As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dram wrote: »
    When I logged on for my first game with my friend last night it was night time, just before dawn. So dark I couldn't see anything at all except a camp fire in the distance. I crawled towards it, and couldn't see anyone, but didn't want to take any chances. I backed away and threw 2 flares. 2 people came running out and looked for the source. I backed off the way I came. Then I head a zombie near by. It was still dark and I couldn't see a thing. So I remained perfectly still for the next 15 mins until light started to appear on the horizon.
    When I could start to make out silhouettes I noticed a church not too far off. This alerted me to the fact I was on the outskirts of Chernogorsk. I got the hell out of there and headed north into the trees. At this time my friend joined and figured out he was between Chern and the next town to the east. We decided to meet at Pusta. I moved around Chern and crawled across fields. Almost crouch ran straight through a throng hoppers because I couldn't see much in the low light of dawn. I powered on and eventually reached the forest southwest of Pusta. Then my friend died of thirst. He spawned in the same place, luckily. As we were meeting up, some guy drove past in a car, being chased by a load of zombies. We hit the deck, not knowing if he was friend or foe, and to wanting to find out. We checked nearby buildings for loot, but didn't find anything. My friend lost his backpack and gear from swimming for too long out to a deserted island.
    After filling my canteen, we decided to loot Prigorodky. Our first proper looting run. As we crossed the open field toward and dealt with the local zombies, bullets began landing next to us. We legged it back towards the forest. As we took cover, we saw a guy driving off in a car. The same guy from before. He drove away for about 100 metres to get enough distance from the zombies chasing him, and then got out to shoot at us again. Once again he got back in his car. This time he drove off down the road and out of sight. We decided to make a move for the town again. As we crossed the open field a gunshot rang out and I fell down dead. A second shot and my buddy was dead. Somehow this guy had some back to within range without us hearing his car at all.

God, this sounds like the coolest thing. What was the time span from when your friend joined, to when he died of thirst. Its sounds like he died of thirst rather fast, which is kind of lame...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    When I logged on for my first game with my friend last night it was night time, just before dawn. So dark I couldn't see anything at all except a camp fire in the distance. I crawled towards it, and couldn't see anyone, but didn't want to take any chances. I backed away and threw 2 flares. 2 people came running out and looked for the source. I backed off the way I came. Then I head a zombie near by. It was still dark and I couldn't see a thing. So I remained perfectly still for the next 15 mins until light started to appear on the horizon.
    When I could start to make out silhouettes I noticed a church not too far off. This alerted me to the fact I was on the outskirts of Chernogorsk. I got the hell out of there and headed north into the trees. At this time my friend joined and figured out he was between Chern and the next town to the east. We decided to meet at Pusta. I moved around Chern and crawled across fields. Almost crouch ran straight through a throng hoppers because I couldn't see much in the low light of dawn. I powered on and eventually reached the forest southwest of Pusta. Then my friend died of thirst. He spawned in the same place, luckily. As we were meeting up, some guy drove past in a car, being chased by a load of zombies. We hit the deck, not knowing if he was friend or foe, and to wanting to find out. We checked nearby buildings for loot, but didn't find anything. My friend lost his backpack and gear from swimming for too long out to a deserted island.
    After filling my canteen, we decided to loot Prigorodky. Our first proper looting run. As we crossed the open field toward and dealt with the local zombies, bullets began landing next to us. We legged it back towards the forest. As we took cover, we saw a guy driving off in a car. The same guy from before. He drove away for about 100 metres to get enough distance from the zombies chasing him, and then got out to shoot at us again. Once again he got back in his car. This time he drove off down the road and out of sight. We decided to make a move for the town again. As we crossed the open field a gunshot rang out and I fell down dead. A second shot and my buddy was dead. Somehow this guy had some back to within range without us hearing his car at all.

God, this sounds like the coolest thing. What was the time span from when your friend joined, to when he died of thirst. Its sounds like he died of thirst rather fast, which is kind of lame...

You have to eat and drink every 2 hours as in real time but you can drink sea water or coke or regs water... you just have to drink.....

Game time is real time. If you are on a server in your timezone.... sunset out your window = sunset in game.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    OK. Wow. Its an ugly, rough around the edges, bleak world. But shit man, there are some
    My first death was to a team mate :D I should have answered his call if i was friendly but had no idea how to do it.
    Yeah, sorry about that. :(

• Options
    Yall wrote: »
    OK. Wow. Its an ugly, rough around the edges, bleak world. But shit man, there are some
    My first death was to a team mate :D I should have answered his call if i was friendly but had no idea how to do it.
    Yeah, sorry about that. :(

The best part was me not really bringing it up, but Ais slowly realizing that you killed me and us all laughing about it. No worries. My first death was a grand one!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I'm so sad that I am in the wrong time zone to play this game with you guys. Seems like there are no EU Arcadians playing this at the moment. If someone is up for starting a game any time in the next four hours or so though, hit me up.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm in the UK. Give me a few days and I might be able to hop on.

A few things bug me though.

The real time thing is stupid, especially as the game starts you with next to zero in regards to night time navigation. Who the the hell has the time to play this in the day? Don't these people fucking work?

Also, it should at least start you with a map. What kind of retard goes hiking with a revolver, a backpack... but no damned map?

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    lu tze wrote: »
    I'm in the UK. Give me a few days and I might be able to hop on.

A few things bug me though.

The real time thing is stupid, especially as the game starts you with next to zero in regards to night time navigation. Who the the hell has the time to play this in the day? Don't these people fucking work?

Also, it should at least start you with a map. What kind of retard goes hiking with a revolver, a backpack... but no damned map?

Its not that bad maps are everywhere on the net and street signs are abundant <<enough >>

The day night thing.... yeah... its a weird choice. Some servers cut night off. Some servers time shift 5 hours or so. It will be interesting to see where the dev takes that one as server admins are finding ways around it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The day night thing.... yeah... its a weird choice. Some servers cut night off. Some servers time shift 5 hours or so. It will be interesting to see where the dev takes that one as server admins are finding ways around it.

I'm always worried when a game mod has devs with a Grand Vision and damn everyone else.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I'm always worried when a game mod has devs with a Grand Vision and damn everyone else.

I'll agree that the game usually suffers for it, but then again it sometimes leads to a really unique experience. Night varies a lot in its severity on different servers too. I kind of like the extra gameplay elements it adds, seeing a flare in the distance and not knowing if it is a survivor who needs help or a bandit looking to trap you is pretty exciting.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Night time is the best time.

I've had more fun at night in this mod than I have had playing it in the day.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I didn't say remove night time. It's not night I have a problem with, it's the 1:1 time ratio.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    I didn't say remove night time. It's not night I have a problem with, it's the 1:1 time ratio.

This is a good call. night is fun. being locked into it if night time is all you can play is not.

@Echo- this kind of "strong vision" can be bad but it can also be what makes mods/indie stuff different from AAA games. they can try things very very differently.

That said- Rocket/Dev Team does take things into consideration- Some things have/are changed (your character becoming dehydrated/starving because you haven't played in a few days) based on public want so far.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Don't see why they turn the Night/Day rotation in to a 8 hour thing, that way you can play either time and still get both settings.

Game has some good sound effects going for it. I was looting a body and heard a zombie... turned out he had my number already and he chased me down after I blew all my ammo on other Zeds.... I screamed a bit and my wife called me a girl

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Needs to be an odd number, otherwise players will still hit the same time every time they play.

The cycle needs to be short enough that you can make interesting choices about when to be more active, but long enough that you can still get a reasonable amount done during the day or night.

Say you want to wait until nightfall to move around, because you have some reasonable equipment and you think it'll be safer. Right now, waiting for the sun to go down entails holding your dick in your hand for 12 hours... that's not a game any more.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I don't mind adapting to what the server gives me, shifting my goals and finding things to do on the games terms instead of my own. It's not something I want for every game. That'd pretty much suck. I'm willing to give it to this mod though, it's interesting seeing something that makes no concessions to the player. You have to deal with it on its own terms, and that really appeals to me in the survivalist sense. It's reminding me a bit of The Zone in STALKER SoC.

• Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    When do you guys usually play? We should organize a night to run away from Zack as a group.

• Options
    I am getting on now.

Update install then im in vent.

• Options
    I hope this sudden popularity leads to more servers.

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    If they offered a linux compatible server I would host one in a heartbeat.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    I probably won't even be able to play until Sunday and it's literally killing me. Literally. For realz.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

It was about an hour. He already had a character from a previous session he'd played. While you're logged out, your characters still get hungry and thirsty. He logged in and began slowly dying of thirst.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I am loving this quite a bit. I know it is still in Alpha, but if I had a magic wand that could change/add things then here is a list of what I'd personally would like to see.

Multiple spawning points across the map. Hopefully this would cut down on the rampant PKing and Bean Wars of the coast.

Make the zombies shamble instead of sprint. One part because I greatly prefer the walkers over runners thematically and two because I find it impossibly hard to actually shoot a zombie that is running at me. Even if I do hit him it will not register half the time. Plus once a zombie gets within hitting distance of me they magically teleport behind me. So I have just stopped trying to kill them while they are running and simply wait for them to start hitting me. Although the hobbling zombies can stay the same since they creep me the fuck out.

To go with the above wish, I'd also increase (maybe greatly) the damage zombies do. So if you do get cornered by those walkers, you are fucked unless you are a great shot.

Possibly add an "infection" stat from being bit. It probably wouldn't be a 100% guarantee, maybe 1/10 zombie bites would infect you. Which over time will kill you unless you find a cure or something. Hell, maybe just use a blood transfusion as the "cure".

A PK's skin changing to that of a "bandit" is something I like. I do not think I would do much more to them than that. Maybe set it so the lower your humanity the more chance you have of getting infected? Which if that was the case then to reward those who aren't jackasses, the higher your humanity the less likely you are to be infected.

Melee weapons. They wouldn't be an alternative to firearms, simply a backup. Perhaps they would take the secondary weapon slot. I see melee weapons being good enough to take care of a single zombie, maybe two at once, but anymore and you can kiss your ass goodbye.

I know comms is kinda of fucked at the moment, but if it was working I would disable any form of global communication and make direct comms the only method to talk. Not so much because of immersion, but more because the less access a person has to easy communication the more paranoid they will become. :twisted: At the most, I think I would have a map-grid wide chat.

Would change more buildings to be enterable. Currently once you know what to look for you can safely skip whole villages.

Some of these things may well be added in the future, others maybe cannot be added at all, and still some probably will not be added because it's not what the Devs want. That's cool, these are just things I think would be neat is all.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    This guy makes interesting videos.

I'd pay moneys for a full indie game made out of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpisVPveIkc

• Options
    Basically, DayZ is what I wished Stalker had - a full co-op mode. And Stalker is made for this kind of gameplay.

• Options
    Basically, DayZ is what I wished Stalker had - a full co-op mode. And Stalker is made for this kind of gameplay.
    Stop it, I'm getting aroused.

Wasn't there a Stalker MMO in the works, or did I dream it?

World's best janitor
  • Options
    So I almost avenged our guys. They died at the hands of two bandits who had no idea I was en route to our location. Dropped one, and then got the jump on the other one and unloaded a fullMakarov mag into him at point blank range, only to see him turn around and one shot me with a rifle or shotgun. I take comfort in the fact that he is now without support and must be near death, and surrounded by zombies who were hopefully aggro'ed by all of the gun fire. Burn in hell bandit scum.

• Options
    That was brutal. But what a run.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Me, mojojoeo and Aiserou just had a heart-wrenching end to a long and successful adventure.

We were going to meet up with Yall in one of the northern towns after moving there through a series of smaller towns and villages, gathering quite a horde of equipment along the way. We had had a very safe journey so far and did not imagine that there would be any other players that had travelled so far north. As we grouped up and looked down the hill after Yall, six shots suddenly rang from behind and in less than five seconds all three of us were dead. I have no idea how many they were and if they had tracked us or just stumbled upon us, but we never stood a chance.

My one big complaint about the PVP in this game is how heavily skewed it is in favour of the bandits. Since killing a bandit on sight will get you the bandit skin you can not simply shoot them, and the weapons in the game are so powerful that the element of surprise (that they will inevitably have as they do not care about humanity loss) will guarantee victory. I really like what PVP adds to the game, but I do wish they would add something to give the friendlies more of a chance to fight back.

Vic on
  • Options
    What server were you all rocking on?

• Options
    NY3 I think, some of them might still be on ventrilo.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Me, mojojoeo and Aiserou just had a heart-wrenching end to a long and successful adventure.

We were going to meet up with Yall in one of the northern towns after moving there through a series of smaller towns and villages, gathering quite a horde of equipment along the way. We had had a very safe journey so far and did not imagine that there would be any other players that had travelled so far north. As we grouped up and looked down the hill after Yall, six shots suddenly rang from behind and in less than five seconds all three of us were dead. I have no idea how many they were and if they had tracked us or just stumbled upon us, but we never stood a chance.

My one big complaint about the PVP in this game is how heavily skewed it is in favour of the bandits. Since killing a bandit on sight will get you the bandit skin you can not simply shoot them, and the weapons in the game are so powerful that the element of surprise (that they will inevitably have as they do not care about humanity loss) will guarantee victory. I really like what PVP adds to the game, but I do wish they would add something to give the friendlies more of a chance to fight back.

It's likely that killing bandits will eventually yield some kind of reward in future releases.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Vic wrote: »

It's likely that killing bandits will eventually yield some kind of reward in future releases.

That's nice, but for starters I really feel like they should be free kills. Make humanity recover slowly over time, so that every player kill nets you 24 hours with a bandit skill during which anyone can kill you with no repercussion. This time can be shortened by other sources of humanity such as healing other players.

This would risk splitting the player base, but I feel this has already naturally happened. The psychopaths have free reign, and it is exceedingly hard to fight them.

Vic on
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    need mans on vent to shoot things

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DUDES. The murderers didn't loot our bodies. I just got all my equipment, my pack, and the epipens back. Fuck yes. I MISSED YOU SO MUCH GPS

Edit : Also I'm pretty sure I saw the guy that killed me get killed about half an hour later. Karma is a bitch.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    Stop it, I'm getting aroused.

Wasn't there a Stalker MMO in the works, or did I dream it?

I think, IIRC, the most recent news was that STALKER 2 was dead, but the dudes are making a STALKER-esque MMO.

STALKER news is so confusing at the moment.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That would be Survarium. But, its not an MMO, its level based.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »
    That would be Survarium. But, its not an MMO, its level based.

Are you sure? All the news articles I am reading say it is an MMO.

edit- A free to play MMO at that.

Axen on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Hmm, I could have sworn they said that in an update that it wasn't an MMO anymore. I was pretty disappointed when I saw that. If its not true, then fantastic.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I'd like to see some sort or dynamic events, maybe a helo crash or something that would draw people to it.

That would cause some interesting moments of tension

I haven't had any problems with PKers but I like that elemnt of surprise you never know when shits going to get heavy

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So uh... my computer can finally run this game now.

It seems Day Z is the in thing right now. How difficult would it be for someone new to ARMAII but very, very familiar with STALKER to make the leap?