Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hahaha I just called and got all four of my credit cards (and my debit card just to be sure) reissued, and on the last one I started saying "Well, have you heard about the Sony info--" "Ah, another one. Say no more, we'll cancel the card and overnight a new one right now."

Thought that was funny

(edit)
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    HA

I just called to cancel my card and in the background I hear another operator scream HEY I GOT ANOTHER ONE

I did chuckle at it.

:lol: lolsony

The best part is my operator, hearing me laugh at it, quick hit the mute button (which apparently doesn't work well) and then yelled back DAMN <operator's name> THEY CAN HEAR YO ASS

hahhahaha

Ledneh on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    So, what's the most insulting compensation Sony could offer? 20% discount on select PS1 Classics? A month of PS+ that auto-renews? A free T-shirt in home?

Anything Home related would piss everyone off so badly.
    You know what? No. I wouldn't be pissed. Being pissed came and went. I am resentful, now, and anything they could offer would be, at best, a salve for that resentment. I'm going to continue using the system. I won't be buying things on PSN, with or without point cards, and I won't be buying disc games new, but I'll still use the system. So.

Lifetime free PSN+? Improbable, I know. But sure. I'd take it. A PSN game? Okay! A PSOne classic? Throw it my way. But the perfect item, the one that my awful geek brain would hold, treasure, and laugh at for the rest of my life, would indeed be a Home t-shirt. It would be the ultimate display of fundamentally misunderstanding a situation, responding incredibly poorly, and then gazing in sad befuddlement at the flaming wreckage that results. Yes. Give me those pretend clothes.

Anyway. Here's what's currently written on my DinoComics whiteboard. Maybe someone will giggle.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn. I really did not expect that even Sony would screw up this whole situation this badly. My condolences for all those having to deal with credit card bullshit now.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well I searched my email and apparently I deleted any receipts I may have had to tell me which card I was using on PSN. I can't login to PSN through the PS3 or through the web. Is there any way I can find this out? and how can I change my password?

I'd really like to avoid cancelling all of my damn cards.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I managed to luck out in that the only card I ever used on PSN had already been cancelled prior to this

Still more concerned about the personal information bit

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    No, Mexican Airline, you will not get my monies.

Card cancelled.

If anyone else was on the fence, get that taken care of ASAP.

In before the, "YOU CAN'T PROVE THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PSN HACKING" bullshit.

Funny how the geese have all disappeared these last few pages, in which several forum members comment how they have been hit by the whole PSN fiasco.

Anyways, Sony needs to get off their asses and make some stronger statement soon. Preferably a week ago, to be honest. The situation is spiraling out of control.
    Nope. Still here. Exactly what kind of stronger statement are you looking for? They've had a steady trickle of posts on the PSBlog for awhile now.

JAEF on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just reported my card stolen for a new number. Didn't have any suspicious charges but fuck taking chances. Thanks a bunch, Sony.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well I searched my email and apparently I deleted any receipts I may have had to tell me which card I was using on PSN. I can't login to PSN through the PS3 or through the web. Is there any way I can find this out? and how can I change my password?

Have you tried calling Sony support? They might be able to tell you what card they have on file. 1-800-345-7669. I had a network error that resulted in a double charge about six weeks back and they were very helpful.

edit: the wait on hold may be somewhat longer than the ten or so minutes that I had, however

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    To be fair it's not the biggest inconvenience in the world. It took me less than 10 minutes on the phone and I should get my new card tomorrow (would have been today except some pillock decided to get married).

It's the name, address etc. being leaked that bothers me more.

Moioink on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Canceled my credit card. Like others, I was in a situation where I have enough automatic charges that I would have liked to avoid it, but it seems that such hesitation is not really the best idea.

Just in time for my trip to the US, as well. Which is unfortunate, as I was going to use my card for various reasons (it is the best of my credit cards), and now have to use my visa instead. Eh. Not the end of the world.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

You could search through your on-line statements for a charge from SOE? Don't remember off-hand what their listed as, but should be something SONY or PSN related.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    good ideas dudes, thanks.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fucking hell, this just keeps getting worse.

So, did the people getting hit with charges still have their CC info stored in their PSN account?

I'm worried about my mom's CC, which I used a couple years ago, but then I cleared the info out of my account after the purchase. And she was sent a new card with a chip in it between then and now but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I reeeeeally don't want to freak her out if I don't have to.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reznik wrote: »

So, did the people getting hit with charges still have their CC info stored in their PSN account?

I'm worried about my mom's CC, which I used a couple years ago, but then I cleared the info out of my account after the purchase. And she was sent a new card with a chip in it between then and now but I don't know if that makes a difference.

A new card will have a new expiration date and a new CVC. Trying to run a card while having either of those numbers incorrect will cause the card to be rejected, so it shouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't hurt to be careful though.

adytum on
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Unfortunately, Sony has said nothing about whether or not they retained info that was cleared out of the system.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    No, Mexican Airline, you will not get my monies.

Card cancelled.

If anyone else was on the fence, get that taken care of ASAP.

In before the, "YOU CAN'T PROVE THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PSN HACKING" bullshit.

Funny how the geese have all disappeared these last few pages, in which several forum members comment how they have been hit by the whole PSN fiasco.

Anyways, Sony needs to get off their asses and make some stronger statement soon. Preferably a week ago, to be honest. The situation is spiraling out of control.
    Nope. Still here. Exactly what kind of stronger statement are you looking for? They've had a steady trickle of posts on the PSBlog for awhile now.

Things like Valve did. Moving in fast, decisively, fixing the shit and compensating the users.

When Valve fuckd up VAC and banned a billion BFBC2 (I think it was BFBC2), two days after the fuck up we were all "hey, that was cool what valve did, i'm glad some companies are awesome like that".

2 days after sony fucked up, they were whistling, looking around nonchalantly and pretending it was just a network problem.

They're doing everything wrong.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Yup. Gotta wait for the banks to open on Monday though. :?

Screw Monday, do you have the card with you? If so, there should be a hotline printed on the back of the card. Call them, like right now.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    To be fair it's not the biggest inconvenience in the world. It took me less than 10 minutes on the phone and I should get my new card tomorrow (would have been today except some pillock decided to get married).

This seemed quite unpleasant to me as well (although I used my work address for some reason) but the more I think about it, it's really not that different from how phone directories used to work before everyone got cell phones. Imagine one of those, only restricted to people with PSN accounts.

Oh, actually... Hmm. Now that I think of it, if this info went on a torrent, couldn't people look up your real name and address by your PSN name? My friends list is really only RL and PA people who I am already fairly sure are not douches, but I do have that ID visible on a public site. I mean, it's right down there, in my sig. Hmm. :?

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »

This seemed quite unpleasant to me as well (although I used my work address for some reason) but the more I think about it, it's really not that different from how phone directories used to work before everyone got cell phones. Imagine one of those, only restricted to people with PSN accounts.

Oh, actually... Hmm. Now that I think of it, if this info went on a torrent, couldn't people look up your real name and address by your PSN name? My friends list is really only RL and PA people who I am already fairly sure are not douches, but I do have that ID visible on a public site. I mean, it's right down there, in my sig. Hmm. :?

I feel sorry for any PSN griefers if there ever is a point where you can search RL name by PSN id.

This is an angle I had not yet considered.

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm more interested in what /kind/ of cards people are having issues with. If mastercard says there has been no issues with their cards, I just cant be bothered to go through and change my info on some several dozen sites. (Especially ones that use securecode, as I dont honestly recall mine at all. hah.)

Ill just get it overturned if some fraudulent charge shows up and then change cards. I doubt every single account was compromised, and I'm too lazy to deal with a 'what if' when it'd take several hours of phone calls to deal with.

As has been stated repeatedly, Im more worried about by other info getting out than my card.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

A new card will have a new expiration date and a new CVC. Trying to run a card while having either of those numbers incorrect will cause the card to be rejected, so it shouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't hurt to be careful though.

They might be able to figure out how much the expiration date advances by and the CVC isn't actually required to make purchases, so this might very well be a problem.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ill just get it overturned if some fraudulent charge shows up and then change cards. I doubt every single account was compromised, and I'm too lazy to deal with a 'what if' when it'd take several hours of phone calls to deal with.

Salmon'd for lies. Closing my old credit card and requesting a new number took me all of two minutes on the phone. It's actually taking care of fraudulent charges that takes several hours of phone calls. So if you're lazy, your path is clear. Not to mention vastly safer.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Salmon'd for lies. Closing my old credit card and requesting a new number took me all of two minutes on the phone. It's actually taking care of fraudulent charges that takes several hours of phone calls. So if you're lazy, your path is clear. Not to mention vastly safer.
    ...not if you have bill payments, etc set up for a half dozen different bills, utilities, etc and have no idea wth your passwords are anymore. Changing the number is easy; updating that across the entirity of your financial landscape? Maybe not so much.

I don't automate that way so no big deal for me, but still.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So the PS3 Q&A thing changed in the part about security codes. They crossed it out to say "While we do ask for CCV codes, we do not store them in our database."

Fear-mongering Speculation: If the hacker or hackers have had the ability to monitor purchases made a couple days before PSN was shut down and they were able to see information being sent, they would have the CCV of any credit cards that made purchases within those couple of days.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

...not if you have bill payments, etc set up for a half dozen different bills, utilities, etc and have no idea wth your passwords are anymore. Changing the number is easy; updating that across the entirity of your financial landscape? Maybe not so much.

I don't automate that way so no big deal for me, but still.

Pretty much this. I didnt think it was a hard concept to grasp. I even mentioned not knowing my Mastercard securecode, which would be a whole different process to getting the card changed. Then several dozen utilities later, yes, it would probably take me several hours of phone conversation to do. On top of any online accounts I needed to change.

Sure glad people can grasp simple concepts without needing it to be explained to them.. oh wait.

Also, if it takes you more than 10 minutes to get a fraudulent charge overturned, get a better bank. Or stop being shady. Ive only had a false charge once, I called, and 2 minutes later it was overturned and all was well. Hmm... now which seems to be the simpler option... choices

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sure glad people can grasp simple concepts without needing it to be explained to them.. oh wait.

I was planning on number-changing my mastercard and also have no idea what the securecode is - would that actually come into play?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    So the PS3 Q&A thing changed in the part about security codes. They crossed it out to say "While we do ask for CCV codes, we do not store them in our database."

Fear-mongering Speculation: If the hacker or hackers have had the ability to monitor purchases made a couple days before PSN was shut down and they were able to see information being sent, they would have the CCV of any credit cards that made purchases within those couple of days.

The only transaction I did with PSN was 2 years ago.

So I don't think that's the case.

adytum on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't checked on this fiasco since like Monday, so I'm curious. Is there a timeframe on when PSN is expected to be back up yet?

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't checked on this fiasco since like Monday, so I'm curious. Is there a timeframe on when PSN is expected to be back up yet?

"Some services" should be up within a week from the 27th.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Depends on if Lik-Sang planned this entire thing just to make Sony relocate the servers so they could hijack the truck and burn them in the greatest heist of our lifetime

but they hoped to have some services back within-

damn you

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, the takeaway I'm getting from this is that Apple and the Airlines were behind the breach.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As supported by the LA LI LU LE LO and the Majestic... seven? thirteen?

fuck it

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gilder wrote: »

It asks when you first set a card up. After that its just a straight click to buy interface.

So, for your fear-mongering, it'd have to be anyone who set up a credit card in those few days, not just made a purchase.

Also, not as many retailers ask for a CVV as you'd think.

Also2, securecode is a thing mastercard allows you to setup, it's like an alternate password/pin for a card number. But its only supported by certain retailers. So in general its worthless, except for in very specific instances. Hence I forgot it, as I set up those accounts roughly a year or two ago and havent needed it since.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Doesn't it also ask when you make a purchase? Because it asks for it, it just doesn't save it. So it would be for anyone who saved the card to their account or made a purchase in those few days. Anyway I don't think anybody got them. I'm pretty sure that hacker group that said they got 2.2. million cards with CCV's is full of shit.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I appologize if this was asked before, but I don't even remember the basic information they want when setting up a PSN account. Without making a purchase off PSN, how much info would they actually have for someone?

Spiffy Mage on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2011
    So, I had 150 dollars charged on my xbl account this morning

yeah

if your psn and xbl passwords were the same, I would fix that pdq

Knob on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

"Some services" should be up within a week from the 27th.

Thanks. Now I wonder what "some services" implies.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I wonder what "some services" implies.

I'm at work, so pretend that instead of posting a link I shopped it up and replaced "tribes 2" with "PSN" and embedded the image, but I'm envisioning something like this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/6/18/

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    sorry if this has been asked, I'm not going through the whole thread -

Do you need a credit card number to sign up for PSN? I can't remember. The only time I bought anything I used a points card, would I have put a credit card in at any other time?

elevature on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    elevature wrote: »
    sorry if this has been asked, I'm not going through the whole thread -

Do you need a credit card number to sign up for PSN? I can't remember. The only time I bought anything I used a points card, would I have put a credit card in at any other time?

They apparently asked for a CC when registering, but it wasn't a requirement and you were perfectly capable of telling them to get bent and would still get an account just fine.

Search your email address for "playstation" and you should be able to get your registration email, which for some people may have included details on whether or not a CCN was provided at time of registration. It will also provide receipts for any CC purchases you made on PSN, but that doesn't sound like it'll be an issue for you.

ColorlessGreen on