As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scotland! Help a newbie traveller..

CathodeCathode Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello fine people. I find myself faced with the opportunity to hit up Scotland on the cheap for a little travelling in the end of may, after being stuck on the damned rock that is Iceland for the last X years. So I've tried doing a little research, and it turns out I don't really know anything about anything that is foreign, other than kilts, castles and whiskey :D So I was hope the good people here, some of which may or may not be acquainted with ye olde scottish highlands, might be able to give me some points on what to see, where to go, where I might be able to get the most bang for my buck so to speak. Advice from locals would of course be greatly appreciated. As far as tentative locations, I'll be heading into Glasgow, and I'm hoping to spend a few days there absorbing the atmosphere. After that, I've got approximately two weeks to take in further sights and sounds, before I have to make it back to glasgow to catch my return flight.

So, things I'm looking for. Well, to be candid, the magic in my life is gone, I'm a 22 year old white male caught in the grinder of modern living, and I need to rekindle my inspiration so that life is not a burdensome chore, basically. Now obviously taking a vacation isn't going to turn everything around overnight, other problems need fixing as well, but from this trip I really just want that sense of majesty, of wonder. To light up the imagination again. I'd really like to visit the highlands and take in the landscape, but again I don't know where to start, turns out a country is a pretty large place to play pin the tail on the donkey. So any suggestions as to parks or otherwise amazing natural vistas would be awesome. Also, castles, and historical sights, I'd love to get some of that in, absorb some older culture. Same goes for modern culture, art and science.

Anyway, I know this is pretty vague. Sadly, it is quite representative of me as a person, so I can only appeal to your kind spirits in the hope that someone may have some experience of Scotland such that they may disseminate it unto me. Any tips or pointers welcome. Thanks a lot!

"There is enough light to enlighten the elect, and enough darkness to humble them."
Cathode on

• Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edinburgh is pretty nifty. I came over for a holiday two years ago and never left.

Coming at the end of May you'll be too early for the festivals but it's a beautiful city none the less. Edinburgh Castle, The National Museum, The Scott Monument and Arthur's Seat are all great sights to see. There are also great views from each of these places. Mary King's Close and or any of the many walking tours can be fun if a little cheesy.

If you are looking for natural vistas pretty much anywhere in the highlands and islands will tick that box. It's really hard to miss up there. Pick any two points and driving between them will give you great scenery.

Galloway Forest has a Dark Sky Park which is supposed to be great for star gazing.

Hadrian's Wall is also pretty neat down on the Scottish/English border, especially if you are into Roman history.

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edinburgh is pretty Glasgow is where the pretty girls and fun are.

Please don't refer to it as "England". The locals are sensitive to the difference.

Also: Be prepared to like things deep-fried. Still, coming from a country where rotting shark marinated in piss is considered food, you should be OK on that score

V1m on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can, hit up the Isle of Skye and St. Andrews. Both are beautiful.

Loch Ness is a must though. Don't miss out on it.

Xaquin on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edinburgh was great. The place is beautiful, great nightlife and culture, and everyone was amazingly nice. We spent our whole week there, and enjoyed it, but if I had it to do over again I'd have gone elsewhere, too.

Glasgow was not well liked by our traveling partners, but they were older and generally said it was dirty.

St. Andrews was impressive to all visitors.

LaPuzza on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is eerily convenient for me as I've decided on Scotland for my holiday this year. I'll probably be renting a holiday cottage in the sticks.

My one and only previous holiday in Scotland took me to the west coast, going over to the islands of Mull and Iona. It's a beautiful country, and if you're looking to commune with nature or stuff like that I'd suggest the islands.

Edit: and if you're looking for culture and history, Iona has a sixth-century abbey and was a major centre of monasticism and learning.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I briefly went to Scotland a few years ago during my post-college-travel-the-world excursion. I was only there for 2 days, so I really only had time to see Edinburgh. However, I took a day tour that brought us up all over the northern part of the country including Loch Ness, so I got to see a bit of the countryside in addition to the city. I'm not normally a tour person, but sometimes it's easier to see more when you're strapped for time and transportation.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I spent some time in Scotland last summer. Fort William in the Western Highlands is a great place to set up camp, especially if you like outdoor activities and/or have a car. Day trips to places like Oban (whiskey/seafood) and the Isle of Skye (scenery/whiskey) are very doable and lots of fun. If possible, I'd recommend finding out where there is a highland games while you're in the area and trying to attend/participate. Always entertaining.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk is a great resource for finding out what's available and planning out a route. One thing to remember if you are driving is that Scotland doesn't really have much in the way of freeways, so the drives are often longer than you would initially plan for.

Whacktose on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Whacktose wrote: »
    I spent some time in Scotland last summer. Fort William in the Western Highlands is a great place to set up camp, especially if you like outdoor activities and/or have a car. Day trips to places like Oban (whiskey/seafood) and the Isle of Skye (scenery/whiskey) are very doable and lots of fun. If possible, I'd recommend finding out where there is a highland games while you're in the area and trying to attend/participate. Always entertaining.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk is a great resource for finding out what's available and planning out a route. One thing to remember if you are driving is that Scotland doesn't really have much in the way of freeways, so the drives are often longer than you would initially plan for.

I spent a bit of time in the Western Highlands and drove about for a week. Hiring a car was a good way of seeing the countryside, but from what I could tell, there was a good rural rail and bus network too.

The roads are good enough - on the mainland they are well kept and there isn't much in the way of traffic. Very scenic too. On the smaller islands the roads can revert to single lanes, with passing bays every 100 or so metres. Now that takes a bit of getting used to and you will have to be careful

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can also base yourself in Glasgow and have reasonable access to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs (get the train to Balloch) and/or the West Highland Way (get the train to Milngavie - it's pronounced "Mill-guy" btw).

japan on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Coming at the end of May you'll be too early for the festivals but it's a beautiful city none the less.
    What festivals and when? I'm going to be in England in early June and if there's crazy shit going on in Scotland I might as well swing around.

JAEF on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I may visit the Shetlands and Orkney this summer. Any tips?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The film festival is in June, the 15th to the 26th this year. It's my favourite but the Fringe festival in August is probably the best known.

Wikipedia has got a pretty good list of all the others.

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg