As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thoughts on fixing a PS2 Slim

DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
Hey all!

I picked up a PS2 Slim recently at a thrift store ($20 with cables, controllers, and in cosmetically great shape) and it works great with one exception.

Sometimes -- say, 40% of the time -- when I drop a game into the disc drive and close the lid, it won't spin up. I have to close the lid just so...and by that I mean, it's a closing action that requires a loud "click" and a finger needs to be pressed down onto the back part of the lid in just the right place.

It's mildly annoying and I'm not averse to opening this bad boy up, but before I do I'm wondering if anyone here has encountered this before and has some pointers or guidelines.

Divebommah on

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Unfortunately, it's probably a bit more complex than just a simple button like it is on most old school systems (like a dreamcast that I actually fixed this same problem on a couple weeks ago). There's some weird stuff in there to keep people from being able to do stuff like swap tricking to play imported and pirated games.

From having worked on a couple non-slim ps2s, be really careful when you're opening it to keep from pulling the ribbon cable for the power/reset buttons. They would get messed up really easily on the fats, and I'd imagine it's similar on the slims.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth