Options

MOTW 5/4/11 - Wednesday is Hot Poker Day!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
Secret Six #33, Simone must have been dared to include a furry:

img069.jpg

That's Blake's mom, finally finding her bastard husband in hell with his help. Nice revenge.

img070.jpg

img071.jpg

King Shark's hell was being rich and famous but being in a world where everything is vegetarian.

And Annihilators #3, the worst beings in the marvel universe make a return:

img068.jpg

Annihilators better get ready for some genocide fun, go team!

TexiKen on

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Come on man, you gotta have the Skrulls around

They are evil shapeshifting green space dudes. Perfect villains! Just because there was a big hoo-haa on Earth about them doesn't mean they can't be in fun cosmic stories!

Solar on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone pick up prelude to schism, I was debating it but I'm not sure if it's a necessary/good read.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I did. It's ok/good, nothing more than Xavier reflecting on Scott growing up since he was the first X-Man. Some nice scenes, but nothing really necessary for Schism if you've been reading any x-book for the past few months. The only thing it might suggest is Cyclops taking a hard turn to Magneto's view, refelcting how Xavier's closest friend and his son, basically, have turned away from his line of thinking.

This might be a weird thing to notice but the lettering was fantastic, some of the best work I've seen in a comic recently.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Heroes for Hire #6 is my book of the week, fun story, Spider-Man is actually funny in it with his interactions with Paladin, and Batroc shows up too. It's a good jumping on point, drop Fear Itself and hop on board:

heroesforhire6d.jpg

heroesforhire6e.jpg

Batroc compliments Paladin for knowing some hardcore parkour, then says

heroesforhire6f.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »

They are evil shapeshifting green space dudes. Perfect villains! Just because there was a big hoo-haa on Earth about them doesn't mean they can't be in fun cosmic stories!

I thought Tex was talking about the Wraiths (unless these are not the Wraith Wraiths)

Also, I found Swamp Thing: A Murder of Crows in a used bookstore a couple weeks back, and just finished reading it yesterday. It's written by Alan Moore, and the issues center around Crisis on Infinite Earths and damn was it good.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My motw is from fear itself #2, its not a motw but more of a "identities of the first worthies" kind of thing actually
    Juggernaut pairs with the god of rock breaking
    Hulk - Green- pairs with god of the world breaking -funny how they have a god for that-
    Titania pairs with some feminist god and becomes wonder woman
    Tigershark becomes the god of water pollution and attacks BP oil rigs.

It is kinda disappointing that story is still building up even after the 2nd issue but you can see that big things are going to happen. Juggernaut basicly diverts the raft in half with a single blow. It seems worthy characters are able to keep their original powers, though the god that posses them seems in control -mostly-.

Dreamon on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dreamon wrote: »
    My motw is from fear itself #2, its not a motw but more of a "identities of the first worthies" kind of thing actually
    Hulk - Green- pairs with god of the world breaking -funny how they have a god for that-

It is kinda disappointing that story is still building up even after the 2nd issue but you can see that big things are going to happen. Juggernaut basicly diverts the raft in half with a single blow. It seems worthy characters are able to keep their original powers, though the god that posses them seems in control -mostly-.

Thats Attuma, not Tiger shark.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ringo wrote: »

I thought Tex was talking about the Wraiths (unless these are not the Wraith Wraiths)

Also, I found Swamp Thing: A Murder of Crows in a used bookstore a couple weeks back, and just finished reading it yesterday. It's written by Alan Moore, and the issues center around Crisis on Infinite Earths and damn was it good.

The wraiths are actually sympathetic in the issue, they just want to be left alone and have no desire to fight the space knights. And I never read any ROM stuff so I don't know how bad they were before. They couldn't be worse than the skrulls, though (except Super Skrull).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I actually really like the Skrulls as a race. They make a fantastic foil against the Kree.

Now then, my Moments of the Week

Moon Knight 1 - Goddamn this book was gorgeous. It is like Maleev cut off Bill Sienkiewicz's head at his prime and stole his mojo. Bendis pulled back on the Bendisspeak, outside of a very Tarintino-esque moment between two mob goons, which was very refreshing. I enjoy his take on Marc Spector so far, he cracks a joke or two but is mostly a pretty serious guy. The telling of Moon Knights admittedly weird origin via TV show was very clever and played beautifully. Just a great first issue all around.

Heroes for Hire 6 - Well shit, I was planning on dropping this book. The last two issues bored me to tears as I find Misty Knight shockingly uninteresting. Paladin is great but goddamn Misty is a black hole of interesting things. Hopefully they keep her in the backseat and let Paladin and whatever heroes are in the issue take center stage like they did here. Paladin's desire for respect adds a new wrinkle to the character and DnA write a surprisingly hilarious Spider-Man. Very fun issue and the cover of Issue 7 promises a velociraptor fight.

Fear Itself 2 - More set-up, really. It isn't bad set-up at all! Fraction is able to cover a whole bunch of current events going on in the Marvel Universe, from the FF to Hulk and Betty's relationship, pretty well. The Hulk/Betty scene in particular read like something straight out of Incredible Hulk. I also really like Absorbing Man and Titania's subjugation of some poor third world peoples into mining diamonds. Classic supervilliany. The pure insanity of giant robot Nazi mechs flying around Washington DC is awesome comic-book-goodness. I wish there was more action and that the superheroes played a bigger role, but I am excited for the next issue.

Herc 2 - Pretty rock solid follow-up to issue 1's worldbuilding. Hobgoblin's Looney Tune personality got a little bit grating, but Herc's ever bombastic personality made up for it. I really loved his speech in particular. The fact that even as a mortal Herc becomes this big damn hero who parties and everyone loves is hilarious and perfect for the character. The revelation of the head of Ares' cult was...well, not surprising. It makes sense and everything but I don't really feel excited about it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

The wraiths are actually sympathetic in the issue, they just want to be left alone and have no desire to fight the space knights. And I never read any ROM stuff so I don't know how bad they were before. They couldn't be worse than the skrulls, though (except Super Skrull).

Dude they're way worse than the Skrulls. In the original ROM book they were literally pure evil.

Furu on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Batroc is amazing. I think I need to sign on to Heroes for Hire.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Avengers Academy Giant-Size is an amazing book and you should be ashamed if you didn't pick it up! ASHAMED!

Furu on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Avengers Academy Giant-Size is an amazing book and you should be ashamed if you didn't pick it up! ASHAMED!

Word! Yes, I said word like that. The Giant Size Avengers Academy has David Baldeon on pencils so it looks like Young Allies and even has a little Bill Watterson tribute if you look hard enough.

...or look here:
    c_and_h.jpg

But yeah, it was a fun ass book.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    See

I did follow Young Allies, which was a great book. I have only read the hardcover of Academy and it wasn't bad at all.

However, Paul Tobin left out pretty much every single one of my favorite characters on both teams. Only Reptil was left standing. I just don't understand why you would do a Young Allies/Avengers Academy crossover and leave out half of both teams.

That plus the 7.99 price point when we have had 80-Page one-shots for 4 and 5.99 lately kept me from buying it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Did you note Gravity on the cover of the prom issue of Avengers Academy, maybe they're injecting AA with some YA?

Edit: And I probably should have read my issue of AA #13 before posting about Giant Size, cos ya know what?
    FUCK YES! Butterball bitches! And the Initiative. And the Young Avengers. Fuck. Yes.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't think they are, the theme of the issue was Young Superhero Prom.

Gravity's gonna be busy over in Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    See

I did follow Young Allies, which was a great book. I have only read the hardcover of Academy and it wasn't bad at all.

However, Paul Tobin left out pretty much every single one of my favorite characters on both teams. Only Reptil was left standing. I just don't understand why you would do a Young Allies/Avengers Academy crossover and leave out half of both teams.

That plus the 7.99 price point when we have had 80-Page one-shots for 4 and 5.99 lately kept me from buying it.

Here's why
    Tobin totally sets up a romantic relationship between Reptil and Spider-Girl

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well AA #13 was chock full of Initiative characters and Young Allies, but it's probably just to showcase the characters that are gonna be in "Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt". So I'm trying not to get my hopes up here. But
    seeing as Reptil is now kinda dating Spider-Girl there should be a least a little cross over goodness in the future.

Edit: Damn it furu...... Also said set up is continued in #13.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    See

Here's why
    Tobin totally sets up a romantic relationship between Reptil and Spider-Girl
    While I do like that

I am still pretty pissed that Gravity, Nomad, Mettle AND Hazmat were left out.

I mean it is like Tobin picked out the characters I dig and left em out on purpose.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure if I like it because it means no lesbians!

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This

this is a joke, yes?

Otherwise severe :? Mr. Furu

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay, just read Moon Knight #1. It was fantastic!
    The ending that basically showed you what kind of direction Bendis is taking Spector's crazy was well worth the price of the book. Excellent fight between MK and Mr. Hyde, just such a great book. /gush

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This

this is a joke, yes?

I want Marvel to have a female character duo in a romantic relationship that don't die horribly all the time in some desperate effort to get people to care about them

I AM SORRY IF THAT IS OFFENSIVE

Furu on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm still waiting for a book about Victoria Hand and Domestic partner Valkyrie raising a child together they got via artificial insemination from John Walker.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This

this is a joke, yes?

I want Marvel to have a female character duo in a romantic relationship that don't die horribly all the time in some desperate effort to get people to care about them

Furu are you ok? Do you need a hug?

youngxmen7a-1.jpg

I agree that they would have been a nice couple and it was done the right way with the buildup.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You my bro, Tex

even if you did post a panel from Young X-Men

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rockslide is crying there

oh man he is such a great character

Solar on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where are Cyclops' legs in that picture?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2011

KindergartenCop.jpg

IT'S NOT ATTUMA!

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Goddamnit

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This

this is a joke, yes?

Man I ain't offended by lesbians. They are pretty rad.

But Nomad and Spider-Girl have been just friends. No sexual tension. They even talk about boys they may like and past relationships they've had.

You are shipping.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bravo, good sir!

Edit: To DMAC.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Shipping characters who are friends and established as straight because you want to see more gay/lesbian couples in comics is a pretty terrible trait of some Scans_Daily posters.

Do you want to be like that Furu? Like them?

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'LL SHIP IF I WANNA

MAYBE THEY'RE BISEXUAL HUH

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    AINT NO BISEXCICLES IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

WILLIAM STRYKER TOLD ME SO

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tigra and Hank boning in the Avengers thread, lesbian shipping in the MOTW thread...

Spring fever in the GV forum?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DMAC wrote: »

KindergartenCop.jpg

IT'S NOT ATTUMA!

Marry me.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not a bad week for comics (for me anyhow), but not great.

Secret Six was okay, but I'm really kind of tired of the whole, "Here's your deepest fears/personal Hell!" thing. Besides that, the issue was mostly just wheel-spinning. Oddly enough, I thought Scandal's girlfriend Liana got the best moment in the issue.

But, Calafiore's art's getting seriously sloppy. His faces are lacking any kind of structure in some panels, looking like big, blank ovals with eyes and a mouth pasted onto them. Though, a better colorist could really help with that, too.

Herc was a bit of a letdown from last issue, with Herc acting decidedly un-Hercy in a couple of instances. I'll elaborate more on that in the Street Heroes thread. My favorite part of the issue was actually Rhea, the girl Herc slept with in the first issue, pulling some kind of weird goo-ghost out of Hobgoblin's bag, and chucking it at him. It's nice knowing he has something besides pumpkin bombs in there.

On the plus side, Doom Patrol #22 was pretty good, despite the too-sudden wrap up for the series. The Doom Patrol score a decisive win over their evil counterparts, Danny the Bungalow goes through yet another metamorphosis, and an unlikely hero wins the day.
    YP41C.jpg
    Yep, Oolong Island is now Danny Island.

y6qid.jpg
    This page is really classic Giffen, and classic Ambush Bug. With no way to properly wrap up the story, Ambush Bug simply pops in, whispers to the villain that the series is being canceled in a way that pokes at both DC's big Summer tentpole event, as well as Giffen's inability to get the series to sell, and then everyone just sort of shrugs their shoulders as the series comes to a conclusion.

Deadpool Annual #1, aka Identity Wars 2 of 3, was also pretty strong. John Layman seems much more at home writing about Deadpool than Spider-man, really playing up the more surreal and humorous aspects of the character, and he has an excellent collaborator in artist Juan Doe, who's able to really bring his script to life. Though, I'm puzzled by Doe's decision to use filtered photo backgrounds in a few instances. I'd understand if it was for a cityscape, or something similarly time-consuming. But he photo-filtered a bookshelf, and a single, boxy building. Neither of which would have taken long to draw, conventionally.

Still, the way he draws people is top notch.
    In an alternate universe, Deadpool's found happiness and companionship in his equally crazed doppelganger, Deathwish.
    tkTAD.jpg

As it turns out, Deathwish is actually a manic Victor Von Doom, and alternate universe Wade is a guy named Death Mask, who decides to kill Deathwish. Consequently, Deadpool decides to take revenge on Death Mask, and starts knocking off his underlings.
    yquaL.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really, really enjoyed the Deadpool Annual. Much more than the current Deadpool series, in fact (you were right about last week's issue, Munch).

I didn't realize - going in - that the Deadpool Annual was a follow-up to the Spider-Man Annual. Was that issue worth buying?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They summed up anything you'd be interested in knowing in the Deadpool annual. It's not a necessary read unless you're gonna get Hulk Annual to have parts 1,2 and 3.

cardboard delusions on