As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question for any Boxers Out There

ChrisWChrisW Registered User new member
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
I know this is a stretch, but you guys are (more or less) reliable when it comes to providing advice, so I figured this was as good a place to ask as any (plus a couple boxing forums, too):

I've been going to a boxing gym for a couple months now. The last 20 minutes of every class is comprised of sparring: two boxers climb in the ring, put on head and groin protection and square off. The rest of the class does what the trainer calls "light sparring" – which is, well, exactly that: pairing-up, not hitting too hard and practicing what we learned in the first 40 minutes of the class. However, it's done without headgear.

At the risk of sounding like a wimp: Is this type of light sparring without headgear normal? And is it safe?

The hits aren't hard, but after all the research that's been coming out regarding successive blows to the head – even relatively light ones – I've started to wonder.

Thank you very much in advance.

ChrisW on

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did you pose this over in H/A? Because that might be a better spot for real advice.

Goose! on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    just remember: your face is the toughest part of your body, so be sure to put it in front of any incoming punches

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stupid question, but I'm assuming you're wearing gloves right

We're not talking bare knuckle here are we

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joe "Tricksy" Mahoney was famous for wearing away at the structural integrity of his opponents fists with his chin

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm more of a briefs

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to encourage new folks, I really do, but coming to a video game centric website and to its anything goes forum asking about boxing advice and head injuries doesn't sound like the best plan.

I would look for a fighters forum for this question, or ask a doctor. Maybe even a large black gentlemen that rides a bicycle and helps small white guys train to fight incredibly larger athletes.

Hunter on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    just remember: your face is the toughest part of your body, so be sure to put it in front of any incoming punches

Pay no attention to Wimp Lo. We purposely trained him wrong...as a joke.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    boxer-dog-1.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OP

You have my name

Why you have my name?

Let's hug and be buds

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What

Wear the headgear

Your brain is important

Don't be a dumbass

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    whoa

WHOA

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Boxers get cauliflower ear, right?

So yeah, wear it for that reason too.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I'm more of a briefs

damn you, you stole my crappy joke!

Bucketman on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Level up your butterflies and your bees.

mcp on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ChrisW wrote: »
    I know this is a stretch, but you guys are (more or less) reliable when it comes to providing advice, so I figured this was as good a place to ask as any (plus a couple boxing forums, too):

I've been going to a boxing gym for a couple months now. The last 20 minutes of every class is comprised of sparring: two boxers climb in the ring, put on head and groin protection and square off. The rest of the class does what the trainer calls "light sparring" – which is, well, exactly that: pairing-up, not hitting too hard and practicing what we learned in the first 40 minutes of the class. However, it's done without headgear.

At the risk of sounding like a wimp: Is this type of light sparring without headgear normal? And is it safe?

The hits aren't hard, but after all the research that's been coming out regarding successive blows to the head – even relatively light ones – I've started to wonder.

1010866confused.jpg

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    OP

You have my name

Why you have my name?

Let's hug and be buds

W-why do you both have my name?

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    pgr+boxcars.jpg

yes hello

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    OP

You have my name

Why you have my name?

Let's hug and be buds

W-why do you both have my name?

This means something. This is important.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »

bonus fact and lame observation: It's the only body body part you never cover up, unless you have certain fundamentalist beliefs.

I figured that out when last year for the first time in my life I broke something: my nose. It's not even a bone and everybody thinks I "walked into a door".
    I was drunk and I fell on my face, you stupid caring friend people!

moral of story: remember that people look at your face when they meet you, so be careful who you pick before they disfigure the only part of your body you can't hide.

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never wear underwear.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    We called that the "Sting-ah"

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why start boxing when you can play Snooker anyway?

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    web_exclusive_badge&$exclusive_hide=1

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

successive light and very hard blows to the head come with the territory of boxing

the old man says light sparring sans headgear is fine but how long do you spar? a few rounds? how long are they?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd guess the sparring goes for 20 minutes like he said.

Repeated head impacts should not be taken lightly, even if they don't seem to cause immediate damage. Football (not soccer) players' brains end up pretty damaged by the ends of their careers even if they don't have that many impacts that cause actual concussions.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    so how much natural headgear do you have

jowls absorb impacts very well

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    snowbeat are you being a bit facetious

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

If you don't like getting hit in the head, clinch. And while you're in your sweaty man-embrace, head butt your opponent or give in to your forbidden passion. :winky:

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, not wearing headgear is pretty dumb.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have 2 rescued boxer dogs and they are the sweetest dogs in the whole world and I love them so much yeshidoiloveyoulildoggies

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I punched both of those boxers in the head

and they don't even make dog helmets!

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is getting punched in the head safe

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I punched both of those boxers in the head

and they don't even make dog helmets!

angelsharktwocuteboxers.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would definitely wear the headgear even during the "light sparring". Even if it's a million-to-one chance that something could go wrong, that's still a stupid chance to make

And if they make fun of you, just punch them in their unprotected heads 'til they can't remember what they were laughing about

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also be sure to protect ya neck.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    headgear is for pussies bro