As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEλM] - Cthulhu Saves the World is Coming to Steam

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    While you're mentioning that, congrats to the column on RPS.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ain't no way Diablo 3's coming out this year. This time next year, maybe, but I'm guessing they'll do the whole 'December 2012' thing, to make sure it lines up with the Apocalypse :lol:

But Deus Ex is my great hope of hopes. I'm excited for a ton of other things on various platforms (DOTA2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, etc), but Deus Ex, man. Deus Ex.

Kami on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lepwave wrote: »
    While you're mentioning that, congrats to the column on RPS.

Cheers, I'm starting to do a few more things for them too (with my first "big thing" going up tomorrow).

LewieP on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The fact that Duke Nukem Forever will be released before Episode 3 is a sign that we live in a perverse universe.
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, in the future, m brings up your clipboard, with the compass pointing to where you need to go

I read this not as "for future reference" but "in the year 2033" and it was much funnier until I realized what was going on.

I for one can't wait for this technology

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Decoy is an upstanding gentleman and gifted me a copy of Half-Life! I offered him Plain Sight in return but he already had it, so now I am going to continue his generosity as best I can and offer it to someone here.

It's a fun little game. Someone post that they want it here and I'll fire it off your way :O

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I wonder which will get finished first. Black Mesa, Freeman's Mind or Episode 3.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced Black Mesa is an exceptionally elaborate joke played on the internet.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    anyone know of any steam games that would work with touch input and no keyboard?

Crazed Llama on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    world of goo?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    maybe civilization V?

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Crayon Physics deluxe, I think. Been a while since I played it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think crayon physics had a tablet mode, but that was designed for tablet PCs, not touch?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Let me know when one of you gift-happy gentleman have an extra copy of L4D or L4D2.

Is there any word on whether or not the original Half-Life is getting ported to the Mac?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    anyone know of any steam games that would work with touch input and no keyboard?

Osmos (which was ported to the iPad) and Swords and Soldiers (which I think was ported from the iPad/iPhone) are two that spring to mind.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've finally started playing Monkey Island 2: Special Edition after having it for AGES, and getting almost halfway, from the looks of the completion rate. It's been long enough that I just vaguely remember the puzzles, so I decided to start over. Really hoping to finish it this time, since I didn't get much farther than shoving a live dog into my pockets.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You crazy bastards playing Fate of the World should help me out here. I find myself continually overwhelmed by the stat screen.

I was doing alright in the oil scenario by phasing in biofuels, but apparently what I didn't notice was that this was pushing food prices through the roof, which completely fucked me over when a global famine hit in 2070 and triggered a civil war in Japan, Russia, and North Africa, culminating in a nuclear exchange between America and itself.

Jintor on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    You crazy bastards playing Fate of the World should help me out here. I find myself continually overwhelmed by the stat screen.

I was doing alright in the oil scenario by phasing in biofuels, but apparently what I didn't notice was that this was pushing food prices through the roof, which completely fucked me over when a global famine hit in 2070 and triggered a civil war in Japan, Russia, and North Africa, culminating in a nuclear exchange between America and itself.

If this game has taught me anything, it's that I would be a shitty world leader.

Decoy on
  • Options
    pedro0930pedro0930 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

I think biofuel is not the way to go unless you can cut the world population by half. Its primary use I found is just to extend fossil fuel use for a round or two, then be used to top off energy need afterward. However, once you develop 3rd gen biofuel and high yield crops, it would be much more viable. The problem is...by then the world would be in a bunch of other problems if you haven't find alternative already.

Also, almost immediately after you solve the oil shortage issue, you will be hit by coal shortage as well, so you might want to plan for that by switching the entire world's industry off coal.

pedro0930 on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    EDIT: I take it you got a good deal on that? :P

I kind of pushed the boat out a bit, since I've basically got more disposable income than I've ever had before right now, and since I spend so much time on my PC it's worth getting a good one.

Paid £1300. Got:

2.66ghz i7
    16gb of ram
    2x5870.
    256gb SSD.

Tis an alienware. Wouldn't have paid their normal (ridiculous) prices, but I got it from the dell outlet. That means I didn't get to pick out all the components myself (seriously, who needs 16gb of ram?) but I got it at a heavy discount. List price would have been over £2k, and building a simialar spec pc myself would have cost a bit more too.

Arrives on the 6th, can't wait.

jesus christ man that's so much excessiveness

That is so much awesomeness! Man I would love to have an expendable income so I could do that again.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Had a friend get his account hacked in the morning. Already submitted Steam support ticket, just waiting to see what can be done.

Some Russian kid it seems. Luckily there was no CC info on the account (and either way it was reported as compromised, just in case.) Best guess it seems like a bad case of a dictionary attack (relatively simple password, same for his email and his steam acc. This dude changed the password and the registered email on the Steam acc.)

Funny, seems like he just played TF2 a bit and then just kept logged on Steam (went to snooze status for a few hours) and is now back online. Perhaps he is downloading something or whatever.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Decoy is an upstanding gentleman and gifted me a copy of Half-Life! I offered him Plain Sight in return but he already had it, so now I am going to continue his generosity as best I can and offer it to someone here.

It's a fun little game. Someone post that they want it here and I'll fire it off your way :O

I had no idea what this game was so I had to check it out on the store page... That game looks like so much fun

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    EDIT: I take it you got a good deal on that? :P

I kind of pushed the boat out a bit, since I've basically got more disposable income than I've ever had before right now, and since I spend so much time on my PC it's worth getting a good one.

Paid £1300. Got:

2.66ghz i7
    16gb of ram
    2x5870.
    256gb SSD.

Tis an alienware. Wouldn't have paid their normal (ridiculous) prices, but I got it from the dell outlet. That means I didn't get to pick out all the components myself (seriously, who needs 16gb of ram?) but I got it at a heavy discount. List price would have been over £2k, and building a simialar spec pc myself would have cost a bit more too.

Arrives on the 6th, can't wait.

jesus christ man that's so much excessiveness

That is so much awesomeness! Man I would love to have an expendable income so I could do that again.

Future-proofed until the end of 2030!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so i have been trying to push through half life 2 since i have never done it. just got myself the ant-lion infantry. damn they are pretty sweet

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mts wrote: »
    so i have been trying to push through half life 2 since i have never done it. just got myself the ant-lion infantry. damn they are pretty sweet

I wish I could experience that game for the first time again.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Plain Sight is pretty neat.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Does anyone play it? I've always been a little intrigued but buying small multiplayer games that I don't have much time to play is always a gamble, because I might get in the mood to play a round or two and nobody will be on line.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone got some tips on Revenge of the Titans? I'm on the final chapter in the moon and it's starting to get really hard. I find myself frequently starving for cash, getting to a point where I can no longer make any refineries because I have to pour every single cent into patching up my defenses lest I die immediately, and eventually the incoming enemies overtake my economy.

Here's my current research progress, if it matters.
    B1Csk.png

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Does anyone play it? I've always been a little intrigued but buying small multiplayer games that I don't have much time to play is always a gamble, because I might get in the mood to play a round or two and nobody will be on line.

I haven't bothered to check how much it is now but I got it for a dollar and definitely got an hour of fun out of it. So in the old-school comparison of how much time on an arcade cabinet I would get I'd say it won. But I haven't played it since, oh probably November?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I rescind my previous statement about liking Metro 2033. The gorilla enemies in the Library are the dumbest fucking enemies. It doesn't matter what difficulty you're on, you have to put a shit ton of ammo in these things, all while they charge at you in tight, enclosed spaces.

It was fun while it lasted, at least.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If we're talking about librarians then a couple VSV shots to the head should demolish one. Not so much in other parts of the body

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If we're talking about librarians then a couple VSV shots to the head should demolish one. Not so much in other parts of the body

Yeah if I'm lucky enough to score a few headshots while they're running at me, they're down. But that doesn't happen because they're all up in my face trying to hulk smash me.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You could try:

a) throwing knives
    b) quarrels from the hellsing
    c) just not shooting them

The guy tells you just face towards them and they won't attack. You can make it through without fighting them as long as you keep moving. Those two weapons in particular are pretty great at taking them out because they do a ton of damage and have recoverable ammo.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never fought a librarian on my playthroughs.

kleinfehn on
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My problem with Metro was the gunplay. I loved the atmosphere and the feeling of creeping around being scared shitless but as soon as I saw something and shot at it, bllleeeeehhh. All the weapons seemed like wet fart guns that made the enemies die from apathy. No kick or grunt or brutishness in it. Apart from that, brilliant.

Chronocide on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hasn't comics taught us to never mess with a gorilla in a library?

I9wwm.jpg

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    weeskwee wrote: »
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    This is going to be an amazing year for PC gaming. Portal 2, Rage, Skyrim, Torchlight 2, and quite likely Diablo 3.

Skyrim is already my GOTY. There is no way that it won't be. Love me some Elder Scrolls. :)

Really?

Did you ... did you play Oblivion?

As someone with a love/hate relationship with TES (mostly hate), I'm still excited for Skyrim. A lot of what I really disliked about Bethesda's games looks to be fixed in TES V.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chronocide wrote: »
    My problem with Metro was the gunplay. I loved the atmosphere and the feeling of creeping around being scared shitless but as soon as I saw something and shot at it, bllleeeeehhh. All the weapons seemed like wet fart guns that made the enemies die from apathy. No kick or grunt or brutishness in it. Apart from that, brilliant.
    I think that's kinda the point. The weapons are all relics, they don't really have much of an ability to make new ones, or even service the ones they have.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm actually having problems with the War chapter now... I know where I need to go but it seems like the only way to get there is to jump off the upper lever and land on the pipes between the lower level of the subway.

That can't be good for my health. I tried it last time and was one hit from death then a guy saw me and turned and shot me.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm actually having problems with the War chapter now... I know where I need to go but it seems like the only way to get there is to jump off the upper lever and land on the pipes between the lower level of the subway.

That can't be good for my health. I tried it last time and was one hit from death then a guy saw me and turned and shot me.

Wait, wait, are you at...
    ... the Nazi-Commie War?

If so, the compass doesn't quite work its magic there. It's pointing to where you next need to go, but not the path you need to take (like it normally does.)

I took the lit path to the left, where there are a ton of enemies, after killing them with the pneumatic sniper.

Then just follow it through.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Anyone got some tips on Revenge of the Titans? I'm on the final chapter in the moon and it's starting to get really hard. I find myself frequently starving for cash, getting to a point where I can no longer make any refineries because I have to pour every single cent into patching up my defenses lest I die immediately, and eventually the incoming enemies overtake my economy.

Here's my current research progress, if it matters.
    B1Csk.png

mines are always a good help for spontaneously blowing things up. Also you might look at getting more of the deliveries to help you with certain levels

pabh on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I stopped playing Revenge of the Titans when they started sending ghosts at me, something that I have no idea how to counter, and that probably need multiple research projects which mean I need to cycle back a couple of stages.

Too bad too, I have 29k monies so I won't ever reach a point where I can't buy my way out of a predicement.

TheOrange on
This discussion has been closed.