Options

White House Correspondents Dinner

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Tonight!

C-span's coverage starts at 6:45 PM ET.

Some guy named Seth Meyers is headlining. Expect next week's news cycle to be dominated by commentary about how mean the Comedian in Chief was.

MKR on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I doubt anyone will ever have the balls to top Colbert.

On an unrelated note, I hope the US Government is never so bad/misguided/whatever that there's good enough material for someone to top Colbert.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm

This or rockband

Wait, this and Mass Effect 2 I think

Problem solved. Go me.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    I doubt anyone will ever have the balls to top Colbert.

On an unrelated note, I hope the US Government is never so bad/misguided/whatever that there's good enough material for someone to top Colbert.

Yeah, instead of watching this tonight just watch Colbert again. What a fantastic night that was.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Greg Giraldo should do the Correspondents Dinner.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Should be ended, immediately.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish someone would have the balls to try and top Colbert, such a crowning moment of awesome.

Detharin on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tox wrote: »

I assume your joking, for that would be one very interesting Correspondents dinner.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd whine about missing this because of work, but I guess I only need highlights.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can see Trump being skewered, given how he's been driving the crazy that Obama told them off about and then denied it and said it was all the media's fault for constantly talking about it. Not really a good time to be such an easy target and to then piss off the political media.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alternately, it could be carpet bombed. That would be good.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like a giant golden circle jerk.

In fact that's pretty much exactly what it is.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The White House Correspondents' Dinner represents everything that is debased and decadent in our journalist class.

Hachface on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully we'll at least see more coverage than we did with Colbert's routine. I remember how, outside of the internet, the story was basically unreported.

Though I can't imagine anything topping it, really.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It was pretty widely covered as him bombing. Because it took shots at the press. The meanie.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I assume your joking, for that would be one very interesting Correspondents dinner.

Yes, my joking. Mostly, anyway. It would be funny to see somebody go up there and just do to everybody what Colbert did to Bush, though. That was pretty much the gold standard of awesome. And gold price's are on the rise!

Tox on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Trump got booed. :rotate:

MKR on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Colbert's speech was one of the balls-iest things I've ever seen. I mean, to take shots at the President like that, with him there - I hate GWB but I would never in a million years say that kind of thing to him. The reactions in the crowd are incredulous - "Is he actually doing this?"

big l on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The shots weren't at the President. Not really. They were at the press.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yes, my joking. Mostly, anyway. It would be funny to see somebody go up there and just do to everybody what Colbert did to Bush, though. That was pretty much the gold standard of awesome. And gold price's are on the rise!

I don't think you're getting why Greg Giraldo in his current state hosting the White House Correspondents Dinner would be 'very interesting'.

It's less because he's a roast comic and more because he's dead. Died last year. Sad, really. Gilbert Gottfried did a quick roast of him on Twitter like 2 hours after he died.

EDIT: Now Gilbert Gottfried hosting the dinner would be interesting, if only because I'd like to see a cross section of our nation's elected officials be treated to an Aristocrats joke of such blinding vulgarity that CSPAN gets an FCC fine.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

There were plenty of digs on the President. The stuff about how "he and I both think from the gut, no matter what other information we get."

big l on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    big l wrote: »

There were plenty of digs on the President. The stuff about how "he and I both think from the gut, no matter what other information we get."

"We believe the same thing on Thursday that we did on Tuesday, no matter what happened on Wednesday." (or something to that effect)

"There are some that would say that this is like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, I disagree, I'd say this presidency is soaring, so it's more like rearranging the deckchairs on the Hindenburg."

"Somebody pinch me. Actually, I'm a pretty deep sleeper. Someone shoot me in the face. He's not here? The one guy that could've helped me."

He took plenty of shots at journalism, but there were some juicy stabs at the president and those government in general.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I don't think you're getting why Greg Giraldo in his current state hosting the White House Correspondents Dinner would be 'very interesting'.

It's less because he's a roast comic and more because he's dead. Died last year. Sad, really. Gilbert Gottfried did a quick roast of him on Twitter like 2 hours after he died.

EDIT: Now Gilbert Gottfried hosting the dinner would be interesting, if only because I'd like to see a cross section of our nation's elected officials be treated to an Aristocrats joke of such blinding vulgarity that CSPAN gets an FCC fine.

Yeah, it seems like I knew that. Oh well, put Jeffrey Ross up there, nobody will know the difference.

Gilbert Gottfried has gotten pretty funny now that he's not really a "pop" comic anymore.

Now, Norm Macdonald? Always hilarious. I watched the roast of Bob Saget with a few friends, and I was the only one laughing my ass off at him, but I find his overly dry jokes to be just great.

Tox on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    Trump got booed. :rotate:

More like Donald Chump.

Henroid on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there a reason to watch this? The only notable one I can think of is the Steven Colbert one because that man has balls for days.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, it's over, so no. It's a circle jerk with Trump jokes that are safer than the jokes on your average Weekend Update. At this point I think it's all a big excuse for creepy old men to ogle attractive celebrities that they invite.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is pretty good...

Biden jokes will never get old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mzJhvC-8E

xraydog on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The whole thing was pretty good, but the intro was goddamn hilarious and kind of made everything else seem anticlimatic.

Magell on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not American, but what is going on with the birth certificate?

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Obama managed to get an exception from the state of Hawaii to release it (long-form version), Trump was a goose and tied taking credit for it, and many birthers are still frothing at the mouth believing the document to be fake via the magic of photoshopping or whatever.

I think that is about right unless I missed something.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    I'm not American, but what is going on with the birth certificate?

30 percent of the country is really insane and really loud and believes that Obama wasn't born in America. In 2008, he released his birth certificate, and like most conspiracy theories, facts didn't do anything to stop them. Now an insane political candidate has been making a big issue, fanning the flames of the theory saying shit like "What's he hiding? I have investigators that are looking into this and you won't believe what they're telling me." Then Obama gets the state of Hawaii to release his long form birth certificate, something that's very unusual, but they made a special case for him. The conspiracy theorists have now moved onto to other things, like his college grades and social security number and how his long form birth certificate is photoshopped and blah blah blah.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    He's not a political candidate. He's the host of a TV show.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it really 30%? I really can't believe that. Unless it is a lot of old people in which case, I get it.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, the Colbert performance has its own massive wiki page.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2011
    There was a poll last month, a respected one, that had the republican party at 51% birther or birther-curious.

So, take that at at least 25% of the country.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The fuck.

No wonder America is going down the toilet.

In other news, $US1 = $AUS 1.09

Its now cheaper for me to import a lot of stuff :D

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jintor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    There was a poll last month, a respected one, that had the republican party at 51% birther or birther-curious.

So, take that at at least 25% of the country.

Birther-curious?

Ahaha, what a turn of phrase!

Seriously though, have the demographics been broken down further? Like, by age, race, gender etc? Currently I was of the thought that most birthers were older people, mainly white, located across the south and parts of midwest. Haven't really thought about it much past that and I could be wrong. Would be interesting to see the demographics broken down, so if anyone has a relevant link, please do share.

Because if most birthers are pushing 90 or happen to be adrenaline junkies who like to live dangerously we have less to worry about.

I think.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's TPM's term, Josh Marshall's specifically. As for the demographics, think Republican.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Obamas intro was pretty darn good. The digs on trump may have been safe and easy, but they were tinged with cynicism, which is unusual for Obama. But understandable, and deserved. The guy really is a horses ass. And however shallow this may sound, the truth is that Trump is unelectable purely based on his ridiculous hair, without even considering a single other aspect of him.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've been so tempted to draw Trump being a total hand-banana for the Hand-Banana 2012 thread.

I was thinking Trump as Poochie. What do y'all think?

Muse Among Men on