Options

[Hitman] Absolution is available sans sandboxes

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe the requirements of Silent Assassin have been changed.

Melee kills don't count against it.

All the people who heard the fight were melee killed.

The target didn't hear shit.

No shots fired, except for the silenced one at the end.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Clearly it was all just a dream Sam Fisher was having.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The requirements for Silent Assassin better not have changed

Jintor on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finally. I've always wanted 47 to be able to beat people silly with his own hands.

Sure, the heart of the game is that first play through where you try everything you can to avoid everyone, and kill the target silently. The meat of the game, though, has always been going back and ghosting specific targets in specifics ways, like deciding to kill all the actors with a screwdriver in the opera level.

Blood Money made some strides in loosening 47 up. You didn't need to "select" moves from a list, just approach a balcony or pipe or whatever, and he'll automatically start on it. Being able to wrestle away weapons, knock people out (although it was so damn clumsy for a guy capable of what that trailer depicts) and take hostages. So glad that they put some focus into making 47 more physically capable.

I hope that Silent Assassin requirements are still relatively the same, and that the best award/way to make money is that SA rating.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Honestly it seems like they are butchering the series in order to make it just like every other cliche'd big name game that's come out or is going to come out.. I'll reserve judgement but if they Red Faction: Armageddon this thing then I'll be more than happy just playing Blood Money over again.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    OR that was the tutorial level shown for press geezers.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I hope it was a tutorial because if they're making Hitman into a linear game the franchise is fucking dead

Kane and Lynch 1&2 were both linear as shit so that's why I'm worried

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    OR that was the tutorial level shown for press geezers.

If you read the article one of the developers goes on to say a bunch of shit that I'm too lazy to quote right now but sounds pretty ominous.

edit: maybe he didn't The only thing I could really get from that was
    Game director Tor Name mentioned that he wants Absolution to be less punishing than previous games, but we're hoping that doesn't simply mean every solution and every kill is spelled out for you in great big letters. After all, the payoff of experimentation has always been one of the hallmarks of the franchise. And beyond difficulty, there's also the question of how the game design will change with 47 being on the defensive rather than the offensive. Traditionally you've always been the man in control, sneaking into a target's stronghold and taking your sweet time studying the best way to assassinate him. Now, you're seemingly on the run from everyone--a la Jason Bourne--and that change is bound to have some consequences.

So I guess it could go either way. I hope your right. I hope that was just the tutorial level.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would rather hope they don't do a SC:Conviction, but there was still plenty of things in that article that got me excited (dudes tumbling through floorboards, nice).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I hope it was a tutorial because if they're making Hitman into a linear game the franchise is fucking dead

Kane and Lynch 1&2 were both linear as shit so that's why I'm worried

To be fair, Blood Money's tutorial was a straight and linear level to introduce mechanics. The tutorial even forced the player into confrontations and killing people (like the guys sorting money and drugs in that one room). I'm assuming and hoping this is the same deal. Otherwise it sounds kind of real bad. I stopped reading at the part about a helicopter chase, because I realized regardless of whether this is representative of the game's whole or not, this preview obviously wasn't for my interests.

Edit: Though, I do wonder a bit why they create tutorials that seem entirely antithetical to everything that 47 is in the story or whatever. He's always supposed to be a super-assassin capable of killing just his target without anyone being the wiser, but these tutorials have him bumbling around with forced murder rampages.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mainly because they have to teach you the mechanics of how to get out of a situation if you're spotted, etc

Jintor on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're fine as tutorials, but fucking awful demos.

Yeah, that article didn't do anything to alleviate my apprehension. That would be cool if you completely screwed up the mission and now had the cops all over you. The description does feel like a tutorial to me, and a way to set up the current circumstances. I just hope missions don't devolve into scripted chase sequences. This game has always, and should, be about getting into somewhere, doing your hit, and getting out. I'd have thought they learned their lesson with the terrible run and gun missions from the first game, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

a new tool called instinct, which functions a lot like detective vision in Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's an alternate vision mode that outlines enemies--very useful in this dark and ominous library level--and gives you a small visible pathway that your enemy is walking along.
    -a thunderous soundtrack to match the heightened action.
    It's a game that seems to be aiming for more of a scripted, cinematic style than previous games in the series.
    But once he made it onto the roof, it seemed as though he was funneled into one specific path to focus on the scripted visual flourishes.
    Game director Tor Name mentioned that he wants Absolution to be less punishing than previous games

Looks like I've just saved $80AUD

Dram on
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At least we have Blood Money.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First clearly scripted E3 demo came out different than everyone anticipated. Time to pack it up and start general internet panic and pre-order canceling.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    A) Instinct can be turned off at higher difficulty levels.

B) What, and Hitman didn't occasionally have dramatic music?

C) Speculation

D) Speculation

E) Requires qualification

This ain't no Conviction just yet.

Jintor on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    When they talk about it being less punishing it's entirely possible that they're referring to say, moments in the opera house when everyone suddenly and inexplicably realises what a dick you are.

Tube on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, most of the stuff which raised an eyebrow was quickly ignored when I realised that it is pure speculation on the journalist's behalf, who seemed to be assumming that the demo that he didn't get to play was indicitve of the entire game.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Boy, this certainly doesn't stink of Splinter Cell:Conviction.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, most of the stuff which raised an eyebrow was quickly ignored when I realised that it is pure speculation on the journalist's behalf, who seemed to be assumming that the demo that he didn't get to play was indicitve of the entire game.

Yeah, I think that dev video said that there were different types of levels. Some were these chase / manhunt style ones and other were traditional to break up the gameplay a bit.
    At least that's what I got out of it.
    And as I said before, Hitman being less punishing doesn't automatically default to Kirby levels of ease. There are a lot of places it could stand to be relaxed without gameplay suffering.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Personally I'm thrilled if they throw in improvised murder techniques, ways to use scenery to off people. Makes it more dynamic, I think that'd be nice!

But in point of the preview though, it feels pretty much like the player may have been able to just sneak through the level if he wanted to. That'd be what I'd expect.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Which is probably fun to play but totally boring to watch. I've been playing Splinter Cell Conviction's Deniable Ops Infiltration and I have loads of fun doing it but each section has taken me something like 20-30 minutes.
    The time limits that you can set for those sections top out at 5 minutes.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Check it! Gameplay footage (you'll have to find the shortcut link in the skip-to bar down the bottom), and it's all in... uh... Scandalnavian (I can't tell the languages from one another)

And official trailer link!

Looks like early days yet. Telling that nobody scored anything playable... and that the footage has a bunch of kinks to work out still.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    uhh i cant find the gameplay footage

edit: Found it. Not enough footage to speak of, but looks like there's a cover system and I get the distinct vibe we won't be getting seperate missions anymore.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's the pop-up thingy that says Hitman on it

Or possibly IO Interactive

It's where the progress bar on the screen is, hover over that and it brings up an overlay, find the shortcut that says Hitman on it

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    go past the midway point, its the second marker there

Big Classy on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The way I found it was that it said something about Agent 47.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm really excited that they've implemented a cover system. I know everyone is afraid they are making 47 too much like Altair, but I think it's fair to think that he could crouch behind something if he's getting shot at rather than just run away standing straight up.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm really excited that they've implemented a cover system. I know everyone is afraid they are making 47 too much like Altair, but I think it's fair to think that he could crouch behind something if he's getting shot at rather than just run away standing straight up.

I think people are more afraid that Kane & Lynch are bleeding into IO's work. More flexibility on 47's part should always be welcomed. He's supposed to be fully capable of basically anything we've seen other sneaky protagonists do, but he's always been the least nimble and most rigid in-game character. If they told me I could parkour deftly as 47 but it would in no way interfere with the ability to simply crowd-stealth the level, I wouldn't blink an eye.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's a totally fair assessment.

The tech demo didn't make me too nervous because they seem like they were clearly trying to sell the new features.

Maybe things like that helicopter set piece will be annoying on certain levels, but there was no way they were just going to show somebody stealthing through a level. That'd be boring to show at E3. They wanted to show off cover and shootouts and environmental kills and hiding out.

I'm not being an apologist for a game that is far from release, I'm just saying at worst you can say that results are inconclusive.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Cover systems" blow ass.

Like, I'm not even getting into this game in particular; I mean in general. Cover systems suck.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MegaMek wrote: »
    "Cover systems" blow ass.

Like, I'm not even getting into this game in particular; I mean in general. Cover systems suck.

Cover systems are necessary to let you do things one might want to do were they taking cover from people shooting at them though.

Although if Valve can give Ep 3 first-person blind-fire, I'd be happy just so we could realize how inaccurate blind fire actually is.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sometimes I think I was the only person who liked Splinter Cell: Conviction.

It was different, but it was still a fun game.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Sometimes I think I was the only person who liked Splinter Cell: Conviction.

It was different, but it was still a fun game.

I really enjoyed it. Without spoiling, I thought the transitional gameplay was logical and did a nice job of marrying new elements with old.

The checkpoint system sucked though.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Conviction was a pretty fun game. And killing lots of dudes with a friend is always good times.

But it wasn't the stealth game all the old fans wanted it to be. In fact, it seams stealth games are really falling out of fashion altogether.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It depends on the type of game. I was pleasantly surprised at how natural cover systems felt in DX, for example. Stealth-ish games work better with cover I feel.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, the way it works in DX is pretty cool; all the context-sensitive commands give you more freedom to move around. It's still somewhat clunky to me tho, and I'm glad it's not really necessary.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got a silk hitman tie at E3 today. Had to be at the booth when they premiered the new trailer to get it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Yeah, the way it works in DX is pretty cool; all the context-sensitive commands give you more freedom to move around. It's still somewhat clunky to me tho, and I'm glad it's not really necessary.

The mandatory boss examination really teaches you how clunky it is for anything not involving stealthy instant-takedowns

Jintor on