As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Re-enabling change desktop

RohanRohan Registered User regular
We have a thing going in our apartment that when someone has left their pc unlocked, it's ripe for a desktop background change - stuff like whatever scares the person (spiders, clowns, etc.) and embarrassing pictures of genitalia... which is always a horrible shock. Anyway, trying to be clever, I disabled change desktop using the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) under User Configuration/Administrative Templates\Desktop\Desktop. Specifically, I enabled Prohibit Changes.

Obviously it wasn't a clever move at all because I thought it would preserve my current desktop slideshow and prevent further changes - instead it got stuck on whatever wallpaper was in rotation at the time. Since then, I've been unable to change the desktop background - I cannot do it by right-clicking on a file and setting as background, and it's greyed out in Control Panel along with a message that the administrator has disabled certain settings. No shit, Sherlock.

I've looked online and all anyone has to say is to change the Prohibit Changes thing to Not Configured, the default setting, pressing okay and then restarting - but this isn't undoing the damage. I've also found registry "fixes" that fix absolutely nothing at all. Does anyone know how to re-enable my lovely desktop slideshow? And does anybody know of any programs that would stop people from changing the background? If not, I'll have to live with the shock of seeing spiders/genitals on my monitor - but at least I can change it back!

TL;DR - disabled change background in gpedit.msc. Going back to original setting doesn't help.

Edit - Running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, btw.

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
Rohan on

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does this help?

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seems there's a difference in Windows 7 and XP - instead of Explorer, there's another entry called ActiveDesktop. I opened that, it had a NoChangingWallpaper setting with a value of 1. Changing that to 0 did the trick. Cheers dude!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten