Options

Flashpoint : Age of Zoompocalypse

1457910

Posts

  • Options
    Ian_AustinIan_Austin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lux wrote: »
    So, can Barry basically give anyone super speed if all he needs is chemicals and a shit ton of lightning?

    Also Batman 2:
    WHAT THE FUCK

    Part of me thinks, "That's ridiculous, that's just a ridiculous twist for the sake of being crazy, you might as well reveal Darkseid is Alfred in this dimension."

    But it's a small part. 90% of me is going OH SHIT.

    See, I disagree with that. I think it's absolute genius on so many levels that it's scary.

    (NB: I reveal BIG Flashpoint: Batman 2 spoilers. Don't read if you're looking for a tease!)
    Mostly because in Flashpoint The Joker's 'one bad day' comment becomes fact. Bruce Wayne dies as a kid, and both his parents snap because of their loss. Martha, the caring mother, becomes an absolute psychopath who's lost the most precious thing in the world and doesn't see why anyone else should get to be happy. Thomas, the stoic doctor, becomes determined to stop any other parent suffering through the same loss through a life of crime.

    I mean it is really fucked up at the same time, but also gives a solid reason why Thomas wants out of this world. It isn't just Bruce being alive, it's a world where his wife didn't turn into a homicidal pseudo-clown and go around being psychotic.

    It also adds a rather hilarious text to the 'foe-yay' subtext between Batman and The Joker. This timelines version have, probably and disturbingly, gotten busy since the shift. Which is also rather amusing given it's an extreme version of Batman and Catwoman, with Batman a crazy former doctor and Catwoman his nutso wife whose kid was shot for some pearls.

    I'll actually be sad when this is over, and they switch this out. Hopefully The Joker remembers, and starts messing with Bruce by leaving him 'Bruce, your mother was a doll' style notes.

    Ian_Austin on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ian_Austin wrote: »
    Lux wrote: »
    So, can Barry basically give anyone super speed if all he needs is chemicals and a shit ton of lightning?

    Also Batman 2:
    WHAT THE FUCK

    Part of me thinks, "That's ridiculous, that's just a ridiculous twist for the sake of being crazy, you might as well reveal Darkseid is Alfred in this dimension."

    But it's a small part. 90% of me is going OH SHIT.

    See, I disagree with that. I think it's absolute genius on so many levels that it's scary.

    (NB: I reveal BIG Flashpoint: Batman 2 spoilers. Don't read if you're looking for a tease!)
    Mostly because in Flashpoint The Joker's 'one bad day' comment becomes fact. Bruce Wayne dies as a kid, and both his parents snap because of their loss. Martha, the caring mother, becomes an absolute psychopath who's lost the most precious thing in the world and doesn't see why anyone else should get to be happy. Thomas, the stoic doctor, becomes determined to stop any other parent suffering through the same loss through a life of crime.

    I mean it is really fucked up at the same time, but also gives a solid reason why Thomas wants out of this world. It isn't just Bruce being alive, it's a world where his wife didn't turn into a homicidal pseudo-clown and go around being psychotic.

    It also adds a rather hilarious text to the 'foe-yay' subtext between Batman and The Joker. This timelines version have, probably and disturbingly, gotten busy since the shift. Which is also rather amusing given it's an extreme version of Batman and Catwoman, with Batman a crazy former doctor and Catwoman his nutso wife whose kid was shot for some pearls.

    I'll actually be sad when this is over, and they switch this out. Hopefully The Joker remembers, and starts messing with Bruce by leaving him 'Bruce, your mother was a doll' style notes.

    That moment between Barry and Thomas when they first recruit Cyborg
    actually makes me think that Thomas isn't trying to prevent the same tragedy that killed Bruce. Whereas Bruce turned his grief into something constructive, Thomas is just lashing out without any concern for a bigger picture. He didn't want to fight the Amazons and Atlanteans because he's past the point of caring what happens to the world.

    He didn't become Batman to accomplish anything. He became Batman because he was driven insane.

    P.S. I'm talking about that scene where Barry asks if Thomas ever cared about "the mission," or something like that.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Abandoning medicine and starting Wayne Casinos provides further proof that this Batman isn't concerned with helping Gotham or its citizens. There's no altruism or quixotic mission to vanquish evil. He probably just wants to hurt as many people as he can, then get shot and die in an alley like his son.

    It's pretty similar to the nervous breakdown that Bendis put Daredevil through.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My comic shop ran out of issues of the first issue of the Wonder Woman mini. Did I miss anything important in there? I don't know if he's gonna get restocked on that one or not.

    Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, so Flashpoint: Batman 2 wins the award. I don't think anything else in this event is going to top it.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I dont know about that, I mean Lois Lane and the Resistance had some pretty big tits.

    Tairu on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, there is that.

    I will say that Flashpoint: Secret Seven could be the worst thing ever. Maybe I'm missing... everything... but it is just a disjointed mess.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My comic shop ran out of issues of the first issue of the Wonder Woman mini. Did I miss anything important in there? I don't know if he's gonna get restocked on that one or not.

    As far as I can tell, it's the back story of how the Amazon/Atlantean war came to be. It's up to you if you that's more important, but the end result is already given. They fight, Europe is sunk, the UK is new Themyscira.
    Ian_Austin wrote: »
    Lux wrote: »
    So, can Barry basically give anyone super speed if all he needs is chemicals and a shit ton of lightning?

    Also Batman 2:
    WHAT THE FUCK

    Part of me thinks, "That's ridiculous, that's just a ridiculous twist for the sake of being crazy, you might as well reveal Darkseid is Alfred in this dimension."

    But it's a small part. 90% of me is going OH SHIT.

    See, I disagree with that. I think it's absolute genius on so many levels that it's scary.

    (NB: I reveal BIG Flashpoint: Batman 2 spoilers. Don't read if you're looking for a tease!)
    Mostly because in Flashpoint The Joker's 'one bad day' comment becomes fact. Bruce Wayne dies as a kid, and both his parents snap because of their loss. Martha, the caring mother, becomes an absolute psychopath who's lost the most precious thing in the world and doesn't see why anyone else should get to be happy. Thomas, the stoic doctor, becomes determined to stop any other parent suffering through the same loss through a life of crime.

    I mean it is really fucked up at the same time, but also gives a solid reason why Thomas wants out of this world. It isn't just Bruce being alive, it's a world where his wife didn't turn into a homicidal pseudo-clown and go around being psychotic.

    It also adds a rather hilarious text to the 'foe-yay' subtext between Batman and The Joker. This timelines version have, probably and disturbingly, gotten busy since the shift. Which is also rather amusing given it's an extreme version of Batman and Catwoman, with Batman a crazy former doctor and Catwoman his nutso wife whose kid was shot for some pearls.

    I'll actually be sad when this is over, and they switch this out. Hopefully The Joker remembers, and starts messing with Bruce by leaving him 'Bruce, your mother was a doll' style notes.

    No, no, I agree in part
    That Martha becoming psychotic is a compelling and interesting twist and adds more depth to Thomas Wayne's story. It's just as The Joker?

    Remember when all we had were the solicits and we thought Batman: Knight of Vengeance was just gonna be Bruce running a casino?

    Lux on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The one thing I find disconcerting about Knight of Vengeance is that Thomas Wayne looks pretty different from the main Flashpoint series. In the main Flashpoint he has a kindly scruffy look, with an unshaven face and a built physique. In KoV he almost looks more like a Mafia Don or like Bruce in Dark Knight Returns. I mean, I like both, but it's just an annoying disconnect.

    Tairu on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's just how Risso draws big dudes.

    MastaP on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    IIxxF.jpg
    Goddamn

    BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, it might be good to spoiler that. Possibly.

    HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That is a great cover

    Tairu on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Holy shit

    Solar on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dave Johnson does the best covers.

    Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Looks like Bruce wasn't able to plan ahead.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    Flashpoint 5 cover
    FLASHPOINT_CVR5_asdjfhdklasdjhf289701578.jpg

    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It would be kind of nice to actually see the villain of the series, yeah

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Something about the hand holding arms looks off

    Like the lady's arm is sticking straight out in front of her but Batman's arm is off to his side

    Escher handshake

    CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I thought you were talking about the Flashpoint cover and I was so confused

  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Yeah, whoops I didn't see the date

    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Well speaking of hands, unless his arm is really broken, Flash's left hand shouldn't have a thumb on the left side.

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if they'll resolve the Aqua-Wonder War in 4 or 5.

    I've loved the main mini so far, but they're running low on time and I'm really afraid of a rushed ending.

    It's kind of a downer, because these shorter events normally have a pretty great build and then a terrible, rushed ending (See: Siege, Shadowland, War of the Supermen).

    Johns, so far this is one of the best things you've written. By being an altered timeline, it's been free of your weird continuity kerfuffles and wtf nonsense moments (For both, See: Everything he has done with the Anti-Monitor, ever). It's your game to lose, pal.

  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    I'm the opposite in that I think flashpoint has been exceptionally bland. Issue 2 in particular was terrible.

  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rans wrote:
    I'm the opposite in that I think flashpoint has been exceptionally bland. Issue 2 in particular was terrible.

    I imagine that the world-building seems pointless to anyone who's reading the tie-ins, which reveal much more about the supporting cast and make their brief appearances in the main book seem paltry.

    But unfortunately, those appearances are really the meat of the first few issues of Flashpoint.

    And then there's Barry having to get hit by lightning twice, which only managed to kill a few pages and create an unnecessary cliffhanger. Hell, why couldn't he just start the event with his powers intact?

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    As someone buying half of the tie-ins, I can tell you that none of the ones I've read have added enough information, setting, detail, and flare to really be necessary beyond the main flashpoint mini. Even the big ones about Aquaman and Wonder Woman feel really drawn-out and bland so far, and the origin of their war is so flat that I imagine it will probably be covered entirely in a two page spread before the end of the main mini.

    Batman is by far the best of the tie-ins, and it's also one of the ones that does the least blatant world building. It takes the absolute core of the premise and runs with it, but it doesn't stop to explain why someone else is oracle in this universe, or how Batman's gambling empire came to be.

    Literally the biggest parts so far of the minis that have appeared in the main book were those crossover scenes. Lois Lane meeting the Resistance for the first time, Aquaman fighting Deathstroke, etc.

  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Wonder Woman, Aquaman, or Lois Lane tie-ins to be honest. They were pretty boring.

    I'm totally digging Batman, Abin Sur, Deadman and the Flying Graysons, Project Superman, and Deathstroke, though.

    pygsig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think the best issue I read was the Green Arrow Industries one. It felt the most original.

    I kind of gave up buying the other minis because they weren't that interesting, and like was mentioned, the biggest reveal of the Lois Lane mini showed up in the main series.

  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Flashpoint 4 preview is up.
    Some Hal Jordan setup, some Shazam kids stuff (I really wish that had gotten a mini... its the most interesting changeup of all the titles.)

    And Element Woman appearing. Guess this is to set her up for the post-Flashpoint stuff.

  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Preview? I've already read it. Same with Dark Knight. Both are very good. I sort of feel bad for Thomas Wayne after all of this.

  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Damn you, Algertman.

    I will slap you with a comically over-sized fish if I ever meet you in real life.

    beware

  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I really, really enjoyed Flashpoint #4. The whole series has been great.
    I was totes bummed when Enchantress betrayed Shazam.

    Nice synergy with Secret Seven, though.

    Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    That also works for the reboot given
    Enchantress is the main villain of Justice League Dark

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So uh

    Knight of Vengeance

    jesus christ

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    yeah

  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Flashpoint #4 was pretty bad.

    Apparently Johns' storytelling strategy for this mini was "All telling, no showing" and there is just... there's nothing to this thing. It's not good writing.

    Rans on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not sure what I really thing about Flashpoint 4. I mean it has some cool moments I guess, but I dunno.

    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It was bad because it was 90% talk. And outside of Barry trying to get his powers that's all the series has been, talk.
    Captain Thunder doesn't even get a chance to get a good punch in on WW, and then you have Enchantress turn heel. That's what bummed me out the most, that and how it looks like Booster really won't be showing up to help out, which I thought he would, him or Bart.

  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    What I didn't like was how
    The expected "big battle" between Aquaman and Wonder Woman and the Flash lasts all of like 2 pages. They just get there, and everyone is betrayed.

  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I agree. I've liked the mini up until this issue, and I liked most of this issue, but they totally botched
    the whole Atlantean/Amazon war, and the Superheroes joining up to stop it

    so badly that it brought the whole series down a few notches. It looks like we might get that rushed ending I worried about.
    It's a shame because essentially issue 2 should've never really happened, and the cogs should have started moving more in issue 3, with the big heroes joining up then so we could have gotten a real battle that had more consequences than you can fit into the 4 or 5 miserable pages we got here where our heroes made no impact at all on the overall war

    HadjiQuest on
Sign In or Register to comment.