As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I might actually have it working, although the patched servers are down, probably getting the 1.5.6 update. Should know as soon as I can get the update myself - the server is getting hammered right now.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I'm in!

Feel like I just ran an IT marathon. ;)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This is pretty much what I've been doing tonight. Minus having people laze targets for me since I'm just playing solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojbltgfc_Q

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Thanks to Vinny and Drew on GiantBomb I'm downloading this to try the zombie mod.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Myself and 2 friends took on the original Operation Flashpoint desert ambush mission last night. Great fun.

Our plan was mostly similar to this series of videos. Except for our initial ambush, we lay a single mine on the road, and set satchel charges along the road in front of it. So when the first BMP hits the mine, we detonate the satchel charges and blow up the rest of the convoy.

The comes the desperate defense against a counter attack from all sides. Once that's over, we hijack 2 Mi-24 choppers and blow everything else to kingdom come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5O13KVfcBw

Dram on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    How does ArmA Free work again? Can they join a server running a mod/custom mission as long as there's no new content required?

Basically, wondering what my ArmA-less buddy can play together with me.

No mods

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    How does ArmA Free work again? Can they join a server running a mod/custom mission as long as there's no new content required?

Basically, wondering what my ArmA-less buddy can play together with me.
    If the server requires a mod to be installed such as ACE, no it will not work. You can do any custom mission though. You can also check the bottom of the website, it will tell you the difference between free,2 and Operation Arrowhead http://www.arma2.com/free .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    OK. Any run where you walk away with a g17 and a revolver and an AK (6 clips) and gear.... and you pals have an m16 with under slung, and a silenced mp5.... no deaths.

Survived being shot multiple times. Killed (spotted and softened up and absorbed their bullets at least...) bandits....

Today was a good good day....

This is what under slung flares do.... so bright! So short..... Bare in mind we did this in a bandit filled town and area...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo8-8IMhYkU

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    Right after you guys left I spawned in at the top of the castle at Zub to find a bandit right in front of me. Luckily he was busy looting and didn't see me, so I put a few rounds into him and guess what I got! An M4, a couple mags, an ALICE pack, matches, a map, DMR mags, even some AK and G17 mags that I didn't have enough room for! Pretty good haul for 5 minutes of playing.

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Right after you guys left I spawned in at the top of the castle at Zub to find a bandit right in front of me. Luckily he was busy looting and didn't see me, so I put a few rounds into him and guess what I got! An M4, a couple mags, an ALICE pack, matches, a map, DMR mags, even some AK and G17 mags that I didn't have enough room for! Pretty good haul for 5 minutes of playing.

Holy crap. He must have just missed us.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I want to join in on this Day-Z madness.

But I just bought Alan Wake and Arkham City, arghhh

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I want to join in on this Day-Z madness.

But I just bought Alan Wake and Arkham City, arghhh

Its pretty nifty, but in my opinion you're not really missing anything at the moment. Its still very rough around the edges.

If you wait a couple of months, then play Day-Z, it could be even better by the time you get into it, provided the dev keeps with his regular updates / additions.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's really impressive for an Alpha build, but Day Z is an Alpha build for sure. There's a lot of frustration involved with playing. Stuff like inventory bugs, lack of servers, and a general lack of anything to do beyond looting and pillaging means you may be happier if you wait a bit for a more polished game that has the infrastructure to actually handle its community. Especially if you don't own Arma 2 Combined Ops or have any interest in the base game. If Day Z does indeed go commercial, which I think is highly likely given who is involved and what it has done for Arma 2 sales, then it could end up disappearing from public very soon to enter serious development.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    or it moves to ARMA 3 which it already works for and you will need to buy that game.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I really hope that if they make a standalone, they announce that before ARMA 3. I would hate to have bought ARMA 2 and ARMA 3 only to have to buy standalone DayZ too.

• Options
    I'll be buying ARMA 3 regardless so I don't really care if it's standalone. I think it would work really well as DLC since they could then use the same island assets from ARMA 3.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Suds wrote: »
    I'll be buying ARMA 3 regardless so I don't really care if it's standalone. I think it would work really well as DLC since they could then use the same island assets from ARMA 3.

Pretty much. Arma 3 was on my radar anyways. I hear the arma 3 map is 4 times bigger than what day z has in chernaus, 4 times bigger- with every building fully modeled and enterable. and its islands.... in an ocean. There had better be god damned ski doos everywhere to get around.

• Options
    Amazingly Takistan is also bigger than Chernarus.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    That Day Z mod looks so crazy, i just saw an article on it:
    http://kotaku.com/5908753/this-might-be-the-greatest-zombie-game-ever-made

What do you need to play the mod? Arma II + all expansions? Does anyone here play it? How do you like it?

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Well, I've got it installed.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    That Day Z mod looks so crazy, i just saw an article on it:
    http://kotaku.com/5908753/this-might-be-the-greatest-zombie-game-ever-made

What do you need to play the mod? Arma II + all expansions? Does anyone here play it? How do you like it?

Take a look over the last few pages.

• Options
    So, I run around for a while. Run into a survivor, can't figure out how to talk to him, but we don't shoot each other and part ways. I accidentally drink all my water and find an empty tin can.

As I approach a nearby town, I see a survivor running past me chased by zombies. I hide behind a truck and let them go by. Later I hear gunshots, and come up on a survivor trapped on top of a catwalk, shooting down at some zombies climbing up at him. I flank the zombies and kill a few. He says thanks for the assist...and then I accidentally fall off the catwalk to my death.

I hope he enjoyed that empty tin can.

• Options
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    So, I run around for a while. Run into a survivor, can't figure out how to talk to him, but we don't shoot each other and part ways. I accidentally drink all my water and find an empty tin can.

As I approach a nearby town, I see a survivor running past me chased by zombies. I hide behind a truck and let them go by. Later I hear gunshots, and come up on a survivor trapped on top of a catwalk, shooting down at some zombies climbing up at him. I flank the zombies and kill a few. He says thanks for the assist...and then I accidentally fall off the catwalk to my death.

I hope he enjoyed that empty tin can.

Use the "," and "." keys to change channels (go to Side Channel) and use "/" to talk. Tin cans are used as a distraction for zombies, use "F" to cycle through to it and toss it where you want Z's to go.

• Options
    So, I'm in this town, shooting some zombies, and I spot a flare up ahead. I say, oh, a survivor, lets meet up with him.

I go to the flare and I'm standing around looking...and I spot this guy crouched behind some cover watching me. BAM BAM, he shoots me dead. Ambush!

Or so he thought, because when he went over to loot me I shot him in the foot.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So, I'm in this town, shooting some zombies, and I spot a flare up ahead. I say, oh, a survivor, lets meet up with him.

I go to the flare and I'm standing around looking...and I spot this guy crouched behind some cover watching me. BAM BAM, he shoots me dead. Ambush!

Lol.

I caught a bandit sneaking up on me and Ais and we laid in wait (he somehow did not see me or think i saw him.) He got me good but our combined attack got him. So im laying at Ais's feet as he now fights off the zombie horde that the mexican standoff alerted,I was gunshot and unconcious, broken and bleeding. My screen was a view of looking up at Ais is firing at a target I cannot see. A couple bandages and meds and steaks and Im back up to speed so to speak.

Then later Yall shot me yet again as we ran from zombies in pitch black. It broke my leg and I belly crawled into a long house some 30 m away.... ill get Yall back witha stray one day... so I'm not to worried about it.

And then I accidentally shot Ais. In the gut. It was dark and bloodloss made my vision poor.

At the end of the night we butchered a cow and had a nascar pit crew fast gutting and fire up (then quickly out) to get our blood up and our position unfound.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular

And in the end, you get the last laugh, because in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I'd rather die fast than die slow.

• Options
    latest arma 2 beta patch fixes direct chat

• Options
    If there was only a sale...ill be waiting but a lot of friends are shwoing interest in z day mod.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    A dmr and 4 clips to go with my ak and 6 clips? Sure why not.

I am about to take a long weekend away @ the beach.... may have to hunt bandits tonight

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Do the Day-Z servers have in-game voice enabled? Does speaking out loud alert zombies?

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Do the Day-Z servers have in-game voice enabled? Does speaking out loud alert zombies?

Yes but you are to use direct chat only- future mods patches will remove all but that.

And im not sure... why would you talk to a zombie?

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm not sure if direct VON alerts zombies. The AI will react to it in the standard game AFAIK, so the routines are there for it, probably best to play safe.

I know one thing, it sure as fuck alerts players... And we all know which is the more dangerous animal.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    I'm not sure if direct VON alerts zombies. The AI will react to it in the standard game AFAIK, so the routines are there for it, probably best to play safe.

I know one thing, it sure as fuck alerts players... And we all know which is the more dangerous animal.

turns-out-its-man_288x216.jpg

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

Why not use vent or something? How does voice chat alret players to your position?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Why not use vent or something? How does voice chat alret players to your position?

The in game direct voice chat is basically like talking in the real world. You say something and people around you can hear it. Even if it was not meant for their ears. So if there was a bandit in hiding and you guys were discussing that awesome episode of MLP (you know the one), well the bandit will hear it all if he is within earshot.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Because you can yell at other players in proximity to alert friendly's/ tell bandits to fuck right off.

So you use the arma key of caps lock to taunt in local and you use your vent key to talk to us.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Because you can yell at other players in proximity to alert friendly's/ tell bandits to fuck right off.

So you use the arma key of caps lock to taunt in local and you use your vent key to talk to us.

Bandits? I'm still new to the z day stuff. Is there some sort of goal or just open world walking around scavenging?

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

We're talking about the game's built in voice chat, in which anyone who's close to you can hear what you're saying (your mouth even moves... quite nifty actually).

We do use vent, which has all the advantages and none of the drawbacks. For that reason external comms is also frowned upon (but everyone fucking uses it anyway).
    Bandits? I'm still new to the z day stuff. Is there some sort of goal or just open world walking around scavenging?
    The goal is survival. I think they may be putting in missions later though (there's talk of radios).

Look, if you're new to ARMA... bullets are lethal. This isn't COD. One bullet can and will kill you, and a lot of the times you'll never even know where it came from. Couple that with the permadeath, and the scarcity of items... and this leads to a very tense atmosphere.

Bandits are just people who would rather kill you than talk to you (or avoid you). Either because they're wankers, they think it's a better way to scavenge (why work), or because they see other people as too great a risk (can't blame them).

lu tze on
    World's best janitor