As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding volunteer work

ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been thinking of what to do for this summer, especially since I'm finishing my second year of undergrad, and I really want to do something outside of school or random work. I applied to some jobs and unpaid internships, but its cutthroat, so I would really like to volunteer as well.

I've been looking for ways to find some local opportunities and found http://www.volunteermatch.org.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience finding volunteer work through them and if they can recommend them, or any other such site.

I live in the Chicago area, if that helps. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
ShinyRedKnight on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I met MOSI and the Field Museum are looking for summer camp volunteers

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you specify what kind of volunteer work interests you, I'm sure folks here could offer some suggestions.

I may as well mention where I volunteer as an idea -- Recording for The Blind & Dyslexic (it just recently changed its name to "Learning Ally".) What I do (and many volunteers do) is read aloud books and college texts at the org's recording studios so people with learning/visual disabilities will have access to them.

It's a great cause, fun to do, and doesn't look half bad on the ol' resume. There's a studio in Chicago if it suits your fancy.

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    Vera12Vera12 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Local libraries are always lookng for volunteers. Just show up one day and ask if they need help with anything. You might have to fill out an application of some sort, but its usually nominal and mostly so they have info on you if something happens while you're there. It probably won't be exciting work. At the one I volunteer at shelving books or cutting paper for the children's program is the norm, but if you're a decent and reliable worker you might get a snazzy recommendation out of it.

Vera12 on
    Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh right forgot to mention what fields I'm looking for.

I'm interested in human rights/ international law, so anything remotely to do with that is great.

EDIT: So anything with humanitarian goals or similar. For example I volunteered at a homeless shelter as part of a school project awhile back and really enjoyed it. That specific shelter isn't on the top of my list as its too far from where I live at the moment.

Though really my biggest worry is finding a trustworthy service that can get me in contact with such organizations, like the one I mentioned in the OP.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight