impression it was there in a couple scenes.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    I dunno, I definitely got the impression it was there in a couple scenes.

Whether it was in the script or not, the actress was clearly playing it as if it were the case. I think the payoff on that got left on the cutting room floor.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Saw it today, thought it was very good, I could see this not being a film for some people since it wasn't exactly an explosion packed action movie and it had it's own style that might not go overall as well as some would like but I found it was better then I expected. It pretty much stayed true to the comics and followed everything as best it could have, the characters were enjoyable and the storyline was very well done, ironically the weak link in the movie I felt to be Anthony Hopkins performance. He came off as a very tired old man to me, granted Odin was suppose to be exactly that but he still felt like a bad pick to me.

Cade on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Anthony Hopkins has transcended to the level where his mere presence will distract me from a movie, no matter the quality of his performance.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Stringer Dall was my favorite part of the movie, that voice made me think "don't piss off the gatekeeper guy". Also cool hats.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anthony Hopkins has transcended to the level where his mere presence will distract me from a movie, no matter the quality of his performance.
    Ditto. I see Anthony Hopkins, not the character he's playing.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one who didn't like Loki's portrayal? He didn't come across as a trickster, instead he came across as a bitter wanna-be. Instead of enjoying his abilities at deception and misdirection, he seemed to resent having to rely on those things.

Besides that, I enjoyed the movie.

Lochiel on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well that is because Loki in this movie is at the beginning of his arc. They did a very nice job of making Loki not a mustache twirling villain like he comes across in the comic books. Too often there he is fucking with people because he's a dick because he is fucking with people because he's a dick because he is fuc- you get the idea.

The whole movie did a very good job of making otherwise inexplicable actions seem more human. Odin benefited from this quite a bit as well.

Don't worry, I expect Loki to be pretty much on comic book level by Avengers.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes this is pretty much Loki's descent as it were into evil, Thor said he was known for mischief but would not do anything wrong himself. Being in Thor's shadow, feeling like Thor was better then he was, having Thor ready to become King instead of him and then finding out he was a half breed on top of all that and he was never told the truth pretty much pushed him over the edge. He still loved his father, his family and that even includes Thor but he's in that dark little place where he feels the need to show he can be better, smarter, get the best of them. That leads him down his dark path.

Now if you say well what about all the stories of him already having been bad ages ago and they look at books about Thor and Loki then I can only say......a wizard did it.

Also if they follow the comic at all there is some anger over Sif wanting Thor instead of Loki as well.

Cade on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lochiel wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't like Loki's portrayal? He didn't come across as a trickster, instead he came across as a bitter wanna-be. Instead of enjoying his abilities at deception and misdirection, he seemed to resent having to rely on those things.

Besides that, I enjoyed the movie.

To be fair, even in the traditional norse myth's he's still a God - with all the superhuman power and strength that entails. There's definitely a couple of legends where him and Thor get involved in drinking games against giants that are won as much through brute strength as cunning (think he loses an eating contest to the embodiment of Fire at one point, and once fished up a whale in a fishing contest)

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I actually liked that Loki had only planned so far as getting Thor exiled.
    when Odin fell, and he became acting king, all of a sudden It was oshitoshit whatdoidowiththis? and became reactionary as things unravelled on him.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DHS wrote: »
    Stringer Dall was my favorite part of the movie, that voice made me think "don't piss off the gatekeeper guy". Also cool hats.

That was probably my favorite casting choice in the entire movie. Damn was he a good choice for the part. I definitely liked the actors cast for Thor and Odin, but I think his was the best call.

As for the movie overall, I certainly enjoyed it but thought it kind of dragged compared to the Iron Man movies. It's not really a criticism, though, since they have to introduce the character somehow and Thor can't just go from Asgardian Dickweed to Penitent Protector in a montage or something like that. And if they'd dedicated the movie purely to Thor fighting in Asgard or against fantasy enemies, I think the general public would've been kind of turned off on the movie. Mixing it in with New Mexico really helped ground the whole film in something relatable.

And I can always do with seeing more Agent Colson. In fact, I could do with him having his own movie where we just get to see him traveling around and dealing with all these super-powered problem people. Always nice to see a regular human character who has the common sense to just run when some mysterious construct glows ominously in his direction and isn't really impressed by the same stuff which wows the fleeing crowds around him.

I was hoping to see some kind of glimpse of the Captain America stuff, but I'm A-OK with a tie-in for the future Avengers film. If Captain America is as good as I think it's looking to be, then I can wait. I still don't see how there's even a remote chance of getting even a couple of the bigger-name actors onboard for Avengers at a reasonable cost, though.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DHS wrote: »

That was probably my favorite casting choice in the entire movie. Damn was he a good choice for the part. I definitely liked the actors cast for Thor and Odin, but I think his was the best call.

As for the movie overall, I certainly enjoyed it but thought it kind of dragged compared to the Iron Man movies. It's not really a criticism, though, since they have to introduce the character somehow and Thor can't just go from Asgardian Dickweed to Penitent Protector in a montage or something like that. And if they'd dedicated the movie purely to Thor fighting in Asgard or against fantasy enemies, I think the general public would've been kind of turned off on the movie. Mixing it in with New Mexico really helped ground the whole film in something relatable.

And I can always do with seeing more Agent Colson. In fact, I could do with him having his own movie where we just get to see him traveling around and dealing with all these super-powered problem people. Always nice to see a regular human character who has the common sense to just run when some mysterious construct glows ominously in his direction and isn't really impressed by the same stuff which wows the fleeing crowds around him.

I was hoping to see some kind of glimpse of the Captain America stuff, but I'm A-OK with a tie-in for the future Avengers film. If Captain America is as good as I think it's looking to be, then I can wait. I still don't see how there's even a remote chance of getting even a couple of the bigger-name actors onboard for Avengers at a reasonable cost, though.
    You do know they already pulled it off? They are already filming the Avengers. They got everybody. Its not like they picked huge actors anyway. RDJ got huge because of Iron Man and both Thor and Captain America's main actors are sorta making the leap with those movies.

On the hole I wish everyone would stop being so down on the Avengers. This sorta thing has never happened. Can we get a little optimism.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, technically they lost Norton, so they didn't completely succeed, but your point stands: the Avengers is happening. I can't wait until the first publicity group shot comes out.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Technically they got rid of Norton since he was such a pain in the ass and a control freak.

Cade on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yea, in many ways it may well have been Norton who got rid of Norton. Well, that or Norton's agent.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd just like to say that whoever got the guy from The Hurt Locker to play Hawkeye deserves a damned medal.

He only had like three lines but they were pitch-perfect.

"Can you make a decision here? I'm starting to root for this guy."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jeremy Rennnerrrrrrr

I peed myself at that part

So glad I didn't get spoiled beforehand

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Jeremy Rennnerrrrrrr

And yet you're spoiling it now for other folks.:lol:

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Jeremy Rennnerrrrrrr

And yet you're spoiling it now for other folks.:lol:

the post above mine already spoiled it

also this is a movie thread which always has spoilers, which is why I didn't come in here till I'd seen it

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I took my father to see Thor on Saturday, and we both came away feeling it was well worth the money. Personally, I really feel that Marvel did a smart thing in not making it a giant action movie. By making the center of the plot the story of two brothers, Thor and Loki, Marvel gave a very easy, human motivation to allow the movie to revolve around. This, I feel, will make the movie a lot easier for the casual audience to follow. Likewise, it humanized Thor so that people will still be interested in the character when it comes to the Avengers movie and a Thor sequel.

I took my mother to see it, and she enjoyed it. I really liked how tight it was plot wise, and there were no ridiculous "Oh dear can Thor die half an hour into the one and a half hour film" false suspense parts. I guess it was just well thought out and methodical, not totally "kick ass" like Spiderman and Iron Man were. That's just my 2.10c*
    *My Australian cents are worth slightly more than yours

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i felt thor's transition from self-centered whatever he was, to "hero" was a bit weak, but i think it really came about through only have 2 hours to tell a story. i wouldn't want them to drop the beginning or end of the movie, but the whole
    oh no i backed into him and i'm in love and he loves me and that's why he'll be good
    felt weak.

other than that, A+ superhero/comic movie

Pailryder on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i felt thor's transition from self-centered whatever he was, to "hero" was a bit weak, but i think it really came about through only have 2 hours to tell a story. i wouldn't want them to drop the beginning or end of the movie, but the whole
    oh no i backed into him and i'm in love and he loves me and that's why he'll be good
    felt weak.

other than that, A+ superhero/comic movie

Uh, so, question.
    Do Thor or Jane actually say that they're in love? Because I don't remember anyone saying that. They had physical attraction, and each represented an important point of contact on another world to the other. They can be infatuated after a short time together without the L word ever coming into it (and there were a distinct lack of lesbians, too, but that's another story).

For Jane, Thor represents both her life's work in astronomical knowledge and a dude with abs you could grate cheese on.

For Thor, Jane represents a stranger who went out on a limb for him when he was at his lowest moment, and helped him realize that it's not all about selfishness. Plus, she's Frumpy Natalie Portman, which is 95% as good as Normal Natalie Portman.

At the end, they've been denied the opportunity to follow up on their initial attraction, which is more than enough reason for red-blooded people to work to hook up again. You add external factors, like Thor's hasty oath to Agent Colson that he would be S.H.I.E.L.D.'s ally, or Jane's desire to win the Nobel Prize in Wormhole Awesomeness, and you get more than enough reason for them to moonily look off to the stars without getting into "love".

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm in lesbians with Thor in those blue jeans.

<3<3<3

He looked so damn goofy as JT Kirk's Dad in Star Trek. What a transition!
    Oh and I guess the movie was really good or something.

shirtless dude below

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pretty shocked at the positive reactions. I thought it was one of the most boring movies I've seen in a long time, superhero or not. Formulaic seems too generic a word. Grotesquely formulaic maybe? Like they have gotten so good at making the same movies over and over that they don't even have to try that much anymore. Kind of like a forgerer getting so good at copying stuff that the art of forgery itself becomes lost? I don't know. I can usually stomach it, but this movie honestly felt like I was having my intelligence insulted. I could picture whoever is rolling in the money this film makes just fucking bawling laughing at how easy it was, just opening "Superhero script" and replacing the names and distinguishing details from the comic, hitting send, and waiting for the money to roll in. I struggle to think of one aspect of this movie that surprised me. I was amused at a line or two from Thor. I dug the gatekeeper too. Loki was kind of creepy. But that's pretty much it. Costing 15 bucks didn't help either.

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato