As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snowbeat [think]s this thread sucks. Go home, everyone.

ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
I posed this question to the school thread last night at like 3 in the morning and got some interesting answers, so I figured I'd extend it to the rest of you. What's your thought process like?

Personally, when I'm reading, writing, or about to say something, I hear it in my head. It's not my own voice, it's a voice that I identify as Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. It's ambiguous. Not really a child's voice, but somewhat akin to a female voice actor providing a voice for a young male. Sometimes, though, the voice in my head switches over to the voice that I identify as Hobbes.

But when I'm just pondering something, I'll see the words in my head. Not words like "and," the important words. It's every other word, or every third word, just in my head, in big, boldface letters.

Scrumtrulescent on

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    With my brain.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Slowly.

tynic on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tracy's is more of a tactile-kinesthetic learning style

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    two to the chest, one to the face if they're still breathing. I know a man with an incinerator.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i also tend to hear my thoughts as if they are being spoken by someone

i do not think there is a specific voice that i can identify but i don't think in pictures or sounds, i think in words

Quoth on
  • Options
    Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

Bizzaro Stormy on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hear thoughts in my own voice, though less high pitched, in my own accent. I don't visualise words unless I do purposely, but I do see images.

Liiya on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I posed this question to the school thread last night at like 3 in the morning and got some interesting answers, so I figured I'd extend it to the rest of you. What's your thought process like?

Personally, when I'm reading, writing, or about to say something, I hear it in my head. It's not my own voice, it's a voice that I identify as Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. It's ambiguous. Not really a child's voice, but somewhat akin to a female voice actor providing a voice for a young male. Sometimes, though, the voice in my head switches over to the voice that I identify as Hobbes.

But when I'm just pondering something, I'll see the words in my head. Not words like "and," the important words. It's every other word, or every third word, just in my head, in big, boldface letters.

It really depends on how "awake" my brain is.

If I'm just about to fall asleep I don't have a coherent mental voice at all. I just feel like I forget whatever thoughts I have a second or so after having them.

If I'm not really doing something that requires you to be just mentally engaged enough that you can't focus on anything else (say, sorting something alphabetically), then I can't manage much of a mental voice at all.

But when I get the chance to draw or design I generally have the most coherent thoughts, they're either a very loud and clear inner monologue (which tends to be very much like speaking aloud, thoughts are turned into structured sentences and are in linear order), or my mind is working very quickly (things are out of order, there's not much mental monologue, but I can more quickly find associations between ideas and concepts).

Brolo on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unless I'm talking to myself, I think in pictures or scenes. This can be troublesome when I forget the word but know how to describe what it looks like or does. Describing it with hand gestures.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Quoth wrote: »

i do not think there is a specific voice that i can identify but i don't think in pictures or sounds, i think in words

I've never really thought about whose voice it is either, this is me

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hear my thoughts in my own voice. I don't really visualise them, but I visualise a lot of things if people are explaining something to me for example.

I also have a tendency to read people's posts in their actual voices if I know how they sound. If not I just make up a pretend voice. I love accents so everyone sounds different too!

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I usually think in a slightly younger me's voice. Although, when I'm reading for AP literature, I've gotten into the habit of imagining Patrick Stewart reading it in an attempt to make it more interesting.

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think with a voice definitely. Unless I'm really thinking about a problem then I use loosely formed images.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my thoughts are all in German so i have to get them translated

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    When I was a littler Wiet and didn't know English all that well I had to translate everything English to Dutch in my head first before I could understand it. As time passed I'd be faster and faster at it untill I could just straight up think in English without having to translate in my mind at all.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »

I've never really thought about whose voice it is either, this is me

yeah i sort of feel like it's not actually MY voice but i don't think it's any particular person's, mostly

and i think it isn't consistent either

i definitely hate hearing my voice on recordings

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've always wondered about multilingual types Wiet

Assuming you're not reading something that's specifically already in English, does your inner monologue default to being in Dutch?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i don't speak German

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

I can only speak English, but I always wondered if you had mastered another tongue if you could start thinking in another language, or if you spoke it for long enough that you're switch to thinking in something other than your native language.

Edit:

oh that's neat, Wiet!

This kind of psychology (describe what processes you feel are going on in your brain) has always interested me, although from what I've learned it's apparently horribly inaccurate, and prone to biases? I remember being told that it's not all that reliable for understanding how the mind actually works. Hopefully someone here is good at psych and can elaborate on that for me.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my thoughts are a constant debate of idiocy

Melding on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yes Scrum I am also insane

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i definitely hate hearing my voice on recordings

I've gradually got used to this but I was like this once, and I'm sure many others were

I often think my thought process is conversational, almost, as if there's a me and a brain-me debating something

And one of me will get vulgar and they'll stop talking to each other for ages until one of me tries to reconcile them

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Wiet wrote: »
    When I was a littler Wiet and didn't know English all that well I had to translate everything English to Dutch in my head first before I could understand it. As time passed I'd be faster and faster at it untill I could just straight up think in English without having to translate in my mind at all.

i am slowly experiencing this with german
    but it's pretty erratic and only happens with short, common phrases. I need to read more, I think.

ugh languages are hard.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

This is why I wish I had been taught a second language when I was younger.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I sound so whiny and nasally on recordings :(

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Assuming you're not reading something that's specifically already in English, does your inner monologue default to being in Dutch?

It does default to Dutch, but between a lot of English words creeping into common day use here and me interacting with English speaking people a lot it sometimes throws me off a little!

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    tracy's is more of a tactile-kinesthetic learning style

AMP'd, this need you have to be the smartest man in the thread is. . .off putting.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It does default to Dutch, but between a lot of English words are creeping into common day use here and me interacting with English speaking people a lot it sometimes throws me off a little!

Cool!

Liiya on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rolo wrote: »

I can only speak English, but I always wondered if you had mastered another tongue if you could start thinking in another language, or if you spoke it for long enough that you're switch to thinking in something other than your native language.

Edit:

oh that's neat, Wiet!

This kind of psychology (describe what processes you feel are going on in your brain) has always interested me, although from what I've learned it's apparently horribly inaccurate, and prone to biases? I remember being told that it's not all that reliable for understanding how the mind actually works. Hopefully someone here is good at psych and can elaborate on that for me.

rolo would you like to know about implicit and explicit memory

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

Edit:

oh that's neat, Wiet!

rolo would you like to know about implicit and explicit memory

tell me more, tam

Brolo on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have a lot a hypothetical conversations in my head.

Also re: the language thing, for me I just understood what was being said to me, I didn't have conciously translate it into english.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    what happens in your heads when you listen to music?

I tend to stop thinking altogether, except when I'm really engaging with lyrics, and let a kind of emotional saturation(?????) happen

Same, and if I do happen to start thinking much I'll realize that I haven't really registered the last few seconds of music.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Now I also wish my parents had forced me to learn another language (or two!) when I was very small

Little kid brains are wired to learn new languages! They pick up words like sponges

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

Aww, don't worry. Are you still intending to learn Dutch?

Learning English was incredibly easy for me. This country is constantly bombarded by the English language. Over here, foreign media is kept as English with Dutch subtitles. We don't do any dubbing like in Germany, so we still hear the English being spoken. Between that and videogames not having a Dutch language option, it means you're constantly exposed to it. It made learning it really easy because of constantly having to interact with it, even more so because I was a kid and picked it up faster.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I hear my own voice when I think, same with reading

the inner monologue itself is pretty flighty and disorganized, prone to long tangents

I very rarely think clear or concise thoughts unless I'm actively constructing a sentence, they are mostly more rapid fire and broadly conceptual than things that would make sense written down

I tend to stop thinking altogether, except when I'm really engaging with lyrics, and let a kind of emotional saturation(?????) happen

It depends on what I'm doing. It's impossible for me to read and listen to music at the same time, one audio stream seems to override the other.

But I can draw and listen to music with no problems at all, I find it's easier to pay attention to both sources.

EDIT: god between the post timer and the server too busy errors posting is painful, so painful

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Emotional saturation is a really interesting way of putting it

When I listen to music it's as if there's a chemical reaction going off

Atoms of music drifting around and latching on to existing thoughts to form new molecular bonds with my creativity
    It's like jabbing a stimulant into my brain, I love doing it while writing

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

Aww, don't worry. Are you still intending to learn Dutch?

Learning English was incredibly easy for me. This country is constantly bombarded by the English language. Over here, foreign media is kept as English with Dutch subtitles. We don't do any dubbing like in Germany, so we still hear the English being spoken. Between that and videogames not having a Dutch language option, it means you're constantly exposed to it. It made learning it really easy because of constantly having to interact with it, even more so because I was a kid and picked it up faster.

I should like to, yeah. If I went on holiday for a few weeks there I bet it'd help things along, being around it like you are.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I hear my own voice when I think, same with reading

the inner monologue itself is pretty flighty and disorganized, prone to long tangents

I very rarely think clear or concise thoughts unless I'm actively constructing a sentence, they are mostly more rapid fire and broadly conceptual than things that would make sense written down

If it's simple background music I generally don't pay much attention to it. Otherwise I usually let my mind drift and it starts constructing scenes around the music for some reason. I'm a dork.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hear my own voice

Or what I like to think my own voice sounds like

An idealized voice

When I listen to music I tend to either get involved with the beat enough that I don't really have coherent thoughts anymore, or I imagine them being used in movie trailers

Either or

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I definitely put voices to characters when I'm reading, but for some reason I can't really describe any of the voices even though everyone has a different voice.

premium on